3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Bizzenya
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm a big fan of pinball, but won't be able to afford a machine for a year or two, so I am limited to location play.

Most locations around here have a few Stern pros and no code updates, ever. So whatever it ships with is what you get and it has really soured me on playing Sterns out in the wild (unless I am in Portland where they have awesome operators who keep the machines in great condition and update the code within a week of its release). The release code is enough to have fun for a few games, but after that I don't feel the any draw towards these machines even months later. I'd much rather play a B/W game with a wizard mode to shoot for.

There has been a lot of positive buzz around TWD recently due to recent code updates. I have played the game a few times at 4 different locations and it was underwhelming every time. Only one of the machines ever got code updates and I only played it when it was first released. It feels like a really stripped down 24. Apparently the code changes that, but not for me

On a positive note, GOT feels fleshed out enough to be fun to play in its unfinished state, but would get stale if there was one near by.

For the casual player, the release code is fine. But for the enthusiast, it gets old fast. How are we going to draw more people into the hobby, when the games out in the wild are so shallow?

One of my favorite pinball memories growing up was playing TAF at an arcade with my dad. We always wondered what would happen if you lit all the mansion inserts and on one amazing ball my dad did it and started the mansion tour. It blew our minds and that experience stuck with me and made me a pinball fan.

#2 3 years ago

talk to the people running the business or if there is any info on the apron to call the operator and let him know there is new code out and it is super easy to install and maybe it'll happen. wont if you dont try tho!

#3 3 years ago

This brings up the issue of whom is paying for game plays on location, the casual vs. the enthusiast.
    Xmen original code soured me on the game, and I didn't want to play it anymore. But would I have spent more monies than a casual player dumping in?

#4 3 years ago

I like this post so much I used the crappy new multiplier system to give you a star.

Signed,
    Guy who plays Walking Dead on old code and has no idea why anyone likes that game.

#5 3 years ago

I always keep my games updated but to be honest, it has no real impact on the cash box. You would think there would be but the Pinball community is still growing. Casual players are what make up most of the income. With that, I do feel ya, I always keep my games I have on location clean, working, and current code.

We have a large operator here that has a policy not to update code on games. Its not worth their time sending techs to update games.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bizzenya:

On a positive note, GOT feels fleshed out enough to be fun to play in its unfinished state, but would get stale if there was one near by.

You're assuming this game is unfinished. As far as we can tell everything is in this game and there is only some polish coming.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

I always keep my games updated but to be honest, it has no real impact on the cash box. You would think there would be but the Pinball community is still growing. Casual players are what make up most of the income. With that, I do feel ya, I always keep my games I have on location clean, working, and current code.
    We have a large operator here that has a policy not to update code on games. Its not worth their time sending techs to update games.

I would not expect them to cone out just to update code, but they could update it during a device call. Does not take that much time

#8 3 years ago

Got time to collect the cash.

#9 3 years ago

yup, I agree with you. Time is money for them. We asked for months and months. literally will not. they actually have a policy in place.

#10 3 years ago

Location play is almost always less-than-great. Incomplete code is only one of many obstacles. If an operator cares enough to keep the machines playing fast and 100%, then I'm sure it won't take much to convince them to update the code. OTOH, if the operator has bigger fish to fry (in terms of maintenance), then updating the code probably won't get much attention.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from policano:

yup, I agree with you. Time is money for them. We asked for months and months. literally will not. they actually have a policy in place.

Maybe one of their techs tried an update and crashed the whole game. OK, no more of that foolishness!

#12 3 years ago

Couldn't agree more. Local ACDC Premium is at V1.52 - 5 updates ago! Last updated 2012. No VIP passes. Have emailed operator several times, he has said will do it but never does. I have now boycotted that machine until it gets updated. Am going to leave a Sticky reminder note on the coin door next time I go there.

#13 3 years ago

This is a non-issue. It's smart for Stern to ship these games and finish code as they go.

Anybody remember Star Trek: the early days? That game had BARE BONES code compared to now. it even had a half-ass "wizard mode" that no longer exists (I think you were supposed to make 10 consecutive ramps shots in a two ball multiball or something?

This formula seems to work for Stern now. The lame early code didn't keep me from putting money into star trek and it was addressed pretty quickly.

It's true that B/W stuff shipped with complete code, but it was a MUCH bigger pain in the ass to update code on location back then.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bizzenya:

I'm a big fan of pinball, but won't be able to afford a machine for a year or two, so I am limited to location play.
    Most locations around here have a few Stern pros and no code updates, ever. So whatever it ships with is what you get and it has really soured me on playing Sterns out in the wild (unless I am in Portland where they have awesome operators who keep the machines in great condition and update the code within a week of its release). The release code is enough to have fun for a few games, but after that I don't feel the any draw towards these machines even months later. I'd much rather play a B/W game with a wizard mode to shoot for.

If you can get a hold of the operator, explain that updating code will improve his cash box. Each time new code drops in our area, people go out to play it and try out the changes. It creates a small resurgence in interest in games which have been out for awhile.

A couple guys who played Walking Dead when it came out quickly lost interest. Last time I saw them, that's all they wanted to play citing the changes to the code.

#15 3 years ago

You just got to keep bugging your local ops. I call and email them and offer to meet them at the site with a thumb drive to help them update.

I keep a couple thumb drives loaded and ready to go on my key chain for the instances that I actually see ops while I'm playing. They are appreciative of the help and I make sure to stress how much updated code makes a difference and how I'm likely to play much more often on an updated game

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

You're assuming this game is unfinished. As far as we can tell everything is in this game and there is only some polish coming.

That is interesting, I've only played it for about an hour so my impressions on it are fairly limited. Glad to hear it is so fleshed out!

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is a non-issue. It's smart for Stern to ship these games and finish code as they go.
    Anybody remember Star Trek: the early days? That game had BARE BONES code compared to now. it even had a half-ass "wizard mode" that no longer exists (I think you were supposed to make 10 consecutive ramps shots in a two ball multiball or something?
    This formula seems to work for Stern now. The lame early code didn't keep me from putting money into Star Trek and it was addressed pretty quickly.
    It's true that B/W stuff shipped with complete code, but it was a MUCH bigger pain in the ass to update code on location back then.

For the machines I have seen, the code hasn't been updated or addressed. In big cities there are a lot more operators and they are more responsive, but in smaller towns you don't get any of that. You get duck taped together Twilight Zones, a Theater of Magic with a trunk that doesn't spin and Star Treks and The Walking Deads that haven't been updated since they were purchased.

I totally get why Stern has taken this approach, but I hope now that pinball is increasing in popularity (and sales?) they will be able to get more complete code into their games so those games are still fun to play 5 years down the line when they still haven't been updated at the pizza places, bowling alleys and bars they inhabit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 229.99
    $ 94.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 6.95
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 82.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside