Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by mswhat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8773458467056557_(resized).jpg
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago

do none of you have a frys. think best buy with a boat load of parts. micro switches, diodes, transistors, etc.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

True story at Radioshack:

I laughed, I can only imagine when you got to the total:

A: Ok that will be $113.26, do you want the extended warranty with that phone and buy up of unlimited carry over minutes?

or

A: So it looks like I don't see any Alligator brand phone belt clips, but we do carry a full line of clips for most IOS and Android phones, should I add one of those to your order?

#54 8 years ago

Every time I read the title I hear the movie trailer voice and it cracks me up.

There was a store a mile from my house and I miss it.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

do none of you have a frys

Fairly limited...only in CA,TX,AZ,GA,IL,IN,NV,OR,WA

#56 8 years ago

Radiocrap

#57 8 years ago

We have Fry's (I use the one in Concord) that seems to stock a decent collection of electronic goodies - soldering items, transistors, molex connectors, etc.

#58 8 years ago

In addition to ACK Electronics you can give Forbes Distributing a call. They carry electronics supplies (or at least used to).
    They're downtown, 1416 4th Ave S. Give them a call first to make sure they have what you're looking for. 205-251-4104.

#59 8 years ago

Just browsed through The Source (the Canadian remains of Radio Shack) in a mall near my office. It's kind of like having access to a time machine, the store is full of things that no one would spend money on any more. The shelves had about 10% sharper-image type gadgets that no one would probably buy except as christmas stocking stuffers, and 90% things that should be in a clearance bin at Staples since the market doesn't exist any more (portable DVD players, point and shoot cameras, stereo speakers and speaker wire, spindles of cds and dvds, jewel cases, etc, etc).

*** They did have some alligator clips though.

#60 8 years ago

Local = Electronics shop. I use Frys for "common" stuff.
    Fuses; check automotive distributors like AutoZone.

If you don't have a local electronics supplier; your only option is mail order.
    I usually bounce between Mouser and Digikey... mostly the latter.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Just browsed through The Source (the Canadian remains of Radio Shack) in a mall near my office. It's kind of like having access to a time machine, the store is full of things that no one would spend money on any more. The shelves had about 10% sharper-image type gadgets that no one would probably buy except as christmas stocking stuffers, and 90% things that should be in a clearance bin at Staples since the market doesn't exist any more (portable DVD players, point and shoot cameras, stereo speakers and speaker wire, spindles of cds and dvds, jewel cases, etc, etc).
    *** They did have some alligator clips though.

You can build a time machine from RS crap.

8773458467056557_(resized).jpg8773458467056557_(resized).jpg

#62 8 years ago

We have a Frys, but the quality of salesmen is pretty low. You can always find them in groups talking to themselves. Also, when you ask them where something is at, they will point you across the store. Once you get there and ask someone where that product is at, they will send you back where you started. This has happened to me 100% of the time.

They also have 70 individual checkout registers. 3 of which are open.

#63 8 years ago

The key... is to avoid those Fry's sales-droids at all costs.
    For electronic components; you are more intelligent that they ever could be.
    They don't know the difference between an Ohm and a Mho.

I've started using their in-store pickup option... it's easier because you don't have to guess where it is... they go find it and let you know when it's ready; then you head that direction.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

The key... is to avoid those Fry's sales-droids at all costs.
    For electronic components; you are more intelligent that they ever could be.
    They don't know the difference between an Ohm and a Mho.

Same with any associate at any big box store.

Would you trust the **master electrician** that works for $11 at HomeDepot? If he were any kind of electrician, why would he not be earning $34 union scale?

#65 8 years ago

These are so funny to read!
    Yet so sad. It's like watching an old pet get up there in years and it can no longer do the things it used to.
    Outdated and droopy.
    I wish we had a Frys here.
    Enaud, thanks for the local suggestions!
    Do I know you? Are you in the league?
    I was one block over from 4th avenue south today.

#66 8 years ago

Problem with Frys is much more than just the technical stuff with electronic components. The store is laid out so poorly, and the employees are stuck to their own section that they don't know where anything else is.

Their sales people aren't just dull with electronic components, it's across the board. They stupidly split their computer sections up. Motherboards are on one side of the store, sound cards and graphic cards are a half mile away on the other side of the store. And for all the other small little accessories and such, they've split their selection up. Headphones are in 3 different locations throughout the store. Phone batteries are in two. I've now been there enough that I can pretty much figure out where the stuff I want is at. But when I went with a friend, when he was looking for a very specific product, I told him about the problem I had with their sales people sending me across the store and back.

We go to the area where be both thought his thing would be. Sure enough, the salesman said to go over to the section over on the other side of the building. I BEGGED my friend to ask another employee in that new section to ask for the item, even after we found it ourselves, just to confirm what I just said.

#67 8 years ago

What I did when I got into the hobby was to stock up on common electronic parts and a bunch of different fuses from mouser.com. Seems like the old pinrepair site had a list of stuff to have on hand.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Same with any associate at any big box store.
    Would you trust the **master electrician** that works for $11 at HomeDepot? If he were any kind of electrician, why would he not be earning $34 union scale?

Just like trusting someone working at a Guitar Center for an instrument/equipment purchase. Although you'll find the occasional needle in the haystack, most don't know their ass from their elbow. Like you said, once you have that sorta knowledge, you're usually not working at a place like that for that kind money. Not knocking anyone working at one though. I used to work at both Ratshack & Guitar Center a long time ago.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from Giraffejumper:

These are so funny to read!
    Yet so sad. It's like watching an old pet get up there in years and it can no longer do the things it used to.
    Outdated and droopy.
    I wish we had a Frys here.
    Enaud, thanks for the local suggestions!
    Do I know you? Are you in the league?
    I was one block over from 4th avenue south today.

You might. I came in fourth place in C division this past league. Looking forward to the next league.

#70 8 years ago

Maybe give this place a try

Sullivancomm.com

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/in-a-world-without-radio-shack/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.