(Topic ID: 82700)

Incandescent Bulb Fan Club

By mot

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).jpg
    F1A0B3FD-5A88-492C-9639-7DABE7BB5341 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20201112_042420583 (resized).jpg
    DSC_0580 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20200702_234351522 (resized).jpg
    20200321_180928 (resized).jpg
    20200321_151819 (resized).jpg
    20200506_200421 (resized).jpg
    20200203_174608 (resized).jpg
    20200203_174602 (resized).jpg
    20191128_213639 (resized).jpg
    20191117_023645 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8847 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8846 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider erichill.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 10 years ago

Yeaahh! Count me in!

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

They have warm white LEDs. And LED OCD fixes all those drawbacks.

Agreed, but you're still paying $100 for LEDs plus an additional $150 for the controller just to make your game look and behave like it has $10 worth of incandescents installed. I don't see the point in doing this, especially in a home environment where things like bulb heat, connector stress, and power consumption are less significant concerns.

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I use lower power 47s and 159s in place of 44s and 555s.

It's impressive how many people swear off 44's like they're the devil and use 555's without giving it a second thought, when in actuality the two bulbs draw the same amount of current. 159 is the low power equivalent for 555.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Absolutely. Yet if you are routing a game 24/7 with insert issues due to heat it would be worth it long term to switch to LEDs and get an OCD board. I can find the 30 or so LEDs for inserts for less than $20.

Totally agree. And if you're routing games with the OCD board, hats off to you for the attention to detail!

#84 10 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

I will use the retro warm whites behind backglasses.

Same here. The backbox of my Skateball used to get nice and toasty after an hour or two and this is one of the few instances where I have LEDs in my games. Though like James mentioned earlier, you usually don't want to populate every single socket otherwise your backbox will look radioactive.

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My house on the other hand is all incandescent, because that is what I am used to, and that is the way I like it. Which reminds me it is time to order a bunch of 75 and 100 watters before they are no more.

You should check out the warm white Cree LED bulbs Home Depot sells. I was an incandescent hoarder too until I saw these. Color temperature is spot on and the brightness is perfect for replacing 40W and 60W tungsten bulbs. Plus, they actually look like frosted incandescents so if you have fixures with exposed bulbs they won't look weird.

#102 10 years ago
    Quoted from SteveP3:

Sure, 20 or 30 bucks to replace a 50 cent bulb sounds pretty sweet.

No to go too far off topic here, but that's a bit of an oversimplification. The Cree bulbs are only $5-$8 (and continue to go down in price as time goes on) and use only a sixth the amount of power as a tungsten bulb with similar light output. I did the math a few months ago and based on my average electric rate (around $0.11/kWH, IIRC), I'd recoup the cost of the bulb within 5-6 years in heavy use locations. Also, since the LED bulbs are rated to last 20-30 years they're great to use in fixtures that are a pain in the butt to get to.

For me, it's all about the quality and color temperature of the light (which is why I continue to use incandescents in my pins and why I never touched CFs), and if I can get this, reduce my energy consumption, and save money in the long run, I'm all in.

#118 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Erichill you're paying $5-$8 for Cree A19 bulbs? Where?? The cheapest we have here is $10 for a 40 watt equivalent and $13 for a 60, which is understood to be the national pricing standard for these. And the "bulk discounts" may save $5 or less total overall.

My local Home Depot. They've been this price for the past few months. Maybe the pricing is different in the NW than elsewhere?

Screen Shot 2014-03-08 at 9.45.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-03-08 at 9.45.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-08 at 9.47.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-03-08 at 9.47.48 PM.png

#119 10 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I think you are in the wrong place to be asking where to by LED.

Sorry, my fault. Let's get back on topic.

Here's a photo of the carnage left by my Black Hole incandescent conversion.

image-298.jpgimage-298.jpg
    #129 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

How are the Eiko green lamps? And flashers?

I don't think there's any difference between the certified "green" lamps and the old ones. When you order a box of 44s or 47s from Steve Young this is what you get now. Pretty sure Eiko just changed their packaging.

4 months later
    #253 9 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Comet pinball has warm white retro LED bulbs that look exactly like regular 44's

I use LEDs only very sparingly, but I have still yet to see a single LED that matches the color temperature of a 44 or 47. The "warm white" and "retro" bulbs I've tried all have a slight green spike to them. If you're curious, try one of these bulbs along side a traditional incandescent and the difference is quite striking. I know I'm in the minority here, but this is something that drives me bonkers.

#255 9 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

I'm a bulb fan, too. I think too often people attribute the visual improvement of replacing all bulbs with LEDs to the LEDs themselves. When in reality the old bulbs were tired and dim, and often also the game was dirty and got a clean while it was stripped for bulb replacement.

If you simply replace all bulbs with new incandescent bulbs you'll be surprised at how much of an improvement you get, and it didn't take any LEDs to achieve it. Clean game with new bulbs = perfection IMO.

And lamp sockets make a huge difference too with incandescents. If they're corroded, loose, or otherwise compromised, your bulbs will not burn as brightly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider erichill.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/incandescent-bulb-fan-club?tu=erichill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.