Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by drsfmd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

M29-1000 (resized).jpg
    KKN-332 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I posted this to facebook as well, but didn't get much in the way of responses...

I recently picked up a Bally Hay Ride (it's the add-a-ball version of Harvest). One of the coils has a break inside... there's no resistance on the ohmmeter. It's the latching coil for the tilt-- when I hold it in with my finger, the game starts and plays as normal.

The coil in question is a KKN-332 (cross reference C-7800-332). PBR is out of stock. Marco is out of stock and doesn't expect it in for 60 days. I reached out to one of the coil manufacturers, but haven't received a response.

Any of you guys have one, new or used, that you'd sell me?

Thanks in advance!

#2 3 years ago

Bump. Surely someone has a parts machine kicking around...

#4 3 years ago

Thanks. I actually already purchased a G-33-2800. That post is incorrect. The ohms of the coil is correct, but the form factor is off-- the bobbin of the G-33-2800 is taller than the KKN-332. It might work in some applications, but it won't work in this one-- it won't even fit into the slot in the switch stack.

KKN-332 (resized).jpgKKN-332 (resized).jpg

Edit: To add... shipping from Canada will be prohibitively expensive, if it's permissible at all right now. This coil was used on a ton of games, so I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble finding one. Going to research and see if there's a Williams or Gottlieb equivalent that I might be able to substitute.

#5 3 years ago

I have a kkn-336 85 ohm 1 14/8" bobbin 1 1/4 wide.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Thanks. I actually already purchased a G-33-2800. That post is incorrect. The ohms of the coil is correct, but the form factor is off-- the bobbin of the G-33-2800 is taller than the KKN-332. It might work in some applications, but it won't work in this one-- it won't even fit into the slot in the switch stack.
    [quoted image]
    Edit: To add... shipping from Canada will be prohibitively expensive, if it's permissible at all right now. This coil was used on a ton of games, so I'm not sure why I'm having so much trouble finding one. Going to research and see if there's a Williams or Gottlieb equivalent that I might be able to substitute.

Sorry for the misinformation. At least its out there now that it won't fit

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from jpinb:

I have a kkn-336 85 ohm 1 14/8" bobbin 1 1/4 wide.

Hmm... let me research and see if that will work. How tall is the bobbin, without the metal part? the KKN-332 is .71 inches

Quoted from Cheddar:

Sorry for the misinformation. At least its out there now that it won't fit

Nothing to apologize for! The general shape and size are right, the ohms are right... it's just the bobbin height that's off. Like I said, there may be applications that coil would work for, but this isn't one of them.

So... I wonder how important the ohms of the coil are for these applications-- anyone know? I just found a Williams M29-1000 in my stash, but it's only 15.6ohms. The bobbin is .0020 taller than the Bally coil, and drops right into the slot in the bracket... but the metal part sticks up a little further (too far to allow the coil to pull in and close the switches). The metal part isn't removable like the Bally coil- it appears crimped in. I could file it if there's a chance it would work.

M29-1000 (resized).jpgM29-1000 (resized).jpg
    #8 3 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

I wonder how important the ohms of the coil are for these applications-- anyone know? I just found a Williams M29-1000 in my stash, but it's only 15.6ohms.

Is this a continuous duty coil like a coin lockout or hold relay or a momentary use coil like most other relays?

The Williams coil may work briefly but will overheat quickly if the coil is used more than momentarily. Dropping the Williams coil into the Bally circuit would draw much more current and power through the circuit and would probably toast the coil before long.

/Mark

#9 3 years ago

Should have reviewed my post better height is 14/16" .

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

Is this a continuous duty coil like a coin lockout or hold relay or a momentary use coil like most other relays?
    The Williams coil may work briefly but will overheat quickly if the coil is used more than momentarily. Dropping the Williams coil into the Bally circuit would draw much more current and power through the circuit and would probably toast the coil before long.
    /Mark

Thanks. It's a continuous coil-- the tilt relay, which releases when the game tilts.

It actually worked... the game started, and everything operated as it should. The Williams coil was *very* noisy, and the cement resistor in that circuit quickly got smoking hot. So it's back to the drawing board.

Quoted from jpinb:

That might well work. I looked quickly at lunchtime, and I was having trouble finding specs for that coil. I'll do some more research after work.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from jpinb:

Ok. I figured it out. That coil isn't going to work.

Thank you for offering though!

7/8 as a decimal is .875. The G-33-2800 coil that doesn't fit height-wise is .86-- so yours is even taller.

Back to the drawing board. Hopefully someone with a parts game will see this thread. *REALLY* want to bring this game back to life! May make a temporary wedge to hold the relay shut. It will effectively disable the tilt, but it will let me start a game and troubleshoot things until I can find a coil that will work.

1 month later
    #12 3 years ago

For future reference, KKN-335 will work as a replacement-- at least in this application.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/in-need-of-kkn-332-or-c-7800-332-coil?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.