(Topic ID: 166000)

IMVE is (was) Number 1? Now MM Re-make? This all Needs to Stop...

By Billy16

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 226 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

top100(3) (resized).JPG
top100(2) (resized).JPG
Minimum_Ratings_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
simplejack_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
o-face.gif
Screen_Shot_2016-08-11_at_7.43.00_am_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image-2_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
46328714_(resized).jpg
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

My original point exactly, put them all together and free up some room!

Just change the rules to allow 150 games to be in the top 100. I swear I'm 110% in favor of this.

#202 7 years ago

There are six different versions of MET.
Let's rate them all separately!

YEE HAH!

Read rating comments, or don't even bother. Many people have not played the games they rate, don't own the games they say they do, or played examples in poor routed condition. Look for people that actually know what the !@$# they are even talking about regarding pinball design, history, or gameplay.

Even pinballreviews.com is better and those are over 10-15 years old.

YEE HAH! x 10e>6!

Don't worry Stern BMVE edition is coming soon. It will be #1 as well.
Let's rate PBRCC #1, while we are talking right now.
It is clearly original right?

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I would argue that this is an all or none proposition. Either *all* variants of a particular machine should be folded together, or it should be left as it is now. FWIW, I'd argue they should all be folded together-- I can't see any good reason why the Premium/LE versions shouldn't be folded together with the Pro versions.

So then would you agree that Iron Man Classic ratings need to be folded in with IM and IMVE ratings? It is after all a variant of the same game. How about the Costco version of Batman Dark Knight? Or "The Pin" versions of Transformers and The Avengers?

#204 7 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

So then would you agree that Iron Man Classic ratings need to be folded in with IM and IMVE ratings? It is after all a variant of the same game. How about the Costco version of Batman Dark Knight?

Aren't these games the same just without a coin door?

#205 7 years ago

I think there are other differences as well. IM Classic sells for less than half what a regular IM does.

#206 7 years ago

It's nonsensical, even hypocritical, to group VE's separately, as well as other pins that have only cosmetic or price differences, considering that premium and LE pins have basically the same differences (e.g., art and price) and yet Pinside groups prem/le together. It's the same thing with various JJP offerings grouped together, etc. Consistency has never been a strong point on Pinside.

Keep pins that have playfield feature gameplay differences separate. Otherwise group together. Easy to do and be consistent. Robin said he is changing the rating system so we'll see.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I hope Robin doesn't change the actual system of rating games. I actually like that quite a bit with the ability for each person to decide what is important to them.

I think this needs a major overhaul with reviewers given a lot more freedom with weightings. Currently ruleset can have a maximum weight of a meagre 10%, which is absurd; ruleset really determines about 30-40% of a game's quality. Layout, fun and lastability are also severely underrepresented in the current system.

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

I think this needs a major overhaul with reviewers given a lot more freedom with weightings. Currently ruleset can have a maximum weight of a meagre 10%, which is absurd; ruleset really determines about 30-40% of a game's quality. Layout, fun and lastability are also severely underrepresented in the current system.

That's the beauty of the system. Your opinion is not necessarily like others. To me Layout is tops with art and sound next and then ruleset. WWE is a game that has a pretty deep ruleset but I don't like the layout so I'm generally not a fan of the game. Early SS games like Flight 2000 and Alien Star have pretty shallow rules but great layouts.

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's the beauty of the system. Your opinion is not necessarily like others.

But my opinion is that ruleset is worth a hell of a lot more than 10%, and the current system won't acknowledge that and allow me to adjust the weightings accordingly. If every category coud be increased to whatever percentage the reviewer believes it is worth (not limited to 10%) then the rankings would be a much more accurate reflection of people's opinions.

#210 7 years ago

since this is the current topic for complaining about ratings...

I would like to see a category in the ratings of each game for competitive play. For example, there are many games that game be average when playing alone but AMAZING when playing against a buddy or 3.

I often read reviews and people that play alone rate a game as poorly because they think it is one dimensional. Pinball was meant to be played on route as mulitplayer games. This category needs to be included and rated.

I actually think it should be another main catergory with mutliple sub categories (strategy, diversity, balanced, etc...)

#211 7 years ago

Do those bogus flags for ratings do anything?

Is there anyway we can rate people that do ratings?

I'd love to rate against dudes that just put down 10s and 2s...and make their ratings invalid...imagine these people judging an Olympic games or being in a jury... fortunately these people would get screened out...but not here

#212 7 years ago

I said it before, make 5 the minimum. I can't stand WOZ but its still pinball and its impossible to rate as a 1, could balance things out, then again who gives a shit.

#213 7 years ago

A simple solution really is to remove 10% of the outliers based on number of ratings.

100 ratings for a game and the top 10 and bottom 10 are removed.

granted I think if any real overhaul comes to the system then the best thing would be to start a rolling average based on the past 5 years of ratings.

#214 7 years ago

If you're going to have a 10 point system, then using numbers 1-10 should be allowed. The ratings only pertain to pinball so the reason all pinball is above a 5 doesn't seem correct. If you're getting offended because someone rated a game a 1 or a 10 then you're taking the system too seriously.

I know I rate games too high. My lowest game is below 5 and it's Hercules but everything else is pretty much above average. When I'm as experienced as some guys on here I'm sure I'll be able to tell a 1 game from a 5 game.

#215 7 years ago

Based on the machines you've ranked, where would you draw the line below which you would never want in your collection? Right now I think mine would be 7.1. I have a whopping five games rated below that number. Most of the games in my collection or wanted list are rated 7.5 to 8.0.

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Based on the machines you've ranked, where would you draw the line below which you would never want in your collection? Right now I think mine would be 7.1. I have a whopping five games rated below that number. Most of the games in my collection or wanted list are rated 7.5 to 8.0.

Sadly I think I would take any game on the list if it was priced right even Hercules.

I look at my list of rated games and there are many games that are rated lower on the list but I want more than games that are rated higher.

The lowest rated game I own is 80 out of 87, Vacation America. It was cheap and rare and I thought, "why not?"

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

A simple solution really is to remove 10% of the outliers based on number of ratings.
100 ratings for a game and the top 10 and bottom 10 are removed.

I thought I would post this revelation here. There is a custom tab in the Top 100 list where you can tailor the rankings to what you want. Here's a pic of a top 100 of Solid State games where the average removed outliers.

top100(2) (resized).JPGtop100(2) (resized).JPG

#218 7 years ago

Hmmm...interesting how that worked out. Certainly knocked (for better or worse) Stern down a few pegs, and no way those two J-Pop pins should rate in the top 10.

#219 7 years ago

Check out removed outliers, last 6 months, and I lowered the required number of ratings because of the short time span.

top100(3) (resized).JPGtop100(3) (resized).JPG

Robocop probably enjoyed a bump because of Pinburgh. Avengers because of the new code.

#220 7 years ago

Woah, dude--that is a scary looking Top Ten!

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I've rated 28 games and would not want the bottom 11- nothing lower than Creature at 6.793. The next highest score is 6.192, so the cutoff is somewhere between those two numbers.

#222 7 years ago

I have rated 63 games currently and would not own the bottom 7. Anything 3.5 or below.

Granted I have a decent sized collection and can find redeeming quality in even the crappiest games. For example, I would possibly own a Tron because others seem to like it and I enjoy when others are having fun playing my games.

6 months later
#223 7 years ago

I thought something was going to happen, but it hasn't. We did get "kinder" to each other, but no change to the rating system to get rid of all the nebulous game reviews that are of basically the same game, just slightly different. Now the MM remake is number one? Come on, Robin, let's make a change here!

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I thought something was going to happen, but it hasn't. We did get "kinder" to each other, but no change to the rating system to get rid of all the nebulous game reviews that are of basically the same game, just slightly different. Now the MM remake is number one? Come on, Robin, let's make a change here!

I thought my pins seemed slightly less valuable today.

#225 7 years ago

Ratings are pure BS. One person gave SM Black a rating of 1, means the worst possible score on every category.

#226 7 years ago

...and Dialed In is #13...even though nobody owns one yet and the code is incomplete. I predict AFMR debuts at number 4.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/imve-is-number-1-this-all-needs-to-stop/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.