By applejuice

3 years ago

Stats

• 204 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by applejuice
  • Topic is favorited by 61 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 89 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

addtext_com_MTYxNTAzNzUwMDI.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 15.12.51.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 15.12.08.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 15.47.46.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 12.08.59.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 11.55.18.png
minecartinfo1.png
minecart5.png
minecart info2.png
minecart2.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 19.52.19.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 16.29.03.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.34.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.34.08 1.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.27.18.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 12.18.55.png

There are 204 posts in topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 2 years ago

Eeeh, the hilights on the idol face thing don't look as good as I hoped in actual use.

/edits
/reuploads to jim

#102 2 years ago

great work. Stern IJ4 would love a code tweak.

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Eeeh, the hilights on the idol face thing don't look as good as I hoped in actual use.
/edits/reuploads to jim

I think you both are doing an excellent job. Adding color frame by frame to this excellent game is quite a treat for all. Well done guys!

3 weeks later
#104 2 years ago

So we are back after the expos (UK and USA) and working on the colour screens again I will also update this thread with the details on how the demo went at PlayExpo shortly (was great fun showing people everything that had been done) but first here are some new screens from Eric.

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 21.00.16.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-21 at 20.59.35.png

#105 2 years ago

So this year at PlayExpo here in the uk i decided to run a kind of hacking lab for folks to see what i've been upto and what is possible with custom hardware and software etc. It's a big gaming show with lots of different genres, one of which is pinball. Here's a quick pic of the queues outside on the saturday.

NLP 002.jpgNLP 001.jpg

As you can tell the place was pretty busy and there were loads of games played on Indy. I pretty much lost my voice by the end of the day! Everyone seemed to enjoy the experience and most of the casual players didn't notice it was a rewrite and not the original game so i was pretty happy there. We also found a few bugs and niggles whilst the better players were having a go and also trying out the extra features etc. I was actively encouraging pinheads to try and break stuff and was a lot of fun!

#106 2 years ago

Loops

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 20.40.31.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-24 at 20.39.45.png

#108 2 years ago

Keep it up. Looks great

#109 2 years ago

I'm working on a reorchestration of the original Indiana Jones for the Pinsound board. It could be usefull for you once it's done!

Check it out here:

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9#entry23

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

I'm working on a reorchestration of the original Indiana Jones for the Pinsound board. It could be usefull for you once it's done!
Check it out here:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9#entry23

Cool!

#111 2 years ago

I saved this thread into my favorites folder. Amazing!

I have a slight critique to those images you just posted, the subjects/objects of the foreground are too dark and blend in too much into the black background, there needs a bit more seperation.

EDIT: maybe that sky will be another color, those scenes in the movie happened during the day, so whoops

#112 2 years ago

applejuice are you doing this for colordmd? Earliest thread indicated this was theirs but since then have watched new stuff here? Are you the design team ?

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

applejuice are you doing this for colordmd? Earliest thread indicated this was theirs but since then have watched new stuff here? Are you the design team ?

I was wondering about this, too.

#114 2 years ago
Quoted from HunchbackHodler:

I have a slight critique to those images you just posted, the subjects/objects of the foreground are too dark and blend in too much into the black background, there needs a bit more seperation.
EDIT: maybe that sky will be another color, those scenes in the movie happened during the day, so whoops

I'm doing the color for Jim's PROC version of Indy - this is different than ColorDMD's release. There are differences between the methods that allow for different things. The colorDMD method can use 4 different 16 color palletes, where the system Jim's using for Indy is my CCC system which only allows for 16 colors total to there are more color limitations on this version. The plus side to the method we're using is that we can alter the dots if desired.

I'm trying to color things appropriate to the movie thus far, while changing the dots as little as possible. In order to change the color of the sky, there would have to be dots in it (rather than nothing) which we could do. There have been cases where we've adjusted things specifically to make the color look better. But in the end, that decision is Jim's to make. I color it as is, and then sometimes we make adjustments if he's not happy with how it looks.

That raft ride in the mountains COULD look like this:

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 4.39.11 PM.png

But not if you're sticking close to the original dot art.

#115 2 years ago

I love this project and the possibility of more like them. Thank you again.

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm doing the color for Jim's PROC version of Indy - this is different than ColorDMD's release. There are differences between the methods that allow for different things. The colorDMD method can use 4 different 16 color palletes, where the system Jim's using for Indy is my CCC system which only allows for 16 colors total to there are more color limitations on this version. The plus side to the method we're using is that we can alter the dots if desired.
I'm trying to color things appropriate to the movie thus far, while changing the dots as little as possible. In order to change the color of the sky, there would have to be dots in it (rather than nothing) which we could do. There have been cases where we've adjusted things specifically to make the color look better. But in the end, that decision is Jim's to make. I color it as is, and then sometimes we make adjustments if he's not happy with how it looks.
That raft ride in the mountains COULD look like this:

But not if you're sticking close to the original dot art.

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 4.39.1... 20 KB

The blue sky makes the dots look much more filmic. All this makes me want to buy the machine. Good luck on this very interesting project.

#117 2 years ago

The blue sky makes the dots look much more filmic. All this makes me want to buy the machine. Good luck on this very interesting project.

Thanks for the comments and feedback and that you like what we are doing Just catching up on the latest posts after a hectic halloween few days!

As Eric mentions we are trying to stick to the original dot art for the most part, but the process and system we are using does allow us to make changes if we think improvements should be made to the art. I agree here that as these scenes were during the day in the films they should have some coloured sky element to them. The loop animations are some of my favourite from the game to.

#118 2 years ago

I also noticed that in the blue sky pic that Eric posted, the mountains have added snow (full white pixels) along the rim, which differs from the one with the black sky one posted previously. So if ever you decide to go with a black sky, the new mountains will help in that separation.

#119 2 years ago

I also noticed that in the blue sky pic that Eric posted, the mountains have added snow (full white pixels) along the rim, which differs from the one with the black sky one posted previously. So if ever you decide to go with a black sky, the new mountains will help in that separation.

Yeah, with the brighter sky the dark mountains made no sense so I adjusted those too. I'm going to drop the leash on that one and do an even further adjusted one tomorrow. I fear I may have just created a bunch of new work for myself

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I fear I may have just created a bunch of new work for myself

they-pull-me-back-in-image.jpg

#121 2 years ago

Just as a refresher, here's the colored original dots/brightness levels. In this one, the trail in the snow and the darker shade on the mountains are done with a color accent:

original.png

So here's a slightly more tweaked color version. Color on Indy's coat pushed up a bit to make him not so dark. The blonde hair also brightened a bit. Highlights added to the flesh tones and the raft.

fancy.png

And here's why you can't run a monochrome display with the same thing:

dense.png

#122 2 years ago

Further case studies of me making more work for myself:

Original Monochrome:
motorbike_original.png

Colored:
motorbike_original_color.png

Updated:
motorbike_updated_color.png

Updated Monochrome:
motorbike_updated_mono.png

#123 2 years ago

Here's a good example where new graphics can really add to the project. This is a new graphic frame that Eric did for me, based on some of the stock williams ones. I probably don't need to explain which feature addition its for!!

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 23.33.55.png

#124 2 years ago

One of my "Grail" pins. Hope to get one someday.

The work looks great.

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Here's a good example where new graphics can really add to the project. This is a new graphic frame that Eric did for me, based on some of the stock williams ones. I probably don't need to explain which feature addition its for!!

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 23.33.... 20 KB

This feature alone is quite a big reason I think about converting my IJ to P-Roc once your Stuff is out.

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Further case studies of me making more work for myself:

Ya I notice that the "original monochrome" seperates better, mostly noticeable when comparing the tree's shading and highlight. With the "colored" one, the tree's shading and highlight are darker than the original monochrome. The original's tree highlight is borderline full white.

The "updated" with the blue sky looks amazing, but tree shading and indy's jacket are dark, but when in monochrome it's brought up in brightness with the tree highlight looking like full white (which wouldn't work in color, the color equivalent would be yellow).

Color limits make this job difficult, it's not like you have 255/255/255 RGB here.

Does it have to look good in both modes? or will the DMD stuff be available in color only?

#127 2 years ago

Does it have to look good in both modes? or will the DMD stuff be available in color only?

The only way to support the original DMD if you're going to modify assets for color is to maintain two versions of the assets. That's up to Jim.

And Jim prefers Indy's jacket as dark as it is, btw.

#128 2 years ago

Out of curiosity, which sky will Jim go with?

#129 2 years ago

Out of curiosity, which sky will Jim go with?

I will be using the updated scenes that Eric is working on. We've been discussing what to alter with the loop set of anims and have got it pretty nailed down now. I think these tweaks will really add to the game. I haven't decided yet whether to maintain 2 sets of assets for non colour use. That will be a later decision

3 weeks later
#130 2 years ago

Update:

Some new pics of more coloured frames. Note the sunset on the horse loop animation. We really pushed the limit here Eric worked his magic yet again based on my ideas from the end of the grail film and nailed it perfectly.

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 14.42.31.png

On the truck loop animation, we added sky and better ground colourisation which really added to the depth
Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 14.44.01.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-01 at 16.43.36.png

Some more text based colourisations to:

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 14.43.23.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-01 at 14.44.25.png

And the start of the extra ball animation:

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 14.43.02.png

#131 2 years ago

Wow...I'm really getting excited about this project, beautiful work.

#132 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow...I'm really getting excited about this project, beautiful work.

Me too! I hope somehow this can be made available to us, I'd love to run it in my machine.

#133 2 years ago

the evening sky is some really nice work

#134 2 years ago

If this were installed in my IJ, I would loose MANY balls watching that sunset, horse loop animation.

#135 2 years ago

Since this is an Indiana Jones post I need help on some holes
I purchased a new cabinet they did not drill three holes on the lower right and the two holes on the lower left cabinet these holes are for the Plainfield hinges and the yellow safety bar if anyone can please measure these from the bottom up and from the back forward
Thanks

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from Ijpinball:

I purchased a new cabinet they did not drill three holes on the lower right and the two holes on the lower left cabinet these holes are for the Plainfield hinges and the yellow safety bar if anyone can please measure these from the bottom up and from the back forward
Thanks

Kind of off topic for this thread -- I'd suggest trying this one over here, which is the general Indiana Jones owners' thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/7#post-2081880

#137 2 years ago
Quoted from Ijpinball:

Thanks

As fosaisu said this thread is about my software rewrite of indiana jones. the thread posted in fosaisu's reply is more suited to your question. thanks

4 weeks later
#138 2 years ago

Added a small extra to my service mode today to show a similar type screen inspired from the later wpc-95 games.

Quick pic of it on my dev machine

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 15.05.32.png

and quick vid of me opening and closing the coin door on my game. (Was taken 1 handed so not great quality!)

» YouTube video

The lower info text which scrolls through stuff, will also show logged errors like bust switches & mechs in it. There is a background diagnostic mode which looks for any issues.

#139 2 years ago

Dogfight: No longer at night.

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 11.52.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 11.53.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 11.53.17 AM.png

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Dogfight: No longer at night.

A serious amount of work to get this updated, but looks bloody amazing now

Also, just re-wrote the get the idol scene with proper sprites and progressive background. This was one of the first scenes i wrote way back when i started the rewrite in 2011 and i know a lot more now on how to put them together.

#141 2 years ago

Keep up the amazing work!!!

#142 2 years ago

Any chance you will be able to share this amazing rewrite and DMD coloring?

#143 2 years ago

Some pics of the get the idol mode running on the dev laptop now all the layering is working (colour to be added.)

Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 09.34.50.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-10 at 09.34.52.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-10 at 09.35.09.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-10 at 09.35.19.png

Also, some pics of the streets of cairo mode that we coloured awhile back. Modes really come to life when colour is added

Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 09.37.40.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-10 at 09.37.43.png

And, a screen shot of the end of the plane chase ramp shot with the points layer

Screen Shot 2015-01-10 at 09.35.32.png

#144 2 years ago

Update: few new pics

Get the idol now in colour and with 3 difficulty settings (variable number of shots needed):

Screen Shot 2015-01-14 at 15.05.22.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-14 at 15.05.40.png

And a very nice coloured animation for the path of adventure instructions

Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 22.50.17.png

#145 2 years ago

Rope Bridge now in daylight. Just fine turning some of the font masking, but this is how its looking so far

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 21.56.35.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-18 at 22.26.37.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-18 at 22.26.36.png

#146 2 years ago

Update: Some new coloured screens for the three challenges mode. Also I fixed the issue with the original game where i believe the mode ends before you get to see the final challenge lit up and the screen completed. I am also contemplating some alterations to the way the path lamps lite during the mode.

How do you feel about this mode? Room for improvement?

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 09.21.30 1.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-22 at 19.44.59.png

#147 2 years ago

Very nice Jim. I didn't recall the 3 challenges mode, so I looked it up. Is this correct?
Three Challenges: Shoot the right ramp for the Path to Adventure raised playfield. Challenges 1,2 & 3 are completed by hitting all lit rollovers for 10M, 20M & 30M respectively. All lit rollovers have to be hit during one pass of the Path to collect the points.

Quoted from applejuice:

Update: Some new coloured screens for the three challenges mode. Also I fixed the issue with the original game where i believe the mode ends before you get to see the final challenge lit up and the screen completed. I am also contemplating some alterations to the way the path lamps lit during the mode.
How do you feel about this mode? Room for improvement?

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 09.21.... 404 KB

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 19.44.... 414 KB

#148 2 years ago

Wow, would love to watch HD vid of someone playing an epic game if IJ on this new platform. Where almost 100% of of every shot was made and all the video modes squashed. Then I'd go back and focus on the split screen portion focused on the dmd, grab some popcorn and watch the show!! This stuff looks sexy...

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 14.42.... 22 KB

That sun and the entire truck loop shot is a work of art.

#150 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Very nice Jim. I didn't recall the 3 challenges mode, so I looked it up. Is this correct?
Three Challenges: Shoot the right ramp for the Path to Adventure raised playfield. Challenges 1,2 & 3 are completed by hitting all lit rollovers for 10M, 20M & 30M respectively. All lit rollovers have to be hit during one pass of the Path to collect the points.

Yep that's the stock rules and its usually 1, 2 and 3 lanes to hit on each pass respectively. I want to make the lane positions a bit more random each time but still fixed and obviously not have it break after you get the first pit award.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 99.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 204 posts in topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 720 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.