(Topic ID: 202494)

Impulse swapmeet buy... Did I do good, or just OK?

By Dr_Smith

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20171111_154803 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171111_154902 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171111_154817 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171110_182238 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171111_154843 (resized).jpg
IMG_20171111_154923 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I'm thinkin' I got a fairly good deal on a coin-op air hockey table, but as I have no idea the value and hoped someone could give me a ballpark idea. Everything works (it didn't when I bought it, but out was just a loose connection). I know the value depends on the person, but I figured if nothing else its a large sturdy workbench (something I needed). Only downside was the scoreboard ribbon cable hack: lots of tape and the center pin soldered and the connector busted in 1/2 (but its working). Can someone give me an idea of the value? Also, any ideas on the best way to fix the light gouge and repair the wear? Stain I'm guessin' four the wear? I paid $200, how many of you would have bought it for that price (knowing the fan worked, but the game at time of sale didn't)?

IMG_20171111_154923 (resized).jpgIMG_20171111_154923 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171111_154843 (resized).jpgIMG_20171111_154843 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171110_182238 (resized).jpgIMG_20171110_182238 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171111_154817 (resized).jpgIMG_20171111_154817 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171111_154902 (resized).jpgIMG_20171111_154902 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171111_154803 (resized).jpgIMG_20171111_154803 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I think the wear would have killed it for me, but if it's now working, it will be just as much fun to play as one without wear

#3 6 years ago

I think it's a fair price. I wouldn't have paid much more.

I don't think you can do much about the wear and trying to match it will result in a mess.

Here are some wiring schematics from the Dynamo site - http://www.valley-dynamoparts.com/dynamo_schemas.asp

#4 6 years ago

Damn that thing has seen some use...

#5 6 years ago

From the Dynamo website -

MY PLAYFIELD IS DAMAGED BEYOND ANY HOPE OF REPAIR, CAN I PURCHASE A REPLACEMENT? The answer is yes for coin-operated and Pro Style 8-foot and 7-foot tables, no for 6-foot tables. Playfields are available in the Webstore, but are the most expensive part of the table, and they are expensive to send because they weigh over 150 pounds and must be shipped flat (shipping typically runs in the range of $200, automatically added to the playfield price). Be forewarned: an Air Hockey table that is “in great shape, but just needs a new playfield” might not be as good a deal as it sounds.

#6 6 years ago

With that wear, I would have passed. You would be lucky to get back what you paid for it because if that and because of how big it is.

But, if it's something you bought to enjoy rather than resell, it is an inexpensive source of competative entertainment.

#7 6 years ago

Yeah- wear is pretty extreme... if it plays well and you enjoy it you will get your 200 out of it in fun. Just don't look to flip it!

#8 6 years ago

Well, I just had an air hockey table pop up in my area for $300:

newyork.craigslist.org link

Then I thought to check your area, and there's a whole bunch of them:

lasvegas.craigslist.org link

Looks like you can easily upgrade if you want a nicer looking one.

#9 6 years ago

If you're going to keep it and use it and aren't worried about resale I think you did pretty well. Those are so easy to work on and fix. If you get it up and running and near like new for a $4-500 investment I'd say that is a win.

#10 6 years ago

That's a pretty huge impulse buy item to get home lol! I had to rent a trailer when I bought my dynamo air hockey table.

The wear would have been a deal breaker for me, but for the price you did ok. The good part of that wear is you can let guests and neighborhood kids beat and play the crap out of it and not have to worry about damage.

#11 6 years ago

Enjoy it, then sell for $50.

If you find joy and it doesn't break you, then great purchase.

#12 6 years ago

Usually if you have to ask if an impulse buy was a good one---it wasn't...

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I think the wear would have killed it for me, but if it's now working, it will be just as much fun to play as one without wear

Yea, it's goin' in the garage so I can live with the wear, if it was for inside the hose, then the wear would have killed it for me.

Quoted from Mike_J:

I don't think you can do much about the wear and trying to match it will result in a mess.

Yea, I was 95% sure that was the case. (And thanks for the link)

Quoted from cosmokramer:Damn that thing has seen some use

Quoted from cosmokramer:

Damn that thing has seen some use...

Indeed, coin counter says just over 40,000.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

With that wear, I would have passed. You would be lucky to get back what you paid for it because if that and because of how big it is. But, if it's something you bought to enjoy rather than resell, it is an inexpensive source of competative entertainment.

Yea, not an easy thing to move and that can easily make sellin' it harder. (It was tough movin' it alone, but physics, floor dollys, an old car jack, and determination can do wonders lol) I was planin' on buildin' a big worktable anyway, so it's big and sturdy and will work nicely for that also while savin' me the time and $ to build the worktable.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Then I thought to check your area, and there's a whole bunch of them:

Most I've seen on CL have been Toys R US models or just not sturdy enough for my needs/wants.

Quoted from PNBLWZD:

The good part of that wear is you can let guests and neighborhood kids beat and play the crap out of it and not have to worry about damage.

Exactly!

Quoted from Billy16:

Usually if you have to ask if an impulse buy was a good one---it wasn't...

True story

#14 6 years ago

I'm with ya....If I would have had the money in my pocket and stumbled on it at a sale? I would have had to have it too!

I don't think you did bad if you wanted it to play or use as a work bench like you mentioned. They're fun! And when you get tired of it? Have a sale...Someone else will have to have it.

#15 6 years ago

I love it when my tools float around the table. If you can't reach something just give it a minute.

#16 6 years ago

Just have fun with it.

Our air hockey table gets a ton of use by my kids and guests alike.

#17 6 years ago

Air Hockey is a tough sale but oh so fun if you have the space and the buddies to play it with.

The one at the rec center I hung out at as a kid was worn right thru to the air channels. Not the best player but still worked! If you keep that one waxed up and make sure your paddles and pucks are good you should be fine. If anything I like tables that are a little broken in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/impulse-swapmeet-buy-did-i-do-good-or-just-ok and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.