ij_plane_bracket.jpg
500px-IJLCSV4.jpg
sized_biplane_ij.jpg
P1030647.jpg
P1030646.jpg
ij_connector3.JPG
ij_connector.JPG
ij_connector2.JPG
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

5W is indeed a little overkill. The flash circuit is 20V. The motor runs (in my case) at 1,2V. So the resistor must take 18,8V.
The engine amperage is 100mA.

So the resistor-power must be 18,8 * 100 = 1880 mW or 1,9W. I use a 5W to make sure it don't warm up to much.

#52 11 years ago

5W is indeed a little overkill. The flash circuit is 20V. The motor runs (in my case) at 1,2V. So the resistor must take 18,8V.

So the resistor-power must be 18,8 * 100 = 1880 mW or 1,9W. I use a 5W to make sure it don't warm up to much.

#53 11 years ago

Better safe than sorry. I was wondering how I would mount that resistor to avoid heat and anything else around it. Does the 5w one heat up much?

1 month later
#54 10 years ago

Any results to show?????

#55 10 years ago

Hmm, wonder if this could be adapted to a Congo?
Doc

#56 10 years ago

Damn!!

Where was this when I still owned an IJ???

Thanks for sharing!

Pin - K

#57 10 years ago

I did add this mod to my IJ, and it's a winner. (I did ruin the first motor and had to replace it. Those wires are fragile!) I had trouble getting the motor lined up using the wire guide shown in the photo above, so I created a wire U bracket instead that fastened under a nut with the top of the U at the front of the plane. The motor sits/cradles perfectly in it. It is held in place with a wire tie, but the magnets themselves do a good job of keeping it there. I did have to use a longer bolt to make this work.

I apologize for not thinking to take a picture at the time. The back lock nut holding the plane in place is really tough to reseat (there's hardly any thread to catch), so I am not wild about detaching the plane again. I hope what I've written here makes sense.

#58 10 years ago

Craig, maybe you could dazzle us with your MS Paint skillz and show us what you mean??

#59 10 years ago

Okay, but only because you asked for it. I am terrible at drawing.

The U-bracket is made from a small piece of coat hanger wire. To make this work, you will need a longer bolt but still one short enough not to stick out from under the bottom of the plane. The bolt goes in, then the bracket holding the plane in place, then a lock nut to hold that down. On top of that I put a washer, then the U-shaped wire, then another washer and lock nut. The motor then is cradled in the U. It stays in place pretty well with just the motor's own magnets, but I also added a plastic strap. That's all there is to it.

IJ_prop.jpgIJ_prop.jpg

One inaccuracy in this drawing, now that I look at it, is that the U goes all the way to the front of the plane. There is no significant gap, unlike the above picture. Also, all of this is a lot more crammed than appears in the drawing. There is almost no space between the sides of the plane and the U-bracket.

10 months later
#60 10 years ago

So I finally got around to doing this this weekend.... not as easy as I had hoped. Those little wires out of the motor were not as easy to hook up to the extensions I would have hoped for.

I had to bend the front part of the bracket to fit the motor square on for the prop (I could not stand to not have that point out perfectly straight). Wire harness and connector to under the PF, and from there screwed the 180 resistor into the PF away from everything so it would cool nicely, and tied it into the dogfight flasher, as I thought this was fitting for the plane. It doesn't go off as much as tying it into a ramp flasher, not sure if I'll change that, easy to do at this point.

This all took me a solid 5 hours. Oh well, it's done now, and looks cool. I could have strangled a kitten about half way through though...

#61 10 years ago

I'm going to try this. Got any pics? Ed

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

I'm going to try this. Got any pics? Ed

Mine looks close to the first post, used a old coat hanger as the metal for the piece to tie the motor too. The real pain in the ass was connecting longer wires onto those very small ones. I tried soldering them together, and then was goign to heat shrink them, but the little wire wasn't taking. I had to use a crimp style connector, then shrink wrap. The wire harness from there was tied to the rear support, unlike the op's which was in the front, and across the jackpot plastic. I didn't want to see it, but couldn't run it under anywyere until behind the lock scoop, so I ran it along the rear of this plastic, and it hardly can be seen.

The harness runs just under the PF, and from there is a connector, so that the plane and harness can be removed easily if needed.

Wait until you see my indy and snake mod! I've got the Halmark Indy up, but searched forever for a cobra that will work, placement is great. I'll post on that later when the snale arrives.

4 months later
#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Wait until you see my indy and snake mod! I've got the Halmark Indy up, but searched forever for a cobra that will work, placement is great. I'll post on that later when the snale arrives.

Will be getting my IJ this weekend. Look forward to your photos It's been 4 months lol

In my case I want the blades slowly turning the entire time the machine is on. I am thinking of using a motor speed control board. It will have it's own power supply and will just turn on when the machine turns on. Nothing will be wired to the machine. As well, this will be mounted near the coin door so I can adjust the speed or turn it off.

Not the board I am using, just exampleNot the board I am using, just example

#64 9 years ago

I've been looking for the same thing for the consistently run if yours works out can you hook me up with the info or sell me one?? Thank you and good luck

#65 9 years ago

EBay doesn't have the motor and prop anymore does anybody know where to get one??

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Ijpinball:

I've been looking for the same thing for the consistently run if yours works out can you hook me up with the info or sell me one?? Thank you and good luck

Sure thing. I plan on making a little panel that can be mounted near the coin door. Will be a bit till I make it, since my IJ is sitting in my friends garage. But will have it end of the week. It is my first mod on my list. As well, waiting on the parts.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Ijpinball:

EBay doesn't have the motor and prop anymore does anybody know where to get one??

E-bay has thousands of them. Just search for it.

ebay.com link: 7mm x 16mm Magnetic Micro Coreless Motor Propeller DC 3 7V 48000RPM

#68 9 years ago

There is even one seller, offering two of those motors with props for less money.

You may be able to vary the rotation speed, by adding different resistors to the positive wire.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Sure thing. I plan on making a little panel that can be mounted near the coin door. Will be a bit till I make it, since my IJ is sitting in my friends garage. But will have it end of the week. It is my first mod on my list. As well, waiting on the parts.

Thanks let me know

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

You may be able to vary the rotation speed, by adding different resistors to the positive wire.

The advantage of the board is you can regulate the speed as well turn it on or off.

#71 9 years ago

In my case I want the blades slowly turning the entire time the machine is on. I am thinking of using a motor speed control board. It will have it's own power supply and will just turn on when the machine turns on. Nothing will be wired to the machine. As well, this will be mounted near the coin door so I can adjust the speed or turn it off.

I'd be interested in that.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'd be interested in that.

Ditto.

#73 9 years ago

The advantage of the board is you can regulate the speed as well turn it on or off.

I can see where that would be an advantage, if you didn't want to experiment with adding resistors.

If I mod mine, I'll just tap into the associated flasher power, so that it only runs during modes.

#74 9 years ago

Ok, so the board works. BUT, since this motor is something like 38,000 RPMS, when I gear it down really low the motor makes an annoying buzzing noise. So I just hooked it up to the flasher. I guess I like this better. It is more interactive.

However, the mod was very very easy to do. I used a few beads of hot glue to secure the motor. Painted the propeller to match the wood in the film with a metal center. Works great for a $2-$5 mod You can pick up a 2 pack motor on ebay for $4.50

ebay.com link: Aircraft Coreless Motor 7 16 mm helicopter Small glider Motor propeller

#75 9 years ago

Ok, so the board works. BUT, since this motor is something like 38,000 RPMS, when I gear it down really low the motor makes an annoying buzzing noise. So I just hooked it up to the flasher. I guess I like this better. It is more interactive.
However, the mod was very very easy to do. I used a few beads of hot glue to secure the motor. Painted the propeller to match the wood in the film with a metal center. Works great for a $2-$5 mod You can pick up a 2 pack motor on ebay for $4.50
ebay.com link » Aircraft Coreless Motor 7 16 Mm Helicopter Small Glider Motor Propeller

Thanks I ordered them is this a direct wire or do we need
a resistor and if it does where those the resistor go and what kind of resistor?
First time building a mod so I need a little help thanks

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from theove:

Need a little help seems like you know your numbers
I purchased a 3.7 v~4.2v
Load current 100ma
With pulp current 1.6 A
No load speed 47,000 R/min
Need to know exactly where to put the wires and resistors thank you

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from theove:

That resistor will work fine. I wanted my propeller to rotate slowly so you can see it well turning.
Buy for the few dollar also 150 Ohm, the prop will rotate faster if you like that more and 220 Ohm, the prop will rotate more slower. You can try what you like best.
In the pictures you can see where the connector is and how I connected it (only last picture). I hope its clear enough.

ij_connector2.JPG 73 KB

ij_connector.JPG 58 KB

ij_connector3.JPG 18 KB

He commented on the location in a previous post.

Quoted from Ijpinball:

Thanks I ordered them is this a direct wire or do we need
a resistor and if it does where those the resistor go and what kind of resistor?
First time building a mod so I need a little help thanks

You can use any 100 to 200+ ohm resister. 5w to 1/8w will work. You can pick up a 5w 100-200+ ohm resistor from radioshack. When wired to the flasher the motor is only on for a few seconds and slows down. You just need to slow it down to a reasonable speed so your plane doesn't fly away.

As well, to make this project even easier. As in start to finish in about 5 mins. Just use hotglue to mount the motor. If you ever want to remove the motor the hotglue can be simply pealed off. The advantage is the hotglue keeps the motor from vibrating. A lot easier than making a bracket.

3 years later
#78 6 years ago

I followed this guide and the results were better than expected! I kept the resisitor inside the plane and added double sided tape to secure each leg to prevent it from touching the plane in case it gets hot. I hot-glued the motor instead of making a bracket for it. Came out great

FD9EE560-8D4A-4DA6-BF6C-106AD48E48BB (resized).pngFD9EE560-8D4A-4DA6-BF6C-106AD48E48BB (resized).png
41256539-1495-44BF-A51D-2A3A97F8E605 (resized).png41256539-1495-44BF-A51D-2A3A97F8E605 (resized).png
5200B967-A374-4E6E-9514-5A773015CBCE (resized).jpeg5200B967-A374-4E6E-9514-5A773015CBCE (resized).jpeg

5 months later
#79 5 years ago

Nice to see the mod is still used and even improved. Thanks for sharing the improvements!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

14,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 85.00
12,500 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-biplane-propeller-mod-low-budget/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.