(Topic ID: 166000)

IMVE is (was) Number 1? Now MM Re-make? This all Needs to Stop...

By Billy16

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 226 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

top100(3) (resized).JPG
top100(2) (resized).JPG
Minimum_Ratings_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
simplejack_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
o-face.gif
Screen_Shot_2016-08-11_at_7.43.00_am_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image-2_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
46328714_(resized).jpg
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 7 years ago

An IM is an IM, original version or the VE. Same with SM. There are way too many variations of games scattered throughout the ratings. TAF and TAF Gold have their own ratings--why? Every new Stern game has three sets of ratings--what is the point? I say we lump all the Pros, LE's, Gold's, Premiums, Platinums, Zirconium's, etc. all together and condense the ratings some. Whatever version is being rated will surely be noted in the comments. Way too many similar games being given way too much individual attention and cluttering up the ratings. Just my opinion.

#2 7 years ago

46328714_(resized).jpg46328714_(resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Pinside is a Joke if allows ratings for TAF gold, LOTR LE, IMVE (etc..)

What's next a separate category for Luci or for Met pro LED edition?

At least SM VE has new dots and call outs.

#4 7 years ago

It has been that way for awhile and gets worse with each successful new release. I tend to agree with you but there are those that feel each game plays differently enough to be listed separately.

#5 7 years ago

Ratings are over rated.....they don't really matter. They are fun and novel at best. People that care about bragging rights or resellers care how high a game is ranked.....

They are meant to be fun but people have biases so very hard to make a rating system that is objective.

Multiple versions do clutter it up but the pro and premium/LE versions can have different game play. AC/DC pro is arguably very ugly with the Angus face but the premium is much more pleasing to the eye. Art is part of a game rating. SM/SMVE could probably be lumped as could IM/IMVE as gameplay is the same but if features are different as pro vs premium/LE then it makes a difference. This has been discussed many times. Bottom line is we all have our own opinions about what games we like and why we like them.........at the end of the day I don't need a rating system to tell me what games I "should" like or buy.

#6 7 years ago

I can understand ranking some Pros separately from some Prem/LEs. However, isn't IMVE the exact same package as the original IM? These really shouldn't be listed separately. I understand that the ratings are fun and nothing more, but let's give them some semblance of meaning at least.

#7 7 years ago

It makes sense for indicating in your collection which version you have, although it starts to not make sense when you have the ratings split up like that.

This topic has been brought up many times before, and there's certainly some ways out there to deal with it, but none are easy fixes.

#8 7 years ago

I also believe It's not a priority but Robin ha been open to suggestions on this. Definitely agree an easy way to group them is nice and perhaps a weighted ranking system....only to prevent a game with 10 rankings that are ranked top in every category jumping to number one.....very easy to skew. Hard to find a balanced scale for a new game to compete against an older title with hundreds of rankings.

Enjoy it for what it is and if a game you own is the flavor of the month woo hoo I guess. I like looking through the list occasionally to remind me of games I forget about or have not played.

#9 7 years ago

I agree TAF and TAF gold should be the same rating. Same with spider man black and original spider man. It starts getting tougher with games like XMen pro and Xmen LE, they look different and play different...they are not the same game. Spider Man VE has all different dots and what not...not the same game either.

#10 7 years ago

Only noobs pay attention to rankings. There are a ton if gems that don't even scratch the top 100 list.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Only noobs pay attention to rankings. There are a ton if gems that don't even scratch the top 100 list.

Quicksilver, Seawitch and Stargazer.......just to name a few

#12 7 years ago

I think it's all good to get really in to the rankings if that's your thing. I'm not sure it really means much.

#13 7 years ago

Pro/VE/PREM/LE/ should have 1 rating. They are all the same basic playfield and all are the same theme.There are so many great titles like BSD that should be 8-10 places higher but there are 2 trons, 2 mets, etc ahead. I know ratings don't mean sht but if we have them lets do them right.

#15 7 years ago

I rate Ironman VE

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

Pro/VE/PREM/LE/ should have 1 rating. They are all the same basic playfield and all are the same theme.There are so many great titles like BSD that should be 8-10 places higher but there are 2 trons, 2 mets, etc ahead. I know ratings don't mean sht but if we have them lets do them right.

Have to disagree on this one. Some Games have some significant changes to the play field from Pro to Premium/LE making the gameplay totally different.

#17 7 years ago

It would have to be decided on a case by case basis and that won't make most people happy. IM and IMVE are obviously the same game. SM and SMVE have totally different modes, code, graphics, etc. The only major pro vs LE/Premium game difference that I can think of is GoT. Otherwise, most versions are close enough to the same, though I admit that this is a highly subjective matter. hence the inability to easily fix it.

#18 7 years ago

Hurry up and list it for 15k before the ratings drop lol

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

Do you really think that all Stern Pro and Prem/LE models should share a rating? Some of these pins are significantly different and by grouping them would skew the ratings even more in my opinion. I know the ratings seem "busy" with so many pin variations but in most cases I think they deserve an individual ranking.

A one-click option to filter and selarate the rating system with only newer Sterns, JJP, Heighway, Dutch, Whizbang, with all versions etc would be interesting to see. Maybe something we could store in our user preferences?

#20 7 years ago

Judging by the Top 10, my best pins are getting crappier every time Stern releases a new machine.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Judging by the Top 10, my best pins are getting crappier every time Stern releases a new machine.

I can understand that as well. The all time classics should have a separate rating system. I'd like to see my Scared Stiff and Twilight Zone stay in the top 10 or 15 pins for my own personal satisfaction.

#22 7 years ago

Honestly my take is that you can look at ratings overall to get a feel for common issues or likes, but you really have to play a game yourself to see if it fits you or not...

#23 7 years ago

That's right bitches, suck it. IMVE is the top dog. Número Uno. Gold metal!

IMVEIMVE

Now act like you're supposed to and get in there and manipulate the crap out of those ratings until it is number 72. Get going. You know you want to.

#24 7 years ago

Someone listed all the varieties of AC/DC between Premium, Pro, LE, Luci, LED, etc and I think it was 9 different varieties. We certainly need 9 separate AC/DC machines to rank. Robin, make it happen!

#25 7 years ago

If IM and IMVE are different, then so should WOZ, WOZ ECLE and RR WOZ.

Personally, I think they all should be treated the same, but there is no consistency with how this is done.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Now act like you're supposed to and get in there and manipulate the crap out of those ratings until it is number 72. Get going. You know you want to.

I was actually going to go in and give it a 10. The longer that stays at number 1, the more the list is exposed as a sham. It's a shame, because a lot of the rankings are spot on.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And yet every time you fire one up, remember how badass it is, and the ratings go out the window. I would venture a guess that over half the "new flavors of the month" ratings are by people that don't even own the games. The good classics are getting harder to find, and there's a new, expensive ass machine every week that has crap code, ghosting, etc.

I wouldn't sweat it....your lineup rocks ( except I'm going to vote 11 on AlienLE, btw)

#28 7 years ago

Shouldn't there be three different 8 Ball Deluxes too?

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Shouldn't there be three different 8 Ball Deluxes too?

Don't forget about prototype machines...

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Pinsider "wolfy" jumped right in with 1's across the board. I am sure he won't be the last.

Whatever. Lol

#31 7 years ago

A got pro and a premium are completely different games, I'm not saying they should have 2 different listings......I'm just saying. ...There completely different. ........just saying

#32 7 years ago

I don't know if IMVE is truly #1 but I do know that IM is WAY better than #33!!!

I have IMVE and it is also the third highest ranking pin out of the one's I've rated.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I don't know if IMVE is truly #1 but I do know that IM is WAY better than #33!!!...

Part of my point to get rid of all the duplicate ratings. If (for instance) an AC/DC Pro plays a lot faster than the LE, that can be noted in the narrative--I don't need to see multiple AC/DC's in the top 50. As soon as Stern figures out a way to make one more variant of every game, it's only gonna get worse...

#34 7 years ago

It's legitimate to break out Pro vs Prem/LE for Sterns, as their playfields are different... for example GOT Pro is missing an entire upper playfield. On the other hand IMVE is the same playfield and same rules as IMOG, so it should be one category as far as ratings go, but if you want to track who owns which version it's legitimate for Pinside to track both. SMVE also has the same playfield and same rules as SMOG/SMB, so it's legitimate to argue either way... but SMVE is more debatable as the art, sound and DMD are different, but it's the exact same game.

I don't blame Pinside, the problem is the manufacturers releasing as many of 5 variants of the same game... and the consumers who buy into it. We're now stuck with this mess for better or for worse, so you'd be best to accept it... but I would recommend that the Pinside guys spend some time to consolidate models where possible in the game rankings and reviews.

#35 7 years ago

Nelson approves!

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I don't blame Pinside, the problem is the manufacturers releasing as many of 5 variants of the same game... and the consumers who buy into it. We're now stuck with this mess for better or for worse, so you'd be best to accept it... but I would recommend that the Pinside guys spend some time to consolidate models where possible in the game rankings and reviews.

It kind of reminds me of the baseball card industry in a way. In the 1980's and prior, you pretty much just had one version of each card to to collect. Then in the 1990's you started getting multiple sub-sets, autographed chase cards, and serially numbered LE cards with chrome, sterling, silver, and gold versions of each one. What was once a simple, straight-forward, and charming hobby suddenly became virtually impossible to keep up with even if you were focusing on just one player's cards and not going for all the sets. Maybe that's not a valid comparison, though. It is a "cardgument" after all.

#37 7 years ago

Iron Man Classic. 10K by xmas

image-2_(resized).jpgimage-2_(resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago

Does this really matter to anyone? Are some of you basing your purchases and what games you keep on the pinside ratings?

They are all nonsense. New buyers inflate ratings, people with 90's b/w games then freak out and give them bad rating so there precious games are not bumped. Buy and play what games you like, who gives a rats ass about the rankings on pinside. There are about 3 reviewers that I always look for when I'm checking out a game, I completely ignore the other ratings.

#39 7 years ago

If any old school Bally fans want to start a side group to go sway ratings then let me know.

I figure we need about 15 of us per game rating it super high (as they should be) and we can go move some of them into the top 10 (where they should be).

We could start up an old school email list and then have a coordinated effort and timing for specific games. Put in out new rating on a Saturday so they all update in the system when it batches on Sundays.

#40 7 years ago

Please look at my wish list and downvote those games.
I want to get them cheap.

#41 7 years ago

I've heard this suggestion before. Every version of a game should be lumped into a subgroup and the highest version of a game should be the one listed on the ranking list. So for example, if GOT pro had a score of 7 and premium had a score of 8.5 and LE had a score of 8.2 then the premium would be the one shown on the ranking list. That might be hard to overhaul the system like that though.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I've heard this suggestion before. Every version of a game should be lumped into a subgroup and the highest version of a game should be the one listed on the ranking list. So for example, if GOT pro had a score of 7 and premium had a score of 8.5 and LE had a score of 8.2 then the premium would be the one shown on the ranking list. That might be hard to overhaul the system like that though.

Yes, agree

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Pinside is a Joke if allows ratings for TAF gold, LOTR LE, IMVE (etc..)

People who get riled up over pinside game ratings are a joke. They are not important.

I do think Pros/LE/PRem are different games. In the case of a machine like Walking Dead it's a big difference.

#44 7 years ago

But I said Taf gold and LotR LE those are the same game just like IMve is the same as IM

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If any old school Bally fans want to start a side group to go sway ratings then let me know.
I figure we need about 15 of us per game rating it super high (as they should be) and we can go move some of them into the top 10 (where they should be).
We could start up an old school email list and then have a coordinated effort and timing for specific games. Put in out new rating on a Saturday so they all update in the system when it batches on Sundays.

Dude you've got to be kidding

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Dude you've got to be kidding

I am not talking about making fake ratings. I am talking about concerted effort to rate games which dont have many ratings and deserve their proper place in the top 100

Quite a few of us Bally classics lovers that could easily go put in our ratings on a different game each week and make a real effort to bring more value to the pinside top 100.

Take on an assigned game, go play it a bunch and then provide proper reviews and ratings.

Want to really see the fanboys melt, then just look what happens when the precious ratings are turned upside down and the top 10 is all solidstate classics, LOL.

note: I only put in honest ratings, but it just so happens I like differnet games than the crappy rehash stuff that has been coming out lately.

I do think it is funny that you have put in the effort to rate exactly 1 machine.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not talking about making fake ratings. I am talking about concerted effort to rate games which dont have many ratings and deserve their proper place in the top 100
Quite a few of us Bally classics lovers that could easily go put in our ratings on a different game each week and make a real effort to bring more value to the pinside top 100.
Take on an assigned game, go play it a bunch and then provide proper reviews and ratings.
Want to really see the fanboys melt, then just look what happens when the precious ratings are turned upside down and the top 10 is all solidstate classics, LOL.
note: I only put in honest ratings, but it just so happens I like differnet games than the crappy rehash stuff that has been coming out lately.
I do think it is funny that you have put in the effort to rate exactly 1 machine.

Yea and I just did that after like two years in the hobby. That's how little I give a shit about ratings or posting scores.

IM is the whole reason I got into the hobby. My gateway drug.

#49 7 years ago

I disagree with pretty much every rating in the top 100 so its all crap, a very loose guideline for potential purchases? sure, fun to rate games? yeah but otherwise who cares, seems the only reason to be interested in what others think of a game is for setting a price that is either way to high or way to low, MM 10K and Popeye 2k is a joke, MM is clearly the better game but 5 times better, not for me or SweetPea.

#50 7 years ago

This is dumb, because now that IMVE is #1, by next week it will drop to 50 because there will be a bunch of 1s and 2s ratings by dumpers to try and push it down. The whole charts need to be retooled badly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 24.95
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/imve-is-number-1-this-all-needs-to-stop?hl=rbissett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.