(Topic ID: 73868)

Incandescent bulb ban, does this include our pins?

By Capper96

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 167 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SteveP3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Philips 2700K LED bulb.jpg
    th-2.jpeg
    kswanson@sisunet.org_20131217_105038.png
    dim-bulb.jpg
    lighting-chart.png
    BacktotheFuture_Speaker.jpg
    P1050837.jpg
    Commercial_LED_lighting_12-445x273.png
    Phil3.jpg
    old-man-cloud.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider underspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 10 years ago

A pretty "bright" friend of mine made a good point yesterday. Incandescent bulbs are 99.9% efficient in the winter months as the heat they give off help to heat the home. The only "waste" is during the summer months.

#103 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Not sure what your 99.9% refers to...if that is saying that nearly 100% of the energy used by the light bulb is converted to heat, you are pretty much correct. But, we use the lights more often than we use the heat: In the summer, you're paying double to heat your house (with an inefficient light) and cool it back down (with an air conditioner). Plus, most of your lighting is located near the ceiling, and since the heat rises it does little to help heat the home. You'd be just as well off trying to heat your house with the waste heat generated by desktop computer, television, or electric toothbrush.

Oh don't get me wrong in terms of light output vs the energy it consumes incandescent bulbs are horrible, but that "waste" energy in heat adds to warming the home that can't be disputed. So for those winter months yeah you're paying a higher electricity bill but in return getting light AND heat. That was the thought.

Oh and off topic let's talk about the EPA's intrusion into our WASHING MACHINES. Hey EPA if you would mandate that women not toss perfectly clean clothes into the hamper just because they touched their skin for 20 minutes...we might "save" more water than you could ever wish for...

Full disclosure I bought an HE washer this year. It sucked so bad that I punted it down the street six months later and went and bought a rebuilt "standard" washing machine (Maytag). Couldn't be happier with clothes dancing in water and actually getting clean again..

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704662604576202212717670514

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I'm actually taking my furnace out and replacing it with one of these for the ultimate in efficient heat.

P1050837.jpg 14 KB

Ha that's actually one of the vacuum tubes that ran this bad boy...

BacktotheFuture_Speaker.jpgBacktotheFuture_Speaker.jpg

#108 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Of course this viewpoint doesn't do much good for the folks living in the deep south now, does it?

Now you're reaching.

Of course I'm reaching as this mandate and subsequent discussion about it is stupid.

Signed,

I have 600 hundred watt light bulbs stored in my shed...in the north where it's cold

#109 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

This chart speaks volumes.

lighting-chart.png 50 KB

Does it say anything about the yearly CO2 emissions from the standard FOX NEWS anchor?

#115 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Good for you - you can also enjoy replacing them approx. 20 times more often than the person that uses LED equivalents.

Yikes don't go all high and mighty on me.

Signed,

Will be selling those bulbs in 5 years at 2500% profit

#120 10 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

ugh you are ruining the light bulb hobby! you should buy bulbs because you enjoy them, not to flip them for profit

Hahahahaha post of the thread.

Alright (yawn) this has been fun I'm out

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider underspin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/incandescent-bulb-ban-does-this-include-our-pins?tu=underspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.