(Topic ID: 254325)

Increasing flipper strength recommendations?

By EdHess

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by EdHess
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FlipperCoilWiring (resized).jpg
7C67409A-4CE0-453D-85EF-985419CE2819 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EdHess.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Have a fully restored Xenon That I’e done everything imaginable to make it like new. One thing that still bugs me is flipper strength. It seems like as time went on comparing age of machines flipper strengths have increased. My Bally Truck Stop seems to have slighter stronger flippers, and my Ghostbusters pro seems to have even more flipper strength.

Xenon had new flipper coils, stops, sleeves, and End of stroke switches, coil sleeves. Adjusted the switches so they dont open until just the very end of fill flipper stroke. 6.5 degree playfield angle measured on the playfield not the cabinet. Cabinet switches are clean also. They still seem like they are missing something compared to the other machines. Just feel like they need a bit more.

Recommendation for a coil with a bit more power upgrade?
Or just accept it and leave it alone? I think i saw a table depicting various coil strength someplace but until I stumble into it again... You thoughts?

7C67409A-4CE0-453D-85EF-985419CE2819 (resized).jpeg7C67409A-4CE0-453D-85EF-985419CE2819 (resized).jpeg
#3 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can you rip the spinner? Make the ramp shot? Hit the drops down? If yes to all three, leave it.

Hmm, yes I can do all that... just seems like it needs a bit more compared to my other machines. It’s not the ability to make those shots, albeit not always. Like a ramp shot that doesn’t make it all the way and rolls back down.
But compared too other machines the flippers are not as strong. Is this the way technology and flipper power progressed overtime?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeewiz13:

I'm assuming you have aq-25-500/34-4500 in there. That is a pretty strong coil as it is. You might be able to squeeve in a Stern j-25-475/34-4500 without the spring washer.
A-24-570/35-3600 may be stronger but I don't have one to ohm out. Those might be the 2 choices you have.

Yes the installed coils are the aq-25-500/34-4500.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. Your other option is put updated flipper mech in there with extension springs instead of compression springs. That will give them more snap. Also make sure the EOS switches are making good contact when the flipper is at rest. Test with a meter.

Never heard of this. Extension vs compression springs?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Are they linear flippers on that game? If so might want to downgrade

Mine are not linear flippers

#12 4 years ago

Deleted response.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeewiz13:

I'm assuming you have aq-25-500/34-4500 in there. That is a pretty strong coil as it is. You might be able to squeeve in a Stern j-25-475/34-4500 without the spring washer.
A-24-570/35-3600 may be stronger but I don't have one to ohm out. Those might be the 2 choices you have.

Going to try both of these... the second one is also used in truck stop so if nothing else It goes into my spare parts organizer box for truck stop.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

I’ve tried both and left the linear flippers in. May switch back to the old style which I prefer.

Do the linear feel stronger?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Have you tried filing the EOS and cab switches? Just to be sure, are the games circuit boards new or original? Have the flipper power and ground connectors been replaced (male and female)? I imagine all of this stuff has been tried, but just want to be sure.

Boards and connectors are new.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm guessing by the looks of this "machine" leaving things well enough alone isn't the OP's wheelhouse

The Pursuit Of Perfection

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Made the games much more modern feeling and exciting.

This is exactly what I’ve been trying to do on this... Well Said!

#27 4 years ago

Thank you. Those were exactly what I had seen before. Now I have the reference I need. Way to go!

#38 4 years ago

Surprised at all the interest in this... When I asked the original question I had no idea that others would be so interested in this also. glad I could finally give back here on pinside.

#39 4 years ago

Just installed the Stern j-25-475/34-4500 coils without the spring washer. No tangible difference.

#40 4 years ago

I wonder... My Big Betty’s Truck Stop has oem Williams for the lower flippers and Bally linear flippers for the uppers. Wondering if I can take one of my spare Williams setups and install it if voltages are the same. Gotta go do some reading. But since I want it to work like the Williams setup might as well try to see if I can put the Williams stuff into it.

#46 4 years ago

Based on what I think I understand here: I should have seen a difference. The solenoid driver board I upgraded to altek. The original rectifier and power transformer are still in the unit. Perhaps I need to get out my meter and do some testing to be sure I have true 43v. Unfortunately my idea above about swapping in williams units may be a problem as they require 50v.

I do not have linear flippers in this.

Can anyone that did this tell me if they saw a big difference or was it subtle when they went to the stern coils like I just tried?

One way or another I'm going to make this work...

#47 4 years ago

When I bought this machine it had some hacked up wiring in the gi and feature lighting circuits, they were tied together! So I have to wonder.

There is one extra brown wire on the left solenoid than the right. Anyone have photos showing wiring to the coils I can compare to.

3 weeks later
#53 4 years ago

I installed the stern coils recommended earlier in this thread. One failed and started popping the f4 fuse after a bit of use. Put the old coil back in on that side. the other stern remains.I do not see a difference between the two part numbers

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

I installed the 24-570/34-3600 coils in an Elektra today. Transformed the pin. They are noticeably stronger but not enough to break stuff. I jacked up the rear of the machine nearly to the max to increase the slope and the flippers have plenty of power to make all of the shots. A much needed improvement in the pace of game play on this pin.
Note that you MUST have clean EOS and flipper switches.

I will have to try these since one of the Stern pair I swapped in failed after showing no improvement. Actually already bought them. Thanks for testing!

#56 4 years ago

Just installed the 24-570/34-3600 coils. Testing them and 3 times the right flipper made the tube shot. Dont think I ever saw that with any of the coils I tried. As far as I am concerned if you want stronger flippers and you have done everything else possible these coils are the ones to use.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 199.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Machine - For Sale
Cape Coral, FL
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EdHess.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/increasing-flipper-strength-recommendations?tu=EdHess and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.