(Topic ID: 147752)

Indiana Jones Pinball Adventure Issue? Help?

By danreedphoto

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Plungeroo
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I'm unsure really what's going on here, but I'm pretty sure this isn't normal behavior for the game. I recently had Chris H. here repair my main PCB and I was assuming it was going to fix my (maybe perceived?) issue. When the ball gets captured in the three-faced-Idol in the shooting lane, it takes around a minute to actually release the ball. Here's a video in UHD, 4K of the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 3 years ago

Anyone have any ideas?

#3 3 years ago

The game is going into ball search so that is not correct. Make sure the idol mechanism is not binding and check the switch adjustment. Looks like the idol is stopping too soon or it might not be sensing the ball is there, again a switch issue.

#4 3 years ago

Are there any opto's associated with that mechanism? Opto's are always a bitch on these Williams Super Pins.

#5 3 years ago

Well, the idol spins freely, but maybe I need to take a closer look at it. It's unusual as it does the exact same thing every time, It's never random, always the exact same process, same amount of time, too. Does that help anyone?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from danreedphoto:

Well, the idol spins freely, but maybe I need to take a closer look at it. It's unusual as it does the exact same thing every time, It's never random, always the exact same process, same amount of time, too. Does that help anyone?

Definitely sounds like a switch issue. Check all of the associated switches in the test menu. Sounds like one of them is not registering which lets it know that a ball has gone into the lock.

#7 3 years ago

Awesome. Great starting place. Thanks.

#8 3 years ago

There is an idol test in the test menu that will test out all the idol optos.

#9 3 years ago

I see you have a credit dot. What error do you get when you enter the diagnostics?

#10 3 years ago

What's a credit dot? Sorry, I'm new to pins. Also, I ran the idol test and it didn't give me any errors. What should I look for next?

#11 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

#12 3 years ago

Open the coin door, then turn on the machine you'll hear a few bongs and it will tell you to press enter, then a report will come up with switch numbers to check. Write down those numbers and post it here.

#13 3 years ago

Got it! Thanks.

#14 3 years ago

What's a credit dot? Sorry, I'm new to pins. Also, I ran the idol test and it didn't give me any errors. What should I look for next?

Don't worry, I'm still learning too. In the video you posted, you zoom out at the 50 second mark. If you look at the display, it says "Credits 0.". The period next to the 0 is letting you know that the game has an error that needs addressed, which everyone refers to as credit dot. If you enter the diagnostics, it should bitch at you and give you an error.

#15 3 years ago

I'll post them tonight. Thanks!

#16 3 years ago

You also probably want to go into the diagnostics "Pricing" section and set it for "Free Play" this way you will not have to load credits on the game to continually play it.

#17 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#18 3 years ago

The game is telling you several areas, End of Stroke switch is probably too close together and needs to be properly set - this is on your left flipper underneath the pf, you will see arms with metal "dots" on them, these need to be calibrated a certain way - but I'm also a newbie so not sure but you can look up flipper gaps on Pinside.

Next one sounds like a drop target to spell Adventure? (I'm not familiar with this game). Again, check the switch that activates to tell the computer it has been hit, may be the same thing with alignment of leaf blades - if this is a pressure target and not a drop target.

Left ramp will have a switch on it that tells the computer the ball has traveled across that ramp. Check that, it's like a small metal arm.

Last is a set of drop targets it looks like, you need to check the coil that is beneath those banks of targets as well as the switch (maybe an opto?) that indicates target is down or needs to be reset up, etc.

There is a switch blade test that you use to manually push on the switches and make sure that they register properly, usually makes a sound and the switch number appears on the DMD screen. If nothing happens when you push the switch closed, the switch is bad and can be replaced.

-Nate

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

End of Stroke switch is probably too close together and needs to be properly set

Also possible broken wire.

#20 3 years ago

i dont think any of those errors is causing your idol problem ( i dont know much though) to me it looks like one of your optos in subway/idol isnt working and not seeing ball, hence the ball search. test those optos.

#21 3 years ago

No, the errors are not a part of the idol ball grab, but they should be addressed, could short something out, and if a coil is in the same wiring matrix, could possibly be causing erratic behavior at the ball capture.

-Nate

#22 3 years ago

Could you possibly take a video of the idol test for us?
It should ask you to drop the balls into the ball lock area.
We need to make sure all the subway and the idol upkicker optos are working. It seems from your game play video one of them may not be working.

#23 3 years ago

Sure!

#24 3 years ago

I can tell you even before I make the video that it never asked me to drop balls into the lock area. It just made the idol spin. The dmd stayed as you see it in the pic above, but I'll make the video when I get home from work. I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

Dan

#25 3 years ago

I can tell you even before I make the video that it never asked me to drop balls into the lock area. It just made the idol spin. The dmd stayed as you see it in the pic above, but I'll make the video when I get home from work. I appreciate all your help. Thank you.
Dan

That is true. I was mistaken. Would like to see the test to make sure all 6 of the idol optos are working as you press enter to step through.

Also during the switch edge test, can you drop a ball to see if it records the 'center enter' and the 'right lock up' optos. Also if run your finger behind the idol head you should see the 'top idol enter' opto. You can either raise the playfield and push up on the right upkicker to see the 'right popper' opto or push a ball down into the right upkicker hole behind the idol head. One of these optos are bound not to be recording.

#26 3 years ago

Okay. I think I did what you asked me to. There are a few segments to this video. Let me what you think.

I just uploaded the video. It may take a few to transcode it.

#27 3 years ago

This video is set to private.

#28 3 years ago

change the video to unlisted instead of private.

#29 3 years ago

Done. Sorry about that Final Cut Pro sets it to Private by default. It should be finished transcoding soon.

#30 3 years ago

It must be a 2 hour movie for as long as it is taking.

#31 3 years ago

HA. I know, right. It's only a few minutes long. Probably because it's recorded in 4K. It should be done... Soon...

#32 3 years ago

I will check back after dinner.

#33 3 years ago

:-/ Sorry. YouTube says it's uploaded.

#34 3 years ago

looks like idol optos are working and it looks like subway enter opto is registering because it went to jackpot mode when you put ball in, so i would guess the opto farther down subway or the opto in front of idol isnt working(the one on the flat spot before ball goes into idol) when you switch edge test do those 2 optos register?

#35 3 years ago

I pushed down directly behind the idol and it said "You cheat Dr. Jones", so I assume it registered. I don't think that's it.

#36 3 years ago

Did you by chance add a topper to you game recently?

QSS

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

Did you by chance add a topper to you game recently?
QSS

Nope. No topper at all. No mods. All original as far as I can tell.

#38 3 years ago

No no. You showed what it was doing in game play your first video on your first post. I was wanting to see what it did during the switch edge test when you dropped the ball in the ball lock. There are basically 4 optos the ball has to pass/register before it actually gets in the idol head.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Also during the switch edge test, can you drop a ball to see if it records the 'center enter' and the 'right lock up' optos. Also if run your finger behind the idol head you should see the 'top idol enter' opto. You can either raise the playfield and push up on the right upkicker to see the 'right popper' opto or push a ball down into the right upkicker hole behind the idol head. One of these optos are bound not to be recording.

#39 3 years ago

Glad to see all 6 optos are working in the idol test.

#40 3 years ago

I pushed down directly behind the idol and it said "You cheat Dr. Jones", so I assume it registered. I don't think that's it.

not there...as the ball goes into subway, it will roll to end of subway, is that opto working? after that it will kick up to a flat spot with a opto right in front of idol, is that opto working? switch edges, test em.

#41 3 years ago

Okay. Go into Switch Test in the menu and literally just drop a ball in the center hole/ball lock? No problem

#42 3 years ago

Nope. No topper at all. No mods. All original as far as I can tell.

Alright. I do not have any good suggestions.

QSS

#43 3 years ago

Okay. Go into Switch Test in the menu and literally just drop a ball in the center hole/ball lock? No problem

Yes. Hard to know during gameplay which one is not registering.

#44 3 years ago

switch edge test...block opto in front of idol, you can see it if you look behind idol, its not in subway. working? if its working then lift pf and use something and try to block optos at end of subway to see if they work, if i remember they can be hard to get to.

#45 3 years ago

I'm thinking the right popper is not being seen so the ball is not being kicked up to the idol. But there are still 2 other optos before it reaches the right popper too and I don't know if that will cause the same issue or not.

#46 3 years ago

You might have to loosen the opto board, best way of checking is to aim a video camera at the optos, you should see a slight flickering in the viewfinder coming from each one as you film them, this will tell you if they are "working" or not.

Sounds like you have to replace some optos that are bad/faulty.

-Nate

#47 3 years ago

Ok. You guys are probably going to laugh at me, but whatever. I put the ball in the subway and it registered going in and it said something like subway lock right after. I'm assuming those are the two sensors. Now I can't get the ball out. I assumed there was a menu to eject it, but I can't find it. And the game won't start with the ball in the subway. Do I seriously have to manually get it out?

#48 3 years ago

just put it on coil test and pop ball out. so if subways are working what about opto before idol on top of pf? you still havent checked that one.

#49 3 years ago

It sounds like the opto on the right popper is not working. It could even be a broken wire to the transmitter or receiver opto board on that right popper. As Kahanaohana mentioned, select the coil test and either let it go through all the coils or just go straight to the right popper to get the ball out. Easy enough too with the playfield partially up you can even manually push up on the right popper. You would want to manually push up on the right popper plunger (with the ball removed) in the switch edge test as well to see if the right popper opto is registering.

#50 3 years ago

Ok, I have owned my IJ for over 15 years and it started doing the exact same behavior as shown in the last video. It seems to start acting up at the beginning of a multiball with the same music and video on the dmd. It is also intermittent.

It did this right after a major shopping out. I also upgraded the GI to leds and left regular bulbs everywhere else AND I installed a new topper that is getting power from a tap to the main driver board (from a plug in the lower left corner) .

Hope their is a solution!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside