• Latest reply 3 years ago by ThomasH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200727_171637 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

The Idol will error from time to time when it is starting at position 1 or 2, works well from all other positions. When starting from position 1 during start up, it will pause at position 2 and then continue, when it does that, it will sometimes error, it will stop just short of the final position. If I back out to test and restart, it will move the rest of the way, Maybe 1/4" and remove the error.
A new motor has been installed and all of the optos have been replaced but the problem continues. I have also reset the position of the motor and Idol housing to make sure it is not dragging at all with the motor shaft.
The power driver board has also been worked on which fixed my Path of Adventure problem, would stutter going to the left but now works fine. I will try to attach a short video, at the very beginning of the video, 1st couple of seconds is where it pauses, at position 2.
Thanks for any help, I want to sell my Indy soon so I want any problem with it fixed.
This appears to be a reimport from Germany, I believe, I think it has a German 3 slot coin door, if that matters in any way.
Well, I was only able to attach a picture of the Idol stopping just short. It stops there, when it errors, very consistently, the same spot.

20200727_171637 (resized).jpg20200727_171637 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

There is an opto driver PCB under the playfield that drives those optos and interfaces with the switch matrix on the driver board. That could be an issue.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

There is an opto driver PCB under the playfield that drives those optos and interfaces with the switch matrix on the driver board. That could be an issue.

Yes. Repin that connector going to it and replace the board connector.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Thank you.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Yes. Repin that connector going to it and replace the board connector.

Thank you.

#6 3 years ago

We had a similar issue with ours and it turned out being that one of the optos on the underside had come lose and was out of alignment.
When you power cycled the game the idol would return to the correct position and was good for a ball or two, but then balls would start getting backed up behind it and not feed into the correct positions and the idol would position itself wrong.
Idol tested fine in test mode because it wasn’t actually an issue with the idol, rather an issue with the optos.
Readjusted the opto and it’s been fine since.

#7 3 years ago

Here is a link that might help you troubleshoot:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-indiana-jones-idol-troubleshooting-guide

It could be an intermittent issue and may not aLways show up in idol-test. If it is always stopping in the same position then it could be an intermittent Idol opto. Good luck.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

We had a similar issue with ours and it turned out being that one of the optos on the underside had come lose and was out of alignment.
When you power cycled the game the idol would return to the correct position and was good for a ball or two, but then balls would start getting backed up behind it and not feed into the correct positions and the idol would position itself wrong.

Thank you.
Idol tested fine in test mode because it wasn’t actually an issue with the idol, rather an issue with the optos.
Readjusted the opto and it’s been fine since.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Here is a link that might help you troubleshoot:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-indiana-jones-idol-troubleshooting-guide
It could be an intermittent issue and may not aLways show up in idol-test. If it is always stopping in the same position then it could be an intermittent Idol opto. Good luck.

Thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 1,419.00
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 85.00
14,000 (OBO)
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

12,500 (OBO)
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Wanted

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-idol-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.