Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by Medisinyl
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190221_185649 (resized).jpg
729A8995-A9DD-4711-887B-95087364C1E2 (resized).jpeg
FA0D8A12-6F09-48FF-98A6-E2E66A42D31E (resized).jpeg
20190213_221548 (resized).jpg
IJstonetest (resized).jpg
50951 (resized).jpeg
50946 (resized).jpeg
20190206_151230 (resized).jpg
20190206_151315 (resized).jpg
20190206_004349 (resized).jpg
20190206_004604 (resized).jpg
20190206_004604 (resized).jpg
20190206_004548 (resized).jpg
20190206_004403 (resized).jpg
20190206_004349 (resized).jpg
20190205_205252 (resized).jpg

#1 16 days ago

Still working on this mod. Not certain when I'll start taking orders, but I intend to start shipping within two weeks after that point, then runs every week afterward. *As I've learned from other mod runs, buyers prefer to remain anonymous, so I won't post who is in on the mod in this thread, but I'll plan to keep everyone updated on where they're at once I begin.*

I put a short slideshow together to show some of the process (couldn't figure out how to embed a gif, so YouTube it is):

3 silicone molds were made (one of the factory rails to make copies I could destroy, and one of each final rail [certainly the most expensive and time consuming project I've worked on--countless hours over a period of months for the love of pinball and art ).

As seen in the slideshow, I first created a simple CAD design as a base for the idol I wanted to make, then melted the PLA to shape before applying clay. Rest came together as I went along. Carvings made outside of the clay were done with a dremel--the ball contact path didn't get any extra details outside of a few vertical lines, so these are intended to perform like the factory rails.

These photos are for an LED version (already drilled), but the LEDs haven't been installed yet (non-LED version will get domes for the eyes). This video shows some of how the LEDs will perform (there's a capacitor in the circuit to enable a fiery fade and flicker rather than sterile blinking).

EDIT: LED video test (painted rail):

-- Installed photos, LED interaction video, another color option, etc. will be added here as they're ready.
20190205_184824 (resized).jpg20190205_200542 (resized).jpg20190205_205244 (resized).jpg20190205_205252 (resized).jpg
20190206_004604 (resized).jpg20190206_004349 (resized).jpg

#2 16 days ago

Looks great!
Where were you when I had my IJ?? Lol.
Keep it up!

#3 15 days ago

amazing cant wait!!!

#4 15 days ago

please make the other ruins as well as a few of us pinsiders will not purchase from the other guy.

#5 15 days ago

Going to upload a video clip soon of the LED function on the painted rail (LEDs of course don't look all washed out in person).

20190206_004349 (resized).jpg20190206_004403 (resized).jpg20190206_004548 (resized).jpg20190206_004604 (resized).jpg
#6 15 days ago

...and the video clip (again, isn't blown out in person and has a deeper red tone):

#7 15 days ago

Couple photos to show the wiring. Any necessary instructions and routing information will be included with each set. The rail hides all of the wiring, including the resistor, capacitor, etc. There's a plug connector in the wiring for easier installation.

It's possible this will change slightly for the production run.

Taking a couple days away from this project for now as I'm backed up with other work, but I'll have more updates to show soon after

20190206_151230 (resized).jpg20190206_151315 (resized).jpg
#8 15 days ago

Looks awesome. Wow.

#9 15 days ago

Looks fantastic. And I agree that we might need a matching set of the other ruins. I have a set of ruins waiting to be installed in my IJ. Maybe you could just offer the "painting" service for those who wish to send their existing ruins to you. Or if that's not possible, I'd definitely be up for a set created/molded/painted by you.

Oh yeah... one more thought. Please post pics of these mounted to the playfield when you get to that point. I'm interested to see how your colors blend with the existing playfield colors.

#10 15 days ago

Any guesstimate as to how much these will be offered for with the leds? Just a ballpark figure... not looking to hold you to anything. Thanks

#11 15 days ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Looks fantastic. And I agree that we might need a matching set of the other ruins. I have a set of ruins waiting to be installed in my IJ. Maybe you could just offer the "painting" service for those who wish to send their existing ruins to you. Or if that's not possible, I'd definitely be up for a set created/molded/painted by you.
Oh yeah... one more thought. Please post pics of these mounted to the playfield when you get to that point. I'm interested to see how your colors blend with the existing playfield colors.

I appreciate the positive feedback While I'm not planning to make any other IJ mods (lots of other mods in mind I'd like to get to), you're not the first to ask if I'd offer a painting service for those pieces. It's not out of the question. I imagine pricing would be in line with how Modfather prices his painting services (at this stage, it's TBD).

#12 15 days ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I appreciate the positive feedback While I'm not planning to make any other IJ mods (lots of other mods in mind I'd like to get to), you're not the first to ask if I'd offer a painting service for those pieces. It's not out of the question. I imagine pricing would be in line with how Modfather prices his painting services (at this stage, it's TBD).

As I mentioned in the other thread, please put me on the list of interested people. Thanks.

#13 15 days ago

Please keep us updated! your other mods are excellent quality.

#14 15 days ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

The set of idol ruins in my game is cracked slightly. That’s why I have a NOS set waiting to be installed. I’d even be willing to ship you my cracked set if you wanted something to practice your painting on. I could probably even epoxy the cracks such that it would look decent enough to install. PM me if your interested in this.

#15 14 days ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

The set of idol ruins in my game is cracked slightly. That’s why I have a NOS set waiting to be installed. I’d even be willing to ship you my cracked set if you wanted something to practice your painting on. I could probably even epoxy the cracks such that it would look decent enough to install. PM me if your interested in this.

Depending on demand, I may need to wait before entertaining such commissions to make sure I can get my mods out in a timely fashion, but this sort of request could be figured out. If not many people want this service, then perhaps I could fit it in amongst the runs.

Quoted from Vegasbills:

Please keep us updated! your other mods are excellent quality.

Thank you!

Expect an update here on Sunday night (pricing information will be decided then). By then I should have my existing orders shipped out (unrelated mods), significant other entertained for the weekend, etc.

Quoted from gac:

As I mentioned in the other thread, please put me on the list of interested people. Thanks.

Anyone that has posted interest in this thread, the main IJ thread, or PMd me have been accounted for and added to the list.

When I open up orders (after I can reveal all details and options), I'll first ask those on my list if they'd like to purchase. If so, the order I put people on my initial list will be first in line (not payment order). That order may be altered slightly by color choice for runs, but as I'll be shipping runs as often as I can (going back and forth with colors if necessary), color choice shouldn't affect shipping date by much. Once I satisfy those that expressed early interest, I'll open up a Pinside listing as well.

#16 11 days ago

As I promised pricing would be revealed tonight, the plan is $199/$235 (non-led/LED set) + shipping. Not taking any orders yet.

Still working toward final fitment/consistency adjustments and such, but it's looking good. The reveal on this was a bit early for how I usually go about my mod reveals, but various details about this particular mod led to that. This project has been going on in some form since Oct., but we're in the final stretch.

Still plan to get a second color option revealed soon and I'll be working on that tomorrow (in the midst of casting a second set right now).

For now, here's an idea of what gray stone looks like against the yellow playfield.

50946 (resized).jpeg

50951 (resized).jpeg
#17 10 days ago

mispost

#18 10 days ago

For those asking about dimensions--my left rail only adds about 1-2mm of height thickness over the factory texture where none of the thicker vines are placed (in some areas I was nearly flush with the top of the factory stone texture, so less than 1mm in places). In the skinnier areas, the vines merely fall into the curve and don't add extra height. Such visual design choices were made with player perspective in mind, as well as creating the idea of more depth in areas I couldn't do much carving due to wanting to keep the ball contact path smooth (still well enough above the ball path). No clay was used in the ball contact path on either side. The right rail also adds very little material on top (more over the idol) as I didn't want to inhibit ball visibility. It's very slightly higher than the left side as I added a bit of material to the top of the skinnier segments for a more substantial appearance (left side has a bit of that appearance as I was able to square off the curved edges a bit, so it looks a little wider).

EDIT: To add shipping information, I'm not sure on international yet, but US shipping should be $14.99 (actual USPS shipping cost is ~$11+$1 per box + packing materials, handling, etc.).

More materials/tools for this project are arriving tomorrow and Wednesday.

#19 10 days ago

Looks fantastic. Eager to see what the other color looks like. My eyes are having a hard time adjusting to the gray.

What will the leds be controlled by? Maybe poa motor?

#20 10 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Looks fantastic. Eager to see what the other color looks like. My eyes are having a hard time adjusting to the gray.
What will the leds be controlled by? Maybe poa motor?

Plan is to run it off the PoA flasher, but as it will have a fair length and use gator clips, any suitable 12V source could be chosen.

#21 8 days ago

Unfinished paint here as I work toward finalizing the second color option (just stone color in this pic thus far). Will get the vines and final touches done tomorrow at some point. I'll still be hoping to be able to produce at least 5 of these a week once I go into production, but they're proving to be a lot of work, mess, and hours per set in this testing and prototyping stage (fortunately I enjoy doing this sort of thing).

Went with brown, orange, yellow, and sand tones this time around. I imagine it should blend with the game colors a bit better than the gray option.

IJstonetest (resized).jpg

#22 8 days ago

Another color update.

Machine fit test went well on the previous set. For an extreme test, with the habitrail all the way to the left, there was a very slight touching, so that area is getting a slight shape change to make sure that isn't an issue in anyone's machine (already changed on this rail).

20190213_221548 (resized).jpg
#23 7 days ago

I like them! I'm interested, prefer the gold tone vs. grey.

#24 5 days ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I like them! I'm interested, prefer the gold tone vs. grey.

Gold looks beautiful!
Can I get on the list
Thanks Ken

#25 5 days ago

Was working on IJ today, new ramp, Brass wireforms

729A8995-A9DD-4711-887B-95087364C1E2 (resized).jpegFA0D8A12-6F09-48FF-98A6-E2E66A42D31E (resized).jpeg
#26 4 hours ago

Will have more to show by the end of the weekend and should be opening up orders soon.

For now, this gives an idea on color comparison.

20190221_185649 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jacksonville , FL
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 28.00
Boards
PinSound
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside