(Topic ID: 15655)

Incoming Gorgar NOS Playfield, Clearcoat?

By pinster68

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by JohnDelNJ
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I located an NOS playfield for my Gorgar and it's on it's way to me. I was thinking of having it clear coated and wanted recommendations on who can do the job. Never sent a pf out for service. Anyone with recommendations for the best quality and turn-around time?

If I had it my way I sent it to HEP, but I think Chris rarely takes PF jobs.

Thanks,

Brian

#2 11 years ago

I've never had a PF coated, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Ron Kruzman. Search his name on RGP- TONS of recommendations to use his services.

#3 11 years ago

You could always do it yourself using varathane. Makes the playfield nice and shiny and protects well...and you can do it yourself and it will be ready to install in a few days...not months if you send it out.

The hardest part about "clearing" is removing all the crap and getting the surface clean.

Doesn't seem like that's going to be a problem, as you're getting a NOS field.

Robert

#4 11 years ago

Heard great things about Ron Kruzman also, back when I was looking at getting a Paragon pf restored.

#5 11 years ago

I'd also be interested in a recommendation. I have a (new) pf I'm going to have cleared as well, but looking to understand the difference in pf clearcoating vs, say, auto clearcoating. Aside from the difference in material the clear has to bond to ("painted" wood rather than painted metal) are there any other considerations as to how it's coated? There are a lot of old school auto painters around here (the kind that still hand sand layers of clear on a car) with beautiful results as well as the equipment. So I'm wondering what issues I might run into with having one of them do it - besides the really odd looks when I first bring it to them. "Why you wanna clear that perdy piece of wood?"

#6 11 years ago

There have been many, many posts and opinions about playfield clearing.

This is one of those threads, and should keep you busy for a while:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/597c5217222e1877/45b068ed4fcb2fde?q=clearcoat+opinion&lnk=ol&#

Robert

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

There have been many, many posts and opinions about playfield clearing.
This is one of those threads, and should keep you busy for a while:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/597c5217222e1877/45b068ed4fcb2fde?q=clearcoat+opinion&lnk=ol&#
Robert

+1,000

There are many opinions on DIY clearcoating. It's been debated to no end. You should have no problem finding hundreds of opinions, particularly on RGP.

#8 11 years ago

I have cleared a few play fields with excellent results. I am a auto painter by trade and have been doing it for close to 20 years now.

Using a good high quality urethane clear will provide outstanding results. If the new playfield already has some clear on it you can wet sand it with 600 grit and put a 2 good coats on. That will be all you will need. That should give you close to 2 mil of clear which your ball will never wear through.

Don't let them use the cheap clear either. Depending on what brand the shop you choose say it was a Sherwin Williams shop (that's what we use) I use CC950 and then bake it in the booth at 165 degrees for 40 minutes after it's done. The clear flows out so smooth.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from cardfelon:

That should give you close to 2 mil of clear which your ball will never wear through.

I haven't ever auto cleared a playfield, so my experience is by reading others opinions and results.

One thing to remember is not too get the clear too thick. I have read numerous posts where the clear developed dimples after being played for awhile.

How thick was it and how long did it dry first, don't really know.

I personally would probably try to varathane it myself, a NOS playfield should be pretty easy (relatively) to do.

If I was going to have someone auto clear it, I'd probably use felon's method of 2 mils plus a bake.

Robert

#10 11 years ago

Thank you for clear coating your NOS playfield! Its one of the last, if not, THE last one for Gorgar (I've never seen one)! Now is the perfect time to do it!

Nice Find by the way!

-Aaron

#11 11 years ago

Neo or Ron are the two that I have had work done by, and I would suggest both of them...

However, you may want to look at the playfield and see if there is any damage or potential damage that you think it needs a clearcoat for. With an NOS playfield, if you wax it regularly you shouldn't have any issues. Also, some collectors would rather have a non-cleared playfield if you ever go for resale.

Depending on how blown out your other playfield is, you could also send it out to be cleared. That's like the best of both worlds.

Having said all that, I've cleared a few different playfields, and I love it personally. I have a cleared Mr & Ms Pac-Man and I think it really looks amazing, so it works really well on old games. If you want to do it, Neo does amazing work and so does Ron

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

One thing to remember is not too get the clear too thick. I have read numerous posts where the clear developed dimples after being played for awhile.

How thick was it and how long did it dry first, don't really know.

I personally would probably try to varathane it myself, a NOS playfield should be pretty easy (relatively) to do.

From what I have heard is most people use varathane or some other product from Lowe's, Home Depot etc... Those clears aren't designed to stand up to abuse that automotive clears are designed for. The dimples they may be referring to is called "solvent pop". That is caused by the gases coming from the bottom layer of clear being trapped by the top lay. This can happen when the clear is applied to thick and to soon. Between each coat of clear the manufacturer has a recommendation for "flash" time. This should be followed strictly. To many people think that they will wait longer or add more coats that recommended to make it look better. Doing this will always end up with poor results.

Urethane clears are not like the old school lacquer paints where you would pound on 5-10 coats. A good quality high solids clear should never have more than 1 light tack coat and 2 wet coats. Should a person desire more then you need to wait for it to fully cure before wet sanding the top coat and applying more. On a playfield there should never be a reason to do more though.

#13 11 years ago

ugg....a eight-year-old RGP pissing contest. No thanks.

cardfelon...your input was spot-on what I was looking for. Of the pfs you've done, has the game play after the clear changed to the point you regret clearing the pf?

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

your input was spot-on what I was looking for. Of the pfs you've done, has the game play after the clear changed to the point you regret clearing the pf?

I haven't regretted it at all. The play is so smooth on it. Also cleaning it has been quick and easy.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from IowaPinballClub:

Thank you for clear coating your NOS playfield! Its one of the last, if not, THE last one for Gorgar (I've never seen one)! Now is the perfect time to do it!
Nice Find by the way!
-Aaron
Iowa Pinball Club

Thanks Aaron, all the more reason to send it out to a pro. I really don't want to screw this up.

My existing playfield is actually in pretty good shape. I know it's been touched up, but whoever did it nailed the colors perfect. The inserts are cupped pretty bad, but I'm thinking those can be replaced easily and with new decals. This all becomes a side project when the new playfield goes in.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Thanks Aaron, all the more reason to send it out to a pro. I really don't want to screw this up.

Very honorable of you. You're doing a favor to the community.

#17 11 years ago

Many people believe a cleared playfield *does* in fact play differently.

You might ask Chad Keller

I have a NOS WCS 94 playfield on the way, and I'm torn as to what I'm going to do.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I have a NOS WCS 94 playfield on the way, and I'm torn as to what I'm going to do.

Wouldn't this already have factory clearcoat (i.e. Diamondplate?) Are today's clearcoats better than those of yesteryear?

#19 11 years ago

cleared playfields do play different, but its neither good nor bad its just different, gorgar I would clear because your not going to find to many NOS ones floating around - keep it safe and perfect.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

a eight-year-old RGP pissing contest.

Yes, but the discussion is relevant.

Robert

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Wouldn't this already have factory clearcoat (i.e. Diamondplate?) Are today's clearcoats better than those of yesteryear?

Yes clear has evolved over the years. A good high quality clear today will outlast and perform anything from 10 years ago. But you can't just walk into your jobber (paint store) and get the cheapest stuff they have and expect it to last. Sure it will be glossy but it is thin and won't last like a good high solids clear.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Many people believe a cleared playfield *does* in fact play differently.
You might ask Chad Keller

I have three goals: preservation, beauty, and speed. I'm looking for a fast-playing Gorgar.

#23 11 years ago

I had Chad Keller do my KISS playfield and it looks and plays awesomely. Just do it.

5 months later
#24 11 years ago

The HEP restore on my NOS Gorgar PF has started!

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album456

My first HEP adventure. So very excited.

Brian

#25 11 years ago

Looks great so far!

#26 11 years ago

Looks great Brian!

#27 11 years ago

Please keep us updated, I am about to possibly do the same with a NOS Space Shuttle

#28 11 years ago

Awesome, gonna be the nicest Gorgar playfield Ever. Looking foward to the progess updates.

#29 11 years ago

Not only is the right, automotive epoxy clear harder, and more clear, the most important factor is finish materials were/are not made to sit 30-40 years then have the friction of a heavy ball rolled over them. AS with any finish, it may still look new, but at its age it is brittle, and will wear very fast. Even if it did not, since you are going to remove all of the parts and do an enormous amount of work, this is the time to make it perfect, and insure that it will last longer. I dont habve the time to write the book about the advantages of properly clearing a nos pf from the late 70's, but just imagine installing a nos prepainted body part that has been sitting in a garage corner, on to your newly restored 66' barracuda, without at least sanding and reclearing.
Lastly, and this is going to make a lot of people mad, but water based varathane, looks just horrible, and is not nearly hard enough. Of course this is the opinion of someone who clearcoats pf's for a living. (the ones that are used on restoration projects that sell for 12-15k) snob.

Also the right auto epoxy clear works great on pf's when done properly. Experience is very important. Naturaly the first one you do is not nearly as good as the 500th. There are a lot of tricks that dont show, but make the job look and last better and longer.

3 months later
#30 11 years ago

Not sure how I missed Ron's follow up here. Better late than never - thanks for the input Ron!

#31 11 years ago

Btw, here's one of the finished product:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Btw, here's one of the finished product:

When does the install begin? I'll have to come check it out, looks fantastic!

#33 11 years ago

Wrapping up BSD this weekend then doing a pf swap on Funhouse, maybe a few shop jobs in between then I'll tackle Gorgar. My current pf is actually pretty nice, so there's no rush. Right now it's wall art in my home office.

BTW, I "was" okay with keeping my Gorgar cabinet as is ... that was until I saw the pics of your cabinet. Dang, it sure would look great if I redid mine. You did the stencil job, right? Might have to consult you on this.

Brian

#34 11 years ago

I know an artist at CPR is working on the artwork for a GORGAR playfield. Those should hit the market in a year or so.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Wrapping up BSD this weekend then doing a pf swap on Funhouse, maybe a few shop jobs in between then I'll tackle Gorgar. My current pf is actually pretty nice, so there's no rush. Right now it's wall art in my home office.
BTW, I "was" okay with keeping my Gorgar cabinet as is ... that was until I saw the pics of your cabinet. Dang, it sure would look great if I redid mine. You did the stencil job, right? Might have to consult you on this.
Brian

I used Pinball Pal stencils. I got a bunch of in-process pictures if you're interested. Wasn't the easiest thing I ever did but the result was well worth the effort.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/incoming-gorgar-nos-playfield-clearcoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.