(Topic ID: 73868)

Incandescent bulb ban, does this include our pins?

By Capper96

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 167 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SteveP3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Philips 2700K LED bulb.jpg
    th-2.jpeg
    kswanson@sisunet.org_20131217_105038.png
    dim-bulb.jpg
    lighting-chart.png
    BacktotheFuture_Speaker.jpg
    P1050837.jpg
    Commercial_LED_lighting_12-445x273.png
    Phil3.jpg
    old-man-cloud.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider longjohns.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 10 years ago

IMHO that is the problem with all this 'tree hugger" crap. They say it is "better for the environment", in this case because it will save energy, but they easily over look the negative aspect to doing this.

Even this "carbon credit" garbage - does nothing to help the environment, just makes the people that pay into this feel good - it's all good, I am paying for carbon credits so I can still pollute.

The problem here is there are so many sheeple out there that believe some of the stuff they are spewing, enough so to make politicians "suck up" to them during an election.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Do your homework first, before you open your mouth. The generation of electricity to manufacture your electricity for incandescent bulbs creates tons more mercury than the miniscule amount in your CFL bulb. http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf
    After you are done with digesting that information, research the fertilizer industry and the LED lamp industry and tell us all how bad the LED industry folks have phosphorus exposure.

Quoted from Skins:

Haha! You are going to give a certain select few pinsiders heart attacks with talk like that...
    ...Kudos!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am all for "saving the planet" and trying to clean up our mess. I recycle everything I can, and usually take public transist to work (I have driven but that only amount to about dozen times in the last year). And it doesn't just end at CO emmisions either but the amount of trash that we throw out since we have become such a disposable society.

What I am against is governments blindly throwing money out there for a massive unproven projects just to appease people that they are "doing good". Essentially all they are doing is throwing wet toilet paper at the wall and see what sticks. Just look at how much money was recently given to several solar cell start up companies and how many of these closed up shop within a year or 2 (a good majority of them have, if not all). That money could have been better spent on research on improving solar cells, storage batteries etc. Solar cells are becoming more efficient and cheaper to produce especially once they start producing them in mass quanity via printable electronics.

Quoted from wayout440:

Do your homework first, before you open your mouth. The generation of electricity to manufacture your electricity for incandescent bulbs creates tons more mercury than the miniscule amount in your CFL bulb. http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/promotions/change_light/downloads/Fact_Sheet_Mercury.pdf
    After you are done with digesting that information, research the fertilizer industry and the LED lamp industry and tell us all how bad the LED industry folks have phosphorus exposure.

Interesting read, so I checked in on this and this only holds true (Re: incandescent bulbs creates tons more mercury) if the power that it is using is supplied by coal powered generating station. Not the same for green, hydro, nuclear or natural gas stations.

I am still concerned about how many of these CFLs will end up in a land fill because people will not be bothered to recycle them properly. And it is not just the mercury content, but what about the ballast and electronics that are in them as well?

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'm not even sure you can blame the public on this at this point. Take my case, specifically. It's not like when you go to the store to buy these things, there's big ol signs saying YOU MUST RECYCLE THESE SO TAKE THEM TO *THIS PLACE* WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH THEM!
    I've got literally a big bowl full of CFL's sitting in my house because I don't want to throw them away, but I have absolutely no clue where (Okay, so I did a quick google search just now and appears most Lowes, Home Depots, and Batteries Plus will take them, so there's a few viable options there..) to take them. At the very least, we're assuming people can be arsed to return them to a retail location instead of simply tossing them in the trash, which we ALL know will just about never happen except for people that are already attempting to be "environmentally friendly". Joe Schmoe American is not going to give a flip about disposal procedures.....these are the same tards pouring motor oil down storm drains, etc...

I would double check Home Depot first - all the ones around me are no longer accepting them, fortunately Lowes still does. The only other option for me is an Eco Station a half hour (on a good day) drive across the city and then wait in line for another half hour (or more, although been lucky a couple of times). Needless to say I stock pile all the stuff that goes here and make only 1 or 2 trips that way a year.

As a side note Lowes also takes batteries and incandescent bulbs as well for recycle.

#135 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I posted earlier here: there is/has been no outcry about fluorescent tube lights. I see businesses and residences simply toss these in the trash. So now because it it in a different shape it is a huge problem? Maybe you should call the hazmat team in when someone opens a can of tuna fish.
    http://www.earthtechling.com/2011/10/the-mercury-myth-how-much-mercury-do-cfls-actually-contain/

Lack of education? How many people know that there is Mercury inside the bulbs (or really care for that matter?) - in fact I would bet that the majority only found out about it with the bad press that CFL's are getting. Bottom line is that people don't generally like things being forced down their throats and being told what they have to buy.

I personally have never had a CFL last longer than 2 years myself (tried different brands as well) - currently trying out some LED bulbs and will see how that goes.

Of course switching to CFL/LED is fine and dandy unless you have those 'Edison' style bulbs as part of your home decor.

Recently came across this tear down of Phillips newest LED bulb:

edit: BTW, apparently there are some mods that can be done to many home automation modules/etc that will allow them to work with CFL/LED bulbs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider longjohns.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/incandescent-bulb-ban-does-this-include-our-pins?tu=longjohns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.