Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,819 posts
  • 246 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by nacdale
  • Topic is favorited by 377 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1701 (resized).jpeg
    504783-a257170fca2168983d2a6e1bbfec3f44 (resized).jpg
    received_6742998335800442 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    320-3350_HR_0.default (resized).jpg
    607DEEC4-36DB-45AA-8B61-018875778767 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    slika-1109725-631a4b9a8ef1e-velika-3077129719 (resized).jpg
    5580B012-A4F2-4FA4-ADF1-E8801A418BC1 (resized).jpeg
    8CDE1FF8-62E4-40F4-85EF-E93F22435908 (resized).jpeg
    C5D15E76-AC5F-4258-BC0F-0ECB29263D5B (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240222-214420_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    February 2024 DIY Super Kit (resized).jpg
    20240218_102558 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101946 (resized).jpg
    20240218_101928 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5 Simple front speaker swap instructions Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #41 Cabinet speaker replacement instructions/info Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #162 Kicker vs JBL speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #165 MBQuart vs Alpine speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #186 Kenwood vs Pyle speaker comparison Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #244 Stern amplifier and sound signal output INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #269 5.25" speaker overall ranking to date Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #352 Speaker baffles info and summary Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #392 Adding an Amplifier (General) INFO Posted by davegauth (2 years ago)

Post #424 Thingverse file link for printing 5.25" speaker mount Posted by Sleal16 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pugster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#103 2 years ago

Following, great work!

Are you going to make the 5.25” adapter files open source or are you planning on selling them? For the record - I think getting some $$$ for all of your work is just fine. Although seeing them on thingverse would be pretty amazing too

#148 2 years ago

Any issue with the (probably) underpowered amp overheating pushing the 8ohm setting with 4ohm speakers?

1 week later
    #187 2 years ago

Thanks for all of this. There’s a sale at Canadian Tire for those in Canada on Kicker 5.25” speakers (DS series @$59.95) and I’m going to snap a pair up even though it’ll be months until I see my GZ premium. Reviews suggest they should be nearly as good as the CS series for this application.

On that note, did we land on the best way to modify a premium to accept flush-mount speakers? Buy the plates from someone like speakerlightkits? Modify the plates myself? 3D print some adapters?

Thanks again, having fun following this thread.

#190 2 years ago
    Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I've designed a 3D printable speaker plate (w/ color insert) that I'm in the process of adding to Thingiverse and will be writing up on Pinside as well. It is my first design but I'm really happy with it. Works well with the Kenwoods and I assume any other low profile 5.25" speaker.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great. And just spitballing here but by modifying the thickness of the “inner plate” (as necessary depending on the speaker) I think your design may work for non-flush speakers too?

I’ll be watching here and on thingverse for the files. Thanks!

#226 2 years ago

davegauth did you notice a big difference between the 4” and 5.25” Kickers?

I’m not going for shake the glass volume, more interested in improving quality at “normal” volumes. It’ll be for the GZ Prem I have on order. I’d prefer to keep it simple (clean!) and go with the 4” if it’ll still impress…and I will be changing out the cabinet speaker to something comparable to the Kickers as well.

1 week later
    #331 2 years ago

Dumb question time…

When putting 5 1/4” speakers in plates that were originally designed for 4” speakers I’m assuming the cutout (hole) is only 4” (or less)? Does this pose any issues with quality or is it a non issue? I understand how to get them mounted just curious if the metal “protrudes” into the path of the speaker at all and whether that’s less than ideal.

I don’t have my machine or a Stern to visualize how it all looks, but my brain is having a tough time figuring out how this would work/look.

Thanks again for all of the info on this thread.

1 week later
    #388 2 years ago

Just wanted to pass along that the speaker adapters so generously put up on thingverse by Space Coast Pinball and later modded and made public by Cheko’s mods work great on the Kicker DSC series as well. I decided to try out the DS because it’s a little less expensive and according to Kicker requires less power to drive. Since I’m not going to add external amplification (so far!) I thought I’d give them a go. When I get my GZ I’ll post results if this thread isn’t toast.

Thanks again to those that made these files available, you guys are awesome.

47461DB7-A08B-4CE1-9875-A84EDBCEF0E3 (resized).jpeg47461DB7-A08B-4CE1-9875-A84EDBCEF0E3 (resized).jpegFF0D1776-7458-43B7-BCE4-4889A66C8566 (resized).jpegFF0D1776-7458-43B7-BCE4-4889A66C8566 (resized).jpeg
    #429 2 years ago
    Quoted from gripwhip:

Amazon has the JBL Stage 810 8" new for $49.95 right now.
    amazon.com link »

Hey thanks for the tip! I live in Canada (close to the border) so I ordered one up along with my Titan order for GZ. Now all I need is my GZ Premium

2 weeks later
    #572 1 year ago
    Quoted from Good-Times:

I think the take-out of the thread is two things:
    1) Backbox speaker change/upgrade is relatively inexpensive, very simple, and very effective
    2) Cabinet sub change is really only worthwhile if you're going to use an external amplifier so it's getting more than the 16w off the integrated audio Stern outputs

Is that where this thread landed? I remember Dave saying early on that changing the cabinet speaker and backbox speakers allowed the new backbox speakers to really show their stuff, and that the sub replacement worked great as well? For the small amount of cash I paid for my JBL 810 I’m happy either way, just curious if things changed.

For my application I don’t need anything more than mid-volume, and I can’t stand the thought of bargain bin speakers in a $9k USD pinball machine….

#580 1 year ago
    Quoted from Good-Times:

There's no actual answer - this is sound and so will forever be subjective. But in my opinion and experience, small backbox speakers are designed to run on relatively modest power. With the cabinet woofer, the stock one is highly efficient and capable of running at low power (which is rare). The majority of aftermarket ones are designed for sealed enclosures with hundreds of watts being fed into them in a car audio application. You run more risk of blowing a driver by under-powering it than over-powering it, and personally I've not found any advantage to changing it unless you amplify it. You're better off running an external sub instead.
    The good thing is these mods are all inexpensive in relation to the machine, so you may find a different result. Jump in and give it a crack!

I’ll give it a go for sure! You’re absolutely right, inexpensive - and fun to mess with too.

1 week later
    #631 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

Visually I am not a fan of the Kicker Cs, anyone have a recommendations for a 5.25 speaker without the bright colors?

I’m running the kicker DS when my GZ comes in. Reviews I’ve read say that they work well in vehicles especially with low power. They don’t have the yellow. Adapter rings courtesy Sleal16

838B8A93-01B7-49BC-B88E-86B5BB4640DF (resized).jpeg838B8A93-01B7-49BC-B88E-86B5BB4640DF (resized).jpeg
    3 weeks later
    #730 1 year ago
    Quoted from hawknole:

Installed the JBL 810 in my Godzilla last night, swapped out the Goldwood. Sound changed quite a bit, actually sounds lower. Will need to go back in and re-adjust the 10 band EQ as I had it set just right for the Goldwood, will see if I can get it dialed in for the JBL.

Not sure if it helps but there’s some EQ settings buried in this thread that worked for the OP. I took a screenshot as a start for when I actually get my GZ.

864F50A8-8616-449F-AA05-6AA1A703E6D1 (resized).png864F50A8-8616-449F-AA05-6AA1A703E6D1 (resized).png
    #738 1 year ago

These are screenshots I took of EQ settings posted earlier in the thread. Still waiting to put them to use myself, so here ya go

DCD979DA-FCFF-451D-AD45-B321231F5C8D (resized).pngDCD979DA-FCFF-451D-AD45-B321231F5C8D (resized).pngEE9B7E6A-C93F-4181-B3C7-FFD8917AE026 (resized).pngEE9B7E6A-C93F-4181-B3C7-FFD8917AE026 (resized).png
    #741 1 year ago
    Quoted from fooflighter:

Thank you.. thank you.. thank you for reposting this! This changed everything. Night and day difference with the new backbox installed and an external sub add on. I was using filter off versus shelf default and the EQ tweaks are perfect. Went arounf the gameroom and tweaked all with these settings. I'm hearing stuff in DP, SW< and JP that I never heard before and the soundstage is SO much richer.

Hey thanks for posting the results! Now I know exactly what to set my stuff to once GZ has been spotted in the games room

1 month later
    #821 1 year ago

I finally got my GZ Premium and yesterday installed my 5.25” kicker DS’s and my JBL Stage 810. We play at typically lower volumes.

Initial results were “meh” until I changed the EQ as recommended. Then…whoa.

Hell Yes. Complete game changer, this is the best bang for buck mod out there for GZ and I suspect any Spike 2.

#822 1 year ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

What length are you guys getting? I clicked on the link and it brought up 3/4" which was way too long.

Yup recommend of 3/4” doesn’t work, I used some extra nyloc nuts I had as giant washers. I think 3/8” would probably be the ticket on mine.

#823 1 year ago

Double

#825 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

Can you point to which posts have the exact settings your using? (And 4ohm or 8ohm on each?) I have the same set up on same game, but I do have the 4" version instead of 5.25. I wonder how that affects how I should tune the EQ...

It’s the last post on the sticky list on page one! Dave’s original EQ settings seemed to work really well for me. Let me know!

Oh, and 8ohm all around

1 week later
    #831 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

no external amp here? I have not had time to read through all the stickies yet but I will, just waiting a bit and letting this thread ripe a bit I am wanting to up grade my music pins

No external amp, just a speaker upgrade!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pugster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/improving-sound-quality-the-diy-route?tu=pugster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.