Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Skyemont
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Okay I am running out of ideas.. My Indiana Jones (williams) will come on, but thats it. No lights come on, no sound, no backglass, nothing. Can not play it at all. All the boards are on and the CPU light is solid red not flashing. I have replaced all fuses, tested the power driver board (no problems), CPU board tested ok. Transformer is fine. Power supply is ok. I have put in all new ribbon cables. I give up.. Could it be a ground somewhere or a Harness Issue? I would appreciate anyone's ideas. It driving me up the wall....

#2 12 years ago

Go over your connections again and make sure you did'nt
miss any pins on the connectors and make sure they are seated
properly.

#3 12 years ago

Thanks Pinmike. I will go over it again on the connectors. I only have two pins so down to one is just killing me. Not sure what to do if the pins on the connectors are all seated correctly.

#4 12 years ago

When did the problems occur?Were you working on it?

#5 12 years ago

Pertinent post skye, since I am considering an IJ right now! Good luck...

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Pertinent post skye, since I am considering an IJ right now! Good luck..

I ran into a problem like this awhile back on my TAF and
it turned out to be a ribbon cable going to the CPU was
off a little bit.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

I ran into a problem like this awhile back on my TAF and
it turned out to be a ribbon cable going to the CPU was
off a little bit.

and you are leaving? common. broke dad is gone. that's great advice.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

and you are leaving? common. broke dad is gone. that's great advice.

Well,Could you please sir tell Skyemont what the problem is and
where to start...

#9 12 years ago

Thanks for all the advise. Well, here is a new issue. I checked alot of the ribbon cables and got it to come on this time but the head to the right where it captures the balls (forgot the name) keeps spinning around and does not stop. Also the light to the CUP board that is suppose to be flashing is not on at all now. Nothing. Am I getting close or ??? Still can not play it at this point.

#10 12 years ago

Did you check the connectors on the CPU and make sure they are
in the correct locations?

#11 12 years ago

Yes i sure did. Before all of this happened, it would just restart while in the middle of game play. Sometimes, when it was idol, not playing it at all just turned on and sitting, it would cut it self off and reboot. That's when it all started. About 3 weeks ago...

#12 12 years ago

Have you had a look at the bridge rectifiers, front and back? I had a similar problem with an I500 where the board looked good from the front, but was hacked soldered on the back.

#13 12 years ago

I guess you need to sell it to me skyemont. I will make it happen. (cheap)

#14 12 years ago

Could be the bridge rectifier and the filter cap. Especially if you had resets in the past.

#15 12 years ago

I think BR/cap replacement is not as common as most think. Connector issues, in my experience, cause more reset issues.

When you say all the things you mentioned are "ok", what does that mean? Does it mean you checked all the voltages and everything checks out in range, or that they just appear to be visually ok? I’m not trying to be condescending with this remark, just have no idea what your experience level is.

When resets occur, it's usually due to a very slight voltage drop, which again, usually can be rectified with the re-seating of power connectors. I also disconnect and reconnect all the large connectors in the cab from the transformer. All you need is another .05 of a volt sometimes.

What are your 5v test point readings?

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I think BR/cap replacement is not as common as most think. Connector issues, in my experience, cause more reset issues.

Agreed about the connectors, much more common. That doesn't mean that the rectifier wasn't replaced by some hack who set it too close to the board. It is worth a check, especially if you have low voltage coming off your wall.

#17 12 years ago

Also, I'd like to add that if re-seating a connector makes the problem go away, you haven't fixed the issue. It means that the connector needs to be dealt with, the problem will come back.

#18 12 years ago

Connectors cause issues for sure, especially GI connectors. On the other hand, I only own two WPC games so far and both of them had bridge rectifier hacks. Resets were a common problem until I addressed it. One was as easy as re-flowing the solder on the back of the board. Good luck.

#19 12 years ago

Yes I agree, this sounds like a connection problem. I would take a close look at the "Z" connector as well, TZ, IJ etc have this connector and it is prone to issues. If you can see any burned plugs anywhere, that is where you need to start. Replace them as per the guides, with Molex connectors and Trifurcon pins and headers, don't skimp on the headers unless you know they were replaced recently and with the correct pins.

Keep us updated

#20 12 years ago

BR hacks are because clay states this is the main cause and everyone replaced them. This has lead to hacks, and the associated capacitor, which needs replacing too (don't do one without the other), is a tough thing to remove for novices.

Clay is a god as for as pinball knowledge is concerned, however connectors have always been the thing I find to be the main problem with low 5v, not always, but almost.

I wish he would frickin get over the previous BS and place all the guides back up for newbs, but that's another story. I mean everyone he was trying to give the finger too is either good enough and doesn't need the guides, or has them downloaded anyway, so this only hurts noobs to which we can't simply point to a link anymore....

Anyway, back on topic. Although this seems like a band aid solution, in my experience it will still last years. There is no concern, unlike with GI connector issues, for anything to get damages from not dealing with the connector, so if you laze out on this one, it’s cool =)

#21 12 years ago

I really appreciate all the help. I thought it was the bridge rectifiers until i had the board tested along w/ the CPU board and both turn out to be ok. I had them sent off. I do agree it could be a bad connection. I am learning about pinballs but 100% not an expert. I need one of your guys to come by and fix it for me. Looks like Soapman is the winner. You are in NC and i am in VA. Atomicboy I have disconnected and reconnected all the large connectors in the cab from the transformer. Still nothing. Why can't it just be a fuse.... Does anyone know of any videos i can watch based on what everything everyone is telling me. I got it to atleast come on last night but the idol head just kept spinning and the light on the CUP board was not on at all. It is suppose to be flashing but it was not on at all. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again to everyone..

#22 12 years ago

How were they tested? Did someone test them in their game, or booted them on the bench? Issues like this become more difficult without being there.

Again, do you have clay's WPC guides? I would start there, as this is very clear in starting at ground zero with testing everything.

Did you measure any voltages, or are you comfortable with that? Can you enter diagnostic settings?

#23 12 years ago

Atomicboy. The boards were tested on a bench from someone in Ohio who repairs boards, etc.. 65 dollars later there was not problem w/ the power driver board. How can i get clay's WPC guides? I am still learning but have not tested voltages myself. I can not enter into the diagnostic setting. It will not let me at this point. The pinball is on but dead if you know what i mean..

#24 12 years ago

Did you say the CPU board was tested as well?

I think you have a low 5v issue, but it’s hard to tell at this point. The first step, as you have obviously re-seated all connectors by this point a couple times, is to confirm that the 5v is over at least 4.92 all the way to the MPU.

I’m also sceptical about the testing on the bench. Do you know how it was tested? Was it just booted on the bench and confirmed to be running the program, or did someone have the equipment to simulate the game starting and running? Did someone test in their game?

I don’t know... I have a bunch of possibilities rolling around in my head, but the fact of the matter is that many things need to be verified before guessing.

Anyone have a working link for the pinrepair guides, all the ones I have are no good. I have the zip but it's 200M. Start with the basics here:

http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/index.htm

Other than that, you could try posting for a tech in your city on RGP. Did you re-seat the z connector as someone mentioned? Do you know what that is? Don't be shy here in stating what you don't know. I wish I could help you more, but there are too many unknowns.

#25 12 years ago

Atomicboy I really appreciate all your help. You are correct in saying i don't know as much as alot of you guys on here. I do think it is a 5v issues based on what alot of you are saying. Now, the problem is, how do i fix it. It was tested on a bench. I think it was wired and he has a monitor to test the board. Not really sure. These are great questions. I will go to pinrepair.com and see if it will help at all. You can always fly down from Canada and help me out here in VA.. LOL It might be cheaper price if i just pay for your plane ticket in lieu of hiring someone at 85 dollars an hour. Not many Tech's around these parts.. I know the basics but thats it. THats why i am asking all these questions on Pinside which i love this site. Very, very helpful. You have helped me greatly and i appreciate it. I will keep digging and 100% let everyone know what the issue was when it is found. Oh, this is a question for everyone. I think i have a chance to trade my Pirates for a Monster Bash. What do you think?

#26 12 years ago

If there is a low 5v issues, it would likely be in the connectors, or not board related, which is why it may boot fine on he bench. If it makes you feel better, I think you are likely one replaced pin away from having it work. Buuuuut it's finding what is dragging down the 5v that is the issue.

I'll pm you about the guide you need.

As for your trade idea, I haven't played POTC, but people love it or hate it, but some people that I trust in reviews like it. Having said that, I don't really care for MB. I could have had a couple nice ones, but I've never really been thrilled with it when I played it, and it's known for not being too deep.

To each their own though, and some love it. My recommendation would be for something else though, but again, many love it.

#27 12 years ago

Connector issues sounds better than a board issue. I have been looking at this thing tonight for about 2 hours. Going thru as much as i know how to do. I have a friend who knows a guy who live about 30 minutes from me who says 100% he can fix it. He has restored over 10 indy's before and knows exactly what to look for. THIS IS GOOD NEWS. I miss playing it badly. Atomicboy i really appreciate all your help and advise as wells as everyone else on this site. Good to know there are people that like to still helps others. Thanks again..

#30 12 years ago

This guy Skyemont lives two blocks from me but made up a bunch of lies about me on RGP after I had him in my house to play.

Here is the thread he started http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/547752c5fbd370e9/d398e93f7ebda25d

I can't be on Pinside with guys like this. I really like what Robin is doing but this is like having lunch with someone that just stole your lunch money.

My suggestion to people here is to do your homework before dealing with anyone on line.

#31 12 years ago

Well, that’s a shame given you both are so close to each other. It’s not my business, so I don’t want to get involved, but maybe there is a chance that you guys can somehow find a way to move past it, given your ridiculously close proximity to each other and your niche interest here.

#32 12 years ago

It sucks that it happened to you, but it could have happened to anyone. It's not a Pinside thing as he even took it over to RGP. I guess I don't understand the quitting Pinside part and not quitting RGP. Again, it sucks, but the inevitable happened. You got trolled and your rep prevailed, or at least that's my opinion by reading the thread.

No matter how good of a seller, or how nice of a guy you are, metaphorically, only 9 out of 10 deals, meets, interactions will go well. There's just too much crazy out there.... everywhere. Has nothing to do with Pinside.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

I can't be on Pinside with guys like this. I really like what Robin is doing but this is like having lunch with someone that just stole your lunch money.

#33 12 years ago

Had the same problem with my IJ and it was the ribbon cable, the one from cpu to fliptronics to sound pcb etc. Got it running then the idol would not stop turning.

#34 12 years ago

Hey Tympen, wish it was the ribbon cables.. I replaced them all. I think it might be my CPU board. I am taking it to a guy here local that works on them and he is going (i hope) to figure it out. Then i will post and let everyone know what happened. Thanks..

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Hey Tympen, wish it was the ribbon cables.. I replaced them all. [] I think it might be my CPU board. I am taking it to a guy here local that works on them and he is going (i hope) to figure it out. Then i will post and let everyone know what happened. Thanks..

Good luck Skyemont and hopefully it will be fixed so you can get
back to enjoying it again.

#36 12 years ago

Thanks pinmike. It's like having cake and ice cream in the house and being on a diet. It sucks. At least i still have my Pirates of the Caribbean to play.

1 week later
#37 12 years ago

The problem has been fixed. Thanks to a friend of mine he found the problem. The problem was a rom chip on the CPU board needed to be taken off and sanded down a little bit. The connection was not quite there. IJ is up and running great. Thanks for everyones help and feedback thru these tough few weeks...

#38 12 years ago

damn what a pain for sure, not sure why that woulda went flakey on you all of a sudden

#39 12 years ago

not sure either. we took the rom out, cleaned the connectors, and used sand paper to do so. Took several times but it worked. I had done everything you can think of to fix the issue except this. Just glad its up and running..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

14,000 (OBO)
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

12,500 (OBO)
$ 12.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 29.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-issue-continues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.