7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by hisokajp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

coil + diode.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hisokajp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi there,
    My LOTR coil are pretty busted, so much so that the sleeve is "fused" inside and can't be removed... Coming from a routed Italy container game. While I get new ones I have a pair of spare RBION coil but the P/N is different.

LOTR: 090-5020-2OT
    RBION: 090-5032-OT

Reading http://www.pinballmedic.net/coil_chart.html I understand that the RBION coil have more winding (22 - 1080) compare to the LOTR (22 - 900) making them weaker.
    Could I just remove some winding of the RBION coil and use them as replacement? 17% of the winding is the correct math (how much inches/feet is that)?

Can I check the resistance with a multimeter between the 2 coils and see if they match to make sure they are the same strength as the LOTR one?

#3 7 years ago

thanks, I did remove quite a bit of winding from the coil but the resistance went up? My previous LOTR coild were at 5.2 Ohms while the RBION coil were at 6 Ohms. Which I thought makade sense since there was about 20 more winding.
    However, upon removing winding on the RBION coil, instead of getting closer to the LOTR coil it went up to 6.5-7 Ohms...? Less winding means high Ohms reading? If that is the case why are the LOTR coil lower?

I understand getting coils is the right way to do it, just curious

#5 7 years ago

yeah I left the diode in between all the testing? It's interesting, I m just not sure how to know if I took out enough winding?

#7 7 years ago

thanks interesting stuff. I may just end up going the easier route and get new factory LOTR coil since I can't be sure my "upgraded" RBION strength would be similar but it's a good topic

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hisokajp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/increase-coil-strenght?tu=hisokajp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.