View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
im-out (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
PTBarnumArtMoneyGetting (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
troll-poster (resized).jpg
IMG_1028 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brundaged.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

No one wants to pay more, obviously. Can we please move past the grousing about it?

-Stern's 15k Batman 66 SLE is obviously a pricing experiment: They intend to learn how much demand there is for a much-higher priced game. They're not doing it to make money. 30 SLE games times an extra $6,000 per game is only $180,000. For a manufacturer of their size that's not enough to make a difference. But gathering data on how many people are willing to enter a contest just to be able to buy it is very valuable.

-JJP's Limited Edition Dialed In! really is limited: The $9,000 price is only good until the end of the year, after which the price is $12,500. So pay a deposit now and the game is theoretically worth more after December 31. At 9k the price is comparable to their other offerings, yet offers more. The theme is irrelevant to this discussion. For JJP, the pricing experiment is to see how many will commit to a deposit before the year is over. After that, they find out how many still want it at 12.5k.

Remember that companies can always lower prices--that's easy. The hard part is finding the pricing ceiling, which is what both companies are doing right now. The fact that they feel able to explore this tells us the market is strong. That's great news!

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Not correct. There's 2 versions. The $9000 LE and the $12,500 "collectors edition". I think you have until the end of the year to order a CE, if memory serves.

My mistake then, but the logic remains essentially the same: Anchor the high end at 12.5k. They may not expect anyone to buy it.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Nikonokin:

SUSTAINABILITY. All the doom and gloom....I never played pinball in my life until a couple years ago...I now own 7. It's all gonna be fine, there's a ton of people out there. I hope they start innovating the playfield in more exciting ways. If they make them irresistible...

Prices will go down if they're not sustainable. The rising prices suggest the market is getting bigger (more people interested).

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Batman '66 is most certainly a cash grab.

I'd call it "finding the pricing ceiling". They'll make their profit on the 9k version. The SLE is just an experiment.

Companies are obligated to find the most profitable price for their products, especially if they're small. Otherwise they don't survive.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

Actually, brundaged, you have very little knowledge of market economics. A company finding the "most profitable price" for their products is almost always trading an immediate-term gain for a longer-term loss.
Markets are strengthened when they can be broadened and product purchases are repeatable. Extracting every last dollar narrows the customer base by shrinking potential buyers while decreasing the likelihood of repeat purchases for expanded offerings. Price elasticity is the subject of basic business economic courses through Masters and Doctorate level programs.
Simply put, Stern and JJP are scavenging their own customer base while alienating those who could become potential customers.

I wouldn't argue, for the most part. We can assume the producers view the market as cyclical and the present market situation to be temporary. It makes sense to establish themselves at the high end with increasing competition for the low end. And if the market contracts, they can always adjust down. In the meantime they need to generate profit for future development.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

The only thing you leave out in your calculations is the frustration that you lay on your consumer base.

No, I acknowledge it's frustrating for those of us already in the market. But the manufacturers must view their market as expanding enough to support the changes.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Costs of running the contest? You mean jared looking at his email while hes watching netflix? Please now.

Exactly. The contest is not about the money they make from the SLE. It's about marketing and research.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

80SLE x $15,000 = 1.2 million for 80 games...definitely a cash grab now. A company of this size would definitely like to add $750,000 profit to their bottom line for the year.

Where do you get 80 games? Last I knew it was 30.

In any case, the SLE is only worth 6k each since the buyers would buy the LE if it wasn't there.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

First off, until recently they were using the pre-order model, so they were working with their customer's capital to profit.

I'm talking about the whole market, not just JJP. I have no argument with their business model, and competition is good.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

This is the area of the pinball market most ripe for expansion. Anyone want to start a pinball company focused on value?

Look at the smaller manufacturers out there, and the lower-cost options. Heighway's swappable system, for example. That's the new low end.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Well it started at 30 SLE then Gary had a little radio interview which you can find on their FB page and he said it is now 80. Ok even though I don't necessarily agree with your second line, 80SLE x 6,000= $480,000 of pure profit added to your bottom line for the year.

They do have development costs. But expanding the number just proves they're testing the market.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

How is it good for pinball when an operator has to charge $2 per game to afford to put a new machine out on location?

I'd suggest that the per game cost does need to go up for pinball to be sustainable.

Also, other non-pinball location games commonly cost $15k and up. The prices going up suggests the market is moving to support it.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

If Heighway is the low end the entire market is broken.

Not broken, but fundamentally changing. That's why so many are uncomfortable.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

The development costs on art ok I'll give you that 480,000 minus the 5k development difference from SLE vs LE 475,000 pure profit.

I'm willing to concede they're making money on the SLE at the new limit. But the original run of 30 was pure experiment, which apparently was successful.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

If a $12,000 game showed up at $2 a play I would probably play 3 games on it total. No more.

The future of pinball may be a lot more people playing just a few games. The agony over pricing is mostly about home collectors not being able to afford NIB, which I understand.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

This is crazy talk...It's all greed.

This is an emotional response, which I can sympathize with.

Business is hard, especially in the present environment. Companies need to take profit if they can. If it's not sustainable, it will change.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Home collectors can't afford them
Operators don't want them because it doesn't make sense as a business model
Who's left?

This is my point. There's still a market despite this thinking, so either the market is bigger or the thinking is wrong. Manufacturers will adjust back down if it doesn't work.

#51 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There is no way that a mass market can support these prices. It won't work.

My point is the manufacturers feel confident in exploring the market. That's good. We'll find out if you're right, and the prices will contract. It would be better for the market if that didn't happen.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

As far as non pinball games costing 15k, those games ROI is much shorter then pinballs currently...apples to oranges.

Ops need to find a way to turn pinball apples into non-pinball oranges, price-wise. The market is changing, and the old thinking needs to change too.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Want to know how we already know it's bad for pinball? There were three major games unveiled (Dialed In, Batman '66, Aliens) at Expo this year and the biggest talking point is the price of the games. We're not focused on cost over content. Good job, guys. Way to go.

Definitely not emotional, then.

I get it, but that's not what this thread is about.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

I think everyone will agree that, you don't know.

The numbers don't change the reasoning.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Pinball is already on the low end of the earnings in the coin-op world. Pushers, pool tables, and others all out earn pinball. Raising the price means fewer on location, fewer new players who will someday be collectors.
It's bad for the hobby.

I'd challenge the thinking that pinball needs to go in the same places that have pool tables and coin pushers. The future economic model may not even be about pay per play.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

There is no way that double the "normal" prices can be good for pinball period.

I still say people are thinking too small. The market and industry are changing. That's a good thing. Everyone wants the old business models to keep working--and that's understandable--but they don't, or at least not well enough. The industry needs big changes to move forward.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Why do people feel this combination of entitlement and betrayal when they are priced out of a luxury good? Is it just basic human envy?

Every time someone throws out the "greed" accusation it feels ugly. None of us knows what the books look like inside these companies. And companies need cash to survive and grow.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I would say we are more aware that this product is overpriced and that we are being taken advantage of.

Overpriced compared to what?

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

To what the market will bear.

Time will tell if this is true. We don't know yet, but it's far from conclusive that you're correct.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You would think they would sell for more reasonable prices, so more people buy, you get your name out there more and your products. Nope...greed..greed ...greed.

There's that unfounded accusation again. Unless you have special knowledge of their finances it's just an ugly opinion.

Smaller companies are always hungrier and willing to give away more for less profit. The manufacturers are seeking points of differentiation, including pricing. There's nothing wrong with that. If it doesn't work, they'll change.

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

it's not rocket science to figure out what cost to manufacture is.

I agree with you. Where we disagree, I think, is in your assumption that the cost to manufacture should dictate the sale price.

I don't expect you know what the payments on Stern's new facility are, for example. Or what the terms of JJP's investors are. Those are two big unknowns that deflate the whole greed argument. As a passionate pinball hobbyist I'm confident you want them to survive and make more machines. What if this is the cost of that survival?

There are other points about this cost of production argument, but it's the greed thing that doesn't make sense to me.

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Tron, LOTR, WOZ, you get the idea

Assigning price is all about the present market, not what was done in the past.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

When were paying $3400 shipped to your door for NIB games in less than 8 years ago.

I'd suggest pins were underpriced 8 years ago. If you bought a house 8 years ago and it was worth more now, I imagine you'd sell it for what it was worth today not what you thought it was worth 8 years ago.

I understand the frustration everyone feels about increasing prices, but I'm talking about where the market is at right now.

#101 7 years ago

People keep talking like the manufacturers can never lower prices once they've announced higher prices. If the market can't bear the increase, the prices will go down. The companies are doing nothing wrong by experimenting with price.

The whole thesis of this thread is that the manufacturers feel confident enough to experiment with pricing. That's good news for the industry in general.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Pissing off the majority of you customer base...

Everyone's assuming they represent the majority. It might not be true.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You guys do realize that the OP is Jackazz and a troll right? He's just trying to pull your chain and get people mad.....ignore him.

You might be right about the first part, but I want people to think deeper about the market and would prefer they weren't mad. I don't think being mad is helpful.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

It's kind of ridiculous to equate real estate and pinball in the first place.

Sure, but it's not ridiculous to talk about how market value works.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Sure, they can run up the price, but that lowering in the future won't bring customers flooding back.

This is a thoughtful point. I'm not sure I can see it working that way though. The fact that people are so emotionally invested here suggests they can be pulled back.

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Manufacturers can be pulled back

I meant the potential buyers here are so invested in the products that they can still be won back by lower prices later.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Pins at the location don't earn much. It's mainly a redemption arcade with over 75 machines, and the big earners are the machines that dispense tickets.
So, for operators, prices like these are completely bonkers.

I suspect redemption arcades are the wrong market for pinball, hence the poor performance.

#127 7 years ago

Owners might recall the term, "production overstock closeout".
The games STILL did not sell, at reduced prices (and the games were actually GOOD such NGG, MB, JM, CV, etc) and operators were still unwilling to buy.

Market conditions were very different then. I'd suggest there was low demand and the market was oversaturated. Not sure that applies today.

#128 7 years ago

However, no one can stop the money train of newer collectors until it derails.
We need maximum manufacturer competition to balance pricing in the market

Maybe there are more new collectors than we realize. That would be great news. No need for it to derail.

We definitely need at least two major manufacturers, agreed. I expect some of the smaller ones won't make it long term, but time will tell. Lots of positive things are happening in that space.

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Most arcades that I'm aware of in the area are mainly focused on redemption. I haven't seen an actual video arcade in years.
People tend to feed dollar after dollar into games that spit out tickets. With pins, usually it's just one game, and they're done.

Arcades in general are child-oriented. You don't have to be a child to go to one, but as a market they're perceived as a place for kids. I don't believe the future of pinball lies in arcades as we've known them.

In barcades pinball seems to be used as a loss-leader to sell alcohol. That's fairly innovative, and a more targeted on-market placement for pinball.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

competition is suppose to lower prices. Not a contest to see who can charge more.

So far the market is following a normal trend: The industry leaders are finding the price ceiling. It will stabilize or adjust down as the market changes.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I still don't know why pins don't have the option to dispense tickets.

The option exists, it's just not popular. My impression is it doesn't add enough draw to make a difference in a redemption arcade. Those that have tried it are welcome to correct me.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from balboarules:

Pretty sure Chuck E Cheese is not going to buy a 9000 machine for their locations, Dave and Busters do not have pinball, and I am sure 9K is not going to get them there, and besides how many kids know what Batman 66 is even about?

Exactly right. It would be reasonable for D&B to try pinball, but Chuck e Cheese would be mistaken to do so. Wrong market.

#141 7 years ago

Stern spends a lot of time and attention on the themes they select. What they do tells you who they think their market is. It's not kids.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'd bet good money Stern could easily drop PRO prices back down to the $4300 range

The cost of production doesn't dictate the market value.

Pinside collectors all assume they represent the majority of the market. They probably don't.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

The market is ripe for a company that can make nice NIB pins for under 5k...Someone needs to attempt it

There are plenty of small manufacturers already making their best attempts. They'd be wise to charge what they can at the production numbers they can manage.

The startup costs for manufacturing are too high for this to be an attractive market for very many players. This probably can't happen until a Chinese-American or European with dual-citizenship and great business acumen decides to establish a pinball company in China.

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

Why shouldn't this be emotional -- isn't this why we buy pinballs in the first place? Isn't this why we're spending late nights debating pinballs on pinside?

I agree, emotion is part of how markets work.

There seem to be plenty of threads available for discussing the emotional side of it.

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

And the fault of these prices is from the people that buy at these prices. Just say no to a 15k pin. It's absurd!!

It seems unhelpful to get upset about how markets work. The markets won't change.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from JonH123:

Fewer games sold for higher prices gives them a higher profit margin and leaves fewer games for resale in the used market later on.

True. But the question remains:. Is the market for pinball getting bigger as more people gain interest? That would be ideal. How do we find out?

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The harder your per transaction sale is... or the less number of buyers you have... the more risky your sales

All true, but how do we know the market is shrinking? They may be tapping into a previously underserved high end market.

Or, there might be a lot of first-time buyers that are invisible to Pinside. I know plenty of people that think pinball is cool but would never sign up on a website to talk about it.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

I get upset because my beloved hobby is turning into an elite hobby. Something for the rich.

True, if the hobby for you is only about NIB. Personally I enjoy the older pins as much or more.

It's far from certain yet that this is where the market will stay. But if it does, there should be room for everyone in the used market for a long time to come.

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

You're treating this so god-damned rationally (or so you think anyway) like it's just another manufactured item, and it's just business as usual.
What your logic doesn't encompass is that it's personal to me and based on last few weeks' reactions it's personal to a whole load of people. Logic needn't apply here.

I love this exchange because I did in fact try to emulate Spock when I was young, and you sound so much like Dr. McCoy here.

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And what about higher prices (alone) expands the market? They haven't done anything different, just raised prices 30+%. The channels, the marketing, the exposure... all the same.
The only thing that has happened has been raising ASPs while thinning their buyers.

You may be right, but we don't know. Pricing is funny, especially with luxury goods. With luxury goods you can, in fact create a new market by charging more.

#181 7 years ago

For some luxury buyers, an exclusive price is exactly what tells them it's for them. The product doesn't need to be any better, it just needs to FEEL better.

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

How is this good for pinball?

Its good if higher price means the demand has gone up. More people interested in pinball is always good.

I think the market is expanding. There are a lot of people here that seem to think it's shrinking. The despair about prices only makes sense if they are correct and the total market is contracting.

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

I'm not an economy specialist but I always heard these kind of stuff in college:
demand goes up ---> prices fall down
production goes up ---> prices fall down

That's really only true in the long term, and only in markets for commodities (things that everyone needs and there are lots of options).

#192 7 years ago

So here are some interesting statistics:

According to IPDB, about 1.1 million pinball machines have been produced since 1980. I don't think that includes Stern's numbers, since they don't publish any. A lot of machines are long gone, but let's be generous and say Stern has made up the difference and there are still a million Solid State machines in circulation.

According to Pew Research, about 16% of the world's 7 billion population is upper-middle or upper-income. These would be the target market for luxury goods such as collectible pinball machines. That's over a billion people.

So there's roughly one solid-state pinball machine per 1,000 people worldwide in the target collector market. That looks like a deficit to me. I think the price increases are pure supply-and-demand: Demand is going up and suppliers can't produce more yet.

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

One major flaw in your numbers, however, is you assume that all 1 billion people are interested in pinball. I suspect less than 1% of this group has any interest in the hobby.

Of course. I'm not representing this as a perfect picture. I'd say the market for just one machine (not a "collector") is probably bigger. Also, the market for NIB is vastly bigger, since casual purchasers want NIB with a known business that provides support.

I'm not assuming all one billion are going to buy a pin. But markets are evaluated in terms of potential buyers. I'm sure Stern has run similar numbers, broken down by race, gender, geography, and income levels.

Even assuming 0.5% of a billion are interested, that leaves 1 (old) pinball machine for every 5 that are interested. That's a big market.

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

Well lets explore this in a little more detail. Please correct me if you think I am wrong anywhere
10000000 - People interested in pinball (1 percent or 10 million of your initial 1 billion number)
100000 - But only another 1 percent have a wife that lets them buy a pinball machine!
20000 - Of this group, only 20% have room for another machine!
2000 - Of people with space, only 1 percent (2000 people) are new to the hobby altogether and have not seen the horrendous price increases over the last 10 years. This is the target group that thinks 12K+ USD for a pinball machine is the norm.

Nah, once we start guessing at numbers we can come to any conclusion we want. But it seems pretty clear there's a large potential market. It wouldn't take much increase in pinball awareness to create a substantial uptick in the market.

Aren't we seeing more pinball references in pop culture the last few years? Sure seems like it.

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Still a market?
Way to early to say this. These aren't one and done products.... theses companies have to repeatedly sell to that same niche market.

This is the opposite of what I think is happening.

If you're right, then the market is dying and pricing won't save it one way or the other.

Personally I believe it's growing.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The interest in pinball is 20% of what it was in 2004. Easily provable by google trends.

I agree, that's interesting. I like the hard data. I don't know what it means.

It doesn't explain the proliferation of new manufacturers, though. Or Stern's investment in a larger production facility, for example.

A couple of thoughts:

- the trend for "pinball" is up from a year ago

- I'm not sure how correlated keyword searches is with luxury purchases. "Rolex" for example is also down sharply.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from nudge:

Well stated...yes, there is the business side as we can all agree on...however pinball enthusiasts will always have an emotional side...why else are we all here on Pinside...Without the bad emotions we cannot truly appreciate the good ones!

Completely agreed. But I do think the emotions surrounding NIB pricing is clouding the thinking about what it means for the market. Personally, I want to talk about whether the market is growing or shrinking. Why does everyone seem to think it's shrinking?

For the record, I personally do not think there is any future in location pinball AS IT HAS BEEN IN THE PAST. Pinball is never going to start making sense in redemption or video arcades. That era is over. A lot of folks seem to hope it's going to come back that way; I don't believe it can.

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from tl54hill:

Rising prices for NIB machines is only good for the hobby as long as used machines keep dropping in value as they age.

See my earlier post about how many pinball machines are left in the world. We're making new people a lot faster than new machines.

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

We're making people faster than typewriters too. So what?

I think you need to explain why the pinball market is obsolete for that to make sense.

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I don't think the OP has proven that "increasing prices are good for pinball"...high prices also indicate a lack of supply and competition.

I like your comment a lot, and agree pretty much 100%. I think demand is up and they can't increase production much more, so we're getting higher prices. Long term I expect it to change. At the current price point more manufacturers can succeed on the low end, so competition and some downward adjustment is inevitable.

#220 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Those increases will reverse as available money shrinks. Just watch the classifieds... lots of used games dropping in price or priced more aggressively

This is only true long-term if the market size is fixed or shrinking. How do we know it is?

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

I think you need to explain why interest in pinball rises proportionally with the population.

This isn't what I said. I said the population is increasing and so is awareness. That makes a reasonable case for increased demand, and that does in fact explain the price increases if the supply can't increase in the short term.

If you can make a case for the market getting smaller, please do so.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

The thread made refuting this topic actually makes sense.
Rising prices do not equate to greater demand. They show a bubble. Rising real estate prices brought about a huge economic decline we have yet to crawl out of.
The question is when this bubble busts. Greed is not good for pinball.

I don't find anything compelling in this argument. It might be a bubble, but all I see is people declaring that it's a bubble because they say so. Where's the case for it being a bubble? To decide if it is a bubble, we need to isolate what the market looks like. That's all I want to do.

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

You imply awareness increases with population growth which is flawed reasoning.
It is not a reasonable case because pinball is increasingly priced in a matter that appeals to older population segments. Not to mention the themes reflecting this.
You have made no case and frankly only someone drunk on pinball or just drunk in general thinks 12.5k and 15k machines are good for pinball. As if some 50 million dollar mansion is good for everyone, right?

It's not flawed just because you say it is. You have to make a case.

I agree that pinball is generally marketed to older people with higher incomes right now.

You're over-generalizing what I'm trying to say: Higher prices right now reflect increased demand, which overall is good. I acknowledge openly that 10k plus for a machine sucks as a buyer and changes the market.

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Prices increasing does not always mean demand exceeding supply.. it can simply be capitalizing on willingness to pay.

I agree with your post. I'm not saying I'm completely right, and everyone else is wrong, but I am saying there's as much evidence of increased demand as there is for a bubble or profiteering. No one's made a really compelling case either way (including me). I like that comments like yours are getting more thoughtful about it.

#234 7 years ago

I guess it's just received wisdom that the manufacturers are artificially limiting production. No evidence needed.

I'd love to know how so many people are absolutely certain of something for which they have no facts. Did the manufacturers start publishing production numbers while I wasn't looking?

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Ha! OK.
Manufacturers purposefully making less product (with added "features" so it can be marketed as a "collectable") to create a demand bubble at a higher price point that attracts an influx of speculators...how could that be bad for any product?

You're talking about the LE/SLE/super-whatever model, which I agree is an artificial limit to differentiate their product. That's normal business practice, which you'd find in a lot of other industries as well (such as consumer electronics, appliances, etc). For example, it's common practice for manufacturers to create a "super deluxe" version of their product at a crazy high price. They don't expect anyone to buy it. It's purpose is to establish the price range, so their normal-priced products appear more like a bargain. This is called anchoring (look it up!). The practice is unusually visible in this industry, and that's the only difference.

When I say we don't know what the production numbers look like, I mean we don't know how many total pins are going out the door, or whether the numbers are going up or down. That's a fact. I welcome being corrected.

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

The overall pinball market is shrinking at a steady rate and anyone in this hobby can see that with their own eyes, it's glaringly obvious when you walk in your local arcade

This is not evidence of a shrinking market. This is evidence of the decline of location gaming, which is real and not controversial.

How do you know there aren't more people buying pins for in-home use?

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

if the casual/regular arcade user is not interested or gripped enough by a pin to drop a dollar/euro/pound for a game or two, then I don't see these same people being gripped enough to go out and buy a 9k pin,

They aren't the same people. Its hard to visualize, I know, but you can't gauge the size of the market by how people respond to pinball in public.

#254 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Most of us that are smart with our money won't pay 8k for any game. Old or new.

If "being smart" with money means investing for financial returns, I guess I'm not sure why anyone would buy pinball at all.

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

the 90% regular joes like myself who love pinball but are priced out will not come back to the fold so easily.

Smaller producers will fill the gap for less expensive machines.

Maybe this is heresy, but I think Stern is the manufacturer most at risk in the new competitive landscape. They're getting squeezed between JJP--which produces actual higher end machines with more features--and the boutique producers. Plus they just invested in a big new facility, which can't be cheap to pay off.

#261 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

JJP is the fragile new company. If people stop buying because of his bullshit pricing. JJP will be the one not to survive it. He's the cause of all this massive profit margin crap anyway.

See, it's this position that doesn't make sense to me.

JJP is actually producing high end machines, but at relatively small volume. Stern seems to be producing better but less advanced machines but charging just as much, and at high(er) volume.

JJP is in a strong position in the market. Stern is the one with market share to lose, and they're getting hit from both the low and high end of the market simultaneously.

Blaming JJP for what you don't like about the state of the market is just bewildering.

#264 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And JJP is the sole reason the market is like it is. Apprently you were not around when WOZ was announced. When Jack announced WOZ at a $6500 preorder price. Stern was like....We can charge that much and people still buy? So stern raised their price but kept under jack. Then jack raised to $7500 for WOZ. Stern followed suit. and so on. So tell me again how JJP isn't the reason all the prices of shit are through the roof?

I was there when JJP started and own a WOZ.

From your description it sure sounds like Stern is who you should be mad at, if being mad at anyone makes sense.

#268 7 years ago

I started this thread hoping to have a good discussion about the market. I sincerely did not want a "debate", or to upset anyone.

I'm realizing now that Pinside is a poor forum for this kind of discussion. I take full responsibility--I usually don't participate in the forums and didn't realize what I was getting into.

Best wishes to all.

#271 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I dont blame you for bowing out, the whole discussion was pointless, any fool knows increasing prices is not good for pinball.

You said it.

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from pinworthy:

I think your only mistake is the title

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. The title created a magnet for people's anger about the subject. Ironically some of the better comments have appeared in the "terrible" thread.

Lesson learned.

#290 7 years ago
Quoted from atwong:

What I can't understand is...next things you know, everyone wants to pile in

In hindsight I really should have known that money is too closely bound to people's passions to be discussed rationally in a public forum. Pinside is already famous for the price police, after all.

And I probably could've done a better job with the title and how I introduced the subject. The timing was wrong too: Better to wait for people to cool down after Expo.

But, I have the same weakness as everyone else: I tend to think other people work the way I do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brundaged.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/increasing-prices-good-for-pinball?tu=brundaged and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.