• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2022-05-06 202858 (resized).jpg
20220506_201349 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

On Indiana Jones Pinball adventure there's a single Drop target at the top of the playfield, with a captive ball behind it. I've had intermittant dot's on that coil / mech for months now.
I finally had enough after adjusting the mechanisim, and looking at why it wouldn't register, so with my latest Pinballife Order I got myself a new mech.

When I replaced It, I made sure I un-soldered only one wire, and then moved it over, but the new mech had a diode on the release coil, and I thought "Fantastic" this may finally fix my dot, and get it to behave as it should. Well I have no idea what the people before did/tried, or if the diode was in the correct direction, so of course, when I plugged it in, and closed the door, it blew F104, which is responsible for that coil...

Ok... so new fuse, and swap the wires backwards from the way they were, still blows the fuse, Ok, remove the diode, still blows the fuse... I look on the Driver board, and I have a Tip102 that's not happy, so I replace, it but because I don't want to do anymore damage I use a lower 2A Fuse instead of 3A and still blows it, as soon as I close the door... So I'm kind of at a loss, can someone send me a picture where you can see the wire colors on the Totem Coil / Release Coil ? Maybe someone wired them wrong a while back, and it just never really manifested itself until now... I tried looking in the manual, but wire Colors are described as Purple-XXX which doesn't help they both have purple-XXX wires on them.

If I leave the release coil disconnected the rest of the game plays fine... so it's definitely that coil.

I tried the WMS Wiring Schematic, but they don't have wire colors Just connectors, and pins... I'll keep looking at this schematic, but I feel a close-up of that mech would help answer some questions, also on if there's a diode on the release coil.

#2 1 year ago

Coil on your game doesn't get a diode. So it doesn't matter what color is on either side. ( unless one side has two wires of the same color, they stay together on one lug. )

So you took out it's drive transistor, and maybe some stuff upstream from it.

I'd check the coil too, to be sure it's okay.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Coil on your game doesn't get a diode. So it doesn't matter what color is on either side. ( unless one side has two wires of the same color, they stay together on one lug. )
So you took out it's drive transistor, and maybe some stuff upstream from it.
I'd check the coil too, to be sure it's okay.

I found a second Tip 102 that was bad, but disguising itself

#4 1 year ago

That was it... the second Tip 102 looked ok, but the diode beside it looked leaky, as in it read voltage in the opposite direction, once I removed and tested the diode, which tested fine out of circuit, the Tip102 showed its true colors...
So a factory installed Diode caused 2 Transistors to fail, and a massive headache for me, I should have known... but now the mech works 100% and no more dot... Nice!!!

So for future searches for the mech or its wiring, I've added pictures of how mine is wired with no issues, and no more dot. Take it for what it's worth I don't know what all has been monkey'd with as this machine seems to have been in a bar, or a heavy smoking establishment as it reaks of smoke, and therefore likely routed. But this worked for me.

20220506_201349 (resized).jpg20220506_201349 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-05-06 202858 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-05-06 202858 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from DCrosby:

So a factory installed Diode

From the parts supplier.

Your era of game didn't have diodes on two lug coils. Three lug coils like flippers have them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,419.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 12.95
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-pinball-adventure-blows-f104-totem-release-coil-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.