Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PinballKen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What pinball stage are you in?”

• Expanding 79 votes
      29%
    • Steady 169 votes
      61%
    • Downsizing 27 votes
      10%

(275 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

conv.jpg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

1. Expanding - still buying all I can
    2. Steady - at capacity, selling to buy, or content
    3. Downsizing - selling off a few, I went a little crazy there

I am curious where you are. I am currently steady, might even downsize some. Though I am buying MMR, the older games seems to be leaving, but I have not yet downsized.

(Can't seem to find where to add a poll?). Help?

#2 10 years ago

Add a poll option appears after you make the first post. Weird, huh?

#3 10 years ago

Depends who answers

Me: 1-Expanding
    The Wife: 3- downsizing

So I assume I am at steady state...

#4 10 years ago

2. Steady
    We as a family got 8 pins in just over a year, and now we are "full" to the point that we'd have to squish them in. We're not planning on selling any that we have, so we have to be selective on what comes in, which is easy to do since I'm basically priced out of most options these days.

#5 10 years ago

I'm trying to stay at about 20 pins. I've sold 3 to get the last 3 I got, but will be adding 2 more here soon...

#6 10 years ago

1. Expanding - Just grab up a fish tales....eyeing a NGG.
    4. Denial - Pretending Pinball is not taking so much time out of my life.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

4. Denial - Pretending Pinball is not taking so much time out of my life.

Agreed....getting close to maxing out...better make plans to knock a wall down in the near future

#9 10 years ago

Downsizing for the time being but may add a few in the future.

#10 10 years ago

Expanding. Got 4 since August. Have room for 8.

#11 10 years ago

Expanding- Just purchased a MMRLE.
    Then will be looking to purchase an IJ
    My last purchase because of room will be either a WOZ or The Hobbit.

#12 10 years ago

Expanding but at a slower rate. I'll probably pick up 3-4 lower end pins in the next 14 months.

#13 10 years ago

I've had the same 8 for some time now. Had a big expansion over 6-8 months, then out of pin money and now going through some relationship issues which has put pins a bit on the back burner. However, I'd like to get a few projects in the garage to occupy my time.

#14 10 years ago

Downsizing. I get sick of them quicker than I can replace them.

#15 10 years ago

Steady. I prefer having 4-5 pins, no more no less. Many more than that and I feel uncomfortable with the amount of funds and space tied up and any less, I miss out on play variety needed to keep pins from getting tired.

#16 10 years ago

I'm at the stage where I have coins and bills in the pocket and I go play some location pin. I have been there for a long time.

#17 10 years ago

Steady for now. I have space for 4 more, but no real desire to add any right now. Metallica will be the next one, but that won't happen until the code is complete. Until then, I will just enjoy playing the games that I have.

#18 10 years ago

Very possibly it's near end game for me. But like my collection those feelings keeps changing...

For the past year and a half I've been toying with selling most all of my games and web site. I've reach a different stage in my life and I'm going in other directions these days. Pinside, RGP, buying and selling, fixing, cleaning, Glare Guards... I toy with the idea of sacking it all.

On the other hand I have new games on order and these are exciting times. I really wish I knew what I want to be when I grow up.

Either way I've had a ton of good fortune and fun over the last 7 years or so. I'm lucky to have choices such as these but I definitely see myself at a crossroad.

Interesting poll my friend but I'm unable to vote.

Kim
    http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

#19 10 years ago

Stage 4. Denial

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Glare Guards... I toy with the idea of sacking it all

NOOOO! We need these. You must keep making them no matter what.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

NOOOO! We need these. You must keep making them no matter what.

LOL. I may discontinue but glare guards will hopefully not.

Kim

#22 10 years ago

4. Rebooting - already done stages 1-3

#23 10 years ago

Ive been collecting/playing/restoring for 8 or 9 years now. I usually add about a game a year and am in the process of restoring my eight, a Dr Who, so I'd say I am pretty steady with that side of the hobby.

In the last year I've started to play more competitively, entering my first comp and starting a league, and that has changed the way I'm approaching the hobby. 8 pins is more than a decent amount of pins to own so I look forward to just playing them and maybe doing a trade now and then to get some new blood in the line up.

My excitement for projects has certainly waned as I have two growing daughters that are a lot more important to me than pinball. That being said I feel like I have become more of a "pinhead" in the last year but it took me that long to not see myself as a noob.

Quoted from Mr68:

LOL. I may discontinue but those will hopefully not.
    Kim

NOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 10 years ago

space is a key deciding factor for me (and I'm sure lots of others), although I've squeezed in an extra one beyond what I had allocated (blocking the dart board, which is mounted on a cork board that covers the circuit breaker box). Also brought one to my office. Not sure what I will do when my MMR is ready, maybe loan one to a friend.

#25 10 years ago

Out of room for pins. Thinking about expanding my gameroom. Either that or swapping out a couple of pins for other titles.

#26 10 years ago

I would say 2-Content, but don't believe me because that is probably a lie. I would have said I was content last month before I brought home a Congo and JM in one trip. If The Shadow or STTNG came up nearby for the right price I'd probably go back to #1-Expanding. Otherwise, I've been taking little breaks from the pins more frequently lately. Kind of throttling down the interest a little, but probably enjoying it more as I step back from the hobby.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

space is a key deciding factor for me (and I'm sure lots of others), although I've squeezed in an extra one beyond what I had allocated (blocking the dart board, which is mounted on a cork board that covers the circuit breaker box). Also brought one to my office. Not sure what I will do when my MMR is ready, maybe loan one to a friend.

Wow, this sounds like my story. I'm 2 over capacity tho, one also locking my dartboard (and gameroom closet), the other (WOZ) blocking my MultiWilliams arcade cab. And I have 2 games in storage. Plus, there may be an interesting title or two in my future....

#28 10 years ago

Steady. Bought 3 pins in the past year and a bit and now I'm at my max (simply due to space constraints). Would like to possibly get a ST LE but that means somebody has to go.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Wow, this sounds like my story. I'm 2 over capacity tho,

Space is the issue as well as how many I play. Went from 8 back down to 6. Even at 6 it feels like 1 game could go. With 8 three get neglected and it just looks to packed. Happy with my collection drilled down to my favorite games. There are no older games I want, I don't really want any current pending creations so maybe one more but no hurry.
    2 years of buying and swapping out and i finally feel good for a while.

#30 10 years ago

There is always room for one more. Nice meeting you at Expo by the way. John

#31 10 years ago

Finally expanding, though slowly. Got my first pin in 2007 (My Grail pin - AFM), and between space, the economy tanking, and having a child, it stayed at 1 until this past Aug. In a new house with lots of space now, so added a Road Show, and plan to add at least 1 per year until I can't fit anymore in the basement/gameroom.

#32 10 years ago

Everyone runs out of space and/or money at some point. While I'm +3 games this year, I plan to be -3 in the upcoming year, meaning I'm "2-Steady".

#33 10 years ago

Downsizing
    though every time i sell a game a new one pops up
    Not complaining just odd

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Very possibly it's near end game for me. But like my collection those feelings keeps changing...
    For the past year and a half I've been toying with selling most all of my games and web site. I've reach a different stage in my life and I'm going in other directions these days. Pinside, RGP, buying and selling, fixing, cleaning, Glare Guards... I toy with the idea of sacking it all.
    On the other hand I have new games on order and these are exciting times. I really wish I knew what I want to be when I grow up.
    Either way I've had a ton of good fortune and fun over the last 7 years or so. I'm lucky to have choices such as these but I definitely see myself at a crossroad.
    Interesting poll my friend but I'm unable to vote.
    Kim

I'll be stepping up my efforts to meet IRL.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

which is easy to do since I'm basically priced out of most options these days.

BUT THESE PRICES ARE GOOD FER TEH HOBBY!

MARKET VALUE WALL STOCK STREET WIENER BOAT!

ERMAHGERD!

#37 10 years ago

Stable. I am out of space otherwise I would be expanding -- albeit at a slower rate. Now I need to move Totan to make room for MMR and LOTR for TH (when TH comes out in 2015).

#38 10 years ago

Holding steady with absolutely no more room. I like all of my games with some in storage. Doesn't keep me from looking everyday though.

#39 10 years ago

I'm nearing the end of phase 1. -- expanding.

I "could" have room for 1 more pin max (12), but I'd rather leave that room for another $300 CL fixer-upper project. (the fixer upper) shop spot. If one of my two remaining grail pins appears locally, (Fathom/Black Hole) I am truly in a bad situation. I have no desire to sell any of my first 11 pins, but I cannot NOT purchase Fathom or Black Hole if one shows up in the Bay Area in VG+ condition.

I need to get to phase 2. (stabilized) where I am comfortable selling pins at the bottom of my collection to get pins I fancy more.

I truly need help getting to phase 2. Any tips? Did anyone else struggle once maxed out, then get through that phase and find comfort in letting go of least-played or least-worked-on pins?

-mof

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

BUT THESE PRICES ARE GOOD FER TEH HOBBY!
    MARKET VALUE WALL STOCK STREET WIENER BOAT!
    ERMAHGERD!

Hey now, just because you can keep your vast collection of A titles on your luxury yacht doesn't mean that the rest of us poor folk have the money or room for more pins.

(Disclaimer- He does not have a yacht or a vast hidden collection. I know because otherwise my parents would probably have tried to buy them by now.)

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Agreed....getting close to maxing out...better make plans to knock a wall down in the near future

I plan on doing this.. But I rent the house. So, maybe a bad idea for me hahahahah. But thanks to my pinball addiction we are thinking about buying a house. So I cant wait to expand my collection

#42 10 years ago

Expanding. I currently have 3 pins and 2 ball bowlers. I will be changing things around a bit in my house/rec room so that I'll be able to have 1 ball bowler, 12 pins and a small repair area.
    The good thing is I have a walkout basement.

#43 10 years ago

Steady, sell one buy two , sell two buy one. Buy 36, wake up from dream, sell one.........

#44 10 years ago

Space is my #1 issue. I have room for 6, but have 8 . I have 3 (if you count Hobbit) on the way.

One is sold. Using my pinball rationalization algebra , that means I will one day have 10. That's 4 too many. Lets be honest, more good ones will come along. I still dont have my 2 precious EMs etc.

Time to purge it will be soon....

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Depends who answers
    Me: 1-Expanding
    The Wife: 3- downsizing
    So I assume I am at steady state...

+1

#46 10 years ago

As with many, space and money are both key issues. I have an ideal number and somewhat variation of an ideal list. 2 of the 3 (BOP just left the house about 2 hours ago) are slated for entrenchment in the collection, 1 partly because of wife (can't blame BC all on her ) 2 because of promises and projects (DW). The Hulk is a maybe. I really want to keep it, but if a Centaur comes up and Hulk needs to go I will reluctantly say goodbye. My CPR silver Centaur pf showed up today and I really want one. TSPP is on the way so I'll need some time to see if it stays. I'd like one real flow game with good ramps (Tron, SM, RFM, ST, maybe even STTNG would count for this for me). 5 is a good number, I can crunch six but will be packing it.

Partly it depends on how long I hold on to this obsession. I go from one thing to the next. Last year this time I was building monosynth after monosynth improving my soldering skills and have about a dozen projects (effects and such) left to complete. Sold most to start this hobby and will likely sell most of what is left. I love pins though, so maybe this will last. Even if I 'got out' I think I'd want 3 or 4 around to play permanently.

2 - Steady

#47 10 years ago

Infancy. I cry every time I buy one and cry every time I sell one.

#48 10 years ago

Hard to sell and have one on order.

#49 10 years ago

Got up to 11....hard to justify financially....have now sold a few. Back down to 8.

But, I feel the itch coming on.....

I admit, I've been diagnosed by a doctor - Pinball ADHD!

#50 10 years ago

on paper, my plan is to stay steady, or downsize.

in reality, i'm expanding.

i suck at following my plans.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/in-what-pinball-stage-are-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.