View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
im-out (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
PTBarnumArtMoneyGetting (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
troll-poster (resized).jpg
IMG_1028 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 7 years ago

This is crazy talk. This is a full on cash grab with Batman '66 and, because of Stern, JJP saw room to price up their game, so they're doing so.

These prices are unsustainable. I'm not priced out yet, but I'm done with NIB games. It no longer makes any rational sense to be paying these costs when there's no increase in game features and quality. Adding an LCD screen doesn't count as new features, because it's actually cheaper than a DMD display. Stern is raising margins as fast as they can, and it's greedy.

Do you think that their new investors really care about pinball? No. They just want to get their money back, turn a profit, and go find the next company to play with. When Stern (and JJP) took outside money, this was always going to be the end result. The investors will milk the customer base for as much as they can and move on.

There's no good reason for pinball to cost this much, especially from the two companies that build at the largest scale. It's all greed.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from brundaged:

This is an emotional response, which I can sympathize with.
Business is hard, especially in the present environment. Companies need to take profit if they can. If it's not sustainable, it will change.

This is not emotional, this is rational talk. They're pumping as much air into an ever thinning bubble as they can. The bottom is going to fall out if they keep this up.

There is no way that a mass market can support these prices. Operators won't want to put $9,000-$12,000 machines on location, and if they do, they won't pay off for a very long time.

$1 a play is already turning people off. $2 a play is a complete non-starter. It won't work.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from brundaged:

This is my point. There's still a market despite this thinking, so either the market is bigger or the thinking is wrong. Manufacturers will adjust back down if it doesn't work.

That will be a fun talk with the shareholders. They ramped up prices way too quickly.

#53 7 years ago

Want to know how we already know it's bad for pinball? There were three major games unveiled (Dialed In, Batman '66, Aliens) at Expo this year and the biggest talking point is the price of the games. We're not focused on cost over content. Good job, guys. Way to go.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I have bought every new stern for the past several years except wwe. I will not spend this much on nib however. Gble was most likely my last new stern.

Same here. It was my 8th Stern and my 3rd Stern NIB. It was also the last.

#180 7 years ago

Tapping unto a high end market would be a valid strategy, but these aren't high end machines. The price is high(est) end, but Batman '66 is pretty sparse. It has less features than Stern's previous release, and it's built with the same process. We're not talking a Time vs. a Rolex. We're taking two Timex watches, one just priced as a Rolex.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.25
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/increasing-prices-good-for-pinball?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.