(Topic ID: 259372)

Inconsistent VUK Kickouts - Ideas For Solutions?

By EaglePin

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by EaglePin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3E7D8B1B-3B7B-472C-8FC2-6F3F316C15F8 (resized).jpeg
E4AC8674-3758-4C96-B6B8-A4E43827A9B8 (resized).jpeg
5AC3A645-76DC-4C94-8415-22F9D294C826 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Usually on saucer holes, the tiny tabs are worn down, causing the ball to sit unevenly. I have seen operators grind the metal kicking arm, put tape or foam on the end
VUK can be the same, worn parts, misalignment when it is exiting, hitting another playfield part.

That would make sense, as these VUK inconsistencies seem to have developed over time on my POTC.

#9 4 years ago

Things I've tried that didn't work:

• Replacing coil sleeve
• Turning VUK power up or down

I do suspect the problem is somehow wear-related, as it didn't do this when new and developed the issue over time.

My problem is I-lane drains on POTC where the ball hits the gate as if it's a wall, then drops down I. When I manipulate the gate by hand it moves freely, but I haven't (yet) ruled out some kind of weirdness where the ball hits it at an angle causing a brief jam against the lane guide or something.

1 week later
#12 4 years ago

Well I think I jumped the gun declaring victory on my Depths I-Lane drain.

It looks like the ball is rattling down the lane.

What I've done:

- Played with VUK power. Lower definitely improves it, but too low is its own problem as balls get stuck.
- Replaced the coil sleeve
- Cleaned the plunger, tip and landing pad

What I haven't yet tried:

- Bending the Depths scoop so the ball has a smoother trajectory onto the playfield
- Adjust the ball guide up or down (hesitant to do this since any non-VUK entrance to the lane flows perfectly.)

If anyone else has ideas, throw them out there. Ideally I want to be able to run the VUK at the designed power of 14.

#14 4 years ago

I did some more thinking and experimenting.

What do we know about the problem?

Fact: The only time it fails is when the VUK chucks it down the lane. Normal entry to the lane always works.
Fact: This issue is somehow wear related, as it doesn’t happen initially and develops over time.
Fact: The nature of the failure is not the gate, but a bounce up into the guard above it.

I’ve replaced the coil sleeve and can eliminate coil wear. So what else could wear here over time?

Hypothesis 1: The lane guide shifts itself out of position over time. I was able to disprove this one, as there really isn’t much play at all. Only a very, very tiny amount. Adjustments here were inconsequential.

Hypothesis 2: The guard over the Depths VUK bends itself upward over time, causing balls to exit airborne and bounce down the lane rather than rolling smoothly.

I bent the guard down a bit and so far things are looking good - I played for about an hour without any VUK drains.

Fingers crossed this puts it to bed.

2 weeks later
#17 4 years ago

I'm still working on this problem.

Gently bending the scoop up or down didn't seem to help much, so add that to the list of things that don't work.

I'm now trying a cabinet bumper on the plunger rest for the VUK. This seemed like a cleaner and less hacky solution than the duct tape thing for reducing plunger travel.

I am currently running the VUK kickout at 13 - 1 down from default, and I don't want to go any lower. Honestly I'd like to find a way to keep it at 14, as multiple sunk balls can get stuck and end your game when it's too low.

So far this is working "ok", I have about 90% success rate out of the Depths, but I don't feel great that the issue is resolved.

It's got to be something wear-related, as I don't recall having this problem on new machines...only after time.

I agree with KornFreak28 that the corner of that lane guide is creating a bounce point for the ball. I'd rather not file that away, at least not without having a backup copy of the part first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphX.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/inconsistent-vuk-kickouts-ideas-for-solutions?tu=zaphX and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.