minecart info2.png
minecart2.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 19.52.19.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 16.29.03.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.34.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.34.08 1.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 15.27.18.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 12.18.55.png
There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 9 years ago

Hi, As a few people know i've been working on rewriting Indiana Jones software for the last few years using the p-roc hardware and pyprocgame framework. I thought i'd create a thread on here to share info and show progress as things keep moving. There is a post on my blog here :

http://mypinballs.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/indiana-jones-software-rewrite.html

with some summary info and a view vids etc. I also have a child board over on the p-roc controller here:

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=259.0

The idea with this project has been to recreate the game to the original design and then add on to it. The premise is that the average player should not be able to tell a new feature apart from an original one unless it is pointed out to them. Anyway, that's the idea. It all started back in 2011!

See here for a quick game play video from awhile back to.

Note that this is all work in progress and not a finished item. There is a big list of bugs to solve and features to refine I'm nearly there on all the modes though, just the last 2 video modes to do (mine cart and revan bar). I got slightly distracted a few months back and added a secret werewolf attack video mode (from Dracula). love that mode!

I'm also working on a whirlwind software rewrite which i'll add a separate thread for.

#2 9 years ago

Great work, didn't read linked articles but few ideas:

- in tournament mode: disable video modes (not suitable for competition, not pinball IMO, or make it choosable), disable all attraction mode screens, just show scores all the time. Dim GI immediately, no lightshows needed (shutdown all lights if possible (excluding start-button).
- balance scoring between multiball and modes. 2nd and later multiball-starts should be harder.
- Skill shot? Maybe samekind like in AFM and MM?

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for your ideas and reply.

Current skillshot added is in the same 'style' as Batman TDK where you hold the left flipper button in as you launch and the lamps in front of the right ramp strobe. Both top gates open and the ball is fed to the left flipper where you have a timed period to make the right ramp. Cool dmd graphic and sound callout then ensues if you make it!

The current progress is mainly to get things as accurate to the original as possible and complete all 12 modes, but there are some new additions including the skillshot, which are:

Random positioning for POA lamps at each round
Extra jackpot and graphics for the 4th film
Secret werewolf video mode from Dracula
Add a ball in quick multiball

I spent quite a bit of time recently getting the code to understand the concept of holding a path of adventure lit sequence until after multiball ends etc. Something that i never really noticed when playing the original, but there is an actual dmd screen alerting you to this!

If you have ideas for additions/changes then please do get in touch. Hearing other peoples ideas is also a great help.

#4 9 years ago

I know IJ had some great animations that ended up on the cutting block. These use to be on the Bally / Williams website in the DOHO section. The one of the guys melting at the end of Raiders is really awesome. Would it be a possibility to somehow add these back into the game? That animation leading upto a 6 ball MB like the souls have been released from the Ark would be too cool.

#5 9 years ago

Great work. I've been following your progress for sometime now .... nice to see you will complete the series by adding some IJ4 rules/animations. That will be interesting, there are some very cool action scenes to pick from!!!!

#6 9 years ago

I *LOVE* it. Unfortunately, I think you're going to be contacted by someone who won't share that feeling...

-sigh-
Jaz

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

I *LOVE* it. Unfortunately, I think you're going to be contacted by someone who won't share that feeling...
-sigh-
Jaz

I'm no expert but I'd imagine he's fine so long as he's not distributing it.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm no expert but I'd imagine he's fine so long as he's not distributing it.

Oh I wouldn't be so sure of that. I would surmise a friendly reminder will be given at the least.

#9 9 years ago

I was hoping this post about the Stern one.

#10 9 years ago

How about some loop/ramp combos? Combo Jackpot - get 6 (say) ramps in a row and shoot mode start for x million.

#12 9 years ago

The issue was never about the code changes, it was about the Williams assets.
Since there were no assets posted there is no issue. Looking forward to seeing more of this journey !

#13 9 years ago

I admit I wasn't following those projects but from a quick look it appears all of them were being distributed (I don't mean they were being sold, just that the plan was to pass the modified code along to other owners of the game). I don't know what the OP's intentions are here but IP rights holders often see a distinction between hacking a product you own and sharing your hacked code with other people.

#14 9 years ago

luv - He said he's using P-ROC. In order to drive the LCD using the same screens as stock code, he'd be using William's assets (as interpreted by WMS and PPS). This is the same issue that DT and CCC ran into.

fos - True, assuming he does not make the code available. But, while people start out with the intention of just using it themselves, it usually ends that way since I (and likely others) would like to get a hold of it.

Jaz

#15 9 years ago

Jim is making the code freely available, it's hosted on github and it's easy to see. What Jim hasn't made available is anything containing Williams IP, such as sounds, DMD animations and so on. With P-ROC development, those are kept in separate files (so sounds will be regular old .wav or .mp3 files, for example) which he has chosen not to make publicly available.

So long as it stays that way, PPS / Williams won't have any issue since it's his machine to do what he wants with. The rules of the game themselves are not subject to IP, just the sound, animation and artwork. If Jim decides in the future to make the whole thing available, he'll either need to work with PPS, or replace the Williams IP with something else.

#16 9 years ago

Please, stick in to the topic. Move to Europe and it's legal to modify what ever you own. And even sell it forward, like new programs to car's ECUs to boost more power etc. I really hate where this "business" is going IF rights owners starts to nitpick these kind of projects where nobody isn't making a dime. And everything that people are willing to discuss here is this legal-stuff that just makes me sad. I would like to see topics like this so please keep pushing. Have a decent lawyer if something comes up, make a kickstarter (todays trend) or something if not possible otherways.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Tensikka:

Please, stick in to the topic.

Yeah, my bad. Back on topic.

Jim - you're much further along with your Indy and Whirlwind rewrites than I am with my F14. Do you ever call something like this "finished", or are you likely to end up like I fear I will, endlessly tweaking things? Do you also suffer from the "oooh, shiny" syndrome where you spend ages on the bells and whistles at the expense of a good base?

Looking really good, time I poked around your code again for some inspiration

-Mark

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Tensikka:

Please, stick in to the topic. Move to Europe and it's legal to modify what ever you own. And even sell it forward, like new programs to car's ECUs to boost more power etc. I really hate where this "business" is going IF rights owners starts to nitpick these kind of projects where nobody isn't making a dime. And everything that people are willing to discuss here is this legal-stuff that just makes me sad. I would like to see topics like this so please keep pushing. Have a decent lawyer if something comes up, make a kickstarter (todays trend) or something if not possible otherways.

Thanks for your message. Good summary

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Jim - you're much further along with your Indy and Whirlwind rewrites than I am with my F14. Do you ever call something like this "finished", or are you likely to end up like I fear I will, endlessly tweaking things? Do you also suffer from the "oooh, shiny" syndrome where you spend ages on the bells and whistles at the expense of a good base?
Looking really good, time I poked around your code again for some inspiration
-Mark

I've been working through it fairly steadily, first mechanisms and basic low level rules, then up to modes, mulitballs, higher level rules and such. Sometimes i take a small detour like the dracula video mode which is fun. Also i often come back to ealier dmd animations and then improve them as i've learnt better ways to do things. For exmaple i reworked the match sequernce recently, as the first way i did it wasn't that great. The dmd element really adds to the project length.

Must update the github area, as its really out of date and alittle crusty. I'm planning to do that this weekend. and sync to the latest build. Anyway the url for anyone wanting to view is

http://github.com/mypinballs

There's all my open source projects listed in there.

#20 9 years ago

I am planning to start a project like this for No Fear. Any advice for someone just starting out on this journey?

I just got a No Fear last week so I have a dev machine. I need to play it for a bit to find out exactly what it has, and what I want to add. I would really like to just expand on what is there, but I guess it may be easier in the long run to just do everything from scratch.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I'm also working on a Whirlwind software rewrite which i'll add a separate thread for.

OMG OMG OMG..... wheres the whirlwind thread????? id love to know what youre doing with this!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

OMG OMG OMG..... wheres the Whirlwind thread????? id love to know what youre doing with this!

The thread i just created.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-software-rewrite-the-journey

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

I am planning to start a project like this for No Fear. Any advice for someone just starting out on this journey?
I just got a No Fear last week so I have a dev machine. I need to play it for a bit to find out exactly what it has, and what I want to add. I would really like to just expand on what is there, but I guess it may be easier in the long run to just do everything from scratch.

That would make a nice rewrite to. Plenty of scope in there to add onto the existing rules. My advice would be to start with the basics and any game toys, get them solid then move upward with the more complicated rules. Having the main Multiball working often helps straighten out the kind of player tracking vars you'll need to. Also don't underestimate the time the graphics will add to the project length.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

I know IJ had some great animations that ended up on the cutting block. These use to be on the Bally / Williams website in the DOHO section. The one of the guys melting at the end of Raiders is really awesome. Would it be a possibility to somehow add these back into the game? That animation leading upto a 6 ball MB like the souls have been released from the Ark would be too cool.

Here's a link to that animation from Williams' site back in the day:

https://web.archive.org/web/19981207015809/http://www.pinball.com/archives/doho/indy1.html

#26 9 years ago

Will need to have a look for that. I have found some interesting unused animations in there inc what looked like Jesus's face instead of Marion in the basket from the streets of Cairo mode!!!

2 weeks later
#27 9 years ago

Update:

Steadily working through things and improving the game logic, fixing bugs etc now the majority of the rules and features are in place. I still have 2 video modes to complete (raven bar and mine cart) but all other features are in and working (plus all the extras). I recently updated my github area with a newer build as it was massively out of date and i've started to work on another section which i always wanted to add - Colouring the DMD data. Massive thanks to Eric here, as he very kindly agreed to colour the frames for me and guided me through the colour setup/additions needed for my project. He is a genius and has a real keen eye for getting the animations to look perfect See below for a few sneak peeks. I also updated the main core code to use my database driven audits and diagnostics systems which i created on the whirlwind project along with sorting out proper file logging, which i hadn't added here (for some reason!)

Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.36.58.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.36.58.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.22.06.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.22.06.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.21.49.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.21.49.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.21.37.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.21.37.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.10.17.pngScreen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.10.17.png

http://blog.mypinballs.com
http://mypinballs.co.uk

#28 9 years ago

What a huge difference color makes. Nice work.

#29 9 years ago

Are you planning on modifying any of the sounds?

One of the things that irks me is the callout during the "steal the stones" mode.

"Mola Ram, prepare to meet Kali......."

Was "in Hell!" really too much for the kiddos back in '93?

#30 9 years ago

Love your work, I'd love a skill shot and even the 4th jackpot...although I think the 4th movie was really bad. What's most important is non-buggy-final. Had my machine going crazy after collecting the 1 billion a couple of times - even to the point the machine just "crashed".

What I don't like is the Werewolf Video-Mode. I think you're really talented... why not use it for something Indiana Jones related. The three Challenges, Bi-Plane Video Mode... something like that

Also, what I would want is the original game to choose at startup like in CCC. Just as an option for the purists

Keep up the good work!!!

#31 9 years ago

You know, this shit really sucks. I love CCC and I have read threads about rewrites of IJ, ES and now WW. I would love to setup computers in each of these and run the new code. But it seems I cant get the new code because Rick puts the squash on anyone giving it out because it Williams property. Well fuck Rick, buy the code from the people and sell it. Your getting to be as big a ass as Wayno was. Give a little. Im glad I at least got the CCC before the gustapo put the squeeze on it.

#32 9 years ago

You can get the new code, just not the IP (DOTS, Audio, etc).

It does kinda suck, but he is not outright "squashing" it.. if you work with him, you can actually legally sell it via the 2.0 program. BOP 2.0 is actually changing the game to a DMD and that is fully blessed and they are selling it to people. Yes, there may be some royalties paid back to PPS. If he was killing these projects without an alternative path to make it legit, that I think would be more pitchfork worthy.

And if getting approval means there's no werewolf video-mode in any IJ 2.0 project.. that's probably good (sorry, they really have nothing to do with one another).

#33 9 years ago

Could you do anything like the Twilight Zone final roms?

Such as the pause feature when you hold the flipper and the extra ball button?
Or someway of practicing Eternal Life multiball like the TZ roms?

I love that pause feature on my TZ, I wish all pins had that

#34 9 years ago

What good is it without the dots and sound to go with it. Ill buy it if you put it out . Hell I bought the computer and the color display for CCC and it was worth it to turn a boring game into a badass one. Let others do the work and buy it from them and make money.

#35 9 years ago

love the color dmd...If this is avail I will def buy it.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

love the color dmd...If this is avail I will def buy it.

The colorDMD folks have hinted that they are working on it if that's all you wanted vs new code. In the Dr Who announcement they said they have "top men working on it"

https://m.facebook.com/colordmd/photos/a.649548005074192.1073741828.648292638533062/877888465573477/?type=1&refid=17

Does look pretty sweet here though!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Me too

#38 9 years ago

Drool...

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Starscream:

Could you do anything like the Twilight Zone final roms?
Such as the pause feature when you hold the flipper and the extra ball button?
Or someway of practicing Eternal Life multiball like the TZ roms?

Yes, i will definitely add these features, no problem. They are all great options to have.

Quoted from sd_tom:

You can get the new code, just not the IP (DOTS, Audio, etc).
And if getting approval means there's no werewolf video-mode in any IJ 2.0 project.. that's probably good (sorry, they really have nothing to do with one another).

Just a quick reply to the werewolf attack queries. This was added as a homage to dracula as i love that game and especially the video mode within it. It will be a secret addition in the final code, not a replacement for anything. Also I am a big believer in settings, settings, settings. So it will be 'disable able' if it really doesn't sit well with you

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

So it will be 'disable able' if it really doesn't sit well with you

Oh it doesn't. will stay tuned none the less.

#41 9 years ago

Made this loop so I could keep watching it.

indy.gifindy.gif

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Just a quick reply to the werewolf attack queries. This was added as a homage to dracula as i love that game and especially the video mode within it. It will be a secret addition in the final code, not a replacement for anything. Also I am a big believer in settings, settings, settings. So it will be 'disable able' if it really doesn't sit well with you

Just checked out your website, very cool to read about this project (and the DMD colorized animations look great!) As far as disable-able goes, maybe consider making the Crystal Skull material user selectable as well for those that want more gameplay but can't stand to be reminded of the wretched fourth film!

#43 9 years ago

So what boards/mods/displays are required to the stock machine to run this new software?

#44 9 years ago

If you have your paws into the code on this one, can I make one suggestion? A way to stop Willie from saying "I Hate you and I Hate the water".

Some may not remember this, but back on the Google group, I had a massive thread. The story went like this...

I had a 3 & 4 year old boys at the time. I bring home IJ. When my wife heard that hate line, she asked me if I could get rid of it. I told her there wasn't a setting.

But for the hell of it, I posted the issue on the news group. One nice guy shot me a PM saying he could fix it. He had me send him the ROM chip. Week later a new one shows up. He managed to get into the chip and clear out the offending line.

But in the process, the thread went viral and there was this huge philosophical debate on whether that was "right" to do.

Bottom line is a fellow pinhead made a rough situation easy for me by doing a really cool favor.

Anyway, a simple setting to tone Willie down might be a useful "family friendly" option

#45 9 years ago

Imabearsfan, what about the callout where Harrison Ford says " Oh, shi....!"

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

If you have your paws into the code on this one, can I make one suggestion? A way to stop Willie from saying "I Hate you and I Hate the water".
Some may not remember this, but back on the Google group, I had a massive thread. The story went like this...
I had a 3 & 4 year old boys at the time. I bring home IJ. When my wife heard that hate line, she asked me if I could get rid of it. I told her there wasn't a setting.
But for the hell of it, I posted the issue on the news group. One nice guy shot me a PM saying he could fix it. He had me send him the ROM chip. Week later a new one shows up. He managed to get into the chip and clear out the offending line.
But in the process, the thread went viral and there was this huge philosophical debate on whether that was "right" to do.
Bottom line is a fellow pinhead made a rough situation easy for me by doing a really cool favor.
Anyway, a simple setting to tone Willie down might be a useful "family friendly" option

I'll tell you what's right - bring back the original line from Temple of Doom. "I hate the water, and I hate being wet, and I hate YOU!" If you can't handle the tone, get a more family fun pin such as Flintstones, Bugs Bunny or Popeye. And here's another vote for the unfettered "Oh, Shit" callout. Oh, and I wouldn't mind seeing Willie in a wet t-shirt compliments of a squirrely elephant...on a color DMD. IJ is the greatest pin ever!

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

The colorDMD folks have hinted that they are working on it if that's all you wanted vs new code. In the Dr Who announcement they said they have "top men working on it"

Who?

#49 9 years ago

I think there's also another callout that says "shoot them both" or similar. I'm not a great player so I don't get all of them often.

I'm in the group saying bring on the movie lines, full on and un censored. Although the honk to bleep out the end of shit is quite comical to me.

I don't think poor imabearsfan deserves all the negativity, though. He asked for the option to turn off some stuff. He's not asking him to cut it out permanently.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

dos_reboot said:
Who?

Top men!

lol, that was perfect!

IJ is such a heavy DMD game and the color looks amazing. It belongs in a museum!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

12,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mississauga, ON
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 1,419.00
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

There are 204 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-software-rewrite-the-journey/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.