You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

68BDE00B-31E7-4A00-B6A2-BD8BFF011991 (resized).jpeg
E607C94D-81C1-4266-9F47-BB7FC3C730C6 (resized).jpeg
A8917E66-A90E-4CB0-8AB9-CB0A8AFC09F6 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

So I’m playing my beloved Old Chicago the other day when I think I hear a “clunk” in the cabinet. Next thing I know, the score motor won’t stop running, the outhole kicker keeps kicking and the drop targets keep resetting. Weird. I turn the game off, pop the hood and start poking around. Nothing jumps out at me. No obvious parts on the cabinet floor, so I start to think that I imagined the clunk sound.

I start thinking it’s probably a switch that’s gone out of adjustment. (It wouldn’t be the first time.) But after looking carefully at all of the obvious suspects, everything looks perfectly gapped. I get out the schematic and scratch my head. What the heck?!?

Then I start googling. I find an old pinside thread where someone was struggling with the exact same behavior. One of the posts suggests checking the bonus unit. I go back and look at mine:

#2 1 year ago

Oh crap! Where’s the coil plunger??

A8917E66-A90E-4CB0-8AB9-CB0A8AFC09F6 (resized).jpegA8917E66-A90E-4CB0-8AB9-CB0A8AFC09F6 (resized).jpeg
#3 1 year ago

Amazingly, it had landed on the coin box and rolled into the crack between the coin box and the cabinet. The sheared off pin from the arm on the bonus unit was still with it.

E607C94D-81C1-4266-9F47-BB7FC3C730C6 (resized).jpegE607C94D-81C1-4266-9F47-BB7FC3C730C6 (resized).jpeg
#4 1 year ago

Not the kind of thing that’s repairable (at least I don’t think so). My first thought is to post a parts wanted ad here, but then I remember the two boxes of junk em parts I’ve had stashed for years. I dig through it and voilà - a crusty old Bally stepper unit with a very similar arm reveals itself.

68BDE00B-31E7-4A00-B6A2-BD8BFF011991 (resized).jpeg68BDE00B-31E7-4A00-B6A2-BD8BFF011991 (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago

The arms are a little different and the junk box arm didn’t clean up as well as I’d hoped in the ultrasonic, but it works! Boy am I glad I didn’t give in to my wife repeatedly suggesting that I get rid of those boxes of parts. There were definitely a few times I almost gave them away.

I’ve come up with the solution to a problem via the wonders of having parts and materials on hand way more times than I can count (both in pinball and other walks of life). Sometimes, after the initial glow of victory fades, I wonder if it’s worth it though. I likely would’ve been able to source the part. It just would’ve been more of a pain in the ass.

Do you keep a mini junk yard and hardware store on hand? Does it save your bacon often enough to be worth it?

#6 1 year ago

Burnt bulbs and fuses are the only pinball parts that are tossed.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Does it save your bacon often enough to be worth it?

No, but I’m keeping them anyway.

#8 1 year ago

Part of it depends on how much room one has. Up on a shelf, no problem. On the floor where I’m trying to walk, I’d pare it down.

#9 1 year ago

I keep my stash of random parts under a staircase in my workshop. I feel that’s a reasonable spot and amount of space. My minimalist wife might not see it that way. I was super stoked to have a reason to crow about how handy that stash was in solving this breakdown

#10 1 year ago

Perfect spot!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/in-praise-of-junk-boxes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.