(Topic ID: 82700)

Incandescent Bulb Fan Club

By mot

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).jpg
    F1A0B3FD-5A88-492C-9639-7DABE7BB5341 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20201112_042420583 (resized).jpg
    DSC_0580 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20200702_234351522 (resized).jpg
    20200321_180928 (resized).jpg
    20200321_151819 (resized).jpg
    20200506_200421 (resized).jpg
    20200203_174608 (resized).jpg
    20200203_174602 (resized).jpg
    20191128_213639 (resized).jpg
    20191117_023645 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8847 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8846 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevep3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 10 years ago

Count me in, I prefer regular bulbs to LED's for the most part. Basically, if it shipped from the factory with regular bulbs, that's what I prefer in that game. New stuff with LED's? Fine with me, that's how I saw it the first time and what I'm used to. I do sneak a few LED's into my older games under certain inserts though.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from lapean111:

I won't use LEDs except for in very few, specific spots on games that weren't designed for them. You lose all of the dimming effects and have to deal with strobing, etc when you got to LEDs. I do have a color changing LED in the door knob of my TZ and the clock insert. Also the center gem on my CV.
    Games that were designed for LEDs look great, Stern ST, WOZ, etc, but older games, no way. I am not a fan of how the hobby is turning into "blinging" everything out. IMHO, its tacky.

Agreed! Although, credit due where credit is due, a fella near to me has a F-14 tomcat that's blinged out with LED's and I have to say it looks incredible. I think it can work depending on the theme, but it certainly isn't my 'bag'.

#99 10 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

You should check out the warm white Cree LED bulbs Home Depot sells. I was an incandescent hoarder too until I saw these. Color temperature is spot on and the brightness is perfect for replacing 40W and 60W tungsten bulbs. Plus, they actually look like frosted incandescents so if you have fixures with exposed bulbs they won't look weird.

Sure, 20 or 30 bucks to replace a 50 cent bulb sounds pretty sweet.

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

They will pay for themselves in a couple of years, as they only use a fraction of the electricity. For example, I replaced all the 65 watt incandescent flood lights in my basement with LED bulbs that only use 10.5 watts. The new bulbs are not only slightly brighter, but they are rated to last more than 20 years.

Yeah I don't wanna get into the whole light bulb debate again. I'm sticking to what I like.

#108 10 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

No to go too far off topic here, but that's a bit of an oversimplification. The Cree bulbs are only $5-$8 (and continue to go down in price as time goes on) and use only a sixth the amount of power as a tungsten bulb with similar light output. I did the math a few months ago and based on my average electric rate (around $0.11/kWH, IIRC), I'd recoup the cost of the bulb within 5-6 years in heavy use locations. Also, since the LED bulbs are rated to last 20-30 years they're great to use in fixtures that are a pain in the butt to get to.
    For me, it's all about the quality and color temperature of the light (which is why I continue to use incandescents in my pins and why I never touched CFs), and if I can get this, reduce my energy consumption, and save money in the long run, I'm all in.

Yeah, I hear ya. Where I live the LED bulbs worth installing are from about 12 dollars to 25 dollars (just checked - wow that gets pricey!). I'm waiting until they become more practically affordable. Like any technology, wait it out, reap benefits.

I have a stack of incandescents that's about 2 feet by 2 feet by 3 feet to tide me over

#112 10 years ago

Whoa lol I never said that, you quoted the wrong fella

(gweempoose said what you quoted)

#117 10 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

LED's are great on dark games. Data east white playfields look fine with standard bulbs.

Hehehe

Now I'm just goofing around.

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I suppose Most of you like Warped and Burn't p/f plastics too..
    I Wasn't even gonna open up this Topic , but i did ........ Blahhhhhhhh .. Leds Rock !!!!!!

Sure! I leave the games in my basement on 24-7.

#149 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

You guys are in a World of Yr Own .. These R my Last words in the Thread . I suggest ya'll Not go to any Pin Show's
    90% of the Pins will B Pimped out ... Better wear yr Sunglasses ..

If Ninety percent,, of Pinball Player's.. jumped ... off A Cliff

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevep3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/incandescent-bulb-fan-club?tu=stevep3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.