New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 108701)

IMVE - airballs and whips falling off

By bb2j3z

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bb2j3z
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-348.jpg

#1 5 years ago

So recently picked up an IMVE NIB, have a couple issues.

Airballs, I get a lot more than when I played the machine on site. In fact, they hit the glass pretty hard. Most of the time, it seems like when it's coming up the center and then hits either one of the standup targets (drones) or the center monger spinner. Any way to correct? Wondering if it has anything to do with the monger top being a little recessed from the playfield. Can I readjust it to make it level?

Attached the whips to the whiplash figure, but they pop off frequently. What's the best solution for this, gluing them to the hands? It happened so often - I just took them off.

#2 5 years ago

I, unfortunately, cannot answer your queries. However, is it possible there is something amiss in the set-up of your IMVE? On my IMVE I have few, if any, airballs (I cannot recall the last one) and I have not had any issues with the balls hitting the whips. For what it is worth, I have noticed that my IMVE Whiplash area and magnets are not very active.

I also would love to hear others views and possible solutions...

#3 5 years ago

They whips on mine would never stay on, I used very small zip ties and that has worked well and cannot notice them, and is completely reversible. Glue is more permanent.

#4 5 years ago

I've never been under the hood of an Ironman, but there should be a couple of screws on the bottom of the Monger mech that adjusts its height when retracted. Start by getting that flush to the playfield first.

#5 5 years ago

Wax the playfield. That helped with airballs for me.

Upgrade that whiplash figure and you won't have these issues

image-348.jpg
#6 5 years ago

I have the exact same issues. The airballs come mostly when trying to hit the left ramp or the drone targets. I get a fair amount of ramp rejects. Monger has nothing to do with it. Seems that the flippers are very strong. I put the coil setting to soft and it helps, but still get ramp rejects and airballs.

As for the whips, I put a drop of hot glue in his hands and attached the whips. No issues since.

#7 5 years ago

Yes the airballs are coming from the monger lid not being flush with the pf on the backside. If you have pf support rails installed, you can try adjusting the monger assembly by using the 2 screws on the bottom of the bracket. If you can't get it to adjust correctly, do what i did. Take the monger lid off and put some tiny pieces of electrical tape or whatever around the screw holes that holds down the lid until you get it as close to flush with the top of the pf as you can. PITA to get it level but that is what causes the airballs.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jackal2001:

Yes the airballs are coming from the monger lid not being flush with the pf on the backside. If you have pf support rails installed, you can try adjusting the monger assembly by using the 2 screws on the bottom of the bracket. If you can't get it to adjust correctly, do what i did. Take the monger lid off and put some tiny pieces of electrical tape or whatever around the screw holes that holds down the lid until you get it as close to flush with the top of the pf as you can. PITA to get it level but that is what causes the airballs.

Exactly THIS! That did it for met too. Took some time until it was working but no more air balls at all since it is adjusted to be even with the playfield.
The 2 screws under the bracket bottom are what you should be looking for. Then adjust-test-adjust-test-adjust-test….until it works.
If the lid is too low then those borders of the hole are like a friggin ramp.

#9 5 years ago

I was wrong, sorry guys. After reading the last two posts, took a straight edge to the monger plate and it was sitting a little low in the back creating a ramp affect. I adjusted the plate and no more airballs after three games. I had adjusted this when I first got it, but not with a straight edge. Thanks guys.

#10 5 years ago

http://www.harborfreight.com/super-strong-quick-drying-epoxy-92665.html
I heard that's good for the whips

no issues w/ airballs for me but it makes sense if the monger lid isnt leveled/lined up properly that could cause it.

#11 5 years ago

I have an issue with the center spinner. It works fine with softer shots but it seems if I hit it with a hard direct hit it stops the ball dead and does not spin, then the ball falls back down the playfield.

Is there any kind of adjustment for the spinner?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I have an issue with the center spinner. It works fine with softer shots but it seems if I hit it with a hard direct hit it stops the ball dead and does not spin, then the ball falls back down the playfield.
Is there any kind of adjustment for the spinner?

You can try putting a washer underneath the spinner bracket to raise it higher. That's a common issue/solution with spinners in general, but I'm not sure how the center spinner is mounted on IM.

Also, make sure the spinner isn't moving backwards when it's hit with a strong hit, causing the spinner to clip the metal ball guides briefly. IIRC that spinner is placed in tight quarters so that might be another thing to check.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakenjoi:

You can try putting a washer underneath the spinner bracket to raise it higher. That's a common issue/solution with spinners in general, but I'm not sure how the center spinner is mounted on IM.
Also, make sure the spinner isn't moving backwards when it's hit with a strong hit, causing the spinner to clip the metal ball guides briefly. IIRC that spinner is placed in tight quarters so that might be another thing to check.

Hi that was it. It was hitting the metal ball guide when hit hard. I loosened the screws holding the spinner. Then adjusted it and tightened it back up. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Thanks.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Hi that was it. It was hitting the metal ball guide when hit hard. I loosened the screws holding the spinner. Then adjusted it and tightened it back up. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Thanks.

Your avatar pic.....that's just wrong.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

Your Avatar pic.....that's just wrong.

United federation of planet of the apes.

#16 5 years ago

After readjusting the 2 screws below iron monger under the playfield, the top is close to level with the playfield and the airballs have gone down considerably. I still get a few from time to time, but can go through a game without experiencing one. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
5,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monclova, OH
$ 26.95
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside