(Topic ID: 19267)

In your own words, what is an "A" list pin?

By ThePostmaster

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Honch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I'm not one to rate pins as being on a certain list, A, B, C. I personally rate them as fun to me or not. I don't buy a pin, or seek on out because it's an "A" list pin.

I notice a lot of people referring to getting an "A" list pin in their collection.

There is no defined list.

In your own words, what makes a pin an A list pin? Price, rarity, design team, difficulty to play? I want to hear your personal opinion, not the canned version. I personally, do put pins on lists, unless it's a list to buy or sell.

I know, it's been discussed before, a million times.

#2 11 years ago

I would say that the meaning of an A list pin is the rating on a pin from a "comunity point of view" being one of the top 10 give or take a few spots. IMO I would include some pins to be A list pins that are not in the top to like CFTBL TRON CC IM and a few others. Some tend to think that its a pin that has good value 4k and up give or take. I dont consider BDK to be a A lister or TS FH WH20. So its just terminology use as on of the BIGGER pins. Not somthing I pay attention to.

#3 11 years ago

Too expensive...

Robert

#4 11 years ago

I define an A-list machine as one that, over the course of pinball's history, stood out for some reason or another above all others during its time.

Addam's Family for being one of the best selling pins of all time.

Twilight Zone for being quite possible the deepest pin ever made and one of the only pins whose designers had complete and utter freedom to design what they wanted (http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2684/Bally_1993_Twilight_Zone_Pat_Lawlor_discussing_Twilight_Zone_Audio_.mp3)

Captain Fantastic for being such a huge part of pinball culture (

)

Medieval Madness & Monster Bash for being the last full and complete pins made by Williams before the fall of pinball and the desperate Pin2000 attempt.

The list goes on and on...

#5 11 years ago

Games that everyone wants but can't afford or find.

I am ashamed of myself for continuing this thread.

#6 11 years ago

For me, it's the Pins that I Have to Have but can not afford.. which currently.. is A LOT of pins..

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Games that everyone wants but can't afford or find.

I bought an A-list IJ a few months ago. Waited and waited, saved and saved, researched and researched. I couldn't afford it for months and months. ...It was hard but I had to tell myself no to beautiful reconditioned B-listers for $1000's less. Glad I waited till I found one. They are out there, and they are expensive - but Damn are they worth it.

#8 11 years ago

I'm waiting for someone to tell me none of mine

#9 11 years ago

It's the pins you like and enjoy...You make your own list not going by other peoples likes and dislikes.Just because a Pin is high price does not mean YOU will enjoy it.

#10 11 years ago

Use to be a $ 2500.00 Pin ,, SS , TZ , TOM etc... Hell if I know anymore !! $ 4 to $ 5K & Over now i Guess......

#11 11 years ago

19,000+ Karma and you don't know the answer to this question already????

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from IndianaPwns:

Twilight Zone for being quite possible the deepest pin ever made

For the time... for the time. TSPP is at least twice as deep as TZ.

#13 11 years ago

Its really subjective IMO but, the consensus seem to be any pin that fetches over 4k on average (save new pins) is an A lister.

#14 11 years ago

I'll even go so far as to say that A listers aren't worth it. I've been playing the ever living crap out of Doctor Who, a game that shouldn't cost much more than 1600... and, while I love my TSPP and enjoy LOTR, I can't say that they are honestly 3 times better. Not even twice as good. The cost of these A list games doesn't go hand in hand with the fun I have with them. I love the crap out of Judge Dredd, HS2, and DW, and all three of these MIGHT cost as much as my LOTR. And I can tell you which I'd rather have.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

TSPP is the deepest and LOTR is second deepest.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Craigmack:

i know what my opinion is, I want to know other peoples interpitation is.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I think it's way more than that. TZ isn't that deep anymore relative to a lot of other modern games. Lots of games now that are deeper, heck even some games of that era (Tommy, Stargate) are as deep or deeper than TZ.

#18 11 years ago

Depth is another reason for putting a pin in the A-list like TSPP and LOTR.

#19 11 years ago

I think games with the perfect depth are:

Shadow
    White Water
    Family Guy

Sure, there's a lot of things to do. Not too much, but enough that beating it will still be extremely hard. Games like LOTR and TSPP where you know that you'll never ever beat, well... that's just too much.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Too expensive...
    Robert

This post should have been thumbed up to the moon by now.

#21 11 years ago

A-list is a machine I really like. I don't really care what anyone else grades it as. Spirit, Andromeda, Fathom, all A-listers to me.

#22 11 years ago

Anything popular and expensive, until the owners of established a-list machines get upset and vote it down en masse because they can't have anything upsetting the applecart.

Buy, own and restore the games you like. Those people who just surf the rop ratings and prices when building a collection are not true fans of the game. It's probably just as snobbish in the other direction, but when I check peoples collections and see nothing but 'A list' titles, I do kind of look down on it. It's a case of "you really needed other people to tell you what to like?". I'm sure a few of them genuinely enjoy those games most of all, but that would be a few.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

....when I check peoples collections and see nothing but 'A list' titles, I do kind of look down on it. It's a case of "you really needed other people to tell you what to like?". I'm sure a few of them genuinely enjoy those games most of all, but that would be a few.

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who felt that way. Glad to see I'm not .

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who felt that way. Glad to see I'm not .

Some of the a list games are actually quite good but few are worth the price they command.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Some of the a list games are actually quite good but few are worth the price they command.

I feel that way about TZ and TAF.

MM I don't because I have not played one IRL yet; therefore, I can't say "Yes, it's worth $15k." yet.

#26 11 years ago

Any game I am trying to sell...

#28 11 years ago

An A list pin is anything you are trying to sell. A B list pin is anything you are trying to buy!

#29 11 years ago

I think it is any pin desired by many for any reason. The higher demand defines the price point.
    As also stated I think sometimes you could get 2 3 or 4 other machines in ones place.
    I like them because they seem to have more staying power in my collection.
    Usually I would consider A-list as the top 15 to 20 titles amongst all players rating forums.

Just my opinion this one seems to vary greatly depending on who you ask. Thus the reason for the thread I assume.

#30 11 years ago

A list is what I tell myself when I spend a ton of money on any particular pin. Just my buying it automatically makes it A list... lol

#31 11 years ago

Andromeda ,because it begins with A

#32 11 years ago

To me, an A list game is a game that the majority of the people buying machines seem to want, and the majority of the people buying are okay with paying a lot of money for them. Theoretically, they combine loved themes with really well put together playfields. I find that often, their play is really hit and miss, as there are definitely certain titles where the price undeniably makes them an 'A' list title, but a lot of people don't think the gameplay holds up...

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

...when I check peoples collections and see nothing but 'A list' titles, I do kind of look down on it. It's a case of "you really needed other people to tell you what to like?". I'm sure a few of them genuinely enjoy those games most of all, but that would be a few.

I take some offense to this. Look at my collection. I have games that I enjoy. If most of those are A-listers it's because I think those are the better games. I've had most Williams and stern games in my house for a few days each over the last year. The ones I kept are the ones that I didn't bore of. Minus a potc, which i want back and perhaps black rose and Congo, nothing else out today interests me that I do not own.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Craigmack:

Nice catch.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

+1. so much nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 11 years ago

I feel it is the top 25 of each era with a large sample size. One offs or very limited runs cannot be included in the list. When I say each era I am basically saying you cannot compare DMD list against EM. They each need to have their own list.

#38 11 years ago

Considering I'm priced out of the A-List range, I usually refer to any 'really good' pin over 3.5k

I know that's not a commonly held view either. But if they are out of my price range, they're all the same to me.

#39 11 years ago

For me it's one of those all too rare amazing games. Great art, lasting replay value, lots of objectives and depth, and too expensive to ever call my own. Like AFM.

#40 11 years ago

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - Shakespeare

Oh, in my own words? Making and reading lists is a waste of time, better spent playing pinball.

#41 11 years ago

In response to the OP's question, anything in my collection.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/in-your-own-words-what-is-an-a-list-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.