• 10 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Please help if possible, total newby -

I am having an issue where the pop up bumper (under whiplash) is not responding when the ball hits it. It simply is dead other than the light working as it should. I did a switch test and I noticed that when I tapped the white retainer under the steel ring on the playfield that it did not respond as it should. I called Stern and they told me to press the copper or silver contacts closer together on the bottom the playfield. I tried that and no luck, I noticed that the sound does not come as if there is contact at all during the switch test as it did with the others, as I literally pressed them together. The coil test was okay and so was the lamp test.

Does anyone have an idea of what this might be?

Thanks ahead of time.

#2 8 years ago

Clean the leaf blade switch. Put a piece of paper between the blades, gently hold them closed, then pull the paper out.

Then switch test - push them together - do they register on the DMD ?

If not, then start checking for a break in wiring from the switch to the board in the head. This is assuming they aren't stuck closed.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

Thanks -

I cleaned the blades no difference, I checked and they are not stuck together as well. I will look for a break in the wiring at this point. Any other ideas are very welcome.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from jpc211245:

I will look for a break in the wiring at this point.

I'd grab a meter and check each wire from switch to board. Sort it out fast.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks but this is where I run into trouble......the wires are everywhere and honestly I have no clue what I am even looking for or what I will do when I find it.

#6 8 years ago

I have a volt meter but could really use a walk through - If anybody has time please PM me for a quick phone call.

Thanks

#7 8 years ago

Youtube is littered with how to videos. Find one for your meter or how to check continuity.

Your switch has two wires. Each one has a base color, and a stripe of some color.

Find the same color wires going to the board in the head. Then check continuity of each wire. If one doesn't have continuity then from the board to the switch, follow along with the meter. Try and find a broken wire or suspect connection at another switch or IDC connector.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks for the help but youtube does not answer my questions so I'll wait for Stern if I can not find direct help. This is the reason of buying a new machine so I would have support as I learn. Going to youtube blindly will likely get me electrocuted and that would delay the machine getting fixed.

#9 8 years ago

You check continuity with the power off.

Take your meter. Set it to ohms. Touch the two meter probes together. See what it says. Now take a piece of wire - bare wire on each end. Touch one probe to one end. The other probe to the other end. Your meter should read the same as touching the two probes together.

That is how you check continuity.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.95
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/imve-pop-up-bumper-not-responding-to-ball-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.