BA860D15-487B-4D06-9F5A-1AD6A9AED047 (resized).jpeg
13629E86-CCE2-4882-A72C-E6066432A5BA (resized).jpeg
3E4E3C06-C94E-4B1D-82D7-237092A22D85 (resized).jpeg
IJ solenoid  24.pdf (PDF preview)
1ECC59FC-E298-4127-BDB2-CAC39FA031E3 (resized).jpeg
switchmarkings (resized).JPG
E1B7999E-CAD3-41B1-8ABC-B9213DCE662E (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I am restoring this game, it was fine a week ago. I did install a "Super Ball" switch before the problem started. I don't know if the Slam Tilt started right after I installed the Super Ball switch, it's possible.

I read quite a few other Slam Tilt threads, most say they hit this or hit that and then got the error message. Mine happens on startup. I also get an Idol error and it doesn't turn at startup any more. I tested the cabinet floor tilt switch in the switch test, it did not work. The plumb bob tilt switch does work fine. The contacts are not touching at rest. I unplugged it, still get the Slam Tilt error.

In the switch test the other switches in the Slam Tilt row and column work fine.

Should I fix the Idol issue first?

Thanks for the help!

#2 3 years ago

I'd remove the super ball switch and see if it corrects the issue.

Maybe it is wired wrong. White wire to black end of diode, silver band end of diode to a lug. Green wire to a lug. compare to other switches in your game. All wired following the same wiring pattern.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Thank you @ltg. Here is a pic of the switch. The small rectangular resistor is currently not attached. It was attached to the lug opposite of the blue/gray wire, the lug on the other side of the side shown in the picture.

E1B7999E-CAD3-41B1-8ABC-B9213DCE662E (resized).pngE1B7999E-CAD3-41B1-8ABC-B9213DCE662E (resized).png
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from RCSP:

The small rectangular resistor

You mean that diode thingy.

Compared to my picture it is wired right. The lugs on the sides are for the light in the switch.

So something else is causing your slam tilt. One on the door and one on the floor of the game. Are they both open ?

switchmarkings (resized).JPGswitchmarkings (resized).JPG
#5 3 years ago

This resistor was originally attached when I started my restoration so I attached it.

1ECC59FC-E298-4127-BDB2-CAC39FA031E3 (resized).jpeg1ECC59FC-E298-4127-BDB2-CAC39FA031E3 (resized).jpeg
#6 3 years ago
Quoted from RCSP:

This resistor was originally attached when I started my restoration so I attached it.

Yikes. No idea what that is for. Never seen it in an IJ.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yikes. No idea what that is for. Never seen it in an IJ.

It just goes to ground along with the Gray/Yellow wire. The Slam Tilt issue has stopped. No idea why. I was in the Idol test mode, moved a few wires and it started turning. I don't think I was touching anything when it started moving. So I shut off machine, turned on, no Slam Tilt. So I reattached the Slam Tilt switch on the floor of the cabinet and it works in the switch test. The switch works now, just need to get a ground wire so the light works. Thanks so much!

#8 3 years ago

IJ solenoid  24.pdfIJ solenoid 24.pdf

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

[quoted image]

That's awesome, thank you!

#10 3 years ago

Normally I turn off the power to do any soldering. But to attach the resistor I got lazy. As I started to solder the light went on, so I was happy to see it was working. But as soon as I remove the solder iron the light goes out. Now it's soldered on (good connection) and no light. I touch the solder iron to the lug and the light comes on. Is it using the solder iron as a ground? I ran an alligator wire from the lug to ground, no light! I'm not the best with electrical issues.

#11 3 years ago

The solder iron is plugged in but is turned off. When I touch the lug it lights up

13629E86-CCE2-4882-A72C-E6066432A5BA (resized).jpeg13629E86-CCE2-4882-A72C-E6066432A5BA (resized).jpeg3E4E3C06-C94E-4B1D-82D7-237092A22D85 (resized).jpeg3E4E3C06-C94E-4B1D-82D7-237092A22D85 (resized).jpeg
#12 3 years ago

I got 0 volts from the gray/yellow to ground. zaza showed that is power wire. I grounded to the ribbon wire near the start switch. Tried the ribbon wire over near the on/off switch and I got power. Then I found this....

BA860D15-487B-4D06-9F5A-1AD6A9AED047 (resized).jpegBA860D15-487B-4D06-9F5A-1AD6A9AED047 (resized).jpeg
#13 3 years ago
Quoted from RCSP:

I got 0 volts from the gray/yellow to ground.

Always turn OFF the machine when soldering. Most irons have indeed a grounded tip. So it is very likely that the 12Vunreg fuse has blown now.
Check fuse F116

edit:
looks like you had power but an broken GND wire

#14 3 years ago

zaza F116 was blown. I turned off the machine, finished soldering, but turn the machine on and it blows F116. Not sure what I did wrong. I checked the voltage of the gray/yellow at the connector to ground ribbon and it’s 0 volts.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from RCSP:

Not sure what I did wrong.

Let's review.

Quoted from RCSP:

Normally I turn off the power to do any soldering. But to attach the resistor I got lazy.

So...sometimes you get lucky and only blow a fuse when working on a game with power on, other times you don't. Looks like you were not lucky this time. Sorry to hear.

#16 3 years ago

Does F116 still blow if you remove the J116 to J119 connectors at the bottom left of the driver board?

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Does F116 still blow if you remove the J116 to J119 connectors at the bottom left of the driver board?

I’ll try that tonight. I hooked everything up and F116 does blow. The switch is all soldered correctly and I repaired the ribbon wire. What’s odd is the yellow/gray wire in the zaza pic just screws into the cabinet and does not touch the ground ribbon wire.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from RCSP:

What’s odd is the yellow/gray wire in the zaza pic just screws into the cabinet and does not touch the ground ribbon wire.

Do NOT connect the GRY-YEL wire to the ground BRAID. That's a direct short to ground and it will blow the +12VU fuse (F116).

01_ij_superball_power_wire.jpg01_ij_superball_power_wire.jpg
#19 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Do NOT connect the GRY-YEL wire to the ground BRAID. That's a direct short to ground and it will blow the +12VU fuse (F116).[quoted image]

Can I please borrow your screen name? That’s exactly what I did.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from RCSP:

Can I please borrow your screen name

Lol

#21 3 years ago

Well the Super Ball light doesn't work. I looked in the manual, J116-2 is where the gray/yellow wire gets its power, and J116-3 is the ground. I used a DMM and checked AC voltage from J116-2 to J116-3 and it's supposed to be 12V but I get 30v. Can I check at the connector by the Super Ball switch, check voltage from gray/yellow (red DMM lead) to ribbon wire ground (black DMM lead) ?

Edit: The manual says the J116-2 to coin door J2-4 and the ground wire is J116-3 to coin door J2-5. The connector at the coin door has 4 connectors, so how can the ground wire be J2-5?

#22 3 years ago

I found this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-ij-super-ball-button

It says the Super Ball light is on a flasher circuit. I put in test mode for Flashers and it works fine!

#23 3 years ago

I have a credit dot. "Error Single Drop Bad, check Coil / Switch. I assume this is the drop target in front of the captured ball. In the Solenoid test it works fine. In the switch test the switch is fine. I tested both the other day as well, were working fine, credit dot has been there a while. I checked and I have only 9 games played.

#24 3 years ago

Remove the glass, start a game and hit the drop target a few times, drain ball. Complete the game, turn off game for a minute, power up and see if error message clears.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from RCSP:

"Error Single Drop Bad, check Coil / Switch."

Check your game version. It's probably L-5. According to the fix list it was fixed in L-6.

"Drop targets are no longer cycled when the coin door is open. This
prevents them from being marked bad because the interlock switch is
open."

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Check your game version. It's probably L-5. According to the fix list it was fixed in L-6.
"Drop targets are no longer cycled when the coin door is open. This
prevents them from being marked bad because the interlock switch is
open."

It's actually L-4!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 1,419.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,500 (OBO)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-ij-slam-tilt-at-startup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.