• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Shangri-La-Bumper-Work-01 (resized).jpg
0Shangri-La-Bumper-DC-Work-EN (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Just got my first ever game back. It’s dipsy doodle and has a cluster of 5 pops up top. I’d like to maximize their power if I could. They are plenty sensitive, but want to add more kick.

Any tricks I can try? I believe the game is on high tap already (could use a refresher to check that too)

Thanks!

#2 6 years ago

Have you rebuilt them with a kit from PBR? It does make a difference.

Ensure the power switches on the bumper relay are clean/filed and making good flush contact.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Have you rebuilt them with a kit from PBR?

I have not. Nor do I think the previous owner has. I will try cleaning the relay power contacts first then go from there.

Thanks!

#4 6 years ago

Easy, cheap start: make sure the rods that go thru the pf move smoothly. Sometimes they catch a bit.

#5 6 years ago

Polish plungers and replace coil sleeves.

#6 6 years ago

Polish the rod & ring to a mirror finish, wax, get out of the way.

#7 6 years ago

Upon visual inspection they could use a good cleaning at least, probably rebuild. I’ll look into the kits from pbr.

#8 6 years ago

Refit them with 11629 flipper coils. That should do the trick!

#9 6 years ago

Actually the more I play this the more I might keep it the way it is. If you time you budges right you can get the pops to put your ball back in the top saucer where all the awards are. Or I might make some of them kick like mules and not the ones that feed the top saucer. Hmmmm.

#10 6 years ago

Hi chuckwurt
IF (if, if) nothing else helps: We may talk about "what I did to my Shangri La". Cleaning switches and setting to High Tap did not help --- but cheating - making the bumpers to run on DC did help - the bumper-action changed from "lame" to "lively".

Your Dipsy Doodle runs the bumpers (as Shangri La) on AC. See the first JPG --- on top the wiring on rather modern Williams - ONE rectifier in the modern pin and the wiring "DC to all the bumpers".

I did NOT want to "heavy alter" the wiring in my pin - so I choosed the solution "ONE rectifier for ONE bumper" - so I made me four rectifiers (for the four bumpers in the Shangri La). In the lower part of the first JPG I show the solution on "Top Center Jet Bumper" --- see "my green dots" and "my red dots". I CUT the two wires to the Coil - mounted male and female plugs on each side (I can plug them together on both sides and have the bumper "on AC as before" --- but I sneaked-in my rectifier. See the second JPG - playfield lifted --- hanging on the wires / plugs: The ONE rectifier for the ONE Bumper.

Again - if nothing else helps: We may talk about "changing each bumper on its own to DC". Greetings Rolf

0Shangri-La-Bumper-DC-Work-EN (resized).jpg0Shangri-La-Bumper-DC-Work-EN (resized).jpg

0Shangri-La-Bumper-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Shangri-La-Bumper-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

I have removed 3 winding layers from coils for max performance. Removing more than 3 layers of windings could make the coil look like a short.

#12 6 years ago

I used to own a Doodle Bug where I thought the jet bumpers were a little sluggish. Williams did not switch to DC power for the bumpers and slings until a year or two later. At the least, replace all the coil sleeves with new (plastic) parts and wax the ring and the plastic skirt. That often helps a good bit.

You can always try switching the transformer to high tap as that is easily reversible and you can see how it plays.

#13 6 years ago

I'll 2nd Rolf's recommendation and in the 2nd post in this thread it will show you the easy way to do it...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/converting-em-flipperrelay-coils-from-ac-to-dc

I like this better than unwinding the coil because it is completely reversible.

#14 6 years ago

I have done this to all of my machines, as others have suggested, rebuild the the pops. I clean all parts, sand plungers starting with 800, 1000, 1500, 2000. Does not take that long, but when dealing with 5 pops it can feel like it. Order all new parts for the pop (except the cap) New springs from PBR also help. Don't forget to order new light sockets. My rebuild pops on my '64 River Boat blow people away on play factor. Don't rush a restoration. You will be happy in the end.

#15 6 years ago

The condition of the playfield below the pop bumpers can also make a difference. If there are adhesive mylar protectors around the pop bumpers, make sure the mylar is clean and in good condition. Novus 2 works good for cleaning mylar. If you have non-adhesive mylar around the pop bumpers, remove the mylar, clean that area of the playfield and put a few coats of carnauba wax around the pop bumpers. Without the mylar, the performance of the pop bumpers is greatly improved...

#16 6 years ago

I had the same issue with my EM. Had one pop that was weaker than the rest. Was going to order parts and rebuild, but the guy at PBR talked me out of it saying that it probably wouldn't help. Turned out to be a relay issue. Cold/broken solder joint. Fixed it and now the game is twice as hard because the ball is-a-poppin!

#17 6 years ago

Lots of awesome stuff to try. Thanks so much everyone!

#18 6 years ago

It's pretty easy to unsolder the coil wire and remove a few turns to give the coil more power. Just don't go too far.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

I have removed 3 winding layers from coils for max performance. Removing more than 3 layers of windings could make the coil look like a short.

It will act like a short too!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/increase-the-strength-of-pop-bumpers?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.