Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you have casual competitive play at your home arcade?”

• Absolutely! I'm practically running the next IFPA in my basement! 7 votes
      22%
    • Yeah! One on one "tournaments" between me and the spouse, the kids, or friends happen at least once a month! 7 votes
      22%
    • Ehh, once in a blue moon. I'd like to more, but it's hard to get anyone other than me excited in the house. 13 votes
      41%
    • Nope. Simple as that. 5 votes
      16%

(32 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

I'm trying to find out how many people have casual "tournaments" in their home...
    It doesn't matter if it's you vs your spouse, you vs your kids, your friends, etc.

I'm asking because I have an idea I've started brainstorming for something that could make these little in-home battles a bit more fun, and I want to see if other people are like me on this - because when I last had a pin in my home, the gf and I would play "tournaments" against each other all the time. And in-home bragging rights are nothing to scoff at when it comes to us playing pinball!

Let me know in the poll or comments - would love to here how un-alone or alone I am in this.

#2 8 years ago

The best way to have head to head battles is to have some early SS games and some EM games. They are much more fun on multiplayer games than DMD games are because of the ball times. Four people can play Sinbad and all stay riveted to watching eachother's play too because the game is wild and ball times are short. It is fun to watch the game screw the other players and your friends can also laugh as you get screwed.

#3 8 years ago

Yeah, I have several 2 and 4 player EMS with two inch flippers and they are the best games for competition. The newer ones can have way too long of ball times to keep everybody interested. We compete almost every night on most of them and use the single player games as fluffers while waiting a turn which usually isn't very long. It is a lot of fun.

#4 8 years ago

My wife, stepdaughter, and I do this all the time. We play every game in my collection and do the 3,2,1 scoring system. My stepdaughter has a scoring goal for each game. If she reaches it, she automatically wins.

#5 8 years ago

(Your poll doesn't really have a response that fits me but...)

Once or twice every winter I have a pinball and vid game throw down in my basement bar and invite mostly work colleagues and spouses from current and past jobs. Many are already predisposed to liking pinball or arcade games, but they are casual or beginners in pins compared to me. I have free play for a couple hours then a very beginner friendly tournament with good prizes. I've learned a lot about how to make it accessible and fun if anyone's trying to do something similar.

Jack

#6 8 years ago

I will usually run some sort of tournemant if there are at least 3-4 people over. From Tommy dollars to quick brackets I think doing some competitive stuff just raises the bar. I will also run 1 ball tournaments on games like BSD or AFM which are a quick way to roll through a tourney. BSD is fun because Mist is qualified and everyone is struggling for that one shot.

#7 8 years ago

I'm not sure you would call it casual... We are pretty competitive here so most of these type tourneys are winner take all... Hubby and I have "tournaments" on our pins all the time (we won't discuss "prizes" ) pretty much every weekend we pick a bank of games and play best 3 of 5 or 5 of 7.
    Over the Holidays, or when the kids are here, we have matches with them on pins and we get out the old WII bowling for matches. My Mom even joins in for the bowling. And we can't forget to drag out the good old Gamecube for a couple rounds of Mario Party or Mario Cart...(no prizes involved unless you count kicking Mom and Dad's butts at something!)
    We have pinball parties here also and invite friends, we have food and beverages, and lots of trash talk and competitions (but our group is so big at this point that some in our Cincy Pinball Group (80+) don't have the space to have an open invite, so we have started a league (we had to cap it at 30 for space etc.))...usually after the league dates there is some $1 games or matches for fun, but someone usually goes home short some $1s.

Phoebe

#8 8 years ago

I would love to find out more about this. We have a growing number of pinheads in my area and a few of us have 8+ pins in our collection. We are kicking the idea of starting something but not really sure how to do it as none of us have ever participated in a tourney or competition.

#9 8 years ago

Thank you for all of the input! This is all really helping a lot with allowing me to pinpoint my goals with this idea.

To get to the point, I'm brainstorming a way to basically make pinball more accessible and fun for those who don't necessarily see what all of us who are obsessed with it love so much about it. With that in mind, I also want this idea to enhance experienced pinball players' fun as well.

Because really, the poll is showing exactly what I thought it would:
    1 - People like playing casually competitive pinball in their own home
    2 - People wish they could get their friends and family excited to play more often as well

I'd really love to hear more specifics from more people about what they do in their own home competitively though. Because there looks like there are two sides to this: the "I want my family and friends to play more", and the "I'm already set up with (or want to setup) a good little mini-casual tournament gathering in my home".

So if you haven't commented yet, please feel free to let me know the specifics of your home tourneys. It really doesn't matter if it's just games between you and your wife, or a ten person group from the office, etc.

#10 8 years ago

Casual players don't want to get their ass kicked on a game that the owner of can stand there and play a 20 minute ball on. They lose enthusiasm fast that way. That is why even though I have a lot of practice on the older games, newcomers pick up on them fast and scores on those games are never that high anyway. And after a short while of practice they can start to win.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Casual players don't want to get their ass kicked on a game that the owner of can stand there and play a 20 minute ball on. They lose enthusiasm fast that way. That is why even though I have a lot of practice on the older games, newcomers pick up on them fast and scores on those games are never that high anyway. And after a short while of practice they can start to win.

Put 2" flippers on every game, problem solved.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Put 2" flippers on every game, problem solved.

When I put them on my Dredd, it did shorten ball times a bit.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/in-home-tournaments and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.