6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by someoneelse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“incandescent or LED's”

• incandescent 22 votes
      13%
    • LED's 67 votes
      40%
    • BOTH depending on what game it's for 80 votes
      47%

(169 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-580.jpg
    100_0011.JPG

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Both for me. I like to use incandescent for GI (Especially in games where GI dimming is part of the game, such as FH and WH2O) and LEDs for the inserts.

Some games though I will use cool or warm LEDS for GI. I cannot stand how games look when people put colored LEDS in for GI under plastics, and wash out half the colors on them. For me personally, if the plastics have a lot of blue, green, or black: Cool LED. Lots of Reds, yellows: Warm LED. YMMV.

#52 5 years ago

I used LEDs everywhere except for flasher bulbs and in the backbox. I hold onto all of the pulled working bulbs and those become my backbox replacements. Warm white for GI on playfield is a must, with the exception of a few games that use blue color schemes like Tron that look better with cool white.

#53 5 years ago

LEDs for most all games, they look mucho bettero....There are a few game exceptions however...

#54 5 years ago

leds all the way but i wouldn't put leds in a EM machine, if so, probably warm white.

#55 5 years ago

LEDs for sure make the game really pop and help brighten darker games. Got to order some for my mm it looks horrible next to gofers that's full led.

image-580.jpg
    #56 5 years ago

I really like LEDs in IJ (with patched ROM).. Whereas I started putting them into NGG and it looks like ass. And I was only putting in warm whites in NGG and just not right. I think NGG makes better exploitation of incandescent fade effects on the inserts than IJ hence looking a lot better with incandescents. Though, with IJ I went all in.. Changed them all at once vs NGG I've just been doing a few at a time.. So a lot more compare/contrasting going on

#57 5 years ago

Don't limit yourself to incandescents if fading/ghosting is the problem. LED OCD will basically turn LEDs into incandescents.

#58 5 years ago

Incandescent all the way. Personally I don't like LEDs. I took what few LEDs there were out of my MetPro and even swapped back in a plasma DMD.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Don't limit yourself to incandescents if fading/ghosting is the problem. LED OCD will basically turn LEDs into incandescents.

Eh, thats what an extra $150? Incandescents are cheap and since I dont leave machine on for hours the other benefits (heat, energy) carry less weight. If the price was half (say $75) I might think differently

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Yeah, thanks for reminding me...

They do not sell to Germany! I would be an easy customer - buy one for testing and if happy with it order at least 5 more. We've mailed, but at least for the time being (which has been a veeeery long stretch already) there is no distributer in Europe, or any way of ordering directly from the States for that matter.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

Since nobody mentioned it before: For me it depens on the game...
    Most of my games have LEDs in the inserts and oldschool lighting for GI.
    But then there are games that just can't handle LEDs, one good example being CV. First of all you can only use white LEDs as the inserts have so many different shades of colors that "overruling" them with colored LEDs would completely ruin the unique color scheme used. Then CV uses a lot of dimming effects (e.g. when the ball is waiting to be plunged the complete lighting incl. the inserts is heaviliy dimmed and brightens up when the ball is plunged into play) which does not work with LEDs at all.
    For GI i think even more care is needed, again changing the original colors is a total no go! Under red plastics i might use a red LED if it fits perfectly, but blue LEDs for the in- and outlane-area of STTNG as shown above - no way, that's miles aways from the original design. Also for me it's crucial that the LEDs are not to bright - one look at the GI of Sterns ST and you go blind. It spreads that cold solarium flair you usually only see in overlighted Asian supermarkets, but for me pins need to have that special dimmed bar- and gameroom-glow.

I'm currently fully leading cftbl sadly I only got the inserts (thought the package was cheap)

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Eh, thats what an extra $150? Incandescents are cheap and since I dont leave machine on for hours the other benefits (heat, energy) carry less weight. If the price was half (say $75) I might think differently

Well I think it has many more benefits to operators who have games running 24/7 (or at least all day) on location. Sure the price is steep and cost is generally more prohibitive for operators but looking at these old playfields (F-14 and the inserts for example) it makes sense preservation wise. Ever put your hand on the playfield and felt the heat coming off all those bulbs? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the color, light spread, and fading properties of incandescents. But I also like LEDs if and only if they're used properly.

We are completely switching machines to LED GI. Warm white frosted. They're great but the color temp is a little off, not to mention the instant on/off characteristics of LEDs.

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

I can't argue with that. If you like the look of incandescents, there's not a good reason to spend a bunch of money to put LEDs in a game. I'd love to be able to sell them for $75, but they cost me more than that to make, and that doesn't count the time it takes to assemble the cables, test the boards, support end users, PayPal fees, income tax, etc.

IMHO, properly done LEDs can make a bigger impact than other mods like toppers, mirror blades, etc., and I'm willing to spend more money on top of LEDs to make them look good. If something like LED OCD existed when I started putting LEDs in my games, I would have bought it rather than designing it.

Quoted from someoneelse:

Yeah, thanks for reminding me...
    They do not sell to Germany! ... We've mailed, but at least for the time being (which has been a veeeery long stretch already) there is no distributer in Europe, or any way of ordering directly from the States for that matter.

It's aggravating to me as well. If it was as simple as shipping and customs, I'd be happy to sell them directly. Sadly, if I didn't do it right, I could end up losing my day job (that pays the bills). I've talked with a couple of US resellers that are able to ship internationally, but they've all fallen through.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

It's aggravating to me as well. If it was as simple as shipping and customs, I'd be happy to sell them directly. Sadly, if I didn't do it right, I could end up losing my day job (that pays the bills). I've talked with a couple of US resellers that are able to ship internationally, but they've all fallen through.

I suspect your problems when supplying electronic devices internationally are linked to export compliance related topics?

Wouldn't it be an option to use an international service provider (not a pinball-related reseller) like iGlobal then?
    They're not much fun to work with, at least from a customer point of view, but since Marco uses them for their international orders they do seem to be reliable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 18.95
    There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside