Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by lockislit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am having a sporadic problem with my IJ. When you knock down the targets and lock a ball in the idol, occasionally the ball will enter the lock hole behind the targets and nothing will happen. It doesnt proceed to the idol to be kicked up for locking. The game just sits there. When I lift up the playfield of course the ball is visible in the subway area under the lock hole in the center, but I am sure its gravity because when you look when the playfield is down, you see nothing. I assume that the ball is to proceed to the next opto which tells the machine that it needs to be sent to the Idol and this must be where its just sitting there.

I have cleaned all the optos I see, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and perhaps another remedy. I can take the subway apart again and clean the optos or change them out. Sure would like to know if thats where the issue is though.

Any thoughts?

Bruce

#2 7 years ago

Did you put the game in test mode and see if the optos are actually registering. Cleaning won't do anything if they aren't working.

#3 7 years ago

I didnt because it does work 80% of the time. So I assumed it did work. I was thinking maybe there was something blocking ball from getting to the opto ( not sure what the first opto is called that send it further down to the solenoid that pushes it up to the idol). Perhaps I need to wait for a ball to not register, then go into test mode and see if that opto switch is till open or closed.

#4 7 years ago

If you see the ball just sitting there it probably means something is blocking the ball from traveling down to the idol. Remove the subway ramp to make sure nothing is binding or blocking the ball from traveling to the idol. This is a good time to clean and wax the subway ramp.

Now, if the ball travels down to the idol but nothing is registering, then I could see it being an opto related problem.

#5 7 years ago

Thats my problem. I cant see the ball sitting in the subway because when you raise the subway, the ball will roll back to the left side of the subway under the center hole. There is no way to evaluate actually whats happening under the playfield

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from bsbdmd83:

Thats my problem. I cant see the ball sitting in the subway because when you raise the subway, the ball will roll back to the left side of the subway under the center hole. There is no way to evaluate actually whats happening under the playfield

Gotcha. I would still remove the assembly to clean it and inspect it. I would do a switch edge test. Roll a ball in there during test mode and see if the optos register. I still think it's gravity related or something blocking the ball since you are saying it doesn't happen all of the time

1 month later
#7 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Gotcha. I would still remove the assembly to clean it and inspect it. I would do a switch edge test. Roll a ball in there during test mode and see if the optos register. I still think it's gravity related or something blocking the ball since you are saying it doesn't happen all of the time

So, did you ever fix the problem?

#8 6 years ago

Another idea is to raise the height of the back legs a bit. . . the subway trough could be at a shallow angle and if the table is to "level" the ball may not always roll downward to trigger the opto sensors. Could explain the intermittent nature. . . and it would be an easy fix.

#9 6 years ago

I had same issue with my IJ last month,there is 2 sets of optos in the trough.One of my emmiters was bad.Like Lermods said check in self test if optos are working.Also can look through a camera phone,not iphone,and see if emmiter glowing blue because emmiter is usually what fails

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

14,000 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,419.00
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-idol-ball-lock-issue?hl=bsbdmd83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.