(Topic ID: 82700)

Incandescent Bulb Fan Club

By mot

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).jpg
    F1A0B3FD-5A88-492C-9639-7DABE7BB5341 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20201112_042420583 (resized).jpg
    DSC_0580 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20200702_234351522 (resized).jpg
    20200321_180928 (resized).jpg
    20200321_151819 (resized).jpg
    20200506_200421 (resized).jpg
    20200203_174608 (resized).jpg
    20200203_174602 (resized).jpg
    20191128_213639 (resized).jpg
    20191117_023645 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8847 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8846 (resized).JPG
    There are 427 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
    #201 10 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Honestly not sure as i know that video cameras really see LED weird. But from what i could see the yellow inserts in the middle look green tinged, and you seemed to take liberty with white inserts and such, adding extra GI sounds like a good idea. But really It seems to have a Sesame Street look. So my vote would have to be the classic look.
    I think I would have stopped with the DMD antiglare and a good cleaning.
    I kind of noticed in your TZ compare that you had DMD anti glare but then the BG so bright Rod the door was really reflected across PF. So not sure what the accomplishment was.

whoa now you're anti-sesame street too? you monster!

#202 10 years ago
    #203 10 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

I prefer the look of incandescent bulbs to that of LEDs in most pinball machines! Is anybody with me!?

44.jpg 6 KB

#204 10 years ago

LED-man.jpgLED-man.jpg

#205 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

whoa now you're anti-sesame street too? you monster!

Well if it was a Mario, Bugs or TMNT maybe great but every machine does not look improved.

Large order of fries up!

#206 10 years ago

A package arrived today.
    DSCN2442.JPGDSCN2442.JPG

Sweet!
    DSCN2443.JPGDSCN2443.JPG

#207 10 years ago

Is that for BB or PF?

#208 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

A package arrived today.

Sweet!

DSCN2442.JPG 131 KB

DSCN2443.JPG 96 KB

O-din, did you shoot out the bulbs around your bathroom mirror again.

#209 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

O-din, did you shoot out the bulbs around your bathroom mirror again.

Nope. But someone told me I can't have these any more. Proved em wrong, didn't I?!!

#210 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Nope. But someone told me I can't have these any more. Proved em wrong, didn't I?!!

In Canada as of Jan 1 2014, 75W and100W bulbs can't be imported in the country. After of Dec 31 2014 40W and 60W can not be imported into here. So stock up.

#211 10 years ago

Oooh ... contraband!

Steve

Quoted from o-din:

#212 10 years ago

Except last night i needed two 40 watters for my hall, and all I have is 60's and 75s.

#213 10 years ago

Is the Spanish a give away.

Quoted from blownfuse:

Oooh ... contraband!
    Steve

O-Din, California is not banning incandescent bubs till 2018. Is there a local law?

Quoted from o-din:

#214 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

O-Din, California is not banning incandescent bubs till 2018. Is there a local law?

There's an unwritten law that the only ones you can find were 60's, that became 58's, that are now 57's. And as my eyes get a little older, I need to go in the other direction. E-bay is once again my friend!

#215 10 years ago

You could sell them to your friends in N.J. but that would be wrong.

#216 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

That would be like selling them my Big Daddy. Not gonna happen!

Edit- Oh, I see what you mean. Like stuffing old EMs full of lightbulbs and sending them east.

#217 10 years ago

for household lighting, I'm a definite LED fan (since this thread kinda gravitated there now lol)
    an amazon seller, TOMTOP has great prices and one dollar shipping whether you buy one or twenty of em.
    about same price as CFL's, same kind of light output, less than half the power consumed, and about never burn out.
    filled my whole house with em indoors and out, most are SMT "corncobs", the 1w outdoor flood-spotlights not.
    remember when they said CFL's would last forever? then we learned they dont and a mercury laden biohazard too.

#218 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Except last night i needed two 40 watters for my hall, and all I have is 60's and 75s.

My wife started hoarding 100 watt lightbulbs. I suppose they will be nice to have someday when you can't buy them anymore. It just seems every time I need to replace a bulb, what I need is a 60 watt, and all I can find in the house is 100 watt. I'm not sure we even have any fixtures that use 100 watt bulbs.

#219 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Quoted from o-din:

That would be like selling them my Big Daddy. Not gonna happen!
    Edit- Oh, I see what you mean. Like stuffing old EMs full of lightbulbs and sending them east.

i would be more than happy to take receipt of the big daddy full of incandescent bulbs...

#220 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

My wife started hoarding 100 watt lightbulbs. I suppose they will be nice to have someday when you can't buy them anymore. It just seems every time I need to replace a bulb, what I need is a 60 watt, and all I can find in the house is 100 watt. I'm not sure we even have any fixtures that use 100 watt bulbs.

i just wish i could convince my wife to turn lights off...

as much as i despise them, i put cfl's in the lights she commonly leaves on, and have been gradually replacing them with led's...

however, the lights that "i use" are still real... no cfl's in the game room or theater for me...

#221 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i would be more than happy to take receipt of the big daddy full of incandescent bulbs...

It is stuff like this that keeps me smiling, and enjoying Pinside.

#222 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Anything else from California you would like in there while I'm at it tough guy?

#223 10 years ago

Avocados!

#224 10 years ago

These avocados?
    DSCN2445.JPGDSCN2445.JPG

Or these?
    DSCN2449.JPGDSCN2449.JPG

#225 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Anything else from California you would like in there while I'm at it tough guy?

hmmm... a few beach babes wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

yes!!!!

Quoted from o-din:

These avocados?

Or these?

DSCN2445.JPG 387 KB

DSCN2449.JPG 178 KB

sure... rub it in...

#226 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

hmmm... a few beach babes wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

Your wish is my command!
    th-8.jpegth-8.jpeg

Quoted from ccotenj:

sure... rub it in...

I didn't forget...... we'll get to it....eventually....

#227 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Your wish is my command!

I didn't forget...... we'll get to it....eventually....

th-8.jpeg 30 KB

now we are talkin'!

oh, i know... i just want to be able to grow ANYTHING here right now...

#228 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I'm not sure we even have any fixtures that use 100 watt bulbs.

#229 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I'm Just Pestering you guy's ,, But Dam ,, doesn't White Water lOOk Better w/ Leds ..
    B-4 & after !!

Also "no".

#230 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I'm Just Pestering you guy's ,, But Dam ,, doesn't White Water lOOk Better w/ Leds ..

B-4 & after !!

I'm saying no as well... I just don't like the look.

#231 10 years ago

I like the look of frosted white LEDs behind translites and have used either the warm or cool or a combination from Pinball Life. It also really cuts down on the heat in the backbox and at 39 cents each they are pretty reasonable.
    On playfields I like the look of incandescents and use the colored ones a lot. I will use a couple of LEDs on occasion.( I think that the 4 LED yellow look sweet in the MM castle spotlights)
    My WH2O has all incandescents on the playfield and one strip of LEDs to illuminate the back mountains.
    Wally
    100_6485.JPG100_6485.JPG100_6490.JPG100_6490.JPG100_6495.JPG100_6495.JPG100_6497.JPG100_6497.JPG100_6500.JPG100_6500.JPG100_6505.JPG100_6505.JPG

3 weeks later
    #232 10 years ago
    Quoted from wallybgood:

I like the look of frosted white LEDs behind translites and have used either the warm or cool or a combination from Pinball Life. It also really cuts down on the heat in the backbox and at 39 cents each they are pretty reasonable.
    On playfields I like the look of incandescents and use the colored ones a lot. I will use a couple of LEDs on occasion.( I think that the 4 LED yellow look sweet in the MM castle spotlights)
    My WH2O has all incandescents on the playfield and one strip of LEDs to illuminate the back mountains.
    Wally

I have several machines with LEDs, so I'm not an LED hater, but I think WH2O looks great with incandescents. My WH2O is all incandescent. (as is my LOTR)

2 weeks later
    #233 9 years ago
    Quoted from dphelps:

I think WH2O looks great with incandescents. My WH2O is all incandescent.

White Water is absolutely beautiful with incandescents, let me testify. The boulders really have a soft, mellowing glow.

IMG_4783.JPGIMG_4783.JPG
    IMG_4785.JPGIMG_4785.JPG

#234 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

White Water is absolutely beautiful with incandescents, let me testify. The boulders really have a soft, mellowing glow.

Agree. But you will never convince the extreme lighting crowd.

#235 9 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

B-4 & after !!
    » YouTube video
    » YouTube video

Here's another no on the WW and the TZ in led

#236 9 years ago

More incandescent goodness!

image-523.jpgimage-523.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#237 9 years ago

long live the filiment! Nice glow to that machine. Nice and warm!

#238 9 years ago

20140427_210908.jpg20140427_210908.jpg

#239 9 years ago

Holy crap those things are ugly!

2 weeks later
    #240 9 years ago

No pin looks better with LEDs, glad there are a good amount of people in this thread who keep everything original.

2 months later
    #241 9 years ago

I command this thread to resurrect! Has anyone tried color matching inserts using colored incandescents? I bet that would look pretty sweet!

#242 9 years ago

Great idea!

#243 9 years ago

Comet pinball has warm white retro LED bulbs that look exactly like regular 44's

#244 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I command this thread to resurrect! Has anyone tried color matching inserts using colored incandescents? I bet that would look pretty sweet!

I used them in the blues and greens to fill in my flakey Firepower glass. I also use the colored incandescent 906 flashers they just look nicer with a little fade in and out rather than 1 quick flash on LED.

#245 9 years ago

No led's here...20 boxes of bulbs at the ready....burn away............Joey

#246 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I'm with you for the GI, but colored inkies* are way too dim for inserts. I use colored LEDs for inserts, but only on SS games, and only if they need them. LEDs in GI are like an arms race: if you do one you have to do them all. And for what? Smaller pupils?

(*"inkies" is what we should all use now, because writing "incandescent"...ain't nobody got time for that!)

#247 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

(*"inkies" is what we should all use now, because writing "incandescent"...ain't nobody got time for that!)

"incandies"
    -mof

#248 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I've been using color incandescents a lot lately. It gives you uniform color in inserts and you can add color to places that didn't have it before. Also, your "light shows" stay timed properly.

#249 9 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I bought some colored incandescents from Pinball Life to use on the sign posts on Monster Bash and Creature from the Black Lagoon. I thought they'd look cool without the colored condoms. Unfortunately, the colors were not very vivid.

What I'm saying is... not all colored incandescents are created equal.

#250 9 years ago

I'm a colored condom fan.

I never really liked the colored bulbs that Stern seems to use. I've switched all mine over to the colored covers. I've even gone so far as to remove the stock LEDs on my Metallica Pro and replace with incandescents with colored covers.

Long live the tungsten filament! (Even if you do get such a bad rap)

There are 427 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/incandescent-bulb-fan-club/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.