image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheRingMaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

ID4.jpgID4.jpg
This wont be as comprehensive as my BOP restoration thread but im not sure anyone has posted an ID4 restoration before so I thought I could share my progress even though I did not plan to when I started. I decided to try to restore this one but maybe not be as anal as Ive been with the BOP resto. Still its a major task doing stuff like this. Before we start I should also say that I started this 4 months ago so this will be only the best parts documented and not every single screw.

ID4 is a game that is not really saught after as far as I know, it has a pretty shallow rule set and from what ive heard its a lot of multiball and thats it. But who doesnt like multiball?

Allright, Here we go!

Note: I also started an Independence Day Club thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/independence-day-id4-club-owners-and-fans#post-2986230

#2 8 years ago

Some before pictures:

The display had the two top rows out:
display.jpgdisplay.jpg

The circuit boards all looked very nice:
boards.jpgboards.jpg

The cabinet had seen better days but nothing horrible:
front.jpgfront.jpg

#3 8 years ago

The Playfield, a lot of dirt, worn rubbers, blown bulbs and the usual stuff:
pf.jpgpf.jpg

#5 8 years ago

I always start out with testing the game after ive checked it roughly for evident faults like stuck coils, burned wires, nails instead of fuses and so on.

I found the following faults on this machine:

- The VUK (Vertical Up Kicker) seems weak, it tries to kick up the ball (this is after youve shot the ball into the virus hole on the right side) but it does not come all the way up. Instead it repeats firing like 3-4 times before the ball finally arrives back at the playfield. Maybe this is because of dirty coil mecks/sleeves. It could be something else too, like the coil was getting over heated in the past and is too tight for the plunger to move freely.

- The display had the two topmost rows out, could be faulty connectors or cables.

- When multiball starts the game fails to feed more balls and seem a bit confused at times too.

Other than that some wires looked bad, squeezed etc so those need to be fixed aswell.

Not much to fix here except cleaning and tuning stuff up.

#6 8 years ago

Heres a picture of the wire guide under which the VUK assembly is located:
vholevuk.jpgvholevuk.jpg

The display:
352410-i.jpg352410-i.jpg

I desperately tried to fix the display by trying various methods but eventually failed.
Only got this far:
356558-i.jpg356558-i.jpg
Note: The vertical line is from the systems internal DMD test and was not something i screwed up. It was enough with what else I screwed

Its super tricky to fix these displays because there are no real wires or solder joints to fix by conventional methods. Instead there is a flex cable (wide plastic sheet with some conductive graphite "paint" on it). These can be ordered new and then glued in place by using a soldering iron T-tip but I felt it was to much effort at the time. The whole DMD repair efforts can be read about in a separate thread i made:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-dmd-with-rows-out-need-tips

#7 8 years ago

This is my first game that I restore that have optos in it (my second in total restoration) so I was not really familiar with them. However, looking under the PF I found something seemed to be missing at the ball through assembly.

Consulting the manual helped me conclude the ball through opto board set was missing the reciever side. No wonder the game was confused with the balls during multiball!

opto.jpgopto.jpg

optomanual.jpgoptomanual.jpg

Ordered a set of new ones and mounted them but it still did not work. I was however unable to test it fully since I hade torn apart quite a lot of the PF stuff. So, in switch test this opto did not work (among other things). At first I was thinking something else had happened but then I realized the matrix must have been broken somewhere before the opto when I desoldered something. This, remains to be solved when I get that far in reassembling the game again.

It was a pain finding the correct screws, spacers and rubber grommets for mounting the board too. But finally I got everything.

#8 8 years ago

So the teardown commenced starting with the bottom parts of the PF. All parts are photographed and put in marked ziplock bags for future reference. A standard procedure that I think many people use when restoring their games.

A lot of dirt everywhere, except maybe under the apron where the PF looks kinda good.
tear.jpgtear.jpg

id4dirt.jpgid4dirt.jpg
Note the bare wood on the PF in the bumper area... not so nice!

#9 8 years ago

Here are some bad areas, Dont know if its the original washers holding the space ship. Looks like a home made solution to me but not sure.

At the Alien head assembly the wires had been sqeezed and needs to be resoldered and shrink tubed. Might be possible to route them another way to prevent it from happening again in the future.
ship-washer.jpgship-washer.jpg

#10 8 years ago

The Alien head on ID4 has to be called infamous.. On most pictures on the net that ive seen these have at least one of the ears broken off, probably from air balls. If youre unfamiliar with ID4 the toy works pretty much like the saucer in AFM, you shoot it once, it opens and you can lock balls. Next time you need to shoot it more than once to open it and so on to start multiball.

When I started the restoration replacement heads were not to be found anywhere but a guy here on pinside cast his own and sold them (Dont remember the name but do a search and youll find him and the thread). The price was a bit expensive for me but the prices were allright when you think about the efforts he made so no problem.

A while later the Alien head halves surfaced in marco specialties web shop and I think even at pinballcenter. If im not mistaken it was the same guy making them but now he'd struck a deal with these web shops. Pretty nice! However they sold out pretty fast and I felt the price was too high this time too. Not worth it for the small alien head.

I am a guy who very much likes to tinker and hack things up in general so my plan is to cast my own alien head and paint it. Have not really got to it yet but I am looking forward to it!

infamous-head.jpginfamous-head.jpg

Speaking of the alien head, gotta love fixes like this one on one of the opto boards that sits in front of the head registering ball hits:
optohack.jpgoptohack.jpg

A new one needs to be purchased (or maybe ill etch my own board just to try that too )

#12 8 years ago

Thanks! =) Maybe its useful for someone. Not a really common game to restore.

#14 8 years ago

When most of the PF stuff had been removed it was time for the cabinet to experience some cleaning:

id4cab.jpgid4cab.jpg

box.jpgbox.jpg

box2.jpgbox2.jpg

Meanwhile, most parts went down the tumbler:

tumble.jpgtumble.jpg

#15 8 years ago

... And into the ultra sonic cleaner:
ul.jpgul.jpg

My first time using an Ultra sonic for pinball restoration. I must say I am amazed by the good results!

#16 8 years ago

Before I took off the backbox and removed the PF I had to take this picture:
odd.jpgodd.jpg

Feels kinda strange with everything removed but inserts flashing in attract mode =)

#19 8 years ago

ngoett, looks nice! =) New coindoor and all if my eyes dont betray me..

ledge, theres a thread here on pinside about those or similar canisters. Think they can be found on ebay. Not a pinball related product but rather some old independence day merch. I might install a similar thing on my game with a LED that lights up together with the inserts below it or something. A color changer in it would be cool.

#20 8 years ago

I did not plan to get new cabinet decals for the game since I want to keep the costs as low as possible. Besides, adding them later wont be too difficult anyway id I change my mind. What I did was to spray paint the worst areas black and I did a thin overlap around the edges of the top box, like 7mm or something. Looks allright to me. (In the picture the top right corner has not been painted yet)

The underside of the box was sanded and clear coated with standard furniture clear. Will make it a lot easier to clean in the future as opposed to the original and un cleared wood.
underbox.jpgunderbox.jpg

#21 8 years ago

On my bride of pinbot I was going hardcore on the restoration so there I repainted everything and bought new decals. I even made my own screen print of the backbox warning text and the result came out really good. Here, I just left the backside as it is. Maybe some day I will make a screen for this backbox text too but right now, too much work =)

Inside the cabinet there was a lot of dirt too. And I noticed the front was a bit loose. So, I removed the old corner pieces and reglued everything with wood glue. Put in some new corner triangles and secured the whole thing with an air driven nail gun. If you try it be extremely careful since those things are pretty dangerous! Also, make sure to use nails that are the right length so they wont penetrate the cabinet and come out on the outside.
corners.jpgcorners.jpg

#22 8 years ago

The rest of the cabinet was stripped from anything thats not wood and the marks on the sides, from raising the Playfield, was repaired using wood putty and then sanded down. The transformer is still in there since its something I dont enjoy tuning up. Hence I just ignored it so far..
cabwork.jpgcabwork.jpg

#28 8 years ago

Looking really nice! Not a fan of making holes in the plastic but well.. =)

#29 8 years ago

When everything was taken out I sanded the bottom like crazy to get rid of all the old dirt. Then I masked it with some paper and painters tape and sprayed away with a black paint that will match the original color fairly well. I used a standard spray can for this and if you buy a decent brand you will get away with it.

spray.jpgspray.jpg

I added about two to three layers of paint and while they were drying I cleaned the wire harnesses in the bath tub. Used a kitchen cleaning spray and scrubbed the wires with a brush. Rinsed with water and blew out the connectors carefully with an air compressor. Then I hanged them to dry close to a heat source like a radiator in the house.

harness.jpgharness.jpg

#30 8 years ago

When this tedious process was done it was time to start installing new ground braid in the cabinet. Thats always nice but also a bit boring after a while =) First though I also cleared the bottom with the same furniture clear I used on the underside of the backbox.

braid.jpgbraid.jpg

After some more hours it was starting to look like a pinball cabinet again. Note the new style leg brackets in the corners:

partscab.jpgpartscab.jpg

#31 8 years ago

The "line filter box" was cleaned up and I made myself a couple of new stickers for it. Came out good. I stuck with the country "SWISS" on the sticker even though I live in Sweden, just because it was like that originally. Ive seen games sold in Sweden too and they have the word "SWEDEN" on them so I couldve changed it but decided to keep the games history a bit.

stickers.jpgstickers.jpg

#32 8 years ago

Soldering the new ground strap. As you can see I like to have things organized and working on a clean work bench...
solder.jpgsolder.jpg

#33 8 years ago

Next the backbox metal plate was sanded down and sprayed with a grey spray paint that cunducts electricity for the grounding. Always buzz stuff like this out with my DMM to make sure it conducts.

plate.jpgplate.jpg

#34 8 years ago

The old plastic for the display looked like someone tried to wipe it off with sanding paper... went to the local sign shop and got me a new piece that I cut for a neat fit on the backside of the speaker panel. Attached the plastic with some double sided foam tape.

I also bought an xpin LED DMD for the game and with it the display worked again. I went for the amber colored display. Its more reddish, slightly, than the original. If I remember correctly this amber one looks like the old plasma did back when it was new. The orange color we are used to nowadays is a bit faded but if you want to match the other games in your lineup you can then get the orange LED instead. I was also considering the red version to make it look more modern (think Stern) but finally settled for the Amber one. I bough the high voltage version. Will post more pics of it in action later on.

glassd.jpgglassd.jpg

#35 8 years ago

Some more cabinet reassembly pics.. note the new lockdown bar reciever:
morecab.jpgmorecab.jpg

#36 8 years ago

Here is what the cabinet looks like so far. Did some touchups of the black color on the front, added a new coin door (The old one had been kicked in, which seem to be really common sadly) and a new ball launch button. The launch button is not super true to the original since its made for bally/williams games but I felt that was a minor issue. Its still the exact same in dimensions etc.

Still has not got any new legs but I will get some later on. The game came with four black legs but the feet were rusted and I was unable to remove all of them even though i tried anti rust solution and violence. After I had wasted like 1 hour on the feet I discovered three of the legs were of a different kind. So 3 out of 4 legs were of separate models!
getmeacab.jpggetmeacab.jpg

#38 8 years ago

I was planning to get the black standard stern legs. What are the differences? The manual says it should be like 30 1/4" but the sterns are 30 1/2" if I remember correctly. Will check pinballife. Would be nice to stay original. Not so experienced in sega stuff. Felt protectors would work fine, if I had new decals on it I would go for plastic or metal ones though. Feels it will bend a bit with the soft felt but again no experience =)
Thanks for liking the project, it's fun to share and maybe it will spark som inspiration for someone.

#40 8 years ago

I see, stern bought the rights from sega right? So that's as close to original as you'll get. It will look great!
Speaking of original, I bought the stern black side rails with the flipper button protection extension. The original ones don't have it but since the cabinet is worn around the flippers it will cover that area and look nice. Still keep the originals for future needs though and will have them sand blastered and coated some day. I'm also keeping the lockdown bar recievers, coin doors etc for future tune up.

#42 8 years ago

Yes painting is absolutely an option. And indeed spraying should do it. Maybe air brush.

Here is what it looks like now with the rails loosely mounted for testing. All screws are not in place yet..
srails.jpgsrails.jpg

#44 8 years ago

When I got the game the old mains plug was damaged and I once nudged it and the game reset. Very bad. Replaced it with a new one. I choose a cable about 4m long (about one of them is wasted inside the cabinet..) and rated for 10A. I think a standard pinball game draws somwhere between 4-8 amps so this one will work fine. Also made sure its a cable with ground/earth in it, otherwise things can get scary in my opinion.

mains.jpgmains.jpg

So, during the reassembly I found a few wires and connectors that were unknown to me. After some research in the manual and the schematics I figured them out. If I confused something please chime in for future reference.

I found connectors for optional gadgets like a printer unit to print audits, a stand alone coin meter, a bill validator should you not want to use coins (!) and then two wires that had been cut and looked like wires for a coil.

unknownwires.jpgunknownwires.jpg

Long story short, some Sega games, like a frankenstein Ive seen, have an old school knocker placed in the cabinet on the left. Exactly where these wires are on my game. Looking in the schematic it indeed was connected to the knocker circuit. However there were no evidence of screws or anything so i doubt theres ever been one there. ID4 uses the digital knocker sound (which I dont really like btw) so a real knocker wouldve been unnecessary. Looking a bit more in the manual it says that its for an optional coil for a "Euro Token Dispenser". Now, I have no idea what that is really but I have a theory.

It goes like this: It was possible to add a token dispenser to the game. And when you got a replay and heard the knock the dispenser was connected to the knocker circuit and spit out a token for you. Then you could use that token in the game again for a free play instead of using quarters. But that would be pretty redundant (or what its called). The neat thing, and the only plausible explanation I can think of is that the token could be used in any game in, lets say, an arcade hall. That way if you did good on one game you could use the replay credit on another game of choice. Smart.

Not sure if this was how it worked and also I dont understand why its called a EURO(PEAN) token dispenser... Illegal in the US cause it was possible to arrange so it could be traded for cash?

Lastly I wonder why the connector for the printer sub assembly is cut.. maybe, if you hook one up a fuse or something blows.. dont have one to test it with but I will measure the voltage on it later and see if its there. For the sake of it I might repair the connector.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

yeah nice. your work is great, kudos my friend.
personally, im not a fan of these particular side rails.... not sure why, the look?.... maybe because they arent stock. ive seen them also on TSPP and i havent liked them on there... unless they are the cool nuclear ones...
but this pin is taking shape beautifully... nice work!

Yeah its pretty bulky, especially in that pic where the side rail looks really fat. I will decide later on. I think, if I replace the cabinet side art sometime might have had the time to repaint the stock side rails and then I can use them. And, extra screw holes can be repaired before that too.

Thanks for the compliments =)

#46 8 years ago

Remember the transformer that I was ignoring... I finally got myself together.

First I unscrewed the brackets for it. They often have some of the varnish on them. To get rid of it I put them in a bath of label off, which is a solvent for removing glue from old stickers (ive tried pain thinner and all kinds of stuff without success earlier). Not sure what similar products exists in the US but anyway. Put them in the tumbler after that together with the nuts and bolts. Its great this game is fairly new since the manufacturer had started to use shorter screws in the bottom holes. This way its easier, or even possible, to put it back into the cabinet after mounting the brackets.

After that I carefully cleaned the wires with the kitchen spray I used on the wire harness. If you attempt this at home pay super attention to not getting any water whatsoever down into the windings!
A damp cloth could also do it.

When it was dry again I sealed everything but the block with painters tape and sanded it lightly to get rid of the old rust. After that, a grey spray paint.
Some say you need heat resistant paint but I dont think the transformer will get super hot so the paint I used will hopefully withstand the heat if there is any. After all, its mounted on wood so it cant just be super hot...

The sticker on top was scanned and I am working on a replica to replace it with.
trafoID4.jpgtrafoID4.jpg

#48 8 years ago

yeah, I can always get one later on =)

#50 8 years ago

The worn areas on the playfield had to be adjusted... im no expert in the field so this might not be super nicely done. However, I used some putty, a wood repairing one and filled the worn areas. Sanded before of course but not too fine grit. After that I bought some two part auto clear that came in a spray can that you need to activate to mix the hardener and the coat.

I tried this (first time ever) on the area between the bumpers and in the shooter lane. The lane did come out pretty nice but the area between the bumpers could benefit from some airbrushing or maybe a decal. However, as lazy as i am, I will leave it as is since, again, im no expert in the field of airbrushing. If the area wouldve been more visible i wouldve done it but in this game you hardly even see the bumpers.

woodpf.jpgwoodpf.jpg

Did not plan to make a thread out of this so I have no really good pics of the shooter lane before the sanding and coating but heres the best I have:
oldlane.jpgoldlane.jpg

#51 8 years ago
Quoted from PinBiohazard:

this is the probably gonna be the nicest ID4

Much appreciated!

#52 8 years ago

When that was done it was time for waxing. A much discussed topic here on pinside =)
Some like it, some say its impossible to play with a ball behaving like a bowling ball. Ive never tried it so i figured this would be a nice playfield to try it on.

I cleaned everything carefully with novus 2. First blew all the loose dirt off with the air compressor to reduce anything that could scrape the surface. Novus 2 works good on a playfield that is as dirty as this one but since its a bit abrasive I think its best to use novus 1 for regular maintenance.
On some areas, ball swirls and streaks where the ball rolls often like the tip of the shooter lane, I used magic eraser and some denaturated alcohol. Also did that on areas where the surface was a bit rough. This is another thing you need to be careful when doing cause all of a sudden you end up rubbing throguh the paint.

The wax I was using was One Grand Blitz Wax. Its a good carnauba wax that one of the pinside legends vid1900 recommends.
http://www.amazon.com/One-Grand-Blitz-Carnauba-Wax/dp/B0009KMH20

It contains no nasty stuff like silicone or something (which is super nice on your car but not on your PF). The reason you dont want silicone on the field is because it will repell (is it called that?) paints or clear coat should you need to clear and restore the playfield in the future.

The blitz wax was added with an old tshirt by hand (you could also use an orbital tool for it). One layer that I let sit for 5 days (Edit: It sat for like two hours, then wiped off. Then I waited for 5 days before the second layer) and then I wiped it off and added a second layer. I am pretty amazed by the result considering what it looked like before. Hopefully the game will play as good as it looks!

wax.jpgwax.jpg

#53 8 years ago

Soon ive caught up with where im at right now..

Here a picture of some of the reassembled ball guides:
guides.jpgguides.jpg

And one of the slingshots:
sling.jpgsling.jpg

I will reuse the coils but i wipe them off a bit and replace all sleeves and springs and make sure they are not damaged and sluggy.

In the picture one of the inserts have a white area on it. Thats the original clear coat that has lifted. I will try to fix that by using a syringe with some new clear and inject it under the old clear. A surgery that Im still trying to figure out the better approach for.

#54 8 years ago

Now.. someone make some hole protectors for this game!

#55 8 years ago

The good old Alien head... I am going to fix this bastard.
alien1.jpgalien1.jpg

Ive started to repair the broken "ear" with some putty. It was not possible to sculpt the whole ear in one part since the dough was to weak to stand by itself. So I need to work my way up.
alien3.jpgalien3.jpg

The other half I have reinforced on the back. The plan is to cast this one in resin so this will make it a solid part when its done. Only need to make sure everything fits back together. Will check that before i cast it. I dont know if the reinforcement (to the tip of the ear) will be enough to withstand an attack from a flying air ball but we will see. If I can get my hands on some good casting stuff the head itself will probably hold up.
alien2.jpgalien2.jpg

#57 8 years ago

I doubt there are... but as usual I am thinking of a solution. Must be possible to get a sheet of metal, have it cut at a company and then just bend it to fit. Im thinking of the virus hole on the right and the alien head hole. And maybe the hole for the VUK for the virus hole.

#60 8 years ago

Yeah, part of the days were because I had other things to do but I was told to wait long =)

#61 8 years ago

Read on the wax container, its says to wait 5 days between the coats. Mustve read wrong there and thought i should wait 5 days before wiping it off hehe.. anyway, still looks good so i guess it did not hurt.

#63 8 years ago

Thelastjay, sure I'll let you know! I would need one of them too, think it's the left one. The others are in decent shape. Will show them soon. They even had ramp protectors on them which is really nice! The broken one has been repaired with a lot of glue gun glue and an ugly thick metal piece. Might be possible to at least make it look better. Then we have the plastics... Many broken and quick repaired. I will try to reproduce them and I think it will get pretty good. But doing the artwork is a lot of work. Still worth a try!

#66 8 years ago

Yeah it would be nice with a set of plastics. I don't know if it would sell good though so they can justify it. But this game seem to be one that officially is not talked about much and that is somewhat ignored. Still the ones who have it like it quite much. I will tell you my verdict once Ive played it enough. Only tested my own game when I got it but it was not really a fair example to judge it by =)

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

its the sega mentality. a lot of their machines are actually great fun to play. it just hasnt got the b/w name on it.

That's so true! It's the same over here. Sega mentality or b/w curse =) I will look into the sega titles and see what there is more. Working with the game is no different/harder than others at least and most parts are the same or very similar. The bumpers for example.

#72 8 years ago

I've noticed that now that i am assembling the pf and want to think some more about what LEDs to use... Need to figure out that first. Or take out the sockets and come up with a great idea to put them back again. Can't get a stapler down there unless I get one with a long nose. I would like to invent some other type of socket add on to make it snapp in and out like nothing. Of course you can replace all sockets with Bally Williams ones but don't feel like that especially when I get LEDs that will probably not burn out any time soon.

#74 8 years ago

Allright, the twin smds, are they any different than the 1SMDs considering brightness? I feel the one version is bigger and the 2smd is just made up of two chips to form a light source of similar size. 3SMDs might be brighter.. im very new to the art of ledding (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-for-inserts-vac-or-vdc) so i have not really tested that much. I have put in some insert LEDs in my JB and im fairly happy with it. Still a bit of ghosting since i bought some cheap ones to try but im waiting for some higher quality ones for the GI.

ID4 though Id like to spend some more on, especially when the light sockets are so hard to reach. My dream is to have it looking somewhat like the new startrek from stern. Ill mess around with some teal/turquoise, purple, pink, red and blue and see if I can get it to look any good.

Im seriously considering to pull out all the GI sockets on ID4 and just screw them back with tiny screws through one lug (the one closest to the PF). I discovered the lugs allready have holes/ears in them, to solder the wires onto. So if you solder it tight its possible to use a flat head tiny screw to secure them again. That way its possible, still a bit of a hassle, to replace the GI lights from under the PF. I think its worth it.

#76 8 years ago

Yes I'll post pictures of how I did with the sockets. Two downsides to it and that's 1, you need to put screws in the pf. On the underside but still.. And 2, the wires are really tight so let's say you want to change a bulb in the middle of a chain then you might need to loosen the others or some of them as well.

I've just recently started experiment with LEDs. It's a jungle before you get the feel for it. I get some sample bulbs here and there to test. Tried some turquoise frosted ones for the GI and the colors good but the brightness a bit dull under plastics. Will try some clear wide angles and see if it's better. Still thinking of the color scheme. Settled for blue bumper lights at least.

#77 8 years ago

Here.. a picture of the reassembly =)
reas.jpgreas.jpg

And one from testing the bumper lights:
blubump.jpgblubump.jpg

And lastly some testing of the GI LEDs:
leds.jpgleds.jpg

#78 8 years ago

Now I have a couple of questions for anyone out there sitting on an ID4.

Im having trouble finding out about a post on the plastic left of the alien head. Im not sure if it should be there originally or if its a mod to prevent the ball from getting stuck. Also I wonder how its mounted. What I have now is a long screw that goes about the same length as the post down towards the PF but theres no hole there (thats why I think someone may have put it there). Sadly I did not take any pictures of the underside of the plastic when I teared it down. Lesson learned!

I also wonder about the rubber (the white one in the picture) on top of the plastic. The black rubber is mentioned in the manual but again, i suspect someone added two clear mini star posts and a rubber above the head aswell. What does it look like on your machines?
postrub.jpgpostrub.jpg

The last question is about the backbox hinges and how they are mounted to the cabinet. I know on the inside there is a round black plastic, then there is the wagon bolt of course and a nut. But, should there be any metal tube or something too? There was on one side in my cab but im not sure it really fits...
hinges.jpghinges.jpg

#79 8 years ago

Here is what the assembly that I think is correct looks like..
hinges2.jpghinges2.jpg

#80 8 years ago

About that green post on the plastic.. found my picture =) Its just a fine threaded screw with a bolt under it. No longer than to be able to fit the bolt.

#81 8 years ago

Some more reassembly stuff. The LEDs look really cool. The light from my window is making a white backlight which makes me wonder if I should maybe add some clear whites under the backbox to light it up. Im thinking something like a LED-strip. Will definetily look into that later when all is done.
cleaned.jpgcleaned.jpg

moreassem.jpgmoreassem.jpg

moreleds.jpgmoreleds.jpg

#83 8 years ago

Yes i think its getting along well! I need to get some new flipper kits to bullet proof it. Too bad the game has 3 flippers so I cant get away with just one kit (containing two).

Soldered the bumpers back on today and will finish the underside (repairing broken wires, a few switches, clean the harness as good as I can, clean the inserts and the lamp boards and so on) then I will move the playfield into the cabinet and assemble the rest of it. Feels exciting!

#86 8 years ago

The damaged area between the bumpers has been clear coated which I think will suffice for HUO. Ive scanned the mylar piece that was there before so I might add one later, or something thats easier to remove later on. Same with the half moon shaped mylar pieces in front of the sling shots and the ball drop areas at the inlanes and under one of the ramps.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

i think so. cant see any reference to that white rubber in the manual.

Me neither.. I'll put something that fits in place of it. Looks to fill its purpose.

#88 8 years ago

Just to send a sign of life.. I am working on the underside of the Playfield now. Replacing bad switches, lamp sockets and trying to clean up the wire harness while its still on the underside. Also cleaning all inserts, polishing the switch blades/wires and resoldering assemblies like the bumpers. Soon its time to move the playfield back into the cabinet. Once there I will reassemble the rest of the topside.

I have also replaced all the headers for the connectors on the CPU-board and now I will do the same on the power board. When all that is done I will do some initial tests with the partly assembled playfield in the game. Hopefully nothing will blow up!

#91 8 years ago

Hi!

Amendes, I'm no professional in reproducing plastics but I will try to make my own to begin with. Somewhere there is someone holding the license for making the plastics and selling them I guess so if Im gonna let others buy them I really need to check that first. Don't want to step on any toes.

Hooked, I thought the missing cap did not fit under the ramp, that it was a design flaw. Can't see no other reason why it's not there. Did you make any tweaks to the ramp or something to fit it?

#93 8 years ago

I'll test the third cap thing =)

And the head, maybe I should reinforce the new one with some metal, cast inside the resin... A rock hard indestructible super alien head!

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I'd recommend adding the missing pop cap.
If the alien head repair does not hold Pinballlife now sells a replacement.
I too brought a ebay basket case to life.
Under rated machine IMO.
» YouTube video

Nice sample of the game by the way! Makes me want to play mine now now now

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

maybe a rubber compound, that after a zillion hits, still looks the same, no wear, and of course, nothing can break off.
altho the ball might come bouncing off that head too fast?

Hm.. yeah.. ill try some different stuff. I found a uhm.. what is it called, instead of resin some rubberstuff =), and then I was thinking that maybe I could cast some rubbers for my BOP skill shot lane too since they are hard, if at all possible, to find..

#97 8 years ago

Hey HOOKED, what kind of color did you use (if any) on the LEDs under the inserts that have that turquoise color? Like the "20 mil" arrows below the ramps and the "I-D-4" inserts above the bumpers? The same color is on the large inserts "Release attackers" but there I can see youve put blue lamps..
It would suffice with white ones under the turquoise inserts i guess but just curious to know..

#100 8 years ago

amendes, allright! Enjoy your game and be happy, if you dont feel like dismounting the plastics. =)

Hooked, there are a teal/turquoise led ive seen, same as the ones i tried in my GI above. Not sure if they are available without the frosted cap though. Otherwise I will stick with the cool whites. After all the inserts themselves were designed to work without pimping color underneath. In my jackbot ive chosen warm white GI since the color theme of the game is kinda red/orange-ish. Looks pretty good. Still.. theres this extra soul to the old incandescent bulbs. For GI that is.. I like it. A game like ID4 though could really benefit from GI LEDs I think.

#106 8 years ago

yeah nice translites! I might get one later on to change around with =) Probably also install leds in the backbox instead of the old flourescent pipe...

Those red siderails and legs.. not my thing to be honest on this machine but on a game like getaway it would look super cool! =)

Broken plastics are really annoying! i know what you mean amendes..

Gonna move the playfield into the cabinet today! Looking around for something to put on the edges of the playfield so I wont scratch the cabinet insides when lifting it. Its tight between the cab and the playfield but anything thats soft enough and will stay in place and im happy. I imagine some kind of felt tape or something.. must be available at any local store..

#107 8 years ago

I have now put the playfield back into the machine just for some testing and to continue to reassemble the top of the playfield.
Nothing exploded!

Even though theres a lot of things to assemble I went into test mode to test the coin door buttons and such. It worked. Had some problems with active switches that was stuck like the tilt switch, the right slingshot and the left inlane. Also the bottom bumper did not register. Also noticed the LED for the bottom bumper is probably inserted backwards since it wont light. Also experienced terrible ghosting in the bumper lights and ive heard these segas are pretty prone to ghosting. Dont know if there are any nonghosting wedge bumper LEDs available but if there is I will get some.

In coil test no coils did fire but im not worried yet since ive taken everything apart and this was just a quick test. Will have a look later on and see what else to adjust. The display however looks terrific, sounds there and blasting and I did not scratch the inside of the cabinet when putting in the playfield so I am very happy so far! Even the transformer I painted and cleaned up seem to have survived (unless it is the cause for the non operating coils).

I put some double sided foam tape on the edges of the playfield to protect the cabinet. Its partly a temporary solution since i just have the protective film still on it and not some other soft material. But, I will come up with something.

Still a lot to do but a mile stone was reached today! =)

testing.jpgtesting.jpg

#110 8 years ago

Thanks! Will add more parts now and see if I can make it work in the end. It says 4 balls missing... I wonder why... =)

#111 8 years ago

Worked some more on the game today. Mounted the "ball feeder coil", and the auto plunger coil. Also some plastics. The coils are now working in test mode. Think it had something to do with the coin door interlock switch. Anyway, the biggest downside now is the broken plastics. I will repair them as good as possible and then be happy for now. Then I will reproduce them and change them later on cause it will take time to get the originals right for printing. Need to reproduce broken artwork etc but will make a small test with the slingshot plastics first. If it's good then I'll do the rest. Really eager to test the machine now! But I need to hold my horses a bit. 4th of July seems like a realistic date to have it completed hehe.

#112 8 years ago

The playfield plastics were repaired pretty ugly. So I have tried to fix that. Its not really pretty but at least a bit better then loads of glue gun glue:
plasticfix.jpgplasticfix.jpg

Next i found out that the plunger for the super VUK was too small... (the one on the left). The one on the right is the correct one. It makes me think that this was why the ball did not get kicked up every time but had to be kicked multiple times before it came all the way up. Maybe the thin plunger hit the ball slightly to the side and did not transfer the momentum to the ball completely. Of course it can be something else too, we will see when Ive tested it fully.
VUK-plunger.jpgVUK-plunger.jpg

#113 8 years ago

And now some more reassembly pictures. Its really a pretty huge difference from when I got the game:

clean1.jpgclean1.jpg
clean2.jpgclean2.jpg
clean3.jpgclean3.jpg
clean4.jpgclean4.jpg

#114 8 years ago

And some details:
clean8.jpgclean8.jpg
clean6.jpgclean6.jpg
clean5.jpgclean5.jpg
clean7.jpgclean7.jpg

Im pretty satisfied with the result so far! Now Im waiting for an extra bumper cap, some screws for it and some other small bits and pieces.

#116 8 years ago

Lets not forget about the underside. Its not as clean as the top side but the Subway and the Super VUK assembly are looking great!
cleanu.jpgcleanu.jpg
cleanvuk.jpgcleanvuk.jpg

Pew.. thats all for now! More pictures and info later on!

Im still working on the ball trough VUK opto.. it does not work. Its reported, and the only switch, as closed in the active switch test. And the transmitter does not light up. As opposed to bally williams games (at least that I know) this opto is on and when the light has a free path the switch is open, whereas when a ball blocks the light it will close. The opposite of the bally williams optos. Hence it should not be closed and by all means I should be able to see the beam since its not an IR opto. Will measure some volts on the connector to the transmitter. I bet its not there.. then I can backtrack the wires up to the board and see if there is a break somewhere or a bad connection. If however there is volts on the connector i will take the whole thing out and see if the transmitter works when I hook up a battery to it.

#117 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

hopefully we will get some nice target decals done soon, or later this year.

Would be nice.. or the one who feels like it can maybe replace the plastic part.. dont know if they are available though and it would also require some rivets and tools for it. I dont mind mine for now.. but yeah they are pretty worn.

#119 8 years ago

Its my first sega that Im working on but I must say its pretty neat under the playfield. Ive heard segas are not as fun too work on but im happy with this.

#121 8 years ago

Hi Elfman!

I did not realise the cabinet speaker is an upgrade! Thats cool, it was there when I got the game and I thought it was stock since ive only looked into older bally williams games. Interesting.. I might add the third speaker channel to it too to make the sound in the backbox stereo. As it is now, and stock, only the left speaker is sounding and even installed. I started to buy some parts for the upgrade but did not find them all at the time so I will need to look into it again.

Nice you like the restoration! I hope the game will play great and be fun when its completed!

#122 8 years ago

Most likely found the problem with the trough VUK opto. The power for it originates at J16 and then goes to one side of the alien opto assembly. Then it continues to the board on the other side of the alien and from there down to the trough VUK opto transmitter board. It's not a separate 5vdc for each board. Since I cut the hacked up alien optos from this chain the current can't go all the way down to the trough so that's the problem here. Need a new alien opto board set and then it should be alright. Just some info if someone else needs it =)

#123 8 years ago

Here a couple of more pictures of the reassembly process:
lside.jpglside.jpg

#126 8 years ago

I mentioned before that the coils did not work... it was my own fault. I did not notice you had to pull out the high current interlock switch inside the coin door to enable the high power for the coils when the coin door was open. You learn a lot by reading your games manual!
It was not really well described though, it just said you had to pull the switch. How to was not mentioned but it was pretty evident when I saw the switch with my own eyes. Heres a picture for all the other newbies out there:
hcurrentsw.jpghcurrentsw.jpg

Now all coils work in test mode! Great!

Reading furthere in the manual i discovered there is a "Play test" on these machines, maybe on newer sterns too? Anyway, it was perfect for when I was reassembling the super VUK and the plastics around it. The whole thing works like the game would in normal operation, lets say for example you put a ball in the shooter lane, the switch will trigger and the auto plunger fire. So its pretty neat. Dont get your fingers or any tools around the live coils though.. dangerous volts and not so nice to get hit by a coil or have tools flying when it fires.

Anyway, I tested the VUK (the one after the virus hole) in the play test by dropping a ball into the virus hole and it does now work very well! I dont really know what the problem was originally but I changed the plunger to the correct sized one, replaced the spring and the coil sleeve and cleaned everything up real good. My bet is on the too small plunger that was there originally.
vukwork.jpgvukwork.jpg

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

very nice. coming along beautifully. where'd you get those green frosted LEDs from.

Hi! =)

I got them from the swedish pinball shop called "Free-Play", heres the link:
http://shop.textalk.se/en/article.php?id=31839&art=14326197

Not really sure I will go for them everywhere since they are frosted.. maybe its better using wider angle leds without frosting under the plastics and only use these where the bulb is clearly visible. They are also "Dimmed GI" and to be honest I dont know what the purpose of it is.. they fade out slowly when the power is turned of so i guess they contain a cap and maybe they are designed to prevent ghosting that way. Im new to leds so forgive me.. Im super in love with the color though so will dig into it later on. And yeah... it will be a pain to replace the bulbs now that the plastics are all there but thats life.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Absolutely clean PF, new rubbers, shiny lane guides.... I'm getting envious.....

Better start working then =)

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

/shakes fist
damn you Sega !.. but thanks for some fun machines..

Agree! it will take some time but I have some ideas to make it work better in the future. I will try and see if its good or not =)

#133 8 years ago

Next report is about one of all the hacks you find when restoring a machine. This time it was one of the flipper bases that had been hacked. For some reason one or more of these have been welded or has the worng screws, bolts and nuts on them on all my games... Guess the metal gets weakened by long term use.

Found two home made solutions here.. the first one is an ordenairy bolt screwed into the bracket to work as a coil stop. The original coil stop part mustve breaked down so they used the bracket from the other side of the coil and drove a bolt trough it. Problem solved! or?

The second one is hilarious.. the all time favourite wood screw was used to attach a coil bracket to the flipper base. And to top it off it was screwed TROUGH the old machine screw! Made me upset so I ordered some new flipper bases and will replace them.
hackofday.jpghackofday.jpg

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

those LEDS better be good at (converted to austdlrs) $1.90 .. ouch
theres a teal color yeah too, that does look nice in the game.

I know.. not fun restoring a game cost wise...

#135 8 years ago

"A friend of mine is reproducing the keyrings for this machine..... if you're up to acquire some, PM me!"

Good to know! I'll let you know if I'm interested later on!

#136 8 years ago

Here is a picture of the mod I made to the third bumper cap which is "missing" in the factory design. I dont really know why they left it out but I guess it was because of bad design (the ramps are too tight to make the cap fit).
It looks better with a third cap in the game even though you dont really see the area from the players POV. Thanks to HOOKED for pointing out it was possible to add a third cap.
capmod.jpgcapmod.jpg

#137 8 years ago

And, I have been testing how the ramps fit and tried to figure out where all the supports and stuff should go. Not that hard to figure out but its a pain working with it since you dont want to leave finger prints under the ramps and also all the wires for the switches and flashers are a bit troublesome to sneak down through everything and out the backside of the playfield. Looks promising anyway and I say it again.. it looks a lot better now than before it was cleaned! Enjoy the special effect super lighting from my electric screw driver/screw gun.
ramptest.jpgramptest.jpg

#142 8 years ago

Hi there fantasygoat!

Thanks, i will continue till im done with it =) not much left now.. "only" new legs of the proper model, new alien opto boards, new flipper assemblies, a few side rail screws (security torx style ones), flipper rubbers, adding the metal wire ball guides, more LEDs and last thing.. casting a new alien head and mount it into the game. I may, if I feel like it later, add a third speaker channel on the board and a second speaker in the display panel to make it true stereo. Not sure its worth it but in visual pinball, that I use for testing, there is indeed some stereo sound. Im so excited to try this game for real when its all completed!

#143 8 years ago

@amendes, hm.. maybe someone added a third bumper cap at some point? All pics ive seen on the net have only 2..

The ramps, as far as I know they are not available to buy anywhere (yet) so I had to clean mine. I used a kitchen cleaning spray that takes away grease and dirt. Then flushed them in water and let them dry. After that I flame polished them which really makes a huge difference to the appearance! Word of warning though should you ever try it. Practice doing it on something less important like a broken old ramp or something first time if youre not used to do it. Otherwise its easy to ruin the ramps. Its also super important the ramps are very clean since the flame polishing will make any grain of dust or even fingerprints permanent!

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

It got great sounds and not so easy ramp shots (I <3 pinball ramps)! This game is awesome!

Fingers crossed!

#147 8 years ago

Yeah they have added a red cap in that picture.. And maybe you know that if you unscrew one plastic you're going to take the whole game apart =) lots of work!

By the way, does anyone know where and how the spotlight should be mounted in the game? Mine was just dingling around loose... I've seen pics where it sits on a maybe 2-3" hex post at the top of the right wire guide, but also some pics without that post as well as other variants. Would be nice to know how it was meant to be.

#149 8 years ago

It would indeed look and sound great with those upgrades. The downside to getting a "rotten" machine for a fair price is you need to buy everything before you can play it. It's not like you get a decent machine and then have the chance to save up for buying a speaker kit after some time. But, adding the third sound channel could do in my case.

The spotlight can be found in the manual at Page 60, section 4, chapter 1. Not really easy to tell how tall it is though. At least you can see where it should be and the direction of it. Adding a few more could be something.

#152 8 years ago

Amendes, cool! Also you've got some alien art on the inside of the cabinet. Never seen that before...

#153 8 years ago

Nice sling plastics too! When everything is complete and working I will have a look and see if there's anything that needs modding =)

1 week later
#155 8 years ago

Finally another update!

Ive replaced the flipper bases since the old ones were hacked up and welded. Not good. This is how the new ones look:
flipperbase.jpgflipperbase.jpg

Next I replaced the alien head opto that was also hacked up, even worse than the flipper bases!
I also replaced the connector housings for the opto boards:
aopto.jpgaopto.jpg

Soldering the wires, that are supposed to be looped trough the new connectors:
aoptoconn.jpgaoptoconn.jpg

The red opto light will actually add to the look of the game:
aopto2.jpgaopto2.jpg

And, the active switch test showed the opto was triggered when I put something between the boards to interrupt the light beam:
aoptoworks.jpgaoptoworks.jpg

Now, i will have to wait for the casting material so I can cast my new Alien head. Its not possible to re mount the ramps before the Alien head which feels kinda annoying right now.

Stay tuned!

#157 8 years ago

Thanks! need a new glass before it gets all dusty again!

2 weeks later
#158 8 years ago

Now, finally an update! Ive been doing a lot of research about casting and now ive finally made a few tests.

The old alien head getting prepared for the mold, and how the cocoon looks on the inside:
cast.jpgcast.jpg

Newly hatched right side alien baby!:
hatched.jpghatched.jpg

The other half getting prepared for casting... think it feel great inside that alien chamber!
Note the tip of the "ear" that I have sculpted with a bondo-like dough to repair it. Hopefully it will get seemless once casted.
nexthead.jpgnexthead.jpg

And lastly, this is how the right side model looks when test mounted into the game:
testhead.jpgtesthead.jpg

This is really time consuming and makes me scratch my head a lot, but fun nevertheless!
Hardest part is to try to align and drill the holes at the back of the head to fit the shafts from the gearbox below the playfield.
After both halves have been cast, aligned to perfection and actually working in the game I will airbrush paint them. Lastly a coat of clear should make the model pop.

More to come!

#160 8 years ago

Hi there amendes!
Thanks for the support =) I will probably make a few spares while I'm at it. Not sure if I can officially put them on sale though because of any licensing issue that I'm not yet aware of. Will need to investigate that first. If theres no problem I can let some of them get a new home =)

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from ngoett:

Back Alley Creations reproduced them a while back and now are sold at Marco.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5717-BA

Hi there! Yeah I've seen it, that's where I got the idea from. Wanted to try some new stuff so I decided to cast one myself. Don't know how the final result will work but I think it looks promising.

Ledge, thanks! =)

#165 8 years ago

I might look into the licenses etc and see how it works. All I know is that it's a jungle!

1 week later
#166 8 years ago

Still working on the alien head, heres a picture of the complete set! Its a pain to align it in the game on the shafts from the servo below but I think this will do. Its probably possible to align it so there is almost zero gap between the halves but looking at pics on the internet it looks like this or worse. Now off to the paint shop! A friend of mine is going to paint it so im eagerly waiting for the results!
Note: The right picture shows it better aligned than the left one, and thats how it will line up when done.

2heads.jpg2heads.jpg

#168 8 years ago

Thanks ledge! I think the left side tip of the "ear" came out pretty good too, that's the one that I had to re sculpt.

#170 8 years ago

Yes and same with the right side. Either the material has become brittle during the years or it was not any good to begin with. I've tried to drop one of the halves I've made from like 3 meters into a concrete floor and not a scratch. Maybe I should try to really throw it into the floor too just for a test. Any way I think it will hold up fine. The shafts it's mounted on do flex a bit too when a ball strikes so that will absorb some of the energy. I've also made the ears a bit thicker to prevent the head from cracking.

3 weeks later
#171 8 years ago

Almost a month since any update but guess what, the alien head has been painted! It looks great imo. I'll post a few pics of it tomorrow.

#172 8 years ago

Ok, here are a few pictures of just test mounting the new alien head.
painthead.jpgpainthead.jpg

I think it looks great! Will be interesting to see if everything holds up when its getting blasted by balls but I think it will.
Many thanks to my friend Matt for painting this little thing for me!

Now I can finally continue the reassembly and I am really eager to try the game so hopefully it will get pretty fast!

#175 8 years ago

@Flippermatt hehe.. thats strange! wonder why...

Thanks amendes! Always nice when people like the result of all the hard work!

#177 8 years ago

Thank you Avatar! Will post more once the reassembly has continued a bit more. It's really getting there!

#179 8 years ago

Yeah those protectors will be nice! Fingers still crossed they will fit.

#181 8 years ago

Yo kvan99! Nice youre chiming in! Really glad you enjoyed the read!

Still some bits and pieces to fix, polish and so on but soon Im gonna play it. Its my third restoration project, still Ive not yet experienced the joy of playing a game ive restored. The bop restoration is waiting for the repro playfield and the high speed project.. well... needs a lot of love and wont be done anytime soon. So, im starting to feel like a little kid before christmas with this one!

#184 8 years ago

@ledge, thanks! Yes it will be very nice to try it! Gonna fix some small things tonight to get closer.

#187 8 years ago

@Zenomorp, thanks! =)

@Jean-Luc-Picard, yes I'm happy with the result too! Took some thinking, research and hard work but it worked. Was going to point out the scientists on the playfield but you found him yourself =)

1 week later
#188 8 years ago

Hi again!

I have been silent since I have reassembled the game and I am currently testing it out. Most things seem fine but there are some small issues that i need to adress. Heres the list:

- The ballgate at the exit of the shooter lane was missing. I did not notice that until I tried the game and balls kept rolling back down the shooter lane every now and then. It has now been fixed with a home made gate wire that I made from a bike wheel spoke. Works but now theres a slight rattling noise from the area that was not there before. Will check that. =)

- The plunger, which is an auto one, does fire the balls good out on the playfield. However, sometimes they wont make it all the way up to the bumpers. It feels similar to how the VUK behaved before I changed the plunger in the assembly. Like the hit area of the plunger tip is too small and that it misses somewhat sometimes. Ive checked with the manual but the plunger looks to be the correct one. Ive tried to put a shooter tip on the plunger but no difference. So, i might try a wider tip for it and see if it gets any better.

- Somethings strange with the chain of switches for the alien opto, subway entrance at the alien, subway and maybe the virus hole trough switch. Everything works but sometimes the VUK continues to fire like three times after it shot out a ball. Also the opto in front of the alien head will lock a ball even though the ball doesnt make it inside the alien, and rolls back down. I thought the switch inside the alien assy should lock the ball... not the opto that I thought was only for registering a hit on the alien. Hm.. The switches involved are all on the same collumn and they do NOT have any diodes on them and look as if they are all wired backwards compared to normal switches in the game.

If someone knows why there are no diodes on these switches and why they are wired "backwards" i would really like to know. I want it to function properly. However it looks as though this is factory.

- The alien head, it works brilliant concerning ball hits. The material is solid. But, the paint has started to flake allready after about 20 games so I need to try a different clear on it. Nothing major though.

Will post some more on these issues along with some pictures later today.

All in all im very happy with the restoration so far!

/Andy

#190 8 years ago

@RoadRunner, hi there! Nice with some Scandinavians here too =)

I may have found the problem with the VUK just 15 min ago. Check the arm that is supposed to close switch 52, servo open close. It's located under the pf on the alien head servo assembly.
Mine had gotten misaligned when I tinkered with the head so I just held it with a pair of pliers, unscrew the bolt on the shaft a little, aligned the arm so it closed the switch (with the head open) and tightened the nut. Now the opto doesn't seem to lock balls until you shoot them into the head (closing the alien head subway front switch) and the VUK seem to work normal again. Only tried this for 3 games but fingers crossed it was the issue!

The game must have gotten confused since it did not know if the head was open or closed and maybe the VUK acted out like a ball search mode or so.

At least worth a try. Feel free to report back if you manage to fix it! Also check the switch itself so that ain't bad.

#191 8 years ago

The satisfaction when the reassembly list looks like this:

list.jpglist.jpg

=)

#192 8 years ago

Some pictures of the later steps in the reassembly:

lightsoff.jpglightsoff.jpg

And here with the lights on:
lightson.jpglightson.jpg

leds.jpgleds.jpg

#193 8 years ago

Still a lot of leds missing, especially under the inserts but they are on their way.
The display seems to work great at least!

aliens.jpgaliens.jpg

Aliens huh? Or was it just an elaborate hoax made by some high school students?

(Do the purple leds under the ramps look good or plain ugly? At first I thought it looked like shit but now when im getting used to it I think it looks pretty cool.)

So the list of fixes...

- The missing ballgate was fixed (the one at the end of the shooter lane). The rattling sound I experienced went away when I adjusted the gate to not touch one of the nuts holding the plastic around the VUK wire form.

- The plunger, still fires some balls half the way to the bumper area. I took it out and tightened the coil in the bracket but no success. Something you have to live with?

- The Alien opto locking balls and the VUK firing, not 100% sure yet since I only played three games after I adjusted it. But it seems the issue was switch 52 not closing since the arm on the alien head shaft from the servo was missaligned. Still need to give it some more plays to really find out if it was a permanent solution.

Ive done some other minor adjustments too, like the ballgate on the left ramp. A soft shot up the ramp should send the ball back, stopping at the gate, and let it roll down the rear alien head hole to trigger the "July 2, 3" etc. but it got stuck there if it did not roll fast enough. Thats been fixed.

When I first tried the game balls could be trapped on top of the right ramp (up in the left curve right before entering the wire form). It was because i changed one of the hex bars that supports the ramps to make the alien head go free from the ramp. Later I discovered it was nothing wrong with the height of the ramps but instead I had drilled the hole in the left alien head half a bit off. Used a dremel to expand the hole a bit so the head could be tilted forward slightly and now it clears the ramp.

Had a lot of frustration going on with the third bumper cap. The ramp touched it no matter how much I took off off the cap but finally it fitted.

Then there is the flaking paint on the new head.. sigh.. but will fix that too eventually by trying another clear.

I also got a manual for the game, decent shape! No game is complete without one.

Now, there are still some things to fix:

- LEDs for all the inserts

- New legs with longer bolts

- Make stickers for the fuse list that goes in the backbox, the transformer sticker, the inside cabinet serial sticker and some more.

- Get an envelope for the manual, not sure if its the brown style and if there should be any sticker or something on it so if someone knows feel free to tell me!

- Get a new glass

- Try to install a LED strip in the back of the cabinet to enhance lighting. Would be cool.

I would also like to get tags for the wire harnesses saying "xfmr secondary", "playfield" and so on but they are hard to find.

Probably something more that I forgot but ill report any progress! =)

#194 8 years ago

hehe.. repaint the lockdown bar.. will have somone do it for me so it gets really good. Wont use a spray can for this but rather something more industrial.

#197 8 years ago

@ledge,
I will check with some friends and see if I can have the lockdown bar "powder coated". Not sure it's called that in English but it's better than the home stuff and should be able to withstand wear. Sounds like what's needed for the bar.

I've only got a print of the original instruction card but I am missing the right side one, which says something like 3 balls per play etc. I'm tempted to design something own for both cards but guess it won't happen soon. Will let you know if I do it.

Hm might try some colored sleeves too, the good old black is alright but I may change my mind.

"the alien head turned out awesome man, well done indeed....."
Thanks! Will fix the paint and try it out with different clear.

"what kind of leds did u use in the pops?".
Used these:
http://shop.textalk.se/en/article.php?id=31839&art=18399599

Looks great!

"did u have to adjust the ramp a lot to get that 3rd cap under there?"

The process of fitting the cap was driving me nuts! But to summarize, I did not modify the ramp at all but cut off parts of the cap itself. On the right side where it goes close to the ramp and on the front "slope". Might be some other ways. The cap looks pretty bad but from the players POV it passes as a complete cap. I can live with that =)

Already bought a led strip that can change color by a remote control. I think it's possible to cut it and hook it up to the game at some 12v connector. Getting the color you want is done by regulating the voltage if I remember correctly. Still have it in a shopping bag but it's time to test it in the game soon!

#198 8 years ago

@RoadRunner,
If I remember correctly the switch should close when the head is open and vice versa. (I'll double check tomorrow) Also from the picture you posted it looks the switch is on backwards. Try flipping it so the blade points to the left as opposed to how it sits in the picture. Mine is mounted that way, again if I remember correctly.

Check page 79 in the game manual. There you can see the switch on the bottom left pic. By the way it should be a uhm.. Roll switch (blade with a roller at the tip like the ones in the ball trough) and not the kind of blade you have. Not that it matters function wise but in the long run that normal blade will wear itself and the switch actuator arm and may cause trouble.

First off try flipping the switch and see what happens. Fingers crossed! (Report back with results cause I'm curious if it solved it) =)

#201 8 years ago

RoadRunner, will be interesting to hear about the results! BTW, here are pics of how it looks on my game:
sw52states.jpgsw52states.jpg

ledge, I will measure the hex post for you, I think from looking through the glass, its a 1" one but will compare it with the chart in the manual.

#205 8 years ago

Great! =) Hope you can solve it RoadRunner, the game actually feels better to play when its the way it should. Even though it worked but different, with the switch not operating.

#210 8 years ago

Yeah, a deeper rule set would've been nice. Now that Independence Day 2 is on its way maybe it's time to do an id4 2.0 like the bop 2.0. A few missions to accomplish etc before killing the mother ship would be cool!

I will think about making this an id4 owners club. There should be one!

@RoadRunner, glad to hear you were successful in fixing the switch issue! Better game play! My head is not super calibrated either but I might try to adjust it some more. It's alright but if I feel like it I will do it =)

#211 8 years ago

I got some LEDs today that I throwed into the game in a hurry before work. Some terrible ghosting but overall alright. Also on the two long green inserts, release attackers, the middle led won't light up. Only the ones on the sides. It's not a connection issue cause the led has a tiny glow when I take it out and examine it so there must have been current there. I will mess around a bit and see if I can improve.
Somewhere I think I read that these segas are extra prone to ghosting but not sure. Do any of you have any experience with LEDs in id4?

#212 8 years ago

In case someone's wondering these are the LEDs I use so far:
http://shop.textalk.se/en/artgrp.php?id=31839&grp=1708845

They're called superflux plus and should prevent ghosting.
The green ones are the worst followed by the cool whites. The rest doesn't seem to ghost that much. Will swap them around and see if I can figure something out.

#214 8 years ago

Great! Would like to learn to program the software. I'll save it for later =)

#215 8 years ago

Still fine tuning things.. ive installed a LED-strip in the back, under the backbox just above the mirror back board. Looks decent i think:
clear.jpgclear.jpg
Note: In the picture above I had not fitted the strip completely, just tested it.

The strip is a "standard" one that you can buy at varios places. Its for home decoration, like under the TV or whatever. It comes with a remote control an AC adapter and some box containing circuitry. The adapter converts the wall outlet power to 12VDC, which means one can hook it up to a connector in the game. The remote control lets you change the colors to your liking as well at put it in different modes like strobing, fading etc. where it cycles between the colors. At first I thought I should lock it to one color since I did not want the remote and the circuitry box in the game. But, when i saw the strip in action I decided it could actually be nice to be able to change the color with a button press as well as being able to put it in one of the cycling modes.
The remote can stay inside the coin door and the small circuit box can be attached somewhere inside the backbox. Pretty neat!

My plan is to hook this guy up to the power connector for the printer, which has 12V. Lets hope that work. (In the following pictures I just had the cable hanging out of the game and into the wall outlet.).

strip.jpgstrip.jpg

Here is a picture of the playfield. I am going to add some lighting to the lower part since its pretty dark. (still have not added all leds so maybe it will change a bit to the better). Maybe also two spotlights, one on each sling shot, that can be hooked up with Z-connectors to the GI circuit pretty much anywhere.

I will change the purple LED that can be seen under the left slingshot plastic. Will try blue or something else till im happy.

field.jpgfield.jpg

#217 8 years ago

=) A few leds will improve a lot!

#218 8 years ago

Allright, ive been testing the game a little more and I like it so far. A little shallow rules as we all know but still challangeing to complete all ramp shots etc. Today, after like 20 plays i discovered the red alert mode. But ive got the mother ship a few times which is pretty cool, especially the cinematic graphics on the display.

One issue is left tough and that is that the game slam tilts when a lot of things are going on in the bumper area during multiball. I have now disconnected the tilt bob and the slam tilt switch inside the coin door and will try it some more. As always when I encounter stuff like this i check the switch matrix grid and indeed, the slam tilt switch, the plumb bob and the bumpers are all on the same collumn (7). Also the launch button and the servo open close switch are there. So, now my theories are that maybe there is a failing diode on one of the bumper switches or somewhere else causing a false slam tilt reading when the bumpers are hit at the same time. I will check this out by going into switch test and see if the slam tilt switch triggers when i press one or more bumper switches. Im no expert in the switch matrix..so maybe the fault is not in that collumn but somewhere else. We will see, could also be the slam tilt switch wire being worn and maybe it makes contact somewhere.

#221 8 years ago

Looks nice! I have plenty of my led strip left so should try it! Still looking for the problem with the slam tilt. I've tried to test active switches and held in various combinations of the bumpers etc but no success yet. It appeared after I removed the subway and maybe I touched some wire that I should not...

#224 8 years ago

@Flippermatt, sure! Ill try to find a day when im not super busy But yeah, the game has improved a lot since the last time you checked it out.

@MustangPaul, hi there! Nice youre following this thread too! ^^ I defenitely agree with you, the lower half is pretty damn dark. Im working on a solution! LED strip and/or spotlights. Will mess around a bit and see what happens.

Update on the slam tilt issue...(thinking out loud) its gone when the coin door is completely disconnected (the switch harness). Tested the diode on the slam tilt switch and it looks good. None of the other switches in the collumn looks to be shorted or close to shorted either.. time to start measuring with the DMM i guess. Backtrack the switch wire and see where it goes and check all diodes along the way. Its pretty annoying since its not like "every time the left bumper swtich closes the game will slam tilt" but rather something like "sometimes, when theres a lot of balls around the bumpers the game will slam tilt."

The switch test does not indicate any fault. The bumpers etc. do register and they can be pressed simoultanously too without the slam tilt switch regging at the same time. Im thinking a vibrating wire from any of the bumer switches.

#227 8 years ago

I thought that I would not like too much leds and bling and stuff on my games. But now that ive started to play a little I understand why people tend to like it. For example mirror side rails, it does look nice! But, im still regarding myself conservative with pins. My Jackbot for example will never get led strips and things. LEDs for GI and inserts, sure, but adding too much to an older game does not feel right. ID4 though I wanted to try to give a more modern look. Taste differs among people.

Have not figured out the tilt issue yet.. will need to dig into it but its on its way.

#228 8 years ago

I was thinking about the slam tilt thing.. Since it is that particular switch that is "ghosting" I notice it pretty well. But what if you have a shorted diode somwhere else that makes something less noticeable give a false positive.. Like a tiny standup target or something. Then you would maybe ever notice something is wrong... Still trying to wrap this matrix around my head... Or my head around it.. I almost understand it and this will be a good experience.

#230 8 years ago

I think if the game reset something else was wrong. Maybe some flaky power that got too low when a lot was going on during multiball. My issue is not that it resets but that it slam tilts. Will try some things today =)

#231 8 years ago

Slam tilt issue fixed!

I managed to track down the faulty diode. Actually it was not a faulty diode but a diode that was soldered backwards. Found it on the VUK switch. I found it by stepping through the matrix by activating a switch in the same row and one in the same collumn as the "false positive" switch, the slam tilt switch.

After some struggling I found that if the VUK switch was closed at the same time as the area 51 bottom standup target and the head open/close switch the slam tilt switch was also triggered even though it was open. So, either the VUK, the A51 bottom target or the head open/close switch had a shorted or faulty diode. Unsoldered them and tested them one by one until i realised the VUK switch diode was backwards. Now everything works again! yay! (its amazing that this condition can happen as often as it did during gameplay.. head open, one ball in the VUK AND the area 51 bottom target being hit simoultaneously!)

Another thing i found is a possible solution for the ball launcher not being able to fire the balls all the way up to the bumpers at some times. It looks sometimes the ball hits the yellow standup target on the left side of the alien head on its way up. Its misaligned and interferes with the ball trajectory. Will align it and then hopefully all "growing pains" should be solved... heh not sure the growing pains part is used like that but you know, the early issues that everything has when its new.

More info, experiences and LED pictures to be shown in the near future!

#236 8 years ago

Amendes, that's really nice! I would like to restore it! If it's not partly burned down, cabinet broke in half or heavily damaged by water it's salvageable! If I lived nearer I would make an offer pretty steep project for you to start learning on but from taking it apart you will learn a lot!

#241 8 years ago

Do you mean the clear plastic with the two Clear mini star posts above the bumper? I have that in my machine. You should take it out and install it in your game. While having the ramps off you could do some cleaning in that hard to reach area too. =)

#243 8 years ago

Always good with parts! The ramp protectors yeah, it's nice they are factory on this game. As far as I can tell.

1 week later
#244 8 years ago

OK, here is a thing that may be noteworthy. After playing some games I happened to discover a tiny piece of plastic in the cabinet. It looked familiar and indeed it was a piece from the left slingshot link. At first I thought it was a bad replacement i had installed but after a closer look i discovered it was actually a worn slingshot bracket that made it brake. The bracket is so worn that the plastic link touches the underside of the playfield and gets squeezed. Even though it only hits the pf with the force of the spring. It may still have been a bad part i got but anyway. I need a new bracket sooner or later but meanwhile i fixed it by putting some spacers between the bracket and the playfield to lift it a bit. Below a picture where ive circled the worn area and the plastic link that broke. (This is after i replaced the link so hence its not broken in the picture).

slingworn.jpgslingworn.jpg

#245 8 years ago

And, Ive finally installed some power for the LED-strip i put in the back of the game. Originally it comes with an AC adapter that you plug into the wall and then it converts the power to 12VDC. It would be a hassle to have to plug it in everytime you want to play the game so I hooked it up to the connector for the printer power in the front of the cabinet. I know some just make adapters with IDC connectors and a header that they plug onto the power board but I felt this looks better.
The printer power connector feeds 12VDC (luckily even though the printer is not accessed from the menus) and also 5VDC. I made a connector that only make use of the 12VDC and crimped it onto the cable from the orignial LED AC adapter. The gray/red wire in the game is the + side and the black the -/ground. Hence, if you do this, you need to make sure you make the connector so the cable to the LED strips "electronic box" is wired properly. In my case the + side was in the middle of the adapter jack. Looks pretty nice and works well. A side note, I have not yet attached the electronics box inside the backbox. Thats why it just sits there looking like crap ^^
Another side note, the gray/red wire was cut on my game and sealed with shrinking tube, so thats the reason its cut in the pics. I measured power on it and then soldered it together. Seems to work so far (dont want to know the reason they cut it earlier...).

LED-power.jpgLED-power.jpg

1 week later
#246 8 years ago

New fuse chart in the making! =) (the games not complete before its complete...)

fchart.jpgfchart.jpg

1 week later
#247 8 years ago

Still fixing bits and pieces on the game (will it ever stop?). A while back I discovered a nice thread here on Pinside about making a LED backbox board for Stern games, or any game that has a light tube behind the backglass. It can be found here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-an-led-backbox-for-30-for-modern-sterns (thanks for posting it!)

So, since I had a few meters left of the LED-strip I put in the back of the game I decided to give it a try. Heres the process documented:

First, cutting the board and installing a couple of screws on the old light tube brackets. I added some washers to the board to make it easier to handle. Only missing some wingnuts but will get some later on.
I went for a LED-strip that came with a remote controller (had to buy some more since what I had left was not enough) and a small box containing whatever electronics needed to operate it. With the remote you can change the color of the LEDs as well as put it in different modes like strobing, flashing, fading and so on. At first i thought it was pretty lame and did not want the extra electronics in the game. However, after I tested it I changed my mind. Its pretty neat after all!
LEDboard1.jpgLEDboard1.jpg

I glued the IR sensor for the remote on the board so that it pokes through the board. This way its possible to use the remote and change the lighting even though the backglass is on.
LEDboard2.jpgLEDboard2.jpg

Here are a few pics of the backglass with different colors. Some are pretty cool while others look like shit.
LEDboard3.jpgLEDboard3.jpg

And, heres a view of the game with the new backglass LEDs installed. Looks decent imo!

I got the power for the LED board from the printer jack in front of the cabinet. I used the same connector as I used for the LED-strip in the back of the playfield and just splitted it into two connectors in the other end. Works good so far!
(Note: I know the PF is dark in the middle and the spotlights look like crap, im still testing it out so I will soon find a setup that looks acceptable. Maybe LED-strips on the apron but have not decided yet.)

yay.jpgyay.jpg

#249 8 years ago

Hi and thanks! =)

Yes the white ones look best, maybe the slightly yellow works too. But then it looks like an old game with old incandescent bulbs behind the glass.

That's a good tip on the alien head, I've heard it before but never paid any attention to it aide it was too early in the restoration. Will try it. I think however the gap I have is because of the holes I made in the head. May not be super aligned but worth a try.

#252 8 years ago

As far as I know they are still in the works. Havent heard anything more about them yet... I think ledge should know, hes the one in touch with cliffy while I handed over the measurements.

Lets hope they get done soon, would be nice to have!

2 weeks later
#254 8 years ago

Hi there vwallat99!

I would check the opto switch that is just in front of the alien head. Theres no physical switch for the alien head (for registering ball hits) but an optical switch. When the light beam is interrupted it registers as a hit on the head.
Try to enter switch test in the games menus and see if you can trigger the switch easily with your finger or by rolling a ball towards the head. If not, next step is to check the connectors on the opto boards that sticks up from under the playfield on each side of the head, in front of it. They have to be tight and not loose causing bad connections. If that fails i think maybe your opto boards have gotten worn out or misaligned. Check that they are aligned properly and did not come out of place. Maybe theres a loose screw or maybe cold/cracked solder joints on the opto boards.

Hope it helps somewhat!

1 week later
#255 8 years ago

Anyone got a score/instruction card for ID4 or other sega game? The right hand one that says something like 3 balls per play? I have the instruction card but not the other.
Not looking for some fancy new custom card (yet at least) but rather the original one used on location. A scan or even a decent picture of it would do.

#257 8 years ago

Hehe =) is that a chicken or an alien getting fried?

1 week later
#261 8 years ago

wierdeer, hehe.. well that could do =) And yes the 2.0 ruleset would be pretty cool. i doubt stern or someone else will do an ID42 anytime soon.. depends on the success of the movie ofc but.. on the other hand a JJ version with LCD screen could really be awesome!

HarrieD, the world is smaller than we imagine.. so maybe.

1 week later
#263 8 years ago

Oh! Thats cool =)
So.. guess its time to start programming the ID4R game rom now.. as well as change the space ship to a more modern one hehe..
A couple of games from now JJ or Stern should make a game out of the new movie! Could actually be pretty cool especially with the LCD screen and all.

2 months later
#279 8 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

My opto board was kind of hacked from whomever did work to it last. I finally had the ambition to get in there and take a look. My ID4 is looking and playing amazing once again. Thanks for the tip to check out the board.

20160101_225037_(resized).jpg

That's great to hear! Always nice to contribute =) I think my restoration is pretty much done now but I still need to fix the stickers for it and then take a few pictures of the game before I call it finished. Will do as soon as I have the time.

#281 8 years ago

Might do that if you guys want it, it already has some good tips and solutions in it =)

#287 8 years ago

I've now changed the topic to the Independence Day (ID4) Owners Club. Let's hope it will be a nice place to discuss things related to this game!

#289 8 years ago

Not sure, maybe a bit later but the new movie might have at least a little interest going. Still would like to see a new machine based on the new movie with today's tech.

#290 8 years ago

Anyone knows if it's possible to move the thread from the restorations sub forum to the all clubs one? And.. How to do it..

#292 8 years ago

I'll check it out. Worst case I think robin or so could always move it. Or maybe I'll change it back and create a new separate club thread after all. Can always put links between them.

#293 8 years ago

Ended up creating a separate club thread instead. Think it's better after all, let's keep the discussion going there! I've linked both threads together by posting links.

Here's the club thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/independence-day-id4-club-owners-and-fans#post-2986230

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Midlothian, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 18.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 12.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheRingMaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/independence-day-id4-restoration?tu=TheRingMaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.