20141107_210315.jpg
20141107_205419.jpg
P1010002.JPG
P1010065 (2).JPG
P1010067.JPG
P1010064.JPG
image-146.jpg
IMAG0581.jpg

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Pico LED's have just arrived so tomorrow I'll do the build and take photos and video. BTW these LED's are awesome and tiny as shit and bright, perfect for surface mounting. They are about the size of the head on a ball point pen.

I agree, I got mine yesterday and was blown away by the size. Hopefully this will motivate me to get going on this.

#52 9 years ago

Here's a Corgi Me109 alternative

image-146.jpgimage-146.jpg

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Here's a Corgi Me109 alternative

image-146.jpg 30 KB

That looks nice also! Is it metal or plastic? Also what scale is it. Thanks

#54 9 years ago

Also the ultimate soldier 1:48 are nice too, I would just try to stay away from diecast models and go with plastic. Much easier to customize with the drilling.

#55 9 years ago

About to get started and here is what we have so far:

The Plane is an Ultimate Soldier 1:48 (going with #17)
P1010064.JPGP1010064.JPG

Second this is the Pico LED, it's so tiny it was hard to focus on. To give you an idea of the size, it's the white dot inside the horse on the apron decal.
P1010067.JPGP1010067.JPG

Being that I'm using the Ultimate Soldier plane, not sure if the spinning prop mod will be doable at this point.

#56 9 years ago

Just ordered my BF109, bi-plane sent for decals and 2 motors on their way.

#57 9 years ago

Here is a quick shot of the Pica LED's lit as I glue them in place.P1010065 (2).JPGP1010065 (2).JPG

and a shot without power showing the LED size
P1010002.JPGP1010002.JPG

#58 9 years ago

Everyone stop showing off and offer to make me some of the planes!

#59 9 years ago

When making the film the script and feeling for the biplane was to use a Bücker Bü 131 as it was accurate for the time as you could drop it from a zeppelin.

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/German_biplane

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/mkd48003.htm

They couldn't find one so a modified Stampe SV-4 was used.

I think that this is a close as you can get.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

That looks nice also! Is it metal or plastic? Also what scale is it. Thanks

It's metal. I think it's 1:72 scale.

http://www.corgi.co.uk/shop/corgi-flight/cc99303-messerschmitt-109/

#61 9 years ago

Here is a quick video with the results thus far, the spinning prop will be a bitch in this plane it would be much easier in the one that the OP used.

1:48 scale is a perfect fit.

and some stills to show size:

20141107_205419.jpg20141107_205419.jpg20141107_210315.jpg20141107_210315.jpg20141107_210320.jpg20141107_210320.jpg

#62 9 years ago

Here is a quick video with the results thus far, the spinning prop will be a bitch in this plane it would be much easier in the one that the OP used.
1:48 scale is a perfect fit.
» YouTube video

Looks great but just wondering why you wing mounted the guns when more accurately they belong in the cowling behind the propeller?

#63 9 years ago

Because I have to do some cutting there to mount the spinning prop motor and for me anyway it was just best to keep the wires out of the area where major work has to get done.

#64 9 years ago

Here is a quick shot of the Pica LED's lit as I glue them in place.
and a shot without power showing the LED size

P1010065 (2).JPG 96 KB

P1010002.JPG 77 KB

Those wires are so nice and thin. Did you drill a hole through the leading edge of the wing to channel the wires to the back or did you just glue the led on and have the wires under the wing?

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Those wires are so nice and thin. Did you drill a hole through the leading edge of the wing to channel the wires to the back or did you just glue the led on and have the wires under the wing?

I just tacked glue the led's in place on the leading edge of the wing and being that the wires are so thin I snaked them through the existing openings under the wing by the wheel wells.

Love these led's, I use them all the time in model railroading because they are so easy to conceal.

#66 9 years ago

I would consider a "set" (Bi-plane & fighter plane).

The 109 looks awesome. The Bi-plane needs to look more real now. I especially love the one with figures in them (especially the tail gunner w/ gun). Also, while modding... I think I would prefer the yellow nose on 109, closer to the original color in the game.

Nice mods indeed! I'm in, if price is not out of site.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Everyone stop showing off and offer to make me some of the planes!

heading to my LHS in about 3 hours to get some Heli fuel, they have the same one the OP used for 17.99, if you like I can grab it for you or anyone else who wants them. I'd say they should be about 5.00 to ship, so for $22.00 and 9.00 in LED's you guys can build your own.

PM me if you guys want me to grab you a plane while I'm there.

*** I'll check on Bi-Planes while there as well. ***

#68 9 years ago

The Bf-109 I used is not available to be purchased in larger numbers. It only comes as a set with five other planes. You have to buy in sets if you want wholesale prices. Shops only have the odd one here and there. What a shame. The Wings of Glory does not have a yellow nose like the original so not my preferred choice. Can someone have look on the box to see who actually makes it.
The search for a good 1/48 plastic Bf-109 continues.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

The Bf-109 I used is not available to be purchased in larger numbers.

My LHS actually has 8 of them, three of which I bought today for a few folks who want them. I agree 1:48 scale Messerschmitt or Bi-Plane seems to be hard to find.

#70 9 years ago

Can anyone tell me what size connector the plane uses and also is there someplace that sells the bracket that attaches it. Thanks

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Can anyone tell me what size connector the plane uses and also is there someplace that sells the bracket that attaches it. Thanks

What I did was cut a coin slot in the bottom of the new plane and used the existing bracket, just take the new plane and align it up with the bracket on the outside of the fuse, pencil the template and screw holes so you can drill it on it's mark.

As far as it goes for the plug I used the existing one as well, just unsoldered the red and black wires form the current led board on the stock plane and marked which one was black and the other red if I want to reinstall it. (I don't see that happening to be honest)

In addition but it might be a little overkill, I also put a 1N4001 diode on the positive feed to the led's.

#72 9 years ago

What I did was cut a coin slot in the bottom of the new plane and used the existing bracket, just take the new plane and align it up with the bracket on the outside of the fuse, pencil the template and screw holes so you can drill it on it's mark.
As far as it goes for the plug I used the existing one as well, just unsoldered the red and black wires form the current led board on the stock plane and marked which one was black and the other red if I want to reinstall it. (I don't see that happening to be honest)
In addition but it might be a little overkill, I also put a 1N4001 diode on the positive feed to the led's.

Thanks

#74 9 years ago

Might work but you'll have to drop the input voltage, these run at 1.1v to 1.6v.

3 months later
#75 9 years ago

Finally got this done. I didn't go for the propeller motor as there just wasn't room. Put a yellow led in the cockpit hooked to GI that stay on and the red "machine" guns in the cowling during gameplay.
IMAG0695.jpgIMAG0695.jpgIMAG0702.jpgIMAG0702.jpgIMAG0706.jpgIMAG0706.jpg

#76 9 years ago

Looks real good... is it a tad bit larger than the old stock plane?

#77 9 years ago

I'd be interested in purchasing a set of modded planes too, were they to be available.

#78 9 years ago

I should be getting my decals for the biplane next week. I also have the motors but have not figured how to slow the rpms down.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Looks real good... is it a tad bit larger than the old stock plane?

No, its pretty much exactly the same...no noticeable difference. I posted a picture earlier of the comparison. This and the color DMD update, coupled with the snow this weekend means its gonna see a lot of action today

4 weeks later
#80 9 years ago

I Looked everywhere for a 1:48 scale Tiger Moth biplane. Finally found a model on Ebay for like $6...Not perfect, but better than the original I think.

20150315_155245.jpg20150315_155245.jpg

#81 9 years ago

Wow, that looks great Sparky347!!

#82 9 years ago

looks great

#83 9 years ago

I have a nib me109 that I am not going to use if someone wants to do this mod. $20.- + shipping, that's what I have into it. Its the same as in my post above. Same size as original...I was going to make another but just don't have time. PM if interested * SOLD * & shipped. Thanks and enjoy

#84 9 years ago

Pm sent

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky347:

I Looked everywhere for a 1:48 scale Tiger Moth biplane. Finally found a model on Ebay for like $6...Not perfect, but better than the original I think.
20150315_155245.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I NEED A BIPLANE NOW!! Looks so much better. Does it have the prop mod installed?

#86 9 years ago

I didn't do the propeller motor, but I am really wanting to stick an LED on the gun facing the Fighter plane. It would be so cool if when you hit the ramps consecutively the 2 planes looked like they were shooting at each other. Not sure what to tie the BiPlane LEDS into though, as there doesn't seem to be a flasher or insert that is associated with the sounds of the BiPlane gun.

#87 9 years ago

Actually..... Tying the BiPlane gun LEDS into the Dogfight Hurry up insert would be pretty cool......

#88 9 years ago

Here's the model I used if anyone is interested.

$_1.JPG$_1.JPG
6 years later
#89 2 years ago

Coming back on this post, as I'm interested into assembling these mods

So a few questions if I may:
- Seems that 1:48 is the correct scale, anyone has managed to add a propeller motor in these planes ?
- Anyone would have a template for the decals used for the bi-plane ?

Thanks and regards

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Coming back on this post, as I'm interested into assembling these mods
So a few questions if I may:
- Seems that 1:48 is the correct scale, anyone has managed to add a propeller motor in these planes ?
- Anyone would have a template for the decals used for the bi-plane ?
Thanks and regards

Hello - Yes, the 1:48 is the right scale. I bought the Messershmidt on Ebay (Messerschmitt Bf-109G-10 1/48 Model -$35 or so) to replace my crappy stock fighter plane
and added a fighter pilot to the inside and also the lights/guns under the wings that connected to the existing wiring hookup for the stock fighter plane.
the prop I didn't do anything with at this time - so it's stationary

For the biplane, I painted a bit and used some waterslide decals for the correct lettering on top along with the german crosses out of vinyl self stick.
for the prop I bought these on Ebay:
4pcs 716 Coreless Brushed Motor Set 55000RPM 7x16mm + 45mm Propeller CW CCW
ebay.com link: itm

and to slow down the speed I bought these resistors on Amazon:
uxcell 10Pcs 330 Ohm Resistor, 5W 5% Tolerance Metal Oxide Film Resistors
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RS4SJVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

There is enough room under and inside the nose of the plane to mount and hot glue the motor/prop.
I think I used two resistors in sequence to slow it down enough and those I placed under the playfield when I ran the wiring from the prop down
and hooked it up (currently) to the hurry up light.

hope that helps.
Its just a bit of work - but not too expensive and I like having a working prop.

11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg13 (resized).jpg
#91 2 years ago
Quoted from fanuminski:

Hello - Yes, the 1:48 is the right scale. I bought the Messershmidt on Ebay (Messerschmitt Bf-109G-10 1/48 Model -$35 or so) to replace my crappy stock fighter plane
and added a fighter pilot to the inside and also the lights/guns under the wings that connected to the existing wiring hookup for the stock fighter plane.
For the biplane, I painted a bit and used some waterslide decals for the correct lettering on top along with the german crosses out of vinyl self stick.
amazon.com link »
There is enough room under and inside the nose of the plane to mount and hot glue the motor/prop.
I think I used two resistors in sequence to slow it down enough and those I placed under the playfield when I ran the wiring from the prop down
hope that helps.
Its just a bit of work - but not too expensive and I like having a working prop.[quoted image][quoted image]

Fail - Those planes looking nothing like the generic, plastic ones that came in the game. Fortunately they look better.

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from fanuminski:

amazon.com link »
hope that helps.
Its just a bit of work - but not too expensive and I like having a working prop.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for these details. I also found a Tiger Moth model which looks close enough, I'll try that.

On the fighter pilot, where did you find it? Any reference?

On the water Decal, do you have the original digital file used?

Regards

#93 2 years ago

I don't have any files - I just did trial and error with word or excel until they "looked" OK -
and used pics of the biplane from the film for reference.
I started by just wanting the prop active ...

the fighter pilot is just a figure I got from the dollar store and cut to fit inside -lol
can't hardly see him.

to me, they look better than the stock ones.. but, of course, not anywhere close to what Korn and Ricochet are offering/producing in another thread.
I couldn't wait that long, and wanted/had to keep the expense way down (happy wife lol)

Oh - I checked and only had to use one resistor to reduce the speed of the prop (as you will need)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
25,000 (Firm)
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, OH
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Wanted
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,419.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-scale-me109-plane-mod/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.