image_(resized).jpeg
107b_(resized).jpg
107b_(resized).jpg
ps_picture_(resized).jpg
435_(resized).jpg
IMG_1206_(resized).JPG
IMG_1205_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Just picked up an IJ. All is good so far except the coin door switch. It registers open/closed when tested, but the game won't disable high power when open. Looks like a funky switch here though. This is a reimport (France?).

Any ideas what to do next?

IMG_1196_(resized).JPGIMG_1196_(resized).JPG
IMG_1204_(resized).JPGIMG_1204_(resized).JPG
IMG_1203_(resized).JPGIMG_1203_(resized).JPG
IMG_1205_(resized).JPGIMG_1205_(resized).JPG
IMG_1206_(resized).JPGIMG_1206_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

There should have been a pair of switches on a metal bracket, since it registers the door is open/closed, that switch, as bad as it looks is the memory protect switch and is working. My guess it the HV interlock switch that disables the power to the I/O driver failed at some point and was bypassed. Should be a pair of black-yellow wires, one from the transformer, one to the I/O Driver board.

#4 8 years ago

Interesting. So I have a Roadshow and this wiring should mimic it, yes?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Interesting. So I have a Roadshow and this wiring should mimic it, yes?

I would think so.

#6 8 years ago

This is what the wiring on my STTNG looks like, I would think IJ is going to be very similar.

435_(resized).jpg435_(resized).jpg

As you can see in the picture and in Zaza's outstanding diagram there are two pairs of wires, the black-yellow for the 50V and the white-red for the 20V.

#7 8 years ago

The Roadshow and StarTrek:tng are like the link in post #3
Indiana Jones has a different interface board but the idea stays the same:
ps_picture_(resized).jpgps_picture_(resized).jpg

#8 8 years ago

Looks like it's missing the black-yellow for the 50V and the white-red for the 20V.

#9 8 years ago

Yes, these 4 wires are going to be together coming from the transformer you can kind of see them in the picture I linked, somewhere the two pairs are tied together to bypass the interlock. This is the bracket you are missing http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=850, I'll try and dig up the switch part number, I think I bought my last one from Mouser Electronics.

#10 8 years ago

It's possible someone removed the entire secondary interlock harness from the game, and simply plugged the secondary harness from the back box directly into the transformer connector - or left the harness in the game but still plugged the back box secondary harness directly into the transformer connector. A picture of the inside of the front cabinet of the OP's game would be helpful.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

It's possible someone removed the entire secondary interlock harness from the game, and simply plugged the secondary harness from the back box directly into the transformer connector

I didn't consider this at all ... here is a pic of what the secondary wiring harness should look like, you can see the 2 pairs of wires that go to the switch and come back in this picture.

107b_(resized).jpg107b_(resized).jpg

#13 8 years ago

Thanks guys. More photos.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#14 8 years ago

Last question ... see pic
6451615d52eb5bb6894019e723865be2f64fdd56_(resized).jpeg6451615d52eb5bb6894019e723865be2f64fdd56_(resized).jpeg

If this cable goes to the backbox then you are in fact missing the short jumper harness with the interlock wiring...a dangerous situation.

#15 8 years ago

Yes I am.

#16 8 years ago

fudge
Options:
1) find one (may be difficult)
2) make one
3) cut one of the white-red and one of the black-yellow wires on the cable that runs to the backbox, put a pair of 30A 2 wire, or a single 4 wire female molex connector on them and run 4 new wires to the switch and back with a male 30A Molex on it.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

fudge
Options:
1) find one (may be difficult)
2) make one
3) cut one of the white-red and one of the black-yellow wires on the cable that runs to the backbox, put a pair 30A 2 wire, or a single 4 wire female molex connector on them and run 4 new wires to the switch and back with a male 30A Molex on it.

What's the danger of not having it?

#18 8 years ago

That interlock is there to protect the service technician working on the machine, without it you greatly increase the risk of coming into contact with high voltage when servicing the machine. Currently you have no way to disable the high voltage for doing lamp and switch tests under the play field, some of which require you to make measurements with the low voltage circuits powered on...

Well I guess you can remove J102 from from the Power Driver board (with the power off) then raise the playfield, turn the machine back on, do your checks, turn the machine off, lower the playfield back down, reconnect J102 ... its too many steps, plus you wouldn't want to keep stressing the header pins like that.

There is a secondary danger of shorting this high voltage to a lamp or switch contact when doing checks, this would immediately blow components on your CPU and/or Power board.

Kudos to jadziedzic for suggesting the missing interlock cable; like I said earlier, I would never even considered this as a possibility. Seems like it would be more work to remove that harness than to just jumper past it.

#19 8 years ago

I believe some of the exported Indy games were not built with the high power disable interlock. Mine was also a re-import, and it does not have it either. If you notice, there is no high power disable warning message on Indy when the coin door is opened (regardless of whether or not the high power interlock is present or not). I believe Williams left the message out of the game because it would be misleading for the games that didn't actually disable the high power.

#20 8 years ago

What's your date of manufacture?
The IJ I'm restoring is a sample machine (early production) and does not have the high power interlock switch and wiring.
Not worried.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from pincredible:

What's your date of manufacture?
The IJ I'm restoring is a sample machine (early production) and does not have the high power interlock switch and wiring.
Not worried.

Yep I've done some digging too. I can put one in but was most likely made without it, which was common for a reimport. Mfg date is 8/25/93

Thanks for everyone's help.

#22 8 years ago

Interesting, I find it surprising this would have been left out of some export games. Learn something new everyday.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Interesting, I find it surprising this would have been left out of some export games. Learn something new everyday.

It's dangerous over there. Refugees. Cigarettes. Missing interlock switches. Mass hysteria.

#24 8 years ago

I thought I saw cigarette ashes on your transformer

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 1,419.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

12,500 (OBO)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-coin-door-interlock-wont-disable-high-power and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.