(Topic ID: 121110)

In Chicago next week. Good place to play pinball?

By Andretti

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Lermods
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

My wife and I are taking our kids to Chicago next week starting Tuesday thru Friday morning. While they are shopping at some point, I wanted to bail out and go to a good place to play some pinball. I've used the 'pinball map' website to locate some places that have numerous pinballs, but I wanted to ask if anyone had any thoughts on a particular location verses another.

We are staying at a hotel at 701 n michigan ave, and would like to be within reasonable walking distance.

It looks like HQ Beercade mapquest's out to about 3/4 of a mile from my hotel, and Logan Arcade looks to be around 5 miles. I'm a little disappointed neither of them open before 3pm at the earliest, but am still looking for suggestions or recommendations for where to go to play. I don't mind using the 'L', but I'm absolutely not familiar with it, so I don't need to go someplace where I'd need to change trains multiple times to get there and back. Also, since I'm not familiar with the area, is walking to HQ beercade even a good idea if I might be walking back after dark?

The specific reason (other than closeness) I'm mainly looking at these two places is because I'm really interested in playing AC/DC, Twilight Zone, Tron Legacy, The Adams Family, Mustang, Star Trek, and The Walking Dead (But AC/DC, Twilight Zone, Tron, and TWD specifically).

Never having been to a place like this, if there are any other suggestions aside from getting there early, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or insights anyone might have to offer!

Andretti

#2 9 years ago

It's a nice area you could definitely walk it, but I'd take a cab, as you're gonna be right by the lake and it can be pretty windy and cold. Cabs are all over Michigan Ave

#3 9 years ago

I'm not sure about the Beercade place, but Logan's is a worthwhile trip. The place is awesome. Wish they had some sort of snacks and a better soda selection (I'm not a drinker). The place is around 1.5-2.0 hours (depending on traffic) from me but I LOVE it. Wish I could take my son sometime, but it's 21 and over only.

#4 9 years ago

Stratford Square Mall has a nice arcade/bowling. 3 pins Walking Dead, Metallica and Mustang. Hemisphere is more of a repair facility. He does have a lot of machines and a cool guy. Have a good trip. About 40 min west of city. Game 1 Amusements.

#5 9 years ago

I recommend Headquarters River North. Within walking distance. Good selection of games and drinks. Try the Motts drink while you are there. They use real applesauce. Also if you go a little later, they usually have the downstairs open that has several more pins and games.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks much for the info thus far. I appreciate it.

Andretti

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from msteinmetz13:

Stratford Square Mall has a nice arcade/bowling. 3 pins Walking Dead, Metallica and Mustang. Hemisphere is more of a repair facility. He does have a lot of machines and a cool guy. Have a good trip. About 40 min west of city. Game 1 Amusements.

I just went to Round 1 today and all 3 machines are gone. I asked one of their techs if they got rid of them already and he said he didn't think so and that they were bringing in new things and moving things around. If they are gone already that was an awfully short amount of time to have them there. I'm really disappointed as well because this place is right by my work.

#8 9 years ago

+1 on Headquarters River North. Good selection and its quiet on Friday at 3PM. Bring a few bucks for WOZ and one other (Medieval Madness?), the rest are free play.

Machines were all serviced and in good shape when I was there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/in-chicago-next-week-good-place-to-play-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.