(Topic ID: 235262)

In Home LED conversion

By Budman

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

#1 5 years ago

I am considering converting most or all of the lighting in my home to LED’s. I had an electrician give an estimate along with preparing the paperwork to get partial reimbursement from the power company. From what I’ve seen, this is really something I can do myself as there are numerous options at Lowe’s/ Home Depot. For ceiling can lights it’s simple; no hard wiring involved. The biggest decision seems to be what hue best fits your tastes.... kinda like pinball LED preference!
Any comments or suggestions from those of you who have converted would be appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

I've done my whole house. Nothing to it if you have basic residential electrical knowledge. Most lights are plug and play. Don't go cheap on dimmable lights. Put some cheaper ones in my ceiling fan and they will flicker when dimmed down.

#3 5 years ago

I personally like lights in the 2700-3000K range. Gives a nice warm glow similar to what you are familiar with incandescent bulbs. Anything beyond that and you start getting into the real blue light. We are doing our house now in Progress Lighting LEDs, which will fit a standard can. They are 725 lumens and provide plenty of light.

Hue bulbs can be adjusted for color temperature but I have moved away from them to use smart switches, which have a more normal usage pattern for my family and guests as opposed to using a phone or remote control switch.

Big question are you using smart dimmers and switches? Make sure you get good ones that are compatible with your bulbs. We are using Leviton Z wave dimmers and they work really well. Only on the rare occasion will you get a flicker.

#4 5 years ago

My entire house is now LED. Haven't changed a bulb anywhere in 3 yrs. And it's amazing what the savings are especially when your kids leave the lights on all night.
No need for a professional, lowes/home depot has all the lamps you need.

#5 5 years ago

Just finished converting to all LED in my house. Last three lights were 4 foot double florescent fixtures that I put the ballast bypass LED tubes in.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for the input.... keep it coming.
My electrician started the job in our small mud room area and then sort of flaked out when he couldn’t figure out my programmable switches( circa 1999) and the new LED’s . So I am going to try it on my own.

#7 5 years ago

1000bulbs.com has everything you need at great prices. Did my whole house 3-4 years ago (about 120 various bulbs). Not a single electrical change required except I did choose to remove 3-4 fluorescent fixtures I had and replaced them with standard ones that supported incandescent/LED bulbs.

#8 5 years ago

Philips is the only brand I trust.

If you want them to look like incandescent you'll want them around 2700-2800K. I'd not even go 3000K.

Cheap LED bulbs are just that. I've had CREE from Home Depot, great on color, but had some fail after 6-12 months. I've had other brands fail. Philips has been my go-to.... recessed lights, vanity bulbs for bathroom fixtures, they have candelabra bulbs for ceiling fans that are dimmable and actually work well with this wireless receiver thing we have with a dimmer feature on it, whereas FEIT dimmable bulbs flickered bad. My wife thought she was doing a good thing ordering those and I was like... "no no no.. you buy Philips. Their stuff actually works!"

I used to just go with what was cheap and believe some of it would last long enough... but these ratings of 50,000 hours, etc... that's the LEDs being used, not the circuitry used to drive them which seems to be crap in off-brand bulbs. I've gotten bulbs that were marked higher than 3k kelvin.. maybe 3200k and were *MORGUE BLUE*. I've had some marked under 3k that still weren't right, so you can't always trust the ratings.

Philips used to be expensive, but they're cheap enough nowadays. Not much different from other lesser brands. HD or Lowes should both stock them. I went with the economy Philips 3-packs for the regular style lamp bulbs.. think it was 3/$10. The bulbs aren't heavy, no big heat sink, they feel about as heavy as a regular bulb. Not one problem over years of use now. And the recessed Philips I've had for 6-8 years and no problems with any of those.

Sorry to be very opinionated on this, but been there done that..... sticking with Phillips any time I'm looking for LED bulbs.

#9 5 years ago

I would agree, Philips is a really good brand for led’s. I use GE from Lowe’s, I also used Sylvania brand from Menards. Just make sure whatever brand or color temperature you get, make sure you have a 80 or 90+ CRI anything less is going to look like crap.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/in-home-led-conversion?hl=jtm3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.