Topic Stats

• 204 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by applejuice
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 89 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

addtext_com_MTYxNTAzNzUwMDI.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 15.12.51.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 15.12.08.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 15.47.46.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 12.08.59.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 11.55.18.png
minecartinfo1.png
minecart5.png
minecart info2.png
minecart2.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 19.52.19.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 16.29.03.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.34.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.34.08 1.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.27.18.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 12.18.55.png

There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 4 years ago

Update: Some new pics of various modes and award graphics during them. Been working with Eric on sorting out some of the niggles with masked fonts. Indy has a lot of layered modes with multiple font layers so i really wanted to get this fixed. The mask helps to isolate a font when a graphic layer is underneath by placing a 1 pixel black border around. There were some old issues with fonts missing the last pixel column off these and other missing pixels. Eric and Rosh worked out a really nice solution to fix the issue within pyprocgame's framework, so i'm glad to be taking advantage of this Eric also helped again by fixing up a lot of my fonts to be fully compatible with the new update. Thanks Eric.

Tank Chase

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 11.41.37.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 11.47.57 2.png

Get The Idol

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 11.54.16.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 11.54.27 1.png

Street of Cairo

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 12.01.15.png

Well of Souls

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 12.03.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 12.03.33.png

Rope Bridge
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 12.31.13.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 12.31.21 1.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 12.31.21 2.png

1 week later
#152 4 years ago

Update: Been fine tuning my secret video mode (werewolf attack from dracula) which i've added in to the game. You start this by holding down the right flipper as you enter the mode start hole for raven bar. Have been improving the modes logic somewhat on detecting a wolf's position and which gun sprite to use depending on that position. Also the scoring awards are now higher if you shoot the wolves later, i.e closer to you and i've also added a custom kill screen for when you don't make it. Eric has sorted out the colourisation on the frames and all is looking rather good now.

Some screen shots of latest testing

Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.27.18.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.34.08 1.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 16.29.03.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 19.52.19.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 12.10.14.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.34.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 12.18.55.png

#153 4 years ago

Hi Jim,

You seriously have too much spare time

Looking good, I need to dig around the font masking myself sometime.

#154 4 years ago

Wow, just wow. I need to get cracking on my IJ restore....

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Hi Jim,
You seriously have too much spare time
Looking good, I need to dig around the font masking myself sometime.

Cheers Mark, your F14 is looking nice to. I'm tempted to see what rgb leds i can add to indy to but that is for later!!. If you need help on the font mask front, drop me a line direct and i'll see what i can help with

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Wow, just wow. I need to get cracking on my IJ restore....

Thanks This project is a serious labour of love and insane on the hours front, but getting nice comments always spurs you on In my 4th year working on this now, though i haven't been doing it constantly. I fit it in amongst my other work

#157 4 years ago

So then, RGB LEDs. What do people think of maybe adding this to the tasks list on my indy rewrite project? At first i was a little disappointed Indy doesn't have more clear lenses, as most are either green or yellow.

However, then i was thinking yellow arrow inserts could be turned yellow, orange and red where the colour could signify some sort of additional progress or points score, like timed combos or more detailed jackpot award shots for example

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

So then, RGB LEDs. What do people think of maybe adding this to the tasks list on my indy rewrite project? At first i was a little disappointed Indy doesn't have more clear lenses, as most are either green or yellow.
However, then i was thinking yellow arrow inserts could be turned yellow, orange and red where the colour could signify some sort of additional progress or points score, like timed combos or more detailed jackpot award shots for example

I think color changing inserts add so much depth and information to games, I love seeing more uses of them.

#159 4 years ago

Update: So i've started work on the final mode yet to remake. Number 12 of 12 - Minecart. This is my 4th video mode that i've redone.

Here are some pics of progress so far. I have extracted all the dmd data that i need. 15 separate files for this one and i got a basic mode coded up tonight with the basics working. Getting the layering positioning correct is a tricky bit of it, so that will continue tomorrow. Also, no colour yet, as i need to pass the frames to Eric.

minecartinfo1.pngminecart info2.pngminecart5.pngminecart2.png

#160 4 years ago

Update: Got the mine cart running pretty good now and feels pretty much like the original i remember. Going to shoot a video i think later this weekend hopefully, to show it running. Hard to get a good still screen shot of this one.

So on the tech front, i now have complete control of :

- How many tunnels to start
- How many track sections per mode
- The point at which the bonus award is applied
- The value per tunnel
- The point at which to start double barriers
- Complete randomisation every time of the barrier positions

Had a few long evenings building it all up. 20 hours in roughly on this one so far

#161 4 years ago

Video showing the operation of the new mine cart mode addition

#162 4 years ago

Truly great work!

You planning on sharing this?
Got a rough time frame for completion?

1 month later
#163 4 years ago

Amazing work.

#164 4 years ago

That really does look cool

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Update: Got the mine cart running pretty good now and feels pretty much like the original i remember. Going to shoot a video i think later this weekend hopefully, to show it running. Hard to get a good still screen shot of this one.
So on the tech front, i now have complete control of :
- How many tunnels to start
- How many track sections per mode
- The point at which the bonus award is applied
- The value per tunnel
- The point at which to start double barriers
- Complete randomisation every time of the barrier positions
Had a few long evenings building it all up. 20 hours in roughly on this one so far

Cool Other games need Complete randomisation for video modes or at lest a setting for video modes off maybe put that setting into this game as well.

#166 4 years ago

4 years of work off and on? I sure hope you have a backup of a backup of a backup of all this code in various places . Keep going! Looks great!!

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Cool Other games need Complete randomisation for video modes or at lest a setting for video modes off maybe put that setting into this game as well.

Yes, I may add an option to turn off video modes, which would reduce the number of modes to 9. Settings are great as they allow pretty much and combination, or option to be a possibility.

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

4 years of work off and on? I sure hope you have a backup of a backup of a backup of all this code in various places . Keep going! Looks great!!

Yes, there's a few backups and yep over 4 years on and off now. (I have written my recreation of whirlwind to in that time )

All the game code is available as open source on my github area: http://github.com/mypinballs
The sounds and coloured dmd frames aren't. They are backed up privately.

I will try and get an updated video of the mine cart mode taken soon, as i have full colour in there now. Here are some screen grabs of the main background . I have added lanterns to the tunnel walls, to match the movie a little closer

Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 15.12.51.pngScreen Shot 2015-04-20 at 15.12.08.png

2 weeks later
#169 4 years ago

I haven't read all the posts yet but I am wondering if this works on non-color DMD. Just the standard one?

Also, how would a person put this into action on his ij?

#170 4 years ago

Ok. I read them now. New board and a computer. Does raspberry Pi have enough power?

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I haven't read all the posts yet but I am wondering if this works on non-color DMD. Just the standard one?
Also, how would a person put this into action on his ij?

Quoted from paynemic:

Ok. I read them now. New board and a computer. Does raspberry Pi have enough power?

You can use an original dmd and not a colour screen if you so wish. The graphics still work in monochrome. I personally like the colorisation that myself and Eric did so much, i don't think i could ever go back to 'orange'.

I terms of computers I use intel socket based ones, as the rPi doesn't have enough power to run games with dmd animations or lcd screens.

This project is not yet complete and i only list the source code for it, as this is the part i own and wrote from scratch. I offer it out to the community as open source so others can see how i wrote things and write their own games. I don't include any of the customised graphics or sounds at the moment.

1 week later
#172 4 years ago

Update: I finished adding all the mine cart coloured graphics in and shot a video of it all in game play

Also, now i have pretty much everything in place for the game rules, i though i'd shoot a few full length game vids to start updating my bugs list, missing items etc and also to show an updated game play. Please excuse the poor playing skills by myself, it seems i'm not too good when the camera is on! The following vid has a few games played by myself so i can show you a few different film modes and some of the multiball modes etc. There's bugs in there to fix still, as its all work in progress. This game is complex Enjoy

#173 4 years ago

Organising my day so i can have an anfteroon hours playing some more and working though some bug fixes and things. Also looking at adding mode timer pausing in, as i noticed yesterday that this is still to be added. Also i fixed a 'bad' font that crept out into the light yesterday (Thanks Eric for picking this one up)

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 11.55.18.png

And here's a better video of more game play and i actually got to shoot some of the new features i've added. Stacked Multiball (Main and QM) and Add-a-ball on normal QM. So the way it works is if you get qm running first then you can still start the main multiball by locking balls. You can't do it the other way round. If you just have QM running then you can add-a-ball by shooting the mode start hole.

A question for owners of indy and people interested in this rewrite. What do you think about QM play and the POA interaction. Currently I am following the original rules in terms of POA lit after multiball play ends, but what do you think about it the other way round. i.e if you start QM whilst POA is running? Should this be possible??? Should QM start and POA be cancelled and re-queued???? Should they both remain active???? Thoughts welcome.

#174 4 years ago

Never knew you had this on the go! Nice

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from BigPhil:

Never knew you had this on the go! Nice

Yep, on and off for about 4 years now. I work on it when i can fit it in between all my other company projects. I have created a whirlwind rewrite in that time to. Indy is my all time favourite game, so i love working on it.

#176 4 years ago

Update: Been working on the mode pausing. Got it working on the poa adventure timer and the first of the main film modes - get the idol. Working on the laptop, now to update the game and play some games.

Mode timers will pause if the ball enters the upper lanes, jets, mode start, or a ball is locked.

#177 4 years ago

Awwwman, every time I read an update I wish I could run this software on my game....

#178 4 years ago

Anyway to share the rom's when they are completed or will this be a personal one copy version? Sorry, just getting into this thread.

#179 4 years ago

BTW, anyone else get goosebumps with excitement every time you hear the Indiana Jones theme song start? F**king love this game. Cant imagine how epic it would be with even better rules ect. It is already perfect and now this is, it is just mind blowing. Keep up the great work!

#180 4 years ago

It's not a ROM upgrade as such. It runs on a PROC setup, which I have sitting waiting, fingers crossed that one day I can install it into my game and enjoy it.

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

It's not a ROM upgrade as such. It runs on a PROC setup, which I have sitting waiting, fingers crossed that one day I can install it into my game and enjoy it.

Ahhhh, yes... The PROC. I was thinking about that board the other day. I want to make a Bar table with multiple flippers and buttons for multiple people all playing at the same time. But for that, I could prob just use Raspberry Pi.

#182 4 years ago

Quick pic of a new setting related to mode timer pausing. This is the length of time before the timers will start up again if no other 'pause mode' switches are hit. Adjustable from 1 to 4 seconds, default 2 seconds

Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 12.08.59.png

#183 4 years ago

Hence the code update

#184 4 years ago

Update: made a few tweaks to the POA and mini palyfield code and added a new screen to show when you continue your adventure instead of showing the playfield instructions again.

Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 15.47.46.png

Also fixed some mode layer stacking issues which were stopping the progress animations from the mini playfield being shown on screen

Also added a new setting to set the pit lit level on adventures.

1 week later
#185 4 years ago

Update: Been working with Eric on sorting out some of the more advanced animations so that they match a little more authentically. For example the Hand Of Fate animation is pretty complex, using a masked transition to change screens and also reveal the selections. As well as that a further animation is overlaid on top to sync with the masks. Here's a screen capture video of my progress to date on this. I will add another game play video once its updated into the game and i've got all the possible selections setup correctly. Notice that the eternal life award isn't actually yin the list. I set the award as fixed so i could test awards that play animations once revealed.

#186 4 years ago

Wow that's really nice Jim, well done!

#187 4 years ago

This is looking incredible. Keep up the great work. I'd love to donate some cash for a copy of this when you're all done.

#188 4 years ago

If only I had an IJ

1 month later
#189 4 years ago

Update: Thought it was about time i added a new video of some game play. Been trying to get a decent video showing a few games with different modes and achieving a good few things. This is what i've managed so far. I got the new hand of fate transitions in there to!

#190 4 years ago

Very well done

#191 4 years ago

Fantastic work!
Any idea of a release date of version 1.0? Or is the current version stable and sufficiently complete for converting my IJ?

Cheers,
Ken

1 week later
#192 4 years ago

Update: So i did a few tweaks recently and i think i finally sorted out the interaction of the path of adventure whilst other modes and features are running. I added a flag to determine if the path of adventure should be cancelled if lit and requeued whilst certain specific modes and multi balls are running. There were a few bugs will this, which i have now got to the bottom of.

Would be interested to hear what people think of allowing POA whilst quick multiball is running or not. With the setup i now have i could add a setting to turn this on or off etc in the game adjustments

Also, i have been improving the mode pause stuff for modes and features when a wayward ball goes into the jets and up to the top lanes etc.

And in other news, i have finally bought a Stern Indy! I have a spare p-roc board to, so i am thinking about what to do here. Some suggestions are to port over my game here to run on this game to. I am interested to hear what people think and what ideas you have for it. I will hopefully have something up and running with it all being well for my stand at Play Expo here in the uk in October.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

And in other news, i have finally bought a Stern Indy! I have a spare p-roc board to, so i am thinking about what to do here. Some suggestions are to port over my game here to run on this game to. I am interested to hear what people think and what ideas you have for it. I will hopefully have something up and running with it all being well for my stand at Play Expo here in the uk in October.

Cool! Can't wait to see wha you do with it. I've always enjoyed Stern Indy but can't help eying the play field for ways to mod out the Crystal Skull references. With Proc you could make it an original trilogy game for real!

#194 4 years ago

Looks like I'm going to have to look out for an Indy.....

1 week later
#196 4 years ago

Dude, you are a machine! How many custom projects you got going on?

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Dude, you are a machine! How many custom projects you got going on?

A few! In terms of software i now have 3 open source p-roc game rewrites and my custom controller board set framework for early Bally and Stern games. Then there's the hardware stuff, like my cpu and sound boards and everything here: http://mypinballs.co.uk/electronics/store.jsp. Definitely keeps me busy and i have plenty of other ideas for the future to

#198 4 years ago

Fantastic - keep up the good spirit Applejuice

#199 4 years ago

Quick shout to 'This Flippin Podcast'.

A friend of mine here in the UK mentioned that i got a mention on their show regarding this project , so i checked it out. Great chat. Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes on iTunes. Looking forward to hearing more about one of the guys Indiana Jones restorations. I really enjoyed restoring my wms one (quite awhile back now) and we all know how much i like the game The stern indy restoration is going good to over on the other thread, with the custom software port over starting soon to

3 weeks later
#200 4 years ago

So i got to chat with the 'this flippin podcast' guys last night on their show and had a great time talking about my pinball history and projects such as this that i've been working on. Coming soon to iTunes

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside