5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 388 posts
  • 124 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by awarner
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 49 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Capture (resized).JPG
    DSCN8848 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8847 (resized).JPG
    DSCN8846 (resized).JPG
    unnamed (resized).jpg
    IMG_20171009_230255 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7455.jpg
    image.jpg
    Ablaze_Incandescent.png
    00R0R_6HzdfKLZI99_600x450.jpg
    Buccaneer.jpg
    46bulb.jpg
    2yx4qko.jpg
    unclefester.jpg
    image3.jpg

There are 388 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
    #51 5 years ago

The Spiderman I bought several years ago was done in a combination of LED and incandescents. I pulled out all the LEDs and put in the PROPER incandescent lamps. Looks much better. Besides, the mode inserts have 3 levels of brightness to them to indicate the various stages of completeness. That is gone with LEDs.

Now that Stern has gone to all LEDs, I'm out.

#52 5 years ago

I love incandescents. anyone use colored incandescents in inserts to help with color fade?

#53 5 years ago

I've been Anti-LED for years now. My biggest thing is the Attack/Decay effect that an incandescent has. In some games, the lighting effects totally change by putting in LEDs and not in a good way. I was all set to put LEDs in my BOP restore I'm doing now - in the big and small wheel, but I opted for colored incandescents instead. Still debating whether to put the LEDs in the Pop Bumpers or not (they are obscured by the Pinbot playfield on that game and don't flash).

Overall, I think LEDs ruin classic games and I'll remove them from the game.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

Agreed, but you're still paying $100 for LEDs plus an additional $150 for the controller just to make your game look and behave like it has $10 worth of incandescents installed. I don't see the point in doing this, especially in a home environment where things like bulb heat, connector stress, and power consumption are less significant concerns.

This is a valid point. If you like the way incandescents look there isn't really a compelling reason to spend the extra money.

Quoted from awarner:

My biggest thing is the Attack/Decay effect that an incandescent has. In some games, the lighting effects totally change by putting in LEDs and not in a good way.

There are options available to avoid this. You might not find it worth the expense, but that's your choice to make. If you like the color and light throw of LEDs, but miss the softer response of incandescents, you can have both. It will just cost more.

#55 5 years ago

I love them both actually. I am still debating on LED for my BTTF. my dr dude took the LED look well.

#56 5 years ago

At Expo last year someone had a really nice Laser Cue in the free play room. I was all excited to play it for the first time in years but it was full of blinding LED's. Not only did they flicker and hurt my eyes but it also made it really hard to see and track the ball. If that game had incandescent bulbs in it then that could have been one of the best Laser Cues out there.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

I use lower power 47s and 159s in place of 44s and 555s.

It's impressive how many people swear off 44's like they're the devil and use 555's without giving it a second thought, when in actuality the two bulbs draw the same amount of current. 159 is the low power equivalent for 555.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

Agreed, but you're still paying $100 for LEDs plus an additional $150 for the controller just to make your game look and behave like it has $10 worth of incandescents installed. I don't see the point in doing this, especially in a home environment where things like bulb heat, connector stress, and power consumption are less significant concerns.

Absolutely. Yet if you are routing a game 24/7 with insert issues due to heat it would be worth it long term to switch to LEDs and get an OCD board. I can find the 30 or so LEDs for inserts for less than $20.

#59 5 years ago

I'm on board with this. Not a huge fan of the LEDs. Have a few here and there on a couple machines, but it's really more for convenience, not look.

Have LED'ed my MB back box, really need to change it back. Just too dang bright. Looks ridiculous.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Absolutely. Yet if you are routing a game 24/7 with insert issues due to heat it would be worth it long term to switch to LEDs and get an OCD board. I can find the 30 or so LEDs for inserts for less than $20.

Totally agree. And if you're routing games with the OCD board, hats off to you for the attention to detail!

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

I'm on board with this. Not a huge fan of the LEDs. Have a few here and there on a couple machines, but it's really more for convenience, not look.
    Have LED'ed my MB back box, really need to change it back. Just too dang bright. Looks ridiculous.

Anytime I LED a backglass I never ever put thef ull amount of LEDS in, looks terrible. But you can throw in warm whites and like 60% worth for the same brightness and significantly less power draw among other things. Not really too expensive to do that.

#62 5 years ago

We put a few LEDs in our MSF, then removed them when my daughter complained. She said playing Frankenstein with LEDs was like watching a good spooky movie during the day. It made sense to me, so out they came. F14 and HSII were a different story, the LEDs look great in those.

#63 5 years ago

No LED for me. I don't think they look bad when done tastefully, but I simply prefer seeing the game the way it was designed. ACDC looks fantastic with LEDs, and was designed well to use them. I don't care for the blinding strobing effect some games get from them. 9.5 times out of 10 I would prefer a non LED game. I have enough incandescents stocked up in my TZ to last quite a while!

#64 5 years ago

The only LEDs I have right now are in EBD pop bumpers just for durability sake..... I couldn't keep a set of incandescents working in there for more than a game or two.

#65 5 years ago

Unfortunately, the older I get, the more light my eyes need. I like LEDs below the playfield and around the flippers to brighten it up, then a mix of LEDs and bulbs elsewhere.

#66 5 years ago

here's another winner club you guys can join...why change now?

il_fullxfull.346251413.jpg
    #67 5 years ago

I still have my home phone and my cell looks like a giant brick, what about it?

Steve

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

It would be great if some Pinsider has mod'd out their old home phone and would post a pic.
    Improved speaker, lights tied in to flash when phone rings, GI lights added, etc.

#69 5 years ago

How about one hooked up to a Gold Wings siren instead? Just don't call me after 8pm or I'll have to take the phone off the hook.

Steve

Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

It would be great if some Pinsider has mod'd out their old home phone and would post a pic. Improved speaker, lights tied in to flash when phone rings, GI lights added, etc.

Gold Wings siren.jpg

#70 5 years ago

Mostly just have incandescent bulbs in my pins, but have installed a few LEDs in some just for fun tinkering around with.

Example: On Pinball Pool I put an LED under the playfield for the 8-Ball insert.
    IMG_1738.JPG
    Put a few LEDs in my Rollergames pin in certain places.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

It would be great if some Pinsider has mod'd out their old home phone and would post a pic.
    Improved speaker, lights tied in to flash when phone rings, GI lights added, etc.

Its called a cell phone

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

here's another winner club you guys can join

Hey - How did you get the phone from my parent's front hall? They're going to miss that.

I'm fine with LED's on the inserts for SS pins. EM's gotta be old school incandescents.

#73 5 years ago

I wonder if he meant Whiners club...

#74 5 years ago

Warm white CT LEDs for GI, incandescents everywhere else.

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bamaro:

Warm white CT LEDs for GI, incandescents everywhere else.

I'm the opposite. Several of my games have incandescents for all the GI, but I almost always use LEDs for the inserts.

#76 5 years ago

All incandescents in my game room!!!!!!with that said I have seen some tastefully done LED games.It seems to me under play field for LEDs looks best.Above play field is way to harsh I don't care "warm" whatever,looks terrible IMHO.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

I wonder if he meant Whiners club...

Admittedly, yes, although I tried to give the topic a positive tone. More positive than "LEDs suck!", anyway.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

I prefer incandescent bulbs in all my EM's and early SS games, and then led's in newest games.

Ditto

#79 5 years ago

I am 100% incandescent. I've taken entire LED kits out of games!

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Admittedly, yes, although I tried to give the topic a positive tone. More positive than "LEDs suck!", anyway.

You got me wrong, haha..I'm in the club!
    I was actually referring to this post of "winner" club..I believe he meant Whiner

Quoted from vex:

il_fullxfull.346251413.jpg 99 KB

#81 5 years ago

I'm in, incandescent all the way for me.

#82 5 years ago

< looks around nervously to make sure the "heat police" aren't watching >

i still use 44's in inserts, aprons and coin entry slots...

#83 5 years ago

I dont mind the retro leds under inserts. However, I normally dont like leds in the GI or flashers. I will use the retro warm whites behind backglasses. I dont want heat on those old backglasses.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

I will use the retro warm whites behind backglasses.

Same here. The backbox of my Skateball used to get nice and toasty after an hour or two and this is one of the few instances where I have LEDs in my games. Though like James mentioned earlier, you usually don't want to populate every single socket otherwise your backbox will look radioactive.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from nocreditdot:

I dont mind the retro leds under inserts. However, I normally dont like leds in the GI or flashers. I will use the retro warm whites behind backglasses. I dont want heat on those old backglasses.

Have you tried using only 47's in backglasses -- that's the route I've gone. I feel like the heat is minimal. Also, I'm using 7-12 and not 35 in each backglass to reduce glare, since it's all home use.

-mof

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

Ditto. I don't use #47s either. All my games are #44 and #555 for GI, backbox, coindoors and inserts.

#87 5 years ago

op.... you might want to put a poll up to better see your results

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

The heat issue is such a non-issue in the home use environment that I'm puzzled why anyone ever brings it up. It's like they say it because they are parroting what they heard someone else say about light bulbs.

Unless you leave your games on all day long then the heat the bulbs make doesn't matter as they will never be on long enough, regularly enough, to do any harm. If you do leave your games on all day long, you are just foolish and wasteful because you are pissing away money on electricity.

#44 FTW!

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from MXV:

The heat issue is such a non-issue in the home use environment that I'm puzzled why anyone ever brings it up. It's like they say it because they are parroting what they heard someone else say about light bulbs.
    Unless you leave your games on all day long then the heat the bulbs make doesn't matter as they will never be on long enough, regularly enough, to do any harm. If you do leave your games on all day long, you are just a foolish and wasteful because you are pissing away money on electricity.
    #44 FTW!

i would tend to agree with this... way back in the day when i worked in an arcade, half the time we never even turned the games off... and i know a lot of the games i played as a kid never got turned off either... whereas "our" games are on for maybe a couple of hours at a time...

the parroting is straight from the "why led's are better" playbook...

i personally think that there are a few uses for led's, so i won't wave my cane too hard on this subject... but only in real specific instances...

#90 5 years ago

My 2 cents...

I think LEDs are acceptable in games designed for LEDs. Generally speaking, I very much dislike LEDs in games that are not designed for them, with two exceptions:

ex1: If Herg's LED OCD is used
    ex2: If the game doesn't use variable brightness effects in the GI much (e.g.: mostly just on or off)

For games not designed for LEDs, I see LEDs as having the following potential benefits
    1) If you want to add some (delicate) color
    2) If you want to increase the brightness

But overall, a pin with a careless full LED kit is worth LESS MONEY to me.

#91 5 years ago

Not a fan of LEDs at all.

I think they look like garbage and would never go through the expense and effort to make my pins look like that. Most of the time people throw in mismatched LEDs, some are colored, some are not, some are dim, some are blinding. Just a complete mess.

#92 5 years ago

I keep my EMs mostly incandescent, but put some LEDS behind the backglass to reduce heat on some. I am really liking LEDS on the inserts of my DMD games and mixing GIs. It really makes them pop. Flashers I am leaving alone.

My house on the other hand is all incandescent, because that is what I am used to, and that is the way I like it. Which reminds me it is time to order a bunch of 75 and 100 watters before they are no more.

#93 5 years ago

I have a friend who has an AFM and they did all LEDs to give it a darker look. Honestly, it looks cool but it is harder to play and it doesn't look as good to me as a well lit incandescent machine.

Another friend did some GI in green LEDs under the green plastics in an IJ and I liked it so I'm going to do the same thing with colored incandescents on mine.

My BOP does have LEDs in the Pops (that's a funny sentence). Since it's below the mini playfield, I think it'll be OK. The low heat thing should prevent the new caps from melting.

#94 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My house on the other hand is all incandescent, because that is what I am used to, and that is the way I like it. Which reminds me it is time to order a bunch of 75 and 100 watters before they are no more.

Same here as far as the house goes. I picked up boxes of bulbs the last time I bought
    so I should be good for a bit.

#95 5 years ago

Led lighting makes me grumpy almost as much as running out of diapers

oldman.jpg
    #96 5 years ago

Well, I'd have to say it depends on the machine, and now there are so many variants on the LED as far as brightness, etc. that that comes into play as well.

I've seen F14 with all LED's and it looks great!

On the other hand, I'm taking all the LED's OUT of my GoldenEye, they are all sooooperbrights and they ghost like crazy, not to mention when you hit multiball and jackpots, you can't even see the friggin' ball as your blinded by light!!!

One thing great about LED's is to use them in those "sumabitch" places where replacing the bulb is a major take-apart job just to get to the damn socket - LED's last so long you won't be having to replace those hard to reach spots.

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You should check out the warm white Cree LED bulbs Home Depot sells. I was an incandescent hoarder too until I saw these. Color temperature is spot on and the brightness is perfect for replacing 40W and 60W tungsten bulbs. Plus, they actually look like frosted incandescents so if you have fixures with exposed bulbs they won't look weird.

#98 5 years ago

Too late! I just ordered some of these to go along with my 60 watt hoard.
    ebay.com link » 12 4 Packs 48pc 75 Watt Sylvania Soft White Light Bulbs Incandescent

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

You should check out the warm white Cree LED bulbs Home Depot sells. I was an incandescent hoarder too until I saw these. Color temperature is spot on and the brightness is perfect for replacing 40W and 60W tungsten bulbs. Plus, they actually look like frosted incandescents so if you have fixures with exposed bulbs they won't look weird.

Sure, 20 or 30 bucks to replace a 50 cent bulb sounds pretty sweet.

#100 5 years ago

I was all set to go LED's before I bought my first pinball machine, and then when I played my first game with LED's and saw the strobing I changed my mind. I have a few LED's in some inserts, but I may replace them with colored incandescent bulbs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 79.99
    Great American Pinball
    $ 999.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Tools
    Granby Games
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Great American Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 65.00
    Texas Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 199.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    There are 388 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside