(Topic ID: 52945)

Independence Day or Maverick? Which to choose?

By madsci

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Gov
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm trying to choose between an ID4 pin and a Maverick. I haven't had the chance to play either, but I really like both movies (don't judge me!). I'd like to know if anyone has played either or both, and which you'd choose. I'm on the fence about them, but definitely gonna go one way or the other.

Both are 1500, recently shopped and in very good condition. Maverick has a bunch of LEDs, ID4 has a few.

From what I'd read, issues with Maverick is that it doesn't have a lot a shots, mostly just drop targets. Plus, if the big DMD goes, it's super expensive to replace. Issues with ID4 is that the rules aren't deep, parts are very hard to find, and the game basically just revolves around the one center shot. Apparently, if the alien head breaks, you're SOL.

I'm a huge fan of Sci-fi, and a huge fan of poker. I have a Stargate, so I'm not hellbent on it for the scifi. I'm still torn tho.

Let me know what you guys think!

#2 10 years ago

I've owned both and to me it's Maverick by a mile. Big fan of the movie and I love poker, plus the drop target gameplay format is so unique that it held my attention for nearly 3 years (maybe the longest I've ever kept a pin).

I really liked the movie too, but ID4 is an awful game. I mean...it's a pin so it's got that going for it. And I did enjoy it for the first couple of weeks. But it's solidly the 2nd worst pin I have owned (GI holds the bottom slot).

I think $1500 is high for either title though.

#3 10 years ago

Maverick is a very good game, almost laughed at by many, but I loved mine, and I'm thinking of trying to buy it back from the person I sold it to. The hardest game to start a mode on, and one of the hardest of the era to get to the final. I love the music and the call outs, I love picking off drops for completing hands, I love the blackjack video mode, it's a great game. Interesting way of adding a ball to the MB (as many DE games had).

The rear opto in the VUK is problematic, but do not go the reed switch method, it doesn't work as well as the rgp history on the matter would indicate. Just completely replace both optos and relow the headers. You'll know what I mean if you buy this machine and half to deal with it.

LED'd it really pops too.

#4 10 years ago

I think Maverick has more to keep you interested...

#5 10 years ago

What should I be paying for a Maverick? It's in good condition, clean, with new rubbers and LEDs.

#6 10 years ago

Maverick!

Seriously though, Maverick.

#7 10 years ago

ID4 for me

#8 10 years ago

I think I'm leaning towards Mav, considering the feedback I've gotten here and elsewhere. What should I be paying for one?

#9 10 years ago

I don't know that the market for a Maverick over $1200 is really big...last I knew they were a slow sell much above $1k, but maybe that's changed?

I think the possibility of a $450 repair (replacing that large DMD) keeps the value of these low. So I guess if that's been done recently that would be a reason to overpay a bit...

#10 10 years ago

I would play $1k for a Maverick in a heartbeat

#11 10 years ago

I sold my Maverick a couple months ago and had it on craigslist for 1 day and had 2 offers at $1250 right away. It was a fun game and my dad really enjoyed it the most but I had to make room for XMEN.

#12 10 years ago

I owned Id4 for a while. Its an underrated title in my opinion. Its fast and has some cool ramps. I have played Maverick but not enough to give a good opinion, I remember liking it though. Any chance you could play them both before you choose? That's my advice if possible.

#13 10 years ago

Never really taken to Maverick, so it might have hidden depths. However, I LOVE ID4!!!

Totally under-rated game. Picked one up 6 months ago and it's far better than a lot of my other pins. Maybe not the deepest of rules but fantastic flow.

#14 10 years ago

ID4

You will be hard pressed to find another.

Maverick is a fun game but you see them around all the time. ID4 you don't.

#15 10 years ago

From the sound of it you are considering buying my old ID4.
It's a great game and I never had any issues at all. I'd still have it if I didn't trade it for a pin I'd been wanting since I was a kid!

#16 10 years ago

problem I have with ID4 right now, is that it apparently has virtually no depth, and if the alien head breaks it's near impossible to find a replacement. Both games have shitty replacement part issues. Mav has the insanely pricey DMD, ID4 has impossible to find parts. Who knows, I might just decide to wait and see what other machines are out there.

#17 10 years ago

Neither. Seriously, both horrible games. Just horrible.... $1,500? Buy anything else.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from madsci:

Both games have shitty replacement part issues.

For mav this is only the DMD, which I have leard is on the list for a LED replacement soon. Even the ramp can be bought new NOS for around $60-$70.

Quoted from jalpert:

Neither. Seriously, both horrible games. Just horrible.... $1,500? Buy anything else.

Simply not true, and I'm guessing you have not played Mav a lot. Mav is a very good game when you get to know the rules. To start a mode alone you have to win two random hands, which involves knocking down the targets in the hand, without hitting a certain number of cards not in the hand, with other ways to award a card, or discard. During this you can raise, or fold the hand, depending on how you are doing, and after you do this, twice, you start a mode. There is no machine that has a deeper strategy to starting a mode alone than Maverick.

It is a very underrated machine, a phrase used all too much, but it is true with this machine.

#19 10 years ago

I'm also entertaining a Laser War. I'm basically looking for a game that's fun to play, and a bit "cheesy". I love stuff like RollerGames, Strange Science, Genesis, and the like. For me, it's mainly about the gameplay, unless I really hate the theme.

#20 10 years ago

Completely disagree. I've played it plenty and it's a horrible game. You like it and I can appreciate that, but are you going to maintain that he should spend $1,500 on it? For $1,500 there are tons of better games out there, even if you care for Maverick.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Simply not true, and I'm guessing you have not played Mav a lot. Mav is a very good game when you get to know the rules.

#21 10 years ago

Never played ID, but I had some time on Maverick and thought it was a pretty good pin. Underrated (IMHO).

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Completely disagree. I've played it plenty and it's a horrible game. You like it and I can appreciate that, but are you going to maintain that he should spend $1,500 on it? For $1,500 there are tons of better games out there, even if you care for Maverick.

Fair enough, we all like what we like. I don't know what else in that range is left other than sys11's. Yeah, there are deals, but the going rates of every WPC is above that now (well above where I am), and even my mav sold for well above the $1,500 mark (I did a number on it though, so it should be at the high range), and I'm ready to return the cash to get it back. Maybe some other underrated DE machines, but everything is so expensive.

As for the Laser Wars, it's ok, but Maverick has more to keep you interested, out of what you noted. It's a machine that doesn't get annoying either, which in a small collection is important. I heard Id4 can get like that, but I have never played it, so I can't say.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

ID4
You will be hard pressed to find another.
Maverick is a fun game but you see them around all the time. ID4 you don't.

I agree with this statement.

#24 10 years ago

I just bought a JD a month or so ago for $1,350. I was offered a fixer upper Demo Man a couple weeks ago for $1,500. The deals are out there, like always though, the harder you look the more expensive the game is.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Yeah, there are deals, but the going rates of every WPC is above that now (well above where I am), and even my mav sold for well above the $1,500 mark (I did a number on it though, so it should be at the high range), and I'm ready to return the cash to get it back. Maybe some other underrated DE machines, but everything is so expensive.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

For poker themed...save an extra $500 and get WPT. Waaaaaay better than Maverick.

#26 10 years ago

Laser War is another underrated game IMO but it can get old after a while. I shopped one out for a friend and had it in my house for about a month. I really enjoyed it while it was here but I had had my fill of it by the time it left. It has a spectacular light show though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Midlothian, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/independence-day-or-maverick-which-to-choose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.