(Topic ID: 82700)

Incandescent Bulb Fan Club

By mot

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).jpg
    F1A0B3FD-5A88-492C-9639-7DABE7BB5341 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20201112_042420583 (resized).jpg
    DSC_0580 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20200702_234351522 (resized).jpg
    20200321_180928 (resized).jpg
    20200321_151819 (resized).jpg
    20200506_200421 (resized).jpg
    20200203_174608 (resized).jpg
    20200203_174602 (resized).jpg
    20191128_213639 (resized).jpg
    20191117_023645 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8847 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8846 (resized).JPG
    There are 427 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
    #101 10 years ago
    Quoted from SteveP3:

Sure, 20 or 30 bucks to replace a 50 cent bulb sounds pretty sweet.

Damn straight! I figured it out, I may replace my .50 bulb every year, so it would take 16 years to
    recoupe the price of that 1 LED light bulb. And only IF you wouldn't have to replace the LED
    bulb for those 16 years.

#102 10 years ago
    Quoted from SteveP3:

No to go too far off topic here, but that's a bit of an oversimplification. The Cree bulbs are only $5-$8 (and continue to go down in price as time goes on) and use only a sixth the amount of power as a tungsten bulb with similar light output. I did the math a few months ago and based on my average electric rate (around $0.11/kWH, IIRC), I'd recoup the cost of the bulb within 5-6 years in heavy use locations. Also, since the LED bulbs are rated to last 20-30 years they're great to use in fixtures that are a pain in the butt to get to.

For me, it's all about the quality and color temperature of the light (which is why I continue to use incandescents in my pins and why I never touched CFs), and if I can get this, reduce my energy consumption, and save money in the long run, I'm all in.

#103 10 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

I did the math a few months ago and based on my average electric rate (around $0.11/kWH, IIRC), I'd recoup the cost of the bulb within 5-6 years in heavy use locations

Your ROI will be quicker than that.... When is the last time you got a bill from your energy company saying- "Hey, our profits are at an all time high, we are reducing your rates as a thank you!".....the one I seem to get every six months is "Hey, we thought you were going to use more energy than we estimated, we are raising our rates 25%"

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from SteveP3:

They will pay for themselves in a couple of years, as they only use a fraction of the electricity. For example, I replaced all the 65 watt incandescent flood lights in my basement with LED bulbs that only use 10.5 watts. The new bulbs are not only slightly brighter, but they are rated to last more than 20 years.

#105 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

They will pay for themselves in a couple of years,

I'd like to think so, but to think that my electric bill could be much lower than $20 month by buying expensive light bulbs just doesn't pan out for me. Plus I use the heater less because of the warmth incandescents provide.

#106 10 years ago

I'm in on incandescent bulbs, especially in the games they were originally designed for. However, in areas that are real dark and difficult to light, an occasional LED works for me.

I recently purchased a BK2K & HSII, both had every bulb LED'd. It looked awful... I couldn't get them out fast enough.

I also played a Whirlwind & Earthshaker from the same owner, completely LED'd. The games were so bright, they were painful to play.

#107 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

They will pay for themselves in a couple of years, as they only use a fraction of the electricity. For example, I replaced all the 65 watt incandescent flood lights in my basement with LED bulbs that only use 10.5 watts. The new bulbs are not only slightly brighter, but they are rated to last more than 20 years.

Yeah I don't wanna get into the whole light bulb debate again. I'm sticking to what I like.

#108 10 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

No to go too far off topic here, but that's a bit of an oversimplification. The Cree bulbs are only $5-$8 (and continue to go down in price as time goes on) and use only a sixth the amount of power as a tungsten bulb with similar light output. I did the math a few months ago and based on my average electric rate (around $0.11/kWH, IIRC), I'd recoup the cost of the bulb within 5-6 years in heavy use locations. Also, since the LED bulbs are rated to last 20-30 years they're great to use in fixtures that are a pain in the butt to get to.
    For me, it's all about the quality and color temperature of the light (which is why I continue to use incandescents in my pins and why I never touched CFs), and if I can get this, reduce my energy consumption, and save money in the long run, I'm all in.

Yeah, I hear ya. Where I live the LED bulbs worth installing are from about 12 dollars to 25 dollars (just checked - wow that gets pricey!). I'm waiting until they become more practically affordable. Like any technology, wait it out, reap benefits.

I have a stack of incandescents that's about 2 feet by 2 feet by 3 feet to tide me over

#109 10 years ago

i believe LEDs have a higher ceiling than incandescents in terms of how good they can potentially look, but it definitely takes more time and money and is also dependent on the game.

just throwing a bunch of LEDs into a game will likely make it look worse. but if you take the time to really think about your choices (assuming you have good aesthetic instincts), and you invest in things like LEDOCD when appropriate, then you can end up with absolutely stunning results compared to the stock incandescent look. at that point, though, the argument for LEDs is an aesthetic one and not an economic or time-saving one.

#110 10 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

Totally agree. And if you're routing games with the OCD board, hats off to you for the attention to detail!

When I rent a DVD i never rewind it. It's the next guys problem.

#111 10 years ago
    Quoted from SteveP3:

They will pay for themselves in a couple of years, as they only use a fraction of the electricity.

Yeah but then they add 2 plus meters of strip lighting under cabinet and add another 2 + amps of current draw. I don't buy that excuse, not at all.

#112 10 years ago

Whoa lol I never said that, you quoted the wrong fella

(gweempoose said what you quoted)

#113 10 years ago

LED's are great on dark games. Data east white playfields look fine with standard bulbs.

#114 10 years ago
    Quoted from SteveP3:

I have a stack of incandescents that's about 2 feet by 2 feet by 3 feet to tide me over

#115 10 years ago

Erichill you're paying $5-$8 for Cree A19 bulbs? Where?? The cheapest we have here is $10 for a 40 watt equivalent and $13 for a 60, which is understood to be the national pricing standard for these. And the "bulk discounts" may save $5 or less total overall.

#116 10 years ago

I think you are in the wrong place to be asking where to by LED.

#117 10 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

LED's are great on dark games. Data east white playfields look fine with standard bulbs.

Hehehe

Now I'm just goofing around.

#118 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Erichill you're paying $5-$8 for Cree A19 bulbs? Where?? The cheapest we have here is $10 for a 40 watt equivalent and $13 for a 60, which is understood to be the national pricing standard for these. And the "bulk discounts" may save $5 or less total overall.

My local Home Depot. They've been this price for the past few months. Maybe the pricing is different in the NW than elsewhere?

Screen Shot 2014-03-08 at 9.45.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-03-08 at 9.45.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-08 at 9.47.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-03-08 at 9.47.48 PM.png

#119 10 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I think you are in the wrong place to be asking where to by LED.

Sorry, my fault. Let's get back on topic.

Here's a photo of the carnage left by my Black Hole incandescent conversion.

image-298.jpgimage-298.jpg
    #120 10 years ago

That's alotta bulbs. Musta looked like your GI was out.

Steve

Quoted from erichill:

#121 10 years ago

Let there be light!

#122 10 years ago

Dang that must have cost ya a whole 5 bucks!

#123 10 years ago

Depends on the game. My LOTR will always stay incandescent. My WH2O is incandescent and looks great that way. The rest of my games are LED. TOTAN inserts look great with LEDs. STTNG looks good with LEDs, except for the flicker.

#124 10 years ago
    Quoted from dphelps:

... looks good with LEDs, except for the flicker

Exactly!

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

My local Home Depot. They've been this price for the past few months. Maybe the pricing is different in the NW than elsewhere?

Lucky! You're either being subsidized or there is a price drop that has not trickled down to the east coast yet.

#126 10 years ago

the others likely flicker as well but at a speed you can not see, but still cause head trauma.

#127 10 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

Sorry, my fault. Let's get back on topic.

How are the Eiko green lamps? And flashers?

#128 10 years ago

yeah, at one point i looked into the G30. Globe style for the bathroom. I would need 8 of them it would have been like $300. Good to see they are getting to a more realistic price point, still way high.

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

How are the Eiko green lamps? And flashers?

I don't think there's any difference between the certified "green" lamps and the old ones. When you order a box of 44s or 47s from Steve Young this is what you get now. Pretty sure Eiko just changed their packaging.

#130 10 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

I'm not too far away from you and that 60W bulb is $5 more here in Crazyfornia. At $8, I'd try one out. At $13, I can wait.

#131 10 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

the others likely flicker as well but at a speed you can not see, but still cause head trauma.

I can't see any flicker on my TOTAN at all. Of course, STLE and WOZ come stock with LEDs. No flicker, but sometimes I feel tike they could cause a seizure when they start flashing like crazy….

#132 10 years ago
    Quoted from dphelps:

I can't see any flicker on my TOTAN at all. Of course, STLE and WOZ come stock with LEDs. No flicker, but sometimes I feel tike they could cause a seizure when they start flashing like crazy….

Thats how Stern keeps you coming back to buy more machines. Hypnotize with flashing lights!

#133 10 years ago

I suppose Most of you like Warped and Burn't p/f plastics too..

I Wasn't even gonna open up this Topic , but i did ........ Blahhhhhhhh .. Leds Rock !!!!!!

105b7590.jpg105b7590.jpg

#134 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Wasn't even gonna open up this Topic , but i did ........ Blahhhhhhhh .. Leds Rock !!!!!!
    105b7590.jpg 161 KB

I really think that this looks so wrong. It's your game and you can do what you want to it, but I've seen the same game with aqua colored bulb covers that make it bright and give it color. The center of your playfield isn't even lit. This is the perfect example of why incandescents rule! Thanks for sharing!

#135 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

105b7590.jpg 161 KB

Since I don't leave my games on 24/7 I will never have to worry about burnt and warped plastics in my games. The plastics on there will be the same as they are now for as long as I'm on this planet.

#136 10 years ago

I thought it'd be cool to do yellow/orange/red LEDs in the 200k/300k/400k lights on Iron Man's ramps, so I slapped some in. As I was admiring how nice the colors looked, the slow fade attract mode light show started and the joy was crushed. Back in went the filaments. Maybe I'll get some colored incandescents and try again. Not worth an LEDOCD cost just to put a few color highlights.

/generally like how LEDs look, absolutely hate strobing

#137 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Sure! I leave the games in my basement on 24-7.

#138 10 years ago

You guys are in a World of Yr Own .. These R my Last words in the Thread . I suggest ya'll Not go to any Pin Show's

90% of the Pins will B Pimped out ... Better wear yr Sunglasses ..

#139 10 years ago

I always seem to hear the argument from incandescent lovers that a designer wasn't intending for leds so the machines don't look right with them. I think that argument is kind of silly b/c they werent available in the 90s like they are now and all modern games are designed with them. Any cool color on a PF looks weird with a yellow-tinted bulb shined on it imo. Leds took my T2 from antiquated, dingy yellow lighting to something that actually looks contemporary. The game is easily 5x more exciting visually now b/c of the way the blue leds react with the flourescent orange paint and make it really glow. I'm curious if its a sense of nostalgia that is really at play here. That seems to be a really large part of the collectors market and the idea of keeping things stock.

#140 10 years ago

Well said Smurrill1 ,, All the 90's pin's w/ the Red , Blue , Orange . Purple etc ( Inserts ) Leds are able 2 release the True color that they R .. Take NGG 4 example .. Awesome w/ Leds

Oh Hell , I wasn't gonna comment Here again ,, My Bad ,,

#141 10 years ago

To avoid hijacking this thread, I'm going to create a separate post to list out all the Pros and Cons of incandescents vs. LEDs. (for those that want to go to battle) -- perhaps we can keep this thread clean for fans...
    -mof

#142 10 years ago

Here's 1 for you mof ,,,, my WH20 w/ Not even 1 Led installed .. But this Saturday Me & Shanetastic are plan-n on starting the Full Shop @ 10:30 am .. By the end of the day it Won't lOOk like this anymore .. It Will lOOk gOOd !!

#143 10 years ago
    Quoted from Smurrill1:

I always seem to hear the argument from incandescent lovers that a designer wasn't intending for leds so the machines don't look right with them. I think that argument is kind of silly b/c they werent available in the 90s like they are now and all modern games are designed with them. Any cool color on a PF looks weird with a yellow-tinted bulb shined on it imo. Leds took my T2 from antiquated, dingy yellow lighting to something that actually looks contemporary. The game is easily 5x more exciting visually now b/c of the way the blue leds react with the flourescent orange paint and make it really glow. I'm curious if its a sense of nostalgia that is really at play here. That seems to be a really large part of the collectors market and the idea of keeping things stock.

My issue with LED's isn't that the games weren't designed with them. My issue lies with all the damn flickering and that they are blinding and fatiguing on my eyes. In most cases it is physically taxing to play the older games with them in it. I played a Laser Cue at Expo last year that was ruined by them. I couldn't follow the ball because of the flickering and blinding light from the LEDs. It was a beautiful game too but ruined by those things.

Now as much as i dislike them in the older games, I think they look fantastic in the new Stern Star Trek game. My Tron Pro had them installed in the feature lamps by the previous owner and again it works in that game and looks very good which is why I didn't remove them. However in my experience, way more often than not the older games look and play terrible with them. When I see them at the pinball shows I can't play most of them because of the blinding and flickering lights.

#144 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

These R my Last words in the Thread .

people who say this are rarely correct.

#145 10 years ago

I'm all EM, 100% incandescents. We have two functioning rotary phones in our house. When I listen to music I have to wait a minute first for the tubes to warm up. I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong time.

I feel like LEDs have their place but don't care for them in older games or like that crazy color wash in modern machines.

#147 10 years ago

To avoid a holy war in this peaceful thread, please put your best argument for or against LED/Incandescents here:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/incandescent-vs-led-bulbs-pros-and-cons
    -mof

#148 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

We have two functioning rotary phones in our house.

Must be a bitch to text on.

#149 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

You guys are in a World of Yr Own .. These R my Last words in the Thread . I suggest ya'll Not go to any Pin Show's
    90% of the Pins will B Pimped out ... Better wear yr Sunglasses ..

If Ninety percent,, of Pinball Player's.. jumped ... off A Cliff

#150 10 years ago
    Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

Can I join even if I put leds in my white inserts occasionally?

Ever since I got my ACDC Premium, I can't stand a clear or white insert with an incandescent bulb under it. Damn you, Stern. I keep my older games original, but newer Sterns get the LEDs. I did think that WCS at the Louisville show looked super nice with the cool white LEDs. The colors on that particular PF go good with cool whites.

There are 427 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/incandescent-bulb-fan-club/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.