3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by koji
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

led-temps (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

I tend to run both, at some point, I will transition to SMD when I can get a nice fade effect similar to the OCD mod etc.

But really, my point is about the heat.. a nice clean incadescent ain't so bad. I did some quick reading averages with a temp. gun on some bulbs of various conditions, and thought I'd share this.

Moral of the story, check your bulbs when you are shopping out your PF etc. If they are burnt or discolored, toss them. If applicable, gap the bulbs away from your inserts and plastics. Don't get angry at people that maintain their machine with clean incandescents.. the key is maintenance.

[edit] oh and the photos are:

Bright multi SMD
    Clean no.47
    Clean no.44
    Burnt no.47
    Very burnt (AKA Death Star) no.44

led-temps (resized).pngled-temps (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

Interesting--I hadn't realized burnt bulbs ran so much hotter than clean bulbs. Big difference between 65'F and 113'F

#3 3 years ago

You know the really black ones get hot when you grab one with your bare fingers for sure! It's actually enjoyable throwing those in the trash can.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Interesting--I hadn't realized burnt bulbs ran so much hotter than clean bulbs. Big difference between 65'F and 113'F

Thank you, yeah, people seem to consider the 44s as killers, but from what I saw, it was not too much hotter than the 47. I expected more of a difference... (even given some variance due to materials etc.)

#5 3 years ago

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

#6 3 years ago

Can you do an LED retro type which presumably has less LEDs on it than the bright version?

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Can you do an LED retro type which presumably has less LEDs on it than the bright version?

One of the least bright ones equal to a #47 probably wouldn't read much different than an empty socket.

#8 3 years ago

Interesting! I thought it was just a hunch I had when removing blackened bulbs vs. good unburned bulbs. It definitely felt like the blackened ones have been running hotter, and I'm glad someone was able to confirm that. But those temperature differences are pretty extreme. I think there are two reasons for this. One, the filament is degraded in these high runtime bulbs causing more resistance and more heat. Two, the tungsten particles on the inside of the glass itself block the visible and infrared light from escaping effectively, causing the radiation to be reflected back to the inside of the bulbs. This results in a kind of greenhouse effect like what you get when you leave your car windows rolled up in the summer.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Interesting! I thought it was just a hunch I had when removing blackened bulbs vs. good unburned bulbs. It definitely felt like the blackened ones have been running hotter, and I'm glad someone was able to confirm that. But those temperature differences are pretty extreme. I think there are two reasons for this. One, the filament is degraded in these high runtime bulbs causing more resistance and more heat. Two, the tungsten particles on the inside of the glass itself block the visible and infrared light from escaping effectively, causing the radiation to be reflected back to the inside of the bulbs. This results in a kind of greenhouse effect like what you get when you leave your car windows rolled up in the summer.

Yeah, that makes sense to me. I just got tired of the witch hunt on incadescents. I like my LEDs, but I also appreciate that it is fine to run clean incandescents.. If maintained properly, they should not damage anything.... and I'd imagine in home use, this would take a fair amount of time (generally), for them to reach this stage of burn (if they survive long enough).

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

One of the least bright ones equal to a #47 probably wouldn't read much different than an empty socket.

Yeah, IIRC, they are running about 80% or so more efficiently, so ~20% of the heat?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/incandescents-smds-heat-etc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.