Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by KornFreak28
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20180811_175329 (resized).jpg
d481a6d49862646a9bfe8f976e68b98127eb5b12 (resized).jpg
b0b3d7ab7f6ebc87255f6d7b5ea2dbb9f2d620c2 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Hey guys,
The INDY lamps at the top of the playfield have gone dim (or barely flashing all at the same time very dimly) suddenly so you cant tell which lanes have been triggered already to get the X bonus.

I've checked the socket and the plug connected to the lamp circuit board and it seems to be secure. I guess the fact that the lamps are still getting power indicates that there is an issue somewhere further down the circuit.

Any ideas where I can look?

ps... take a look at the pics of the playfield mods I have added to my machine. The crystal skull was about $20 and the tank was about $30, found them both on eBay. The Ark I found for about $20 on Amazon. They add a nice touch to the Indy Adventure theme don't you think!?

b0b3d7ab7f6ebc87255f6d7b5ea2dbb9f2d620c2 (resized).jpgd481a6d49862646a9bfe8f976e68b98127eb5b12 (resized).jpg
#2 3 months ago
Quoted from Radact:

Any ideas where I can look?

Are they the black plastic sockets that twist into a circuit board ?

If so, remove the light board. Reflow the solder on the pins the connector plugs onto. Reassemble. Live happily ever after.

LTG : )

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Are they the black plastic sockets that twist into a circuit board ?
If so, remove the light board. Reflow the solder on the pins the connector plugs onto. Reassemble. Live happily ever after.

Agreed. I would add reflowing the solder pads on the circuit board as well. Try to get rid of all those dark divots that get revealed when you remove the socket.

#4 3 months ago

Thanks for the tip guys, but unfortunately it hasn't made any difference.
I reflowed all the solder pads I could see, including the oval-ish tracks where the LEDS screw into, pads for the diodes, and the pads for the connector.
As I said, they all light up, but are much dimmer than normal.

Any other ideas?

IMG_20180811_175329 (resized).jpg
#5 3 months ago
Quoted from Radact:

Any other ideas?

They have one common wire. Check continuity of it from light board to board in the head, and be sure you have a solid connection to the board in the head. Then measure power leaving the board on that pin in the head.

#6 3 months ago

Had another thought. Measure power to the board. If it's good, then suspect your small twist in sockets. The part in there that grabs the wires on the base of the bulb might be loose or corroded.

#7 3 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Had another thought. Measure power to the board. If it's good, then suspect your small twist in sockets. The part in there that grabs the wires on the base of the bulb might be loose or corroded.

You mean the contacts of the LED inside the black plastic holder that twists onto the lightboard?

#8 3 months ago
Quoted from Radact:

You mean the contacts of the LED inside the black plastic holder that twists onto the lightboard?

Either the LED contacts, or the metal things in the socket that should grip it tight.

#9 3 months ago

Ugh, LEDs. Put incandescents back in and see if they are dim too.

#10 3 months ago

I swapped them out for the old incandescent lamps, they don't light up at all. Looks like they're not getting enough power.

The LEDS are about 20% intensity.

#11 3 months ago

Swap a lamp holder and lamp from an area where the lights are bright and see if the problem follows the twisty socket or stays at the Indy lanes.

#12 3 months ago
Quoted from Radact:

Looks like they're not getting enough power.

Put a meter on the connector and see what is going on. No sense chasing back and forth until you isolate the exact point where you lose power. Leaving driver board, at connector of light pcb, at socket, at bulb.

#13 3 months ago

Ok, here's an interesting development. Last night, it started working properly out of the blue, I didn't do anything. Full intensity! This morning I thought I'd check it out again, back to being dim again.

I did notice one other issue while this was going on. The 2x multiplier lamp near the flippers also went out when the INDY LEDS went dim. When the INDY LEDS were at full intensity, the 2x lamp worked again.

The two issues seem to be related or linked somehow. I swapped out the lamp for the 2x light with several others I have as spare but it make any difference.

#14 3 months ago

If those lamps have a wire color common to all of them, you have a weak connection or solder joint somewhere along the line. There, or at other lamps of the same color.

#15 3 months ago

No luck unfortunately...
I removed the board with the 2x, Willie and Shorty globes and did the same thing to that, reflowed all the solder joints and checked the wiring to that. No change.

Is the driver board located behind the backboard? I cant see anything else unusual under the playfield. I'm abit of a noob with this stuff, so please bear with me! Its my first machine.

#16 3 months ago

Did you install non-ghosting LEDs into the insert/controlled lamps? Sounds like you are describing ghosting, partially lit LED when it should not be. If you go into the single lamp test, only one insert lamp should light up when you advance through each insert. If you have other partially on lamps, that definitely is ghosting.

#17 3 months ago

I bought the machine 8 months ago, it's been working fine all this time. I haven't changed any LEDS since then. I couldn't tell you if they are "non-ghosting" LEDS.

#18 3 months ago

Following

#19 3 months ago
Quoted from Radact:

Is the driver board located behind the backboard?

Yes. At this point I'd grab a meter and check from the driver board to the connector on the pcb the sockets are snapped into. Try and figure along the way where you are losing power.

#20 3 months ago

So it looks like I might have found the problem.

Upon getting the translight on the backboard off, I removed and reconnected each of the connectors going to the playfield, giving the socket and pins abit of a scrub. Down in the bottom right hand side, one of those connectors seems to control those lane lights, so giving them abit of a clean seems to have fixed it.

I tested the machine for a while, cracking the 1 Billion points mark again.

I really appreciate your ideas and help guys.

#21 3 months ago

Great work! Now it’s time to remove that crystal skull; it’s got no place in that machine

#22 3 months ago

HAHA, I like that skull!

#23 3 months ago
Quoted from Radact:

HAHA, I like that skull!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Toppers
liorillusion
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 105.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Mateo, CA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 9.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside