3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mswhat
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8773458467056557_(resized).jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Newb here.
    Where in the world do you guys go now to get resistors/ diodes/ etc without the physical Radio Shacks existing any more???!!!
    Do you Internet mail order everything?
    I have driven everywhere it seems like.
    Home Depot.
    Lowes.
    Sears.
    Best Buy.
    My local mom and pop hardware store.
    I can't find a simple desoldering bulb or sucker for anything.
    I'm out of ideas!
    I don't mind mail order, but it takes so long, and I used to could just drive ten minutes to Radio Shack if I forgot something or got the wrong part.
    Thank you for any suggestions!
    -Phil

#2 3 years ago

I have a few local electronic shops that have anything I need in a hurry but expensive but there are tons of places online that sell everything you need . Great Plains is a good one I use

#3 3 years ago

Post what city you live in, someone here should have a lead. It seems to be a pretty large urban area with that many big box stores nearby. You might try calling around to small appliance or tv/radio repair shops in the area and see where they get their supplies.

#4 3 years ago

I forgot to mention that I am in Birmingham, AL

#5 3 years ago

Electronic stores have gone away here too. Can't even find basic soldering supplies.

#6 3 years ago

I use Digi-Key (digikey.com) and sometimes Mouser (mouser.com). Both have huge inventories, which can be overwhelming if you just want a standard part. Delivery from Mouser might be faster for you since they're located in the south. Great Plains (greatplainselectronics.com) is a good choice since he focuses on pinball-related parts.

#7 3 years ago

Amazon prime. Free two day shipping.

#8 3 years ago

plus, you're only 2-day shipping from pinball life and 1-day from marco's using priority mail

#9 3 years ago

Mostly GPE, Big Daddy, or Mouser, sometimes Digi-Key

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Mostly GPE, Big Daddy, or Mouser, sometimes Digi-Key

or ebay(China)

#11 3 years ago

Great Plains Electronics stocks most of the things you need for pinball electronics and is a frequent poster here on pinside. Good to support the folks that support the pinball community (good prices too!)

#12 3 years ago

We still have 2 Radio Shacks in my town. Though their selection is dwindling, I use them all the time for the small things to avoid shipping fees and delays. I have about a 50% hit rate for what I need. Home Depot & Lowes only have wire, zip ties, & tools - only rarely find what I need there.

I prefer to use GPE but their selection rarely seems to meet my needs, or inventory is out when I am buying. Mouser and Digikey have worked out OK in a couple cases, but they just have TOO MUCH to wade through sometimes to find what I need.

So, I usually suck it up and use one of the common pinball suppliers. I get what I need and usually pay more for shipping than the item is worth as I never buy in bulk - tried that and found myself buying stuff I will likely never use. All about convenience from a curated collection of common pinball stuff, I suppose.

#14 3 years ago

ack radio & electronics has a location in Birmingham, AL - or at least they used to have one, and they stock everything one could need to repair electronic devices, pricing is sometimes crazy so usually is best to call and get a price on what you need before stopping by

we have a sister location in Atlanta which i frequent often

#15 3 years ago

GPE, bigdaddy-electronics, mouser, digikey, jameco, newark, allied electronics, mcm, parts-express, tayda, verical, ebay...

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_Parts_Suppliers

#16 3 years ago

It's funny how much we all hated Radio Shack because of their underpaid workers who (shock!) weren't trained to properly handle our needs, and their incessant cell phone flogging. Now that they are gone it absolutely sucks - it was a great place to grab a fuse, component, or tool in a pinch.

There are still a few around but I really miss the convenience of having them everywhere.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

GPE, bigdaddy-electronics, mouser, digikey, jameco, newark, allied electronics, mcm, parts-express, tayda, verical, ebay...
    http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_Parts_Suppliers

Wow! Great resource - bookmarked.

#18 3 years ago

Mostly Great Plains Electronics, Ed is awesome.

If for some reason he doesn't have a component you need, maybe an old out-of-production ram or something, then Ebay is your friend. It is often possible to find old pulled components for sale in bulk out of China.

#19 3 years ago

I must be lucky I still have 2 Radio Shacks within 15 mins of me. For how long is the question.

#20 3 years ago

http://www.pinballsearch.com is another good link to keep bookmarked when looking for parts.

If anyone knows of electronic stores anywhere near the Cleveland area please chime in! Pretty sure all of our Radio Shacks are gone.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Mostly Great Plains Electronics, Ed is awesome.
    If for some reason he doesn't have a component you need, maybe an old out-of-production ram or something, then Ebay is your friend. It is often possible to find old pulled components for sale in bulk out of China.

Just keep in mind that not all parts coming out of China are genuine. Sometimes you luck out, but sometimes they are counterfeit, remarked, or sometimes a cheaper part numbers are remarked as a more expensive part number with different specs.

#22 3 years ago

Can't forget Aliexpress!

#23 3 years ago

Big Daddy, Arcadechips and others also carry obsolete things. If GPE doesn't have it I usually look at one of those two first.

#24 3 years ago

Got a MicroCenter nearby?

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I have a few local electronic shops that have anything I need in a hurry but expensive but there are tons of places online that sell everything you need . Great Plains is a good one I use

Yup, a local place near me called Debco is a surplus type liquidator for every type of electric component you could name. It's awesome because 90% of their stuff is actually surplus government contract parts that are military grade and rarely fail.

#26 3 years ago

My radio shack is still alive.....and hiring. It's weird.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flake:

My radio shack is still alive.....and hiring. It's weird.

Franchise location probably. The one in my town was bought by Sprint, now they're selling dwindling electronics stock at like 6x normal price while the other 75% of the store is consumer electronics/phones. Nobody cares to fix anything anymore and Chinese manufacturers don't build anything that can be fixed or is worth fixing. For example, I'll be looking for a better retro gaming TV during cleanup week. All sorts of electronics are put out on the curb. Free stuff, and most of the time it works. Sad to see people just throw out good stuff because it's "old."

#28 3 years ago

My local supplier just went out of business after 50 years so now I have no local electronics parts supplier any more.

Now I have to use the internet suppliers and I use these:

MCM Electronics
    All Electronics
    Marlin P. Jones
    Jameco Electronics
    Mouser Electronics
    Great Plains Electronics
    Big Daddy

#29 3 years ago

We have gone without Radio Shaft for decades in my opinion. Ever since they got those stupid and useless part drawers and turned the place into cell phones and RC cars. Not even good for a quick fuse or resistor.

In the old days you had walls of parts, a tube tester in the corner and the free battery of the month club. (old man yells at the clouds)

Order online and make a good stock of common used parts.

#30 3 years ago

Well, at least it's not just me!
    The internet is so good for so many things and has ruined so many other things.
    It looks as if I'll just have to order and wait, that the electronics stores have gone the way of Blockbuster, pay phones, and the music industry.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

We have gone without Radio Shaft for decades in my opinion. Ever since they got those stupid and useless part drawers and turned the place into cell phones and RC cars. Not even good for a quick fuse or resistor.

Exactly.

Radioshack has simply been a cell phone store for 15 years.

If you just need a fuse, go to Menards, they still carry the American made ones.

-

True story at Radioshack:

Associate: Hey buddy, what can I help you with?
    Vid: I just need some alligator clips, I know where they are.
    A: Who's your cellphone with?
    Vid: Decepticom.
    A: How's about you let me save you some money on your phone bill?
    V: How are you going to do that?
    A: Give you a lower price. What are you paying?
    V: $39 a month. Unlimited Data/text/voice.
    A: OK.....I'm going to make you a happy man today........ (he's poking in the computer).
    A: Alright, how does $99 a month sound; UNLIMITED?
    V: I just told you I pay $39 a month, unlimited. Why would I want to pay $99?
    A: Because I never heard of this Decepticom!
    V: Just the clips for today.
    A: You sure??? Pick out any of these phones! (points to the showcase) I'm saving you like big cash if you add it all up. You know, if you REALLY compare.
    V: Just the clips.

#32 3 years ago

Hate small boutique stores. I just want to browse. Your selection and store is so small, I can find what I want. Don't want to play 20 questions. If I wanted a specific item, and was too lazy or wanted the company of someone to hand me the item from the shelf after joining me on me 10 foot trip , I would ask.

Yes I know you pre-order. no I will not pre-order. I am not a rewards member. no I do not want to be. What brings me into your store? Nothing now, you made it weird, I'm leaving.

BTW. We still have a Radio Shack here. Bought a few things to fix the pinball. But not only is the store pushy about cell phones, they moved the phone sales people outside. So they were already harassing you before you even opened the door.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

So, just to confirm... no new phone for you

That's a RIOT!
    faz

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.
    Radioshack has simply been a cell phone store for 15 years.
    If you just need a fuse, go to Menards, they still carry the American made ones.
    -
    Associate: Hey buddy, what can I help you with?
    Vid: I just need some alligator clips, I know where they are.
    A: Who's your cellphone with?
    Vid: Decepticom.
    A: How's about you let me save you some money on your phone bill?
    V: How are you going to do that?
    A: Give you a lower price. What are you paying?
    V: $39 a month. Unlimited Data/text/voice.
    A: OK.....I'm going to make you a happy man today........ (he's poking in the computer).
    A: Alright, how does $99 a month sound; UNLIMITED?
    V: I just told you I pay $39 a month, unlimited. Why would I want to pay $99?
    A: Because I never heard of this Decepticom!
    V: Just the clips for today.
    A: You sure??? Pick out any of these phones! (points to the showcase) I'm saving you like big cash if you add it all up. You know, if you REALLY compare.
    V: Just the clips.

The associate was falling down on the job--he forgot to ask you about batteries

#35 3 years ago

It's like the convenience stores, always upselling. You go in to get a Coke, and you get, "Want some cigarettes with that? How about a loaf of bread."

No. Just ring up my order and STFU. If I wanted that stuff, I'd get it on my own.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Franchise location probably. The one in my town was bought by Sprint, now they're selling dwindling electronics stock at like 6x normal price while the other 75% of the store is consumer electronics/phones. Nobody cares to fix anything anymore and Chinese manufacturers don't build anything that can be fixed or is worth fixing. For example, I'll be looking for a better retro gaming TV during cleanup week. All sorts of electronics are put out on the curb. Free stuff, and most of the time it works. Sad to see people just throw out good stuff because it's "old."

That makes perfect sense, there's a huge sprint store in it now.

#37 3 years ago

That's so funny!
    I've been complaining about that cell phone stuff for years.
    I went in to get some audio cables. I knew exactly what I wanted and exactly where they were.
    Guy stopped me about the cell phones, told me they didn't have the cables.
    I told him I didn't want the phone and he went to harass a different customer.
    He was the one to ring up my order.
    I told him that I was glad that he helped me so well as I paid for the cables that he said they didn't have!

#38 3 years ago

Most Radio Shacks around me are gone. And before they closed, the electronics components selections were getting to be pretty useless.

Somewhat near me is Wayne Electronics in Wayne NJ. It's got to be the last mom & pop electronics store around

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Can't forget Aliexpress!

If you want your credit card to be ripped off this is a good one - seriously. I went into radio shack looking for solder wick. They didn't have any. I asked if they could order some - they said no. They said they get what they get. That was a couple months ago. Radio shack is kinda a waste of time - call ahead..

#40 3 years ago

FRY Electronics is the only "big box" store that I know of that sells electronic repair stuff.

#41 3 years ago

Radio shack has been a browse store for at least 15years. Each year seeing less and less real electronics. I miss laughing at the 1.98 blister pack of two 47 bulbs.

I have many fond memories of store though and a few really good deals on those browse trips. Usually on the manager clearance tables or just by talking with the manager.

I can only think of one time RS actually had a pin transistor that saved me from ordering online.

I think out of the thirteen or more stores in my area two are left. So I can still get my browse fix and remember days of free batteries.

#42 3 years ago

I've driven by this place a few dozen times, but never stopped-in. Sort of local to me ~50 miles.

Might be worth a try.

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com

#43 3 years ago

Honestly, Radio Shack would have been better off eliminating their cellphone business and focusing on making Radio Shack a hub for hobby electronics and make-your-own robot kits. I order all my electronics online because I have to. After including shipping, it would have been cheaper to buy from the shack... They forgot what they were about though

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

Honestly, Radio Shack would have been better off eliminating their cellphone business and focusing on making Radio Shack a hub for hobby electronics and make-your-own robot kits. I order all my electronics online because I have to. After including shipping, it would have been cheaper to buy from the shack... They forgot what they were about though

The younger generation would rather play with a cell phone than learn how it works. Also, they might have to hire employees with half a brain.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

3D printing and maker spaces might have revitalized it. But, they missed the boat on that one.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

3D printing and maker spaces might have revitalized it. But, they missed the boat on that one.

I think they could have been successful supplying 3d printers and replacement parts. I could have turned their business plan around if only they had made me CEO.

1 week later
    #47 3 years ago

You guys were not kidding!
    It turns out that there are a couple of Radio Shacks left in the Birmingham area.
    They look more like cell phone stores, and barely have anything else.
    The drawers that hold diodes, transistors, etc, are basically empty!!!
    Oh well.
    Back to the internet.

#48 3 years ago

Offer to buy the drawers.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

FRY Electronics is the only "big box" store that I know of that sells electronic repair stuff.

Yup. I'm lucky to have one near me.

Ironically, it's in the old Incredible Universe building where I worked 20 years ago.

#50 3 years ago

Before the fall of Radio Shack, I stopped in looking for fuses. They were out of the ones I needed. The salesman told me "I think we had a rush on them last week. We'll have more tomorrow."

Pretty sure people did not rush into the store to buy fuses. Also pretty sure they will not be in tomorrow. (They weren't. Nor were they the following week.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11,500.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 259.99
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 269.00
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 59.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside