(Topic ID: 82700)

Incandescent Bulb Fan Club

By mot

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).jpg
    F1A0B3FD-5A88-492C-9639-7DABE7BB5341 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20201112_042420583 (resized).jpg
    DSC_0580 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20200702_234351522 (resized).jpg
    20200321_180928 (resized).jpg
    20200321_151819 (resized).jpg
    20200506_200421 (resized).jpg
    20200203_174608 (resized).jpg
    20200203_174602 (resized).jpg
    20191128_213639 (resized).jpg
    20191117_023645 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8847 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8846 (resized).JPG
    There are 427 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 7 years ago

Did my LOTR with colored incandescent close to 10 years ago. Before LEDs were available like they are now. I'm glad I did since I have seen some real obnoxious stuff.

#352 7 years ago

Certain games must have that incandescent glow on the feild ... but led runs cooler and way less power used if you have a few running as well .. mid 70s and up space games look great with led bulbs done correctly ...close encounters .. pinbot ect... but I sure did learn cheap led bulbs suck.. few xtra bucks and they look great ....

#353 7 years ago

If you own it..do as you wish.. I personaly don't care for new machines. in fact not a big fan of machines over 95 ... but I also don't drive a car over 1965....

#354 7 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

... in fact not a big fan of machines over 95 ...

That's not what your wish-list says (Kiss)

#355 7 years ago

Well the kiss machine is my exception.. lol ...

#356 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

That's not what your wish-list says (Kiss)

Haha.. well kiss and dirty harry are my exceptions.. lol

#357 7 years ago
    Quoted from Milltown:

Haha.. well kiss and dirty harry are my exceptions.. lol

Funny, I put my Dirty Harry in The Sanctum for people to play. When they got a Kiss pro they put it right next to my DH. It was so blindingly bright it made DH look like it was turned off. So I replaced the GI with Comet frosted warm white and got the best of both world. Twice as bright but with the incandescent look.

#358 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Funny, I put my Dirty Harry in The Sanctum for people to play. When they got a Kiss pro they put it right next to my DH. It was so blindingly bright it made DH look like it was turned off. So I replaced the GI with Comet frosted warm white and got the best of both world. Twice as bright but with the incandescent look.

Very cool .... I have to say both games are deff a blast to play.. certain games are cool with led.. others,just deff need that incandescent glow for sure . I did all my bulbs in close encounters with led and my pinbot and my road kings.. incredible difference...

#359 7 years ago

I was just thinking last night...I've put some LEDs in a few games, but I'm over it. Ripleys looked good with incandescents.

I wish the guy that sold it back to me would have left it alone or at least included the original bulbs so I wouldn't have to buy more to change it back. I don't need those blinding, flickering LEDs to see. Invisiglass is enough.

#360 7 years ago

Totally agree - when i had my Ripley's I loved the incandescents. I remember the fading on the playfield was really nice with the original bulbs, and LEDs really hurt the effect.

#361 7 years ago

LEDs may offer a "WOW" factor I suppose, but I really prefer the old school incans.

#362 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

When they got a Kiss pro they put it right next to my DH. It was so blindingly bright it made DH look like it was turned off.

My Maverick is full on LED, including the spot lamps. White with color matched inserts. Every time I turn on Taxi right next to it, I think my GI has gone out!

#363 7 years ago

I am in.
    LED's are the work of the devil

#364 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I am in.
    LED's are the work of the devil

Call me Beelzebub!

#365 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Call me Beelzebub!

BeelzeBULB

#366 7 years ago

Just picked up a WH2O and sticking with incandescents.
    They look great. Hope I'm not burned at the stake.

#367 7 years ago

I took out all the GI leds in my whitewater and Creature but left them in the inserts. I hate the strobing. If the game dims the GI at all I would never again

#368 7 years ago

I'm an Incandescent freak but there are so many LED people out there that I'm begging them to NOT PUT COLORED LEDs AS G.I. I don't think there is any influence we can have on people who want to kill the look of older games. Maybe just influence it to a more tasteful method. As a contrast, I bought a Bally Strikes and Spares and it had yellow incandescent bulbs as G.I. That looks terrible as well. I'm doing a new playfield and plastics on that game so it'll get fixed anyway.

#369 7 years ago

I think the reason so many people are installing LEDs is so they can hoard the incandescents that come out of the machines.

11 months later
    #370 6 years ago

C'mon guys...there still has to be a few of us left. Don't let this thread burn out...

Newly picked up Avatar. Picked it up with blue LEDs and pulled them all out and back to incandescent.

Avatar1 (resized).jpgAvatar1 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171009_230255 (resized).jpgIMG_20171009_230255 (resized).jpg

#371 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Newly picked up Avatar.

I like that Stern used a nice fading effect with their bulbs from that era of games. Smooth like butter. I kinda wish they continued that trend.

#372 6 years ago

Been having fits with the cheapo Eiko #47 or 1847 bulbs in my latest project, a classic Stern Seawitch.
    Damn thing eats the Eiko's - all sockets rebuilt or replaced.

Only solution I have found is using vintage GE 1847's, spendy when you can find them but worth it if I don't have to keep replacing the damn things.

On a side note, I am generally an anti-modder, but have been using these bulb condoms in some locations if the glare from the light is too distracting... McMaster Carr # 16925K14
    I used the blue ones on the bulbs that surround the upper pop bumper area & they look like they should have been there from the factory.

#373 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

On a side note, I am generally an anti-modder, but have been using these bulb condoms in some locations if the glare from the light is too distracting... McMaster Carr # 16925K14
    I used the blue ones on the bulbs that surround the upper pop bumper area & they look like they should have been there from the factory.

I have done that too on a few games (Funhouse, Addams and WWater) have a few bare lamps staring you in the face or peeking out behind a ramp or plastic. I've put those on to hide the brightness of the bare bulb.

#374 6 years ago

Congrats on Avatar. It's a great game, but even better with LED's and theme appropriate IMO (if they're done right). I would have swapped some of the blue for cool white.

I'm a member of this club, but only on my Classic Bally's. I also choose to keep certain modern games with incandescent bulbs. BSD and Ripley's for example.

#375 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Congrats on Avatar. It's a great game, but even better with LED's and theme appropriate IMO (if they're done right). I would have swapped some of the blue for cool white.
    I'm a member of this club, but only on my Classic Bally's. I also choose to keep certain modern games with incandescent bulbs. BSD and Ripley's for example.

I don't know. The LED's just don't fade in/out like the incandescent bulbs do, at least in the older pins & it looks like Hell IMHO.
    On the new Sterns they are designed for LED's & the fade is there.

#376 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

but even better with LED's and theme appropriate IMO (if they're done right). I would have swapped some of the blue for cool white.

Sorry. I'm 100% part of this club. No LEDs in any game...that even includes no red LED DMDs either.

EDIT: Crap! Cyclopes has LED displays...dang it!

#377 6 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Sorry. I'm 100% part of this club. No LEDs in any game...that even includes no red LED DMDs either.
    EDIT: Crap! Cyclopes has LED displays...dang it!

Yes, I'm also not 100% incandescent...RFM custom LED saucers - but the rest of the game is incandescent.

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

#378 6 years ago

Found a case of these cleaning out my parts storage area, long life 47's. Brass bases, USA made.

DSCN8846 (resized).JPGDSCN8846 (resized).JPG

DSCN8847 (resized).JPGDSCN8847 (resized).JPG

DSCN8848 (resized).JPGDSCN8848 (resized).JPG

#379 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Found a case of these cleaning out my parts storage area, long life 47's. Brass bases, USA made.

Just the ten bulb box or a case?

#380 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Just the ten bulb box or a case?

Full case, 50 boxes of 10.

2 weeks later
    #381 6 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Full case, 50 boxes of 10.

He shoots...
    He SCORES!

#382 6 years ago

I like my games as the came from the factory. Only mod I ever did was to modify my TZ clock when the only way to keep them from burning up was to drill holes in the top of the case and change 0 ohm resisters to diodes (I don't know why they weren't just called jumpers) However I have replaced many power supply connectors even on home games. I always replaced 44s with 47s and as leds became available at reasonable costs have been reducing loads on power supplies. My eyes are 66 years old so maybe I don't see the differences as much as most. Also it seems at least from the vendors at the pinball shows I've attended recently they have leds that closely mimic regular lamps. I chose to save the connectors unless a led really looks out of place. Probably not to much of an issue for most but at one of my parties someone put something in the oven and this with all the machines on blew the main house breaker

3 months later
    #383 6 years ago

Anybody still a member of this club? I'm still a lifetime card carrying member. I refuse to LED any of my 17 games...hello anyone? It is feeling very lonely in here. I guess I am missing something.

#384 6 years ago

I keep most of my GI natural.

#385 6 years ago

One day (hopefully) I'll run across an early ss that is huo, then I would stay with original bulbs, but instead of color matching bulb condoms I would spring for these PL dipped bulbs!

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#386 6 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

Anybody still a member of this club? I'm still a lifetime card carrying member. I refuse to LED any of my 17 games...hello anyone? It is feeling very lonely in here. I guess I am missing something.

Hell yes!~
    LED's suck in EM's & early SS pins.

#387 6 years ago
    Quoted from gmkalos:

One day (hopefully) I'll run across an early ss that is huo, then I would stay with original bulbs, but instead of color matching bulb condoms I would spring for these PL dipped bulbs!

I have used translucent paint i get from the hobby store. I dip what ever color I need and they look great.

3 months later
    #388 5 years ago

I have two expressions I use now:

UB Lighting - Bad LED light choices that make it look like a Unicorn Barfed all over the playfield.

Incandescent Upgrade - Fix for UB Lighting. My Getaway just got this upgrade.

1 year later
    #389 4 years ago

Anybody still a member? I still love the incandescents in my 14 games. Not a single LED anywhere!

#390 4 years ago

Incandescents for life!

20191117_023645 (resized).jpg20191117_023645 (resized).jpg20191128_213639 (resized).jpg20191128_213639 (resized).jpg
    #391 4 years ago

Hell yes!
    Led's just don't look right in vintage machines.

#392 4 years ago

With you. No leds in my four 90s games.

#393 4 years ago

Where is the best place to get incandescents for pinball games these days?

#394 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

If you're looking for original GE or Westinghouse bulbs, EBay.

#395 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Marco Specialties has them.

I prefer 47 bulbs instead of 44, and 159 bulbs instead of 555 bulbs (lower power, less chance of melting plastics or inserts), but they are just a bit dimmer.

#396 4 years ago
    20200203_174602 (resized).jpg20200203_174602 (resized).jpg20200203_174608 (resized).jpg20200203_174608 (resized).jpg
    4 months later
    #397 3 years ago
    20200506_200421 (resized).jpg20200506_200421 (resized).jpg
    #398 3 years ago
    20200321_151819 (resized).jpg20200321_151819 (resized).jpg
    #399 3 years ago

Damn...not sure why my pics are posting sideways now...how do I fix (from my phone)?

#400 3 years ago
    20200321_180928 (resized).jpg20200321_180928 (resized).jpg
    There are 427 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/incandescent-bulb-fan-club/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.