Indiana jones POA went dead

By Hoser

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello gents,

I just restored my Williams Indiana Jones. Was working 100% after fixing multiple issues (including the idol and trough). Then I put her on a table cart ... Wheeled her into place ... Was all excited to play ... And the darn Path of adventure is not working.

- POA worked seamless before I moved machine.
- red light is lit on the bridge board under playfield.
- get error message for POA in diagnostics.
- motor also doesn't move in diagnostics
- already changed fuses 115 and 116
- cleaned flipper optos with isopropyl.
- in switch test optos on mini board behind POA work.
- odd discovery, on the CPU board the switch molex connectors were plugged into different J numbers than the manual lists. However the game functioned normally plugged in like this before I moved it across my garage.

I am guessing that since the red light is on for the bridge board under playfield that power is getting there. Does this leave the motor as the only culprit? Should I try to reflow solder to the motor? Could there be anything else interfering here?

How do I best check the chain with my multimeter to deduce further? Specific instructions on what to set my meter to and where to test would be helpful.

Thanks,
Hoser

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2 10 years ago

Ok ...

So I did a bunch of random stuff like clean optos again, reseat all connectors, blah blah blah ... And poof the mini playfield worked. Then I put the playfield back down dropped in the balls ... and it doesn't work again!!!

This time I noticed that the TWO optos on the mini board behind the POA are not registering.

- so I think the motor is ok because I got it to work for 5 minutes.
- I doubt both opto sensors are bad ... Unless cleaning them with isopropyl and q-tips somehow damaged them?
- I have tested the wires that go from the CPU and power driver board to the POA opto board for continuity and they seem fine.
- changed fuses 115 and 116
- everything else works and has power (including the red light on the motor board.

Can anyone give me a step by step process on how to check the circuit leading to the POA opto board? How do i confirm that te opto board is getting the right amount of power? What setting on my multimeter? Which pins? What should my readings be? Anything else to help me find this needle in the haystack?

Thanks

#3 10 years ago

You probably need to reflow solder on a connector or right at where the optos connect to the PCB if the problem is intermittent. Could be a bad pin connector as well but I would try to focus in on cold solder joints on those small LED emitters/receivers where they touch the PCB. A lot of vibrations on that particular board and you will have to remove it to get a solid look at it and reflow solder.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
14,000 (OBO)
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
25,000 (Firm)
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 1,419.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Wanted

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-poa-went-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.